Topic: Fast Track Pro/ no sound?

Hi

I bought the Fast Track Pro after seeing Hugh Sungs Demo for Pianoteq on Utube.

The midi is connecting thru the box to the computer as i can play the Pianoteq piano on the computer and listen with headphones in the soundcard from the computer.

I bought 2 1/4 inch jacks that go from the output of the Fasttrack( audio /midi interface ) to the clavinova speakers.

IM getting no sound thru the piano or the headphone socket of the Fast Track.

Summery Midi out from piano to Fastrack to Computer
= ok (pianoteq piano plays)

Audio jacks from Fast Track to Piano

= fails/ no sound

also Fast Track headphone jack

= fail/ no sound

What am i doing wrong / how do i get sound from piano or fast track headphone socket?

Re: Fast Track Pro/ no sound?

There is a connectivity diagram on the M-Audio website at the right of this page:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

Click for an enlargement (the quality isn't terribly good), and perhaps the diagram might help.

I'm using MIDI cables from my piano to my soundcard (an EMU unit) which work well.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (06-02-2009 21:07)

Ty Glen but im still scratching my head

I have a CLP/clavinova 330

I am wanting to use the Clavinova speakers so i turned of the Local Control so the keys dont play the internal tones.

But i bought the M Audio Fast Track because Hugh Sung used it on Utube

All is fine going to the computer

But no sound gets from the Fast Track back to the speakers(clavinova)

Does the usb give sound info back to the Fast Track as well as to the computer towards Pianoteq?

In the Utube demo all he has going to the computer was a USB connection?

My setup is as follows:

An external soundcard like yours (different make but sits beside my computer).  The soundcard is connected to the computer with a proprietary cable; in your case, this would be a USB cable.

Piano MIDI OUT is connected to soundcard MIDI IN with a MIDI cable (this carries the piano generated midi information to the soundcard and to Pianoteq).

The soundcard AUDIO OUT is connected to the piano AUDIO IN with a STEREO AUDIO TRS cable (this carries the Pianoteq sound to the piano's speakers).   If the piano/soundcard/computer are close together, this cable isn't necessary for headphone listening - plug them directly into the soundcard.  I rarely use the piano's speakers - not nearly as good as my 'phones.

On the piano, I have turned the internal sound off (don't want to hear the piano sound mixed with the Pianoteq sound).

There is also a setting on the piano called TX channel - this must be set at a value of 1 for my piano, or I won't hear any sound at the piano.

Hugh connected the audio outs from the Fast Track to external PA speakers in that video.  The fast track is an audio interface (soundcard) as well as a MIDI interface.  And yes, all you will need to connect to your computer is a single USB cable.  Cool, eh?

To get sound from the Fast Track you have to assign it as your default audio interface in Windows and disable your other internal audio card.  What this does is tell your computer to route all audio information back out the USB port to your Fast Track.  Once it gets there it should be available on the headphone jack as well as from the audio outs.

Now, as far as getting the audio into your clavinova you will need to connect the audio outs from the Fast Track to the Aux Ins on your piano.  That should do it. 

What this setup will do is cause all sound that's happening on your computer to route into your piano.  Please note that I don't own a Fast Track or the CLP 330 but connecting similar devices is the same.

I hope this helps!
Curt

Curt

YOU ARE THE MAN

worked a treat, im in business !!!!! ty

ps ty Glen foor taking the time to answer too

curt wrote:

To get sound from the Fast Track you have to assign it as your default audio interface in Windows and disable your other internal audio card.  What this does is tell your computer to route all audio information back out the USB port to your Fast Track.  Once it gets there it should be available on the headphone jack as well as from the audio outs.

Now, as far as getting the audio into your clavinova you will need to connect the audio outs from the Fast Track to the Aux Ins on your piano.  That should do it. 

What this setup will do is cause all sound that's happening on your computer to route into your piano.  Please note that I don't own a Fast Track or the CLP 330 but connecting similar devices is the same.

I hope this helps!
Curt

Arghhhh,  you are so right.

Don't know how I missed this - I'll say it's because I installed my setup about five years ago, and forgot about assigning the soundcard and disabling the computer's onboard card.

Thanks for coming to the rescue.

Glenn

Glad I could be of help!

While technically you may or may not have had to disable your internal audio card (some apps handle this better than others) it just can get very messy with two pieces of hardware processing audio.  I recommended the most simple approach.

Have fun!