Topic: Getting a similar sound

Hello!
I'm new to Pianoteq, I just purchased the Stage version. I use a basic set up: a Core i3 laptop, budget (but good enough) headphones and a Casio Privia PX 160.
I love it so far, but I wanted some help with this.

I want to know which Pianoteq piano is the most similar to the one heard in this video:

https://youtu.be/uSgst7Pq7w4

The mids sound dominant, the lows don't overpower them. (Sorry for the lack of technical language ) Is it a piano thing or is it my fault for playing the lower notes too hard? I could upload the song performed by me in the D4 if you want.

I currently own the D4 and K2 pianos, and I don't know too much about technical stuff and tuning, so I just adjusted the velocity settings. The Stage version won't let me modify the tuning and the parameters too much.

What's the closest I can get to that sound with the Stage version limitations? Remember I can't use Standard and Pro FXPs either.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting a similar sound

The quality that stood out for me, immediately, was there was almost no dynamic range.  What does this mean?  When the pianist used a very light touch at the beginning -- AND when he played much harder -- the volume hardly changed!  Now, this might be an artifact of audio compression in a youtube video, but this is what characterized the entire video for me.

So, you can emulate this effect in Pianoteq by sliding the Dynamics Slider (the bottom slider in the very center bottom of the first screen -- just above the simulated piano keyboard) to the left, down to approximately 6 to 10dB.  In this way, soft playing will sound louder, and hard playing won't get that much louder.  You may use either the K2 or the D4 in your Stage Version of Pianoteq ... If Stage will allow you to increase the amount of reverb, then raise its loudness too.

Happy playing,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:

So, you can emulate this effect in Pianoteq by sliding the Dynamics Slider (the bottom slider in the very center bottom of the first screen -- just above the simulated piano keyboard) to the left, down to approximately 6 to 10dB.

Thanks for the help! I will try it.

Just a quick question: What is the "normal" level of the Dynamics Slider? I mean, for daily practice of different types of music.

Thanks again!

Last edited by LeCarl (02-12-2016 19:50)

LeCarl wrote:
jcfelice88keys wrote:

So, you can emulate this effect in Pianoteq by sliding the Dynamics Slider (the bottom slider in the very center bottom of the first screen -- just above the simulated piano keyboard) to the left, down to approximately 6 to 10dB.

Thanks for the help! I will try it.

Just a quick question: What is the "normal" level of the Dynamics Slider? I mean, for daily practice of different types of music.

Thanks again!

My personal preference for the dynamics slider is anywhere from 30dB to 36dB.  Some people use higher levels (65+dB).  When I first acquired Pianoteq many years ago, I also used to run the dynamics "way" too high like that. 

It turns out that the dynamics slider should be thought of as a "downward expander" for volume.  Why?  The maximum volume is fixed by the LED display; otherwise you will go into digital clipping and the sound will be horrendous.  So, a downward expander makes the quiet passages "quietER".

As I recall, from the video you asked us to simulate, you will notice the loudness was essentially "all-loud, all-the-time."  This is an instant verification that the dynamic range was highly "compressed" to remain loud, regardless of whether one played with a light or a heavy touch.

Cheers,

Joe

cfelice88keys wrote:

otherwise you will go into digital clipping and the sound will be horrendous

Surely reducing the volume slider counteracts that? Setting the volume lower should stop any clipping.

I use a dynamics value of about 46 and keep wondering if its too low or too high - haven't found my sweet spot yet.

Aidan wrote:

I use a dynamics value of about 46 and keep wondering if its too low or too high - haven't found my sweet spot yet.

I use it with a value of 40, which I think is the default value. Sounds good to me. I tried to go higher but I didn't like it.