Topic: Some healthy competition

http://rolandus.com/products/productdet...arentId=72

Is it just me...  pianoteq seems to be in direct competition here..  hehe.  I think the v-piano kicks serious arse.  You gotta admit, it sounds very, very good. (if not, you're just being religious)  It's got what many people say is lacking from pianoteq.  Guess it's tough to go against 10 years of r&d over at roland.

I think it's all healthy competition though.  From the user's perspective, more competition partially leads to better devices and prices.  Modart's gotta muscle up to take on the big boys!

And let's not get into "it's targeted for the different audience" windy road.  It's the same small pond.

Last edited by kensuguro (16-01-2009 15:48)

Re: Some healthy competition

That seems like a very cool instrument!
Advantage over Pianoteq ofcourse is that the instrument has all the hardware adapted to its needs included, where with Pianoteq you're limited by the hardware you use...

In potential I think Pianoteq should be able to do the same thing - maybe the guys from Modartt can take a look at this and rethink the interface of Pianoteq a bit - I think there are a couple of smart ideas in the V-Piano

cheers
Hans

I agree it sounds great and has some nice features. I don't see why Pianoteq shouldn't be just as good though (new version due out soon!)

I suspect the V-Piano is going to be very, VERY expensive too!

agreed!  I'm just happy the physmod revolution's seriously catching on!

Have Modartt some role on that? A agreement between both?

Or it's just a kind of copy of Pianoteq?  Industrial spy, or something else...  ????

I still feel some thin timbre, like in Pianoteq.

I bet they paid to use Pianoteq technology on that.

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-01-2009 20:34)

I doubt it, modart isn't the only people researching physmod pianos, the field of research has been around for a while.  Roland at least claims they've been at it for the past 10 years.  Also, I'm quite sure their approach is different since it accounts for different string types, whereas if I remember correctly pianoteq uses the same model for all strings.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by kensuguro (16-01-2009 20:37)

If you are right, and this is another research, a own Roland's technology, probably you will never see their technology on a software, since they are no fools to lose hardware market .

By they way, have it a Steinway or Bosendorfer emulation???? I don't think so.

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-01-2009 20:48)

Rumors about V-Piano use 4 processor.

Imagine what Pianoteq technology could do with four times processing power...   I bet they could do a quite perfect sound.

So a comparison of technology would not be very fair right now.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread...nd_V_Piano

Pianoteq can use multiple cores now (Options at the bottom of the reverb panel), my desktop has 2 dual core processors so I assume my copy of PTQ is using 4 cores now?

But what we talk about is to use more processor applied to a more complex algorithm, able to render a more natural sound.

I still suspect Modartt it's involved with this Roland V-Piano.

BazC wrote:

Pianoteq can use multiple cores now (Options at the bottom of the reverb panel), my desktop has 2 dual core processors so I assume my copy of PTQ is using 4 cores now?

Hi Ken:

Yes, it's me the same Glenn NK on Northern Sounds and Pianoworld.

I've been predicting this for some months now - not Roland obviously, but the physical modeling of piano sounds as opposed to samples.

As I suggested over there, samples are old technology, and Roland is certainly making that abundantly clear.

Pianoteq's limitation is that they want to be able to keep gigging musicians with laptops, and others of us with lower power computers as customers.  This is just good business.

The problem is that there is now a serious competitor (although the price point of the V-Piano may come into play), that uses a dedicated computer to model the sound.

Just hit Control/Alt/Delete and look at the host of processes your computer is running in addition to Pianoteq.  Remove these and my four year old dual core AMD will kick butt too - but it needs more complex algorithms to do that.  Algorithms that Modartt can very likely produce, but ones that many of us can't utilize.

I thing the Roland is going to show the sample world just how bad they really are.

certainly agreed!  Like you, I've been searching for a physmod piano since quite a while ago (10 years), it was just a matter of time.  I'm just so glad Roland was able to pull it off.  I don't care who builds it, I just want a good physmod piano.

Actually you bring up an interesting idea.  I wouldn't mind if there was a custom OS, perhaps loosely built on linux or something, that turns any PC box into a dedicated physmod piano machine.  I'm sure that'll squeeze an extra drop or two of performance, not to mention stability.

Last edited by kensuguro (17-01-2009 07:29)

Ken:

Just after I posted my last, I was walking out to dinner with my wife, explaining to her about the latest Roland development, and by way of explanation mentioned the amount of resources of a computer that are eaten up by the Windows OS alone - this on top of everything else we may have running (Internet Explorer, Firefox, spyware, etc.).

I said to her if Pianoteq was running under MS DOS 6.0 (about the last non-windows OS by Gates and company), our current computers would just about be supercomputers, and could likely model anything that we could wish for.

When XP came out, it was considered a bit of a resource hog, and the latest incarnation from MS is by all accounts even worse (which is why I have resisted "upgrading"), and why my piano restorer friend is looking to buy a new laptop that is on XP.

Hmmm, I wonder if Pianoteq could have a MS DOS version I could put onto a new computer (I still have a set of disks for 6.0)?  Just joking of course, but it makes one realize that the Roland machine doesn't really need a lot of horsepower if it's all dedicated to just one task.

Glenn

Wow, I'm very impressed. I think it will be very expensive though.
Different settings for limited keyboard ranges is also what I would like to see in the next version of PianoTeq (hopefully the standard version...). The "metallic sound" setting too.

Anyway, I don't see any reason for PianoTeq to keep features and realism down for the sake of low power computers. A "simulation complexity" slider could be added so that people with more powerful computers could get advantage of their processing power.

For those who want to compare side by side, we extracted a short excerpt from one of the Rolan videos and recorded a similar scale with Pianoteq:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...Ascale.mp3
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...Bscale.mp3

Concerning cpu power: throwing more cpu does not automatically improve the sound, you need to know what to do with that extra cpu power! Besides, current cpus are way more powerful than any DSP, even for pure DSP tasks. Each core of a 2GHz "Core 2" can achieve 16 GFlops (single precision) at its peak, now if you look at the DSP specs from TI, Analog Devices etc, the most powerful (and very expensive) ones are all in the 1-4 GFlops league. Also, a bare Windows (or MacOS, or Linux) does not steal so much cpu power. No more than a few percents, as long as you don't have a virus scanner crawling your hard drive, or a browser opened with tons of flash applets running in the background, etc.

so you're saying possible to achieve better results on a cpu, if a better model could be written.  Sounds cool.  It would be very convenient to have the synth running on the cpu if possible...  of course, if the results could par or be better than v-synth or any other hardware.

Last edited by kensuguro (17-01-2009 14:04)

I must remamber evryone here of a important aspect about make comparisons.  Play and listen are quite different.

When I listen a recorded Pianoteq music, I sounds quite more natural than when I play Pianoteq.
We listened to V-Piano, but I'm sure if we would play it, we would find some imperfections here and there.

My sugestion to Modart is about to create a different Pianoteq model written to powerfull computer. Or just a option to change from one model set of algorithms to other.  And for mp3 recording even a slow CPU could use the complex algorithms, since don't need to be real time.
Now they have a good reason to develope this idea.

Pianoteq started as a small group, and achieve fine results before anyone. Roland it's a giant of musical instruments, with many reasearch teams and milions of dollars to invest.
    So I conclude then V-Piano do not overcome the great work of Philippe.

Great to hear the comparison mpegs: PianoTeq clearly creates an equally realistic sound. (But they do sound different? Is the Roland a little brighter, or closer? Probably only the settings specific to the presets...)

Regardless, Roland doesn't seem to have published a list of all of the parameters yet, or even jpegs of the software editor. From what little I've read, there may be only a few working models--at namm, they don't have one available for people to play at their booth, just the one played in the demo videos.

I have to admit that I do understand the appeal of having everything inside the keyboard. But the V-Piano seems to have a fairly small screen and one knob devoted to everything. I guess you press a button to choose a parameter and then use the knob to adjust it. So the software editor turns out to be essential for deep editing--otherwise, you can't see the settings for more than one parameter at a time?

I had never played a Ivory keyboard, but my teacher once said that was difficult to play, and plastic keys cover was bether than Ivory.  Ivory would be rusty and cause more harm to the finger.

Does anybody agree with that????

Interesting comparison - the scales done by the Roland and Pianoteq.

First I must confess that when I listened to them I didn't know which was which (couldn't find any hints in the texts, so it was a blind test).

So I went back to the Roland video, and recorded the scale myself on my wave editor as it was played.  Using back and forth comparison (and looking at the wave shapes which can be very revealing) I concluded that the A-scale is the Roland.  The clincher was that the first note of the scale I recorded myself and the first note of the A-scale version is either out of tune or the pianist struck two notes simultaneously.

The Pianoteq scale doesn't suffer from this.

And again, after listening to the three scales over and over, I'm staying with Pianoteq thank you very much.  I have nothing against Roland, in fact I'm using my second Roland DP, and like their products (except for their manuals), and my keyboard touch is very good.

The advantages I could see with the Roland-V are:

1.  Being able to map out different areas of the keyboard (splits), and

2.  Having one dedicated package that doesn't rely on components (computer, sound card, monitor, cables).

The disadvantage will almost surely be the price - someone guessed at around $7,000 US.  This wouldn't surprise me.

Beto-Music wrote:

I had never played a Ivory keyboard, but my teacher once said that was difficult to play, and plastic keys cover was better than Ivory.  Ivory would be rusty and cause more harm to the finger.

Does anybody agree with that????

Are you familiar with the term "urban legend"?  I think this is an urban legend (urban legends are usually nonsense and are based on half-truths).

I grew up learning on an upright manufactured about the turn of the century (1900), and it had ivory covered keys.

Apparently I suffered no harm, nor did my mother/piano teacher, nor any of her students.  The feel was actually quite nice, and not difficult at all.

Last edited by Glenn NK (17-01-2009 19:19)

I listened closely to the mp3 A-B comparison of a C# scale passage suggested by Philippe, and, although it was not clearly specified, by listening again to the Roland video (about halfway at the Vintage Piano title) I found that probably A was the Roland instrument and B pianoteq with the Erard preset.

I was not sure because A may sound a bit like one of the earlier C1 or C2 preset which I find have some less realistic sections. I think Philippe might have chosen this passage because it may show the progress in the naturalness of the presets over the years. The Erard is much more natural-sounding and I don't know if this is due to better analysis techniques of the real instrument or rendering possibilities added with each versions.

Also, A suffers from a very thin sounding upper register, reminding me of the earlier looping sample pianos when memory was limiting the length of high frequency loops. If you look closely at the Roland video, you will find that most of the playing is in the low to mid registers with arpeggios to the high notes with pedal on.

I play on a 10 year old Yamaha P80, which was probably one of the most natural sounding at the time, and I was very surprised when I stumbled upon this forum entry which compared the P80 itself and pianoteq on smal Chopin excerpts:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultim...tml#000003

Now these examples focus on the mid and lower part of the register which explains why both sound very similar to my ear. Maybe Roland has some work to do still...

On the cpu usage, I would like to say that on my Windows XP machine (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz dual core with 2 GB memory) there is absolutely no problem, pianoteq using only 10-15% of cpu at idle and 25-30% while playing the included Chopin waltz at 48kHz sampling and with unlimited polyphony.

I can't see why Roland needs 4 cpus (if they are all used for computing the model and not simply controlling the keyboard, pedals etc.) unless their model lacks the algorithmic optimisations that surely went into pianoteq and are unique to it. It is one thing to program equations in a straightforward fashion and another to devise new ways of calculating a mathematical model. I suspect a lot of very clever programming went in the design of pianoteq to obtain such a good product and not so much in a simplification of the model itself. (I may be wrong of course...)

I say this because I did quite a lot of scientific programming myself and I remember accelerating by a factor of 100 a badly written program with simple factoring techniques. As a better example, consider the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) algorithm which is about 100 times faster than the original DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform). Efficient programming is important and cannot be entirely compensated by faster cpus.

Sorry for the long post! Sometimes there is a lot to say...

Demo from the 2009 NAMM Show of Roland’s new V-Piano, by Scott Tibbs.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/roland/

If you can stand the poor YouTube sound and the constant drum banging in the background!

Shows a little more of the UI. The player seems to enjoy himself though.

Gilles wrote:

I say this because I did quite a lot of scientific programming myself and I remember accelerating by a factor of 100 a badly written program with simple factoring techniques. As a better example, consider the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) algorithm which is about 100 times faster than the original DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform). Efficient programming is important and cannot be entirely compensated by faster cpus.

This is absolutely so true, and also a reason why we still love Pianoteq.

I have nothing against Roland, I just don't "gel" well with their gear. But props for making a modelled piano instrument. It's not easy, we all know that.

Let's see what the rest of the Big 3 has to say.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I have nothing against Roland, I just don't "gel" well with their gear. But props for making a modelled piano instrument. It's not easy, we all know that.

Let's see what the rest of the Big 3 has to say.

I know what you mean about Roland - I have a KR-7 and might as well have thrown the manual away, except that the piano isn't terribly intuitive either.  But it sure sounds nice now with Pianoteq.  Did I mention that I really like PT?

As for the rest of the Big Three - if they didn't see this coming, then they were asleep.  Oh well, for their fans, they can always buy Pianoteq. (roflmao).

I say this because I've listened to the latest samples and keep up with the latest DP's, and have never heard a sound that convinced me.  Some sample libraries are (to me) truly pathetic.

lol, a loyal group of users.  that's some strong following there!

Last edited by kensuguro (18-01-2009 05:01)

Glenn NK wrote:

As for the rest of the Big Three - if they didn't see this coming, then they were asleep.  Oh well, for their fans, they can always buy Pianoteq. (roflmao)

Well I think Korg probably keeps something under a deep hush-hush. Their software coders are awesome - look what they did with Korg Legacy Collections! They have great coders, and I think they might well overrun both Yamaha and Roland, who are somehow oblivious to softsynths.

For example, why isn't Roland making an improved D50 VSTi? I'm sure people would buy those just for the sake of increased polyphony they would (probably) get. But nooo, Roland doesn't believe in softsynths. Same thing can go about Yummy. OTOH, Korg has jumped on the bandwagon, and made two brilliant VSTs. That's the way to do it.

Hard work and guts!

I checked out the demo before I went to NAMM and made sure to stop and see this, as I have too many libraries, but not a single one I can use for everything. Funny as it seems, Black Grand is still my choice in an ensemble. But for solo work it lacks the third hand ( sostenuto ) that is so vital for so many styles.
Modartt's pedals are simply the best, and Roland has now equality on that aspect. But it does have a very good Piano sound, but still lacks the editabilty that I would like to see. Downside of the Roland is it's ridiculous price.
I am sure because of the R & D involved, the hardware and the hilarious video of the Scientists wearing the white coats. I can't believe that they think there's people who actually believe this farce.
Dear Modartt guys......do you have to wear these silly coats and gloves to carry around radioactive chips? Ir's absurd and personally insulting to anyone who just wants a great product w/o all of the overhead and hype.
I find that the global editing does not help on these modelled instruments, as one tweak to change the sound in the upper ocatves has a pronounced effect on the entire range of notes.
The action and sound of the V Piano are good.
I think Modartt can in time do even better.
Since I love your pedals, and the idea of having 4 or 5 great models sharing a single instance and MIDI channel, I think Modartt can make Roland sweat it's huge R & D they have out into the V Piano. I still don't like the time based effects of either, but the option to close that and use the resources for other chores is great.
I also played the VAX77 and if Modartt could implement the new MIDI CC# 88 it would surely topple the competition.
Playing the V Piano I can only hear 5 to 6 different timbres using ppp to sfz. The VAX77 allowed me to play 8 to 9 using a Receptor and Ivory Piano. I don't care much for the Ivory although it sounds good, there again they seem to think sostenuto pedals won't be needed, since Piano players don't buy software,...I suppose. I beg to differ.
But the action on the VAX77 is weird to me. It does pushback on my fingers like a real Piano but pushing down would take a little getting use to as there is no resistance. So they have half of the equation.

I still think a nice Fatar keybed in a controller that uses the MIDI 2 CC#88, w/ a future Modartt will be the ticket. Until then I will buy hardware synths and DSP racks while I wait.

I am very optimistic though. If Roland releases a reasonably priced 1U of V Piano, it would still be quite expensive, probably around half of the price of the V Piano.

I say Modartt has a great advantage here, and time is on their side.

Orevua,

TJV

Last edited by teamsterjim (18-01-2009 14:56)
Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

EvilDragon wrote:

Well I think Korg probably keeps something under a deep hush-hush. Their software coders are awesome - look what they did with Korg Legacy Collections! They have great coders, and I think they might well overrun both Yamaha and Roland, who are somehow oblivious to softsynths.

For example, why isn't Roland making an improved D50 VSTi? I'm sure people would buy those just for the sake of increased polyphony they would (probably) get. But nooo, Roland doesn't believe in softsynths. Same thing can go about Yummy. OTOH, Korg has jumped on the bandwagon, and made two brilliant VSTs. That's the way to do it.

Roland and Yamaha do seem a bit slow on the software front, but they are BIG, so can potentially just acquire successful software companies, or at least form strategic alliances. For example, Yamaha own Steinberg, and Roland are majority shareholders in Cakewalk. The Yamaha and Roland brands themselves are synonymous with hardware. Maybe they want to keep it that way.

teamsterjim wrote:

Dear Modartt guys......do you have to wear these silly coats and gloves to carry around radioactive chips?

For radioactive chips we feel more comfortable with this kind of suit:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/img/radioactive.jpg

Concerning my previous post, the guesses were correct:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...Ascale.mp3
was extracted from the beginning of the third Roland video, and
was made with a Pianoteq version under work.

Last edited by Philippe Guillaume (18-01-2009 16:25)

Philippe, are you considering the possibility of offer Pianoteq technology to be incorporated to a strong rival of Roland?

Could be very interesting and a good business oportunity.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-01-2009 16:43)

Beto-Music wrote:

Philippe, are you considering the possibility of offer Pianoteq technology to be incorporated to a strong rival of Roland?

Could be very interesting and a good business oportunity.

I'd like to see Korg nailing Yamaha and Roland with this, as I'm a Korg fanboy actually

Hard work and guts!

Mon Frère Guillaume,
I am glad to see you have a sense of humor along with the expertise that will save me from this world of genericism.
I shall be following your successes w/PTeq.
Just recently a favorite developer of Sample creations announced the " Alicia Keys Piano ", which sounds really good, but when asked about sostenuto pedals, the lack of a reply was their answer. ( footnote below )

I'm counting on you guys, and although I would purchase a V Piano rack, I doubt we will see one for a couple of years, and even then it will be a Piano only.
Consider me your Ringman at a Boxing match....

Le Mieux De Chance.

TJV

I apologise for the editing,,,,,,,I recieved a reply that sostenuto pedals will be implemented on the above Piano, so by summertime I will have 2 choices now. Excellent news.
For years I have wanted this, it requires lots of programming skills in sampling, or PhysMod.

Last edited by teamsterjim (24-01-2009 18:58)

guillaume wrote:

A bare Windows does not steal so much cpu power. No more than a few percents, as long as you don't have a virus scanner crawling your hard drive, or a browser opened with tons of flash applets running in the background, etc.

I've been having trouble hearing clicks while playing live or playing a midi file in real time (no problems rendering to wave).  I've gone to Production Forums for help (the EMU forum) and have discussed the problem with Niclas.

After reading your comment above, I "killed" AVG, and installed Avast (which is easier to disable), and it seems to have solved the problem.

So - a big thank you for the tip about "virus scanner crawling" the HDD.

Unfortunately, my "music computer" is also my "photography computer", so it must share resources with Pianoteq.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

After reading your comment above, I "killed" AVG, and installed Avast (which is easier to disable), and it seems to have solved the problem.

NOD is by far the most transparent AV out there. Try it. It's the best, too.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
Glenn NK wrote:

NOD is by far the most transparent AV out there. Try it. It's the best, too.

Where were you two days ago when I needed help?  LOL

Might have a look at it.  Thanks.

Glenn

icchh...  antivirus is notorious for stealing cpu cycles..

It'll be interesting to see Korg's take on physmod piano... they started the VA era with Prophecy and introduced rhodes modeling with Z1..  they're were serious about physmod in general that's for sure.

Last edited by kensuguro (19-01-2009 06:11)

I am not spending another dime on worthless Libraries or hardware again, as I am weary of the same crap.
I look to Modartt to rescue me w/ stinged instrument Phys. Mod.

BazC wrote:

I don't see why Pianoteq shouldn't be just as good though (new version due out soon!)

Pianoteq new version out soon? Is this a fact?

Mulperi wrote:

"We wish we could give you a good estimation but unfortunately that is difficult as the new version is not fully developed and tested. These things take time but let us just say that 6 months or sooner is not unrealistic."

That was posted by Fogwall in another thread on 21/10/08. Obviously there is no guarantee that this was an accurate estimate though, there's always room for delays in software development!

BazC wrote:
Mulperi wrote:

"We wish we could give you a good estimation but unfortunately that is difficult as the new version is not fully developed and tested. These things take time but let us just say that 6 months or sooner is not unrealistic."

That was posted by Fogwall in another thread on 21/10/08. Obviously there is no guarantee that this was an accurate estimate though, there's always room for delays in software development!

We cannot tell the exact date yet, but we can tell that it will come out before the date that was estimated on 21/10/08.

guillaume wrote:

We cannot tell the exact date yet, but we can tell that it will come out before the date that was estimated on 21/10/08.

Excellent! Thanks for the news!

Philippe, what model did you use to create the comparison with the V-Piano?

Was Sebastien Erard add-on or a own Pianoteq model from the upcoming new version?

Seeing the new V-Piano, $6000 at B&H, weighing in at 83 pounds, and if fully hooked up to its 4 outs (spread your speakers about), this is a cumbersome affair. I'll wait a few years, thank you. So here is my shaggy dog tale: I own three grand pianos (Baldwin Concert Grand, 9'; Yamaha C7, 7'6", and a 7" foot Kimball I put into public places - a "junk" grand). I own the Ivory software, the NI software grand, Pianteq, and use other software pianos for varied work. I love Pianoteq but like ALL software pianos it too falls short in a most important way. On  an acoustic grand piano play and hold down one key (mid register) and listen to how the note/sound develops. The sound will evolve through several audible slow moving "waves", the first wave deep, rising sharply from the "bottom" of its curve; a second wave, less deep, wider, slower rise, third wave, less deep, even wider, slower rise. We are seldom educated, in our early years, to listen for these waves. In the beginning and end these waves are what creates personality/aesthetics of a piano. If you play two notes, slowly, playing the second note just as the first wave of the first note reaches its bottom, you will "feel" that second note entering into you in a powerful, elemental, emotional way. Were you to play that second note at the top, or start of the second wave, a non-emotional response, will be evoked. In ceremonial bell ringing (as the Buddhists use), the striking of the bell is given to those who instinctually know how. The bells repetitive rings are at the top of the waves, ceremonial in "feel", not at the bottom of the waves. I was first out of the gate to get Ivory, and yes, nice sound, NO waves, no true cyclic waves present. Good rhythmic playing depends upop circadean cycles. The little gears in a watch ticking back and forth so that every so often a bigger gear moves, that will move until the biggest gear moves. The same with playing and holding one note, very very slowly, to playing rapidly and "floating" the sound in a circadean way. I play at many kinds of events, church being one of them.  If only Pianoteq could find the "waves" - I latched on to Pianoteq because it was original, it was a "new" generation of piano. Just duplicate the sound of one note and it's first three waves. THAT will be most satisfying.

We are seldom educated, in our early years, to listen for these waves. In the beginning and end these waves are what creates personality/aesthetics of a piano. If you play two notes, slowly, playing the second note just as the first wave of the first note reaches its bottom, you will "feel" that second note entering into you in a powerful, elemental, emotional way. Were you to play that second note at the top, or start of the second wave, a non-emotional response, will be evoked. In ceremonial bell ringing (as the Buddhists use), the striking of the bell is given to those who instinctually know how. The bells repetitive rings are at the top of the waves, ceremonial in "feel", not at the bottom of the waves.

it sounds like a lot was summarized here, and I'm failing to grasp what your are trying to communicate.  Can you expand on this a little more?  It sounds like you're describing good legato playing..  and I don't quite get the bell ringing example.. (more info would help)

The 3 "waves" you speak of sounds a little vague to me..  are you speaking of 3 waves (as in "phases", or "stage") of an entire key stroke?  Or just the release portion..

sounds to me you have all this stuff internalized in your own language, which is highly efficiently compressed... and it's not coming out in a generally intelligible way.  but I'm curious as to what you meant to say.

disregard

Last edited by Scarbee (20-01-2009 19:14)

guillaume wrote:

Wow, now I'm even more impressed!
Could we hear a preview of the bass section too?
Or even better, would it be possible to make a whole preview section (forum thread?) dedicated to the next PianoTeq version to hype people up until it gets released?

Last edited by s12a (21-01-2009 09:44)

I'm also curious, and would like to hear a longer mp3 example of the upcoming version.

But perhaps Philippe want to keep some suspense clime aorund here.

I bet they are taking so long cause they want to make a very nice surprise for us.   A fine improviment in sound timbre, and several new features on interface with new adjusts.
Just my bet...

s12a wrote:
guillaume wrote:

Wow, now I'm even more impressed!
Could we hear a preview of the bass section too?
Or even better, would it be possible to make a whole preview section (forum thread?) dedicated to the next PianoTeq version to hype people up until it gets released?

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-01-2009 17:40)

It's good to see some competition.  In the demos, I hear roland v-piano to have more natural sound than pianoteq.  I'm eager to see the end product of pianoteq's new version.  Hopefully it'll be more natural than the Bscale.mp3.

Hopefully it's got a preset for "American Piano"