Topic: cracks and crackles...

Hello all,

I have a fairly old computer (P4 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM), which is not really serving me well right now. I use pianoteq, and for some very complex pieces my computer is not able to cope. Inside Cubase SL3, that is.

I was wondering if there is a way to still use all the patches (I'm looking at the concert Steinway C1 mainly), but avoid the clicks and problems...

Can't lighten pianoteq too much, since I use sympathetique resonance and sustain resonance, as well as una corda and sost pedaling, a lot, for the piece.

Do you think there is a way to avoid this? It's only on some severe, fast, with lots of notes, passages...

Any ideas?

Alternatively...

I have 5-6 different midi files, around 10 minutes each. If I was to send the midi files to someone, all ready and edited out, would that person be willing to render into audio (WAV, not mp3), and send them back? This won't happen these days, but maybe next week...

Thank you all

Re: cracks and crackles...

Have you tried using Pianoteq in stand alone mode?  This might solve the problem; don't know for sure.

However if you are concerned about the noise in your wave files, you can render the midi files in Pianoteq (Export to wave) and there will be no noise.

I too have some occasional clicks when playing in real time.  If I save a midi file and have Pianoteq play it in real time it too results in clicks.  However if I load the file into Pianoteq and export it to wave, there is no noise in the wave file.

If you're still having trouble, send me a file and I'll try it here.

Glenn

If your pentium 4 has hyperthreading, you may want to enable multicore rendering, that will probably help.

If you're using Cubase, surely this can do the rendering into audio for you? See File->Export options. This is a non-realtime process so can't run out of CPU (but may take a few minutes).

Thank you all.

After further tests:

Real time export (inside Cubase), certainly does not work. It simply has noise, and even cuts of the notes...
Off time export however, it IS FASTER (which seems a little bizzare, but maybe it's compensating time from other phrases which are easier?), and it has no noise whatsoever... Thank you all!

(I still have to try the stand along pianoteq exporting in audio, but it may have to wait until I'm done editing).

Again thanks.

Nikolas