Topic: Subwoofer + Internal speakers instead of monitors?

Hi,

I have a Roland FP-90. According to the specs this has 2 x 3-3/16 x 4-3/4 inches up-facing speakers, and 2 x 1" tweeters. This is in-between the dimensions of a pair of 3" monitors and 4" monitors.

Has anyone tried simply mixing in a subwoofer to their internal speakers to fill in the sound at lower frequencies? Something like the Fostex PM-SUBmini 2?

I'm reluctant to add studio monitors as I don't have much space. A sub would fit neatly on the floor.

Re: Subwoofer + Internal speakers instead of monitors?

looks to me as a good idea... but you have to try by yourself I'm afraid... ;-)

I did this a couple of years ago with my Casio WK-3000.  A huge improvement, for sure, and likely enough for my small room then, but not for bigger.  Easy, however, to try, and less expensive, especially if you can borrow or temporarily repurpose a subwoofer...

:-)

- David

You might check out spkrs/powrd/subs etc. on:

Parts-Express.com

They also have tech folks that can assist.

Lanny

@tornado
A little subwoofer with small speakers is working very well here (picture).
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170203/kdqyoh68.jpg
I had the same idea to use Kawai's internal speakers some time ago, but I have terrible ground loops and digital noises in that setup. Probably hum-destroyers and changing from USB to isolated Standard-MIDI-Ports would help. But I don't like the sound of the ES3 internal speakers (maybe they are equalized for the internal Kawai sounds, don't know).

Good luck!

tornado wrote:

Hi,

I have a Roland FP-90. According to the specs this has 2 x 3-3/16 x 4-3/4 inches up-facing speakers, and 2 x 1" tweeters. This is in-between the dimensions of a pair of 3" monitors and 4" monitors.

Has anyone tried simply mixing in a subwoofer to their internal speakers to fill in the sound at lower frequencies? Something like the Fostex PM-SUBmini 2?

I'm reluctant to add studio monitors as I don't have much space. A sub would fit neatly on the floor.

Lets be real, the quality from FP-90 internal speakers are bad to really enjoy in sound. So, mixing with subwoofer is wasting time and money for subwoofer, unless you want that quality of sound which I doubt. Go for quality monitors at least 5". This is the bare minimum.

Last edited by slobajudge (03-02-2017 22:39)