Topic: How does Range work for MIDI mapping? (RPU-3 sustain pedal problem)

I am trying to expand the range of MIDI values produced by a Roland RPU-3 continuous pedal unit in order to gain half/continuous sustain functionality. Going through my keyboard's auxiliary/expression pedal input, the keyboard only puts out a MIDI range of approximately 0-30 on pedal up/down, rather than the full range of 0-127. I expect this is related to the differences in voltages produced by a volume/expression pedal vs. a continuous pedal controller such as the RPU-3.

How does the "range" function of the MIDI mapping work? The MIDI panel under the options is not really explained at all in the user manual. After mapping a controller a MIDI controller and channel to the sustain function, one is left with changes to the range function, with acceptable input values from -1 to 1. This seems to be a weighting factor of some kind, but after fooling around with it a bit I can't seem to make that control function the way I'd like.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Tom

Last edited by tfort (25-01-2017 23:20)

Re: How does Range work for MIDI mapping? (RPU-3 sustain pedal problem)

You cannot increase the range that is sent to Pianoteq... you can only scale it from what is received to what fits in Pianoteq's parameter range. In other words, if you can't get 0-127 at the MIDI input, you can't do anything about it, at least not within Pianoteq. Other MIDI processors might help you.

Hard work and guts!

I have a similar problem with my QRS pedals sensors, but my working range is 0-106 and 0-98, so it's much more serviceable.  I was told that I can't fix it except by moving the sensor so the travel is different.  Kind of disappointing, because the keys auto-range through set up.

Disappointing.

- David

EvilDragon wrote:

You cannot increase the range that is sent to Pianoteq... you can only scale it from what is received to what fits in Pianoteq's parameter range. In other words, if you can't get 0-127 at the MIDI input, you can't do anything about it, at least not within Pianoteq. Other MIDI processors might help you.

All I need to do is to be able to remap a value of say, 25, to equal 127 to get acceptable functionality. If I could also say 15=63 to get half-pedaling, that'd be even better.

I looked into the MIDISolutions boxes and they seem like they'd work, but before I'd spend $140 on one, I'd either buy a $20 switch foot pedal and forget half pedalling for now, or go down the rabbit hole of replacing pots in one of the RPU-3's pedals with a 10K ohm linear resistance potentiometer. The pedals certainly aren't complicated, it's just that the voltages produced by the pedals have to match what's expected at the keyboard.

FYI for the curious DIYers: http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/
The owner of that web site is a keyboardist and the software developer behind unrealBook. He is active on a few piano forums.

Last edited by tfort (25-01-2017 23:22)

If you can, it'd probably be best to replace the pots in the pedals themselves...

Hard work and guts!

tfort wrote:

I am trying to expand the range of MIDI values produced by a Roland RPU-3 continuous pedal unit in order to gain half/continuous sustain functionality. Going through my keyboard's auxiliary/expression pedal input, the keyboard only puts out a MIDI range of approximately 0-30 on pedal up/down, rather than the full range of 0-127. I expect this is related to the differences in voltages produced by a volume/expression pedal vs. a continuous pedal controller such as the RPU-3.

Hi Tom:

What type of keyboard is it? It may be designed for Yamaha (and other) pedals which have a different polarity than Roland.

My Kawai MP9000 works with a Yamaha FC7 in the expression pedal input. But my RPU-3 will work also if I switch the polarity.

Chris

It's an old Alesis QS8. Decent weighted keybed, good MIDI control functionality-- great candidate for use with Pianoteq! It can use pedals of either polarity by pressing down the pedal when powering on the keyboard, so that's not a problem.

I've traded a couple of emails with Niclas Fogwall from Pianoteq, and he thinks I can manually alter the pedal response curve to accomplish what I need. I haven't been able to try it out yet, but it makes logical sense.

I must say, that Pianoteq's customer support has been exceptional, I always get an email back the following day after I send in a question.  It's a huge added value to Pianoteq and a big reason of why I'm so happy I went with Pianoteq over some other software piano. The forum also adds a lot as well.

That said, the user manual could use some more detail... I still haven't figured out the exact way to use the Range option; it would only take a couple of sentences in the user manual to spell it out explicitly.

Last edited by tfort (27-01-2017 18:51)