Topic: Trying to get the right volume mix, gain staging?

A) It occurred to me that I might not have my volumes set correctly on each of the three volume nodes in the chain.
I have 1) Pianoteq's Volume Slider, 2) Focusrite 2i4 Volume ("Monitor") out, and 3)  JBL305 Volume knobs.
Is there a "best" way to set the volume?  Should I max out Pianoteq signal and reduce as I work toward the monitors?
Or do the reverse? 

B)  The reason this came up was due to a distortion I am getting playing B-flat next to middle C.  So far it seems to
occur only when playing above a certain volume level.  So I am thinking, maybe a vibration issue?  Its annoying, but
it made me start thinking about volume.

Re: Trying to get the right volume mix, gain staging?

A)

1. Reduce Pianoteq's volume to something like -9 dB, set dynamics to above 40 dB if you want real difference, and DISABLE THE LIMITER (L letter in Pianoteq's VU meter)!
2. and 3. set however you like depending on time of the day and how loud you want things (you should probably have a reference to how a real piano sounds at, say, pp to mf, then balance according to that).

B) If you had red blocks in Pianoteq's meter, you got clipping, so yeah...

Hard work and guts!

Excellent, thank you.

Now my question is, why would I want to disable the limiter?  What is the advantage?  If I ensure that
the volume will not trigger the limiter, what is the difference if it is on or not?  Processing?  Sound?

Thank you for your helpful assistance.

There's no need to have it enabled if it won't do anything, no?

Hard work and guts!

An advantage of the strategy that EvilDragon suggests is that once your system is adjusted for a suitable audio volume with Pianoteq output stage set at -9dB or something similar, you should have enough clean headroom left to increase your overall volume with the Pianoteq control up to 0dB, if needed. Useful in a live setting...you can map a controller on your keyboard to the Pianoteq volume control. You'd need to calibrate and test this in advance, of course. What was the Pianoteq setting at which you were hearing distortion?

TimN wrote:

What was the Pianoteq setting at which you were hearing distortion?

The distortion was on only two notes, B-flat and middle C.   This is why I thought it was a vibration with those
notes.

There was no clipping, but the limiter may have been triggered.  I was playing Pianoteq between 0 and -2dbq.
And it happened with each piano.  Also, I was playing far below forte on a normal velocity curve. 

Anyways, I appreciate the help.  EvilDragon's suggestion has really improved my overall sound.

scorpio wrote:

The distortion was on only two notes, B-flat and middle C.

That comment makes me wonder whether the keys on your MIDI keyboard are not regulated or calibrated well regarding velocity sensing. My StudioLogic SL88 Grand MIDI keyboard was very poorly regulated and uneven across the entire 88-key range.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (18-01-2017 17:10)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

If it is due to physical vibration (of speakers?) at certain resonant frequencies, it should not be present when you listen through headphones. If it is still present in headphones, you may have unevenness of your keyboard action, as Stephen suggests.