Topic: velocity curves explained?

Hi,
Could someone either help explain, or point me to a resource that helps explain velocity curves in principle.

I understand the principle of helping PT translate perhaps a limited range of midi values (as on my N2) to the full range, but I thought this would mainly be limited to effects on volume.

I've found that some PT instruments sound as if they're being played in a back bedroom. Adjusting the velocity curve totally changes not just the volume, but the whole timbre of the sound. I've followed the calibration tool in PT, but it doesn't seem to have a major effect on the sound. Is it just a case of playing around with it to find the best sound or is there more of a science to this?

And if anyone has a good velocity curve example for any of the Avantgrands, it would be really useful to see it. Thanks.

Re: velocity curves explained?

Higher velocity = harder hammers. Harder hammers mainly cause brighter sound. In Standard version you can change the hardness directly.

Velocity curve in Pianoteq in basically for adjusting MIDI keyboards, but even in some factory Pianoteq presets it's used for timbre changing. IMHO this is a mistake (for example, what if you want to adjust such an preset for your keyboard), but it's anyway a great tool for timbre adjusting in Stage version.

Last edited by Ross (07-12-2016 19:09)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

chriswarren wrote:

I understand the principle of helping PT translate perhaps a limited range of midi values (as on my N2) to the full range, but I thought this would mainly be limited to effects on volume.

dependent of the sound/Piano Model has a softer keystroke vs. a harder one also a effect on the brightness of the sound.
this has not necessarily to be something linear over the whole Velocity curce

I for example run into problems with the Bluthner model when i switched the board.
while allready quite at home with programming my prefered Velocity curves hav i had hard times at first to arrive with the new Board ( Kronos X73 vs. Studiologic SL88 Grand )
This might serve as a good example to show how usefull it is to learn and beeing able to peogramm your own curves.
its really not hard, you just have to begin and see how the sound changes.
give you 2-3 3o minutes and you´re familiar with it.

chriswarren wrote:

Hi,
And if anyone has a good velocity curve example for any of the Avantgrands, it would be really useful to see it. Thanks.

i personally like a "soft" curve.
it looks like an S.
first the curve is flat, then i put the steeper part into that velocity range that my average keystrokes have, i check how hard my hard strikes are and give them something like velocity 120, ........having velocity 120-127 "free" for strikes harder than i usually would play.
( me: no trained pianist ! not a pianist in any sense at all. But really playing Piano )

i´d say, the more soundchange a pianomodel has vs. velocity the less free might you be to programm what you want.
you might have to have an eye for the sound sweetspots of the used model.
Bluthner for example, IMHO.

Helpful hint to all concerned:

When adjusting the velocity curve, in those areas along the curve where the line is "steeper", this corresponds to an "expansion" of the velocity curve.  Restated, a little higher velocity played ===> more velocity received by Pianoteq modeling software.

The opposite is true:  In those areas along the curve where the line is "flatter" (more close to sideways), this corresponds to a "compression" of the velocity curve.  Restated, a lot higher change in velocity played ===> only a little increase in velocity received by Pianoteq modeling software.

I suppose these changes help smooth out any inconsistencies in the way a given electronic keyboard sends out note-on velocities over the entire keyboard.  (It is possible that some 'boards have relative"dead spots" and other parts of the keyboard have relative "hot spots" -- the velocity curve adjustment is sort of like an "equalizer" in that you get a fairly even velocity response as you play the notes from pp to ff.)

By the way, the same is true with some acoustic pianos:  there are areas where the soundboard isn't as responsive, so you have to play notes in a certain octave -- a little harder -- than you would normally play them, to get the sound you really want.  On the other hand, some real acoustic pianos have notes that, for whatever reason they've become less regulated, "stick out" like the proverbial sore thumb -- in which case, you learn to go a little easy on those hot-sounding notes.

Enough of my rambling, hope this helps explain some of the mystique behind velocity curves.

Cheers,

Joe

thanks for the responses gents.

I hadn't quite clicked that I can use the velocity curves to adjust particular ranges in my DP. As Joe mentions, when I had my acoustic grand there were certainly some flat spots at some points along the range, and high spots either side of the "breaks" etc.