Topic: Any New Digital Pianos?

Hello All,

I've been away from digital pianos for a while and was wondering if there are any new models worth mentioning in the last year or so. 

Last year I bought a Kawai baby grand and have been playing on that for hours everyday.  My hands feel great, too.  Since I've stopped playing on digital pianos, all my hand problems (tendonitis and so on) magically went away.  My VPC1 is accumulating a layer of dust.  For anyone who is having hand or arm problems, beware of digital pianos.  There is something very different about playing on a digital piano and a grand piano.

Still, I haven't given up on digital pianos.  I really want them to be good and wish someone would make a good one so I could get back to using pianoteq.

--Ryan

============

Re: Any New Digital Pianos?

rjawad1 wrote:

Last year I bought a Kawai baby grand ...

Since I've stopped playing on digital pianos, all my hand problems (tendonitis and so on) magically went away.  My VPC1 is accumulating a layer of dust.  For anyone who is having hand or arm problems, beware of digital pianos.  There is something very different about playing on a digital piano and a grand piano.

As a devil's advocate thing I'd wonder if your seating position and posture changed when you switched to the baby grand ( from digitals ).  This would seem the most likely cause of a reduction in hand and arm issues - i.e. maybe with your digital keyboard you weren't positioned well with respect to the keys.

Any thoughts on that possibility ?

StephenG

Hi sjgcit,

Thanks for your response. 

No, it's not the position.  I actually have another baby grand which I've played on since I was a kid.  When I set up my digital piano, I took all the measurements from that, including the bench height and key distance from the floor. 

I've experimented with bench height in the past.  The only thing I ever noticed is that if I sit too low, my thumbs will contact the keys further back (away from the tips) and they end up getting a little sore.

But this is nothing like the problems I've had with my hands since I started playing on digital pianos 6-7 years ago.  It seems obvious to me now, but at the time, I couldn't figure out what was causing it.  What problems did I have?  Soreness on the tops of the hands, weakness in fingers (unable to 'stand' on a finger), tightness going back to the elbow, burning hands, a feeling like a need to stretch my forearms, a pulling feeling when I opened my hand wide (like someone was pulling strings to make my hand close).  When it was really bad, I couldn't write or type on the computer.

I thought the problem was caused by something I was eating or some exercise I was doing.  I didn't think it was the digital piano, because I didn't really notice much difference in touch -- certainly not such a difference that would cause physical problems.  I had several different digital pianos - yamahas, casios, kawais, rolands.  For a time I thought I was just getting older and couldn't play piano everyday anymore.  So I would play twice a week or even once a week. 

Last year, the piano at my school became unbearable.  It kept falling out of tune, and I was tired of tuning it.  So, I decided to take my VCP1 there.  This meant that I no longer practiced on it at home.  True, I played a little at school on the digital piano, but there it's very easy music.  Just a starting pitch for the choir or a simple hymn -- nothing technical.  Within a few months, my hand problems started to go away.  Keep in mind, I was still playing on my baby grand at home.  After 1/2 a year, my hands have basically recovered.  I'd say 95%.

When I think back, it should have been obvious to me.  After I would finish practicing on the digital piano, my hands would feel tired and sore, especially on the tops of the hands.  It's too bad, really.  I don't know what's the difference between the two pianos.  Maybe someone can figure it out.  It's something to do with the action.  I know that my hands would feel really bad after drilling so called 'hammer' passages.  One particular example comes to mind:  Var 12 of Mendelssohn's Variations Serieuses.  There, you have to work much harder on the digital piano.  Something about how the key bounces back.

Does it have anything to do with the volume settings?

For example,  if you set the digital piano quieter,  "just for practice," perhaps your brain tries to play your hands harder,  subconsciously,  to restore the muscle-memory-tone relations which it learned during childhood.  Therefore,  while you are consciously trying to give yourself a break,  you're mechanically subconsciously working harder than ever!

Last edited by dklein (27-11-2016 11:55)
- David

Dklein,

That's a possibility, but I somehow don't think that's the problem. I only play with headphones.  I have a very nice pair of headphones (Sennheiser 650) and I typically turn the volume up as much as I can without it being uncomfortable.  I have no reason to play with the piano muted.  But then again, it is difficult to compare the volume output from headphones with the volume from an acoustic piano.

I hope you guys figure this one out. Very curious...

It seems that the strong variables are X-the VPC1 and Y-a Kawai baby grand. I don't know enough about the actions in either to understand the physical piece... Could the angle that the keys move on make a difference? What I mean is the length of the key relative to its balance or pivot point.

You've addressed the seating/keyboard height and volume compensation.

Analyst wrote:

I hope you guys figure this one out. Very curious...

It seems that the strong variables are X-the VPC1 and Y-a Kawai baby grand. I don't know enough about the actions in either to understand the physical piece... Could the angle that the keys move on make a difference? What I mean is the length of the key relative to its balance or pivot point.

You've addressed the seating/keyboard height and volume compensation.

Hello Mr. Analyst,

You have addressed a very important variable, namely, the physical length of the key relative to its pivot point.  Another subtle variable involves the "depth" of key travel, especially if the VPC-1's key "bottoms out" before one might anticipate for an acoustic Kawai grand.

Something else to consider is that, while playing a grand piano of almost any length, the physical size/area of any real grand piano's soundboard might be hundreds of times larger than the combined physical cross-sectional areas of all of an electronic piano's multiple speakers.  In addition, one has to only depress the damper pedal while playing a Kawai baby grand (or larger instrument) to allow all harmonically related piano strings to vibrate sympathetically -- something that does not really happen to the same degree in an electronic instrument.  Restated, one does not have to "work as hard" to move the same volume of air when playing a acoustic grand piano ... that you sometimes have to work when playing an electronic instrument.  No, turning up the volume does not give the same effect.

Using an analogy of electrical engineering terms, voltage (i.e., force of individual electrons) and amperage (i.e., physical amount of electrons present), the act of turning up the volume of an electronic instrument is analogous to turning up the voltage; raising the acoustic volume of air is analogous to increasing the amperage of the signal.  (Slightly off-topic:  this comparison is even more apparent when trying to play an electronic church organ loudly, as compared to the sheer mass of air that a real acoustic pipe organ is able to move -- another example of the voltage versus amperage analogy.)

Cheers,

Joe

Joe, your points resonate with me.  I have played acoustic pianos, mainly grands for over half a century.  The last one I owned was a Kawai RX2.  I now have - for various reasons - a Kawai ES7, playing Pianoteq instruments, solely through speakers.  I have also recently had access to an acoustic grand, a Kawai RXA. I find the RXA easier to play than the ES7. Whenever I have a break from the ES7 - illness/holiday etc - it takes quite a while to get the touch right.  I sound like a beginner, whereas I can pick up the different touch on the RXA very quickly. So I think I do have to work harder at producing the sounds I want from the digital, especially in terms of dynamic gradations. It's down to the action. Conversely, the RXA needs more use of the sustain pedal than the ES7 - which I think is down to Pianoteq's modelling.
Re digital action design, competent classical musicians are still looking for an acoustic-style digital action at anything like an affordable price.  I believe the VPC1 is better than the ES7, but clearly not good enough for the OP. (Yes, the Variations Serieuses do tax the action as well as the player)
Maybe it will never be possible to produce a keybed for a DP which feels just like playing an acoustic. Pianoteq is getting very close with the sound/playability.  The limitation possibly lies with the action beyond the keys themselves, not the length of the keys, which are in any case usually woefully short.

I think the difference between of the keyboard synthesizer of present tool is that in this keyboard, you can get sound from the rapid of superficial pushing (giving the momentum malleus), and must always be synthesisers press almost to the end. This manifests itself in the hands of great tension during long game technically sophisticated products.

scherbakov.al wrote:

I think the difference between of the keyboard synthesizer of present tool is that in this keyboard, you can get sound from the rapid of superficial pushing (giving the momentum malleus), and must always be synthesisers press almost to the end. This manifests itself in the hands of great tension during long game technically sophisticated products.

Hello Mr. Scherbakov,

I think you may have hit upon a great concept here.  The major difference between electronic- and analog grand piano keyboards is that the former must be (nearly) always depressed to the keybed.   With an acoustic piano, although it is desirable to depress the key note completely down to the key bed, it is not mandatory to do so.  I suspect that this difference in essentially 100% "bottoming out" with electronic keyboards, versus perhaps 80 or 85+% bottoming out (utilizing the hammer's forward momentum to contact the strings) might make the difference between the pianist getting more tired when playing an electronic instrument.   

Of course, analog grand pianos' actions are often require more downforce to overcome friction than those of electronic keyboards -- something like 50+ individual parts of the action for any given key note in a real piano, versus less than, say, a dozen or two parts per note in an electronic action, even those equipped with escapements and backchecks.  (I am more sure of the number of parts for a grand piano's action -- 54 -- versus my almost zero knowledge of an individual electronic keyboard's action.)

Cheers,

Joe

Here is the action of the VPC1.

PunBB bbcode test

sandalholme wrote:

Re digital action design, competent classical musicians are still looking for an acoustic-style digital action at anything like an affordable price.

I'm not sure what you would consider an affordable price, but the Lachnit keyboard achieves this feeling of action, in my opinion. These employ a modified Fatar TP40wood action in combination with light sensors. It does not require bottoming out to the keybed as you play, and it reproduces much of the physical feeling of an acoustic grand action. You can read some design features at this link, but you really need to play one to appreciate it. I was astonished at how much more control it provides over the range of dynamics and timbres available in the Pianoteq models, compared to the many other keyboards I have played.

http://www.flkeys.at/FLKFaqEng.html

Vpс1 this Audi. Lachnit -Porsche)

Last edited by scherbakov.al (29-11-2016 16:15)

TimN wrote:
sandalholme wrote:

Re digital action design, competent classical musicians are still looking for an acoustic-style digital action at anything like an affordable price.

I'm not sure what you would consider an affordable price, but the Lachnit keyboard achieves this feeling of action, in my opinion. These employ a modified Fatar TP40wood action in combination with light sensors. It does not require bottoming out to the keybed as you play, and it reproduces much of the physical feeling of an acoustic grand action. You can read some design features at this link, but you really need to play one to appreciate it. I was astonished at how much more control it provides over the range of dynamics and timbres available in the Pianoteq models, compared to the many other keyboards I have played.

http://www.flkeys.at/FLKFaqEng.html

I really love and want to believe that this keyboard worth 4000 euros compare to VPC for about 1400e. It is just too much. This is individual project so I understand why the price is so high. For that money you can go almost for Kawai CA97. But OK, I love quality in small package so if I ever have that money I will probably go for it

Last edited by slobajudge (29-11-2016 19:39)

scherbakov.al wrote:

Vpс1 this Audi. Lachnit -Porsche)

Thanks for the warning - I've always disliked Porsche. :-)

More seriously I think we're neglecting the personal factor a bit too much.  There's no universally better keyboard for everyone.  There are keyboards most people find very good ( and the VPC1 is surely one of them, I'd have thought ) but that doesn't mean everyone finds them good.

StephenG

rjawad1,

since you have the VPC1, I thought this might be worth asking if you have tried the difference between VP1 and MP11?

The MP11's longer keys should allow for playing into the keys. The pressure required to do so is not exponential. Just feels more real to me and my hands love it after 2yrs (other keys since 80s).

Something to also mention (especially if others also have the problem with hands suffering from the keyboard) is a curve to suit your playing. I really think this one pays to persevere with and it may end up to be the only thing you need to give more attention to with your VPC1 setup?

Hope that can help you get Pianoteq back into use.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

TimN,

Thanks for the info.  It looks interesting but probably too expensive for me.  Woud like to try one.

i'm new to (and enthusiastic about) Pianoteq.  i was wondering, has anyone every tried some kind of DIY midi controller?  something like taking a good piano action and putting it in a homemade case with PNOscan?  or is this a completely insane idea?

I just ordered a Roland FP-90 that has the same key bed and piano voice as their LX-17 model which goes for $6299. I chose this over the VPC-1 because

1. I've heard that the piano feel is superb.
2. I think Roland has better quality control. I hear less online complaints about Roland.
3. The Roland has voices onboard including modeled pianos that compare favorably to Pianoteq.
4. The FP-90 has an onboard mic input + effects processor, facilitating gigging and making demos.

When I get it, I'll give a review. I might find myself using Pianoteq less, but I know that when Pianoteq comes out with a new version, it will cost well under $100 to upgrade. When Roland comes out with an improved piano model, you have to spend $2000 on a new keyboard and sell the old one for much less on Ebay. Additionally, only the pianos are modeled, the other voices are sampled.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Vpc1+PNOscan))

Hi Ryan,

Sorry but also interested to hear about your hand etc problems with the VPC1. My interest is because I am an Alexander Technique teacher and also used to conduct research into human movement control.

One point I'd make is that the problems you describe may not be widespread. Do you know of many others with a similar experience?

I certainly don't think everyone has the same experience. I for example use a VPC1 (with Pianoteq), and sometimes play for extended periods, without problem. There are some things that can make my hands ache a bit but this happens just as much on an acoustic piano. And it goes away more or less as soon as I stop playing.

There are undoubtedly differences between the experiences of playing digital and acoustic pianos, but it seems to me that there are equally big differences between playing different examples of either type, acoustic and digital.

But we're all different and we all play in a different way, right down to the exact sequence and degree of muscle activations we might use just to strike a middle c with our right index finger. Two pianists may superficially seem to be doing something similar when they play the same piece but what's going on 'underneath' is likely to be entirely different.

What I would suggest is that something particular about the digital instrument experience is causing you to react in such a way that you end up hurting yourself. If you're interested it may be possible for you to find out what this reaction consists of and therefore to stop making it, at which point the problem would go away.

Cheers, Ian.

N1X - PT Pro - Linux

After some 20 years on acoustic grands, I switched to an Avantgrand N2 last year. For the last 6 months I've been plagued with tendonitis in my right elbow akin to golfer's elbow.

I'm convinced this has a lot to do with the hard bottoming out of digital keyboards.

Recently, two things seems to be making a difference. One is being more aware of my arm/wrist position and trying to bring into play many of the things taught in the Taubman school. Secondly, although it's early days yet, having bought Pianoteq, I'm finding the touch of the keyboard is slightly different, and I'm aware that I'm not bottoming the keys perhaps as much as before...

I really can't understand why DP manufacturers haven't really addressed this shortcoming. Rather than trying for instance to mimic escapement (not acoustically necessary on a DP unless you want it to feel exactly the same as an acoustic grand), they should be spending money on reducing this keybed hardness.