Topic: Astounding warm & round sounding tuning scale from Bernhard Stopper

Today, just by accident, I ran on a site of a German piano tuner who tells, why he is now using ony the tuning scale from Bernhard Stopper any more when tuning pianos (sorry, only in German):
http://www.klaviertechnikmeister.de/Klavierstimmen.html

My quick and dirty rough translation of one of the main statement there:
"With this technique you can achieve for the first time an astonishing warm and calm sound impression, which seemed to be impossible so far with the equal temperament technique"

Here is some more background on this tuning method (again, only in German):
http://www.klaviertechnikmeister.de/Neues-Element.html

There is very interesting youtube video on this piano tuning method,
(including a really very noble and extremly pleasing sounding example of Sokolov playing Bach):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BrcWplvGJY

The inventor, Bernhard Stopper, is also selling a software for tuning pianos on his homepage:
http://www.piano-stopper.de/html/tunic_onlypure.html

But fortunately, with Pianoteq it is much more easy to tune the piano. Just use an appropriate Scala (scl) file! It is within the scala tuning archive, to be downloaded from here:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/dow...tml#scales

Included in this archive is the file "stopper.scl", which you can directly load into Pianoteq (you don't need to install the scala software).

Try this, especially with the new Grotrian Grand instrument, it does sound even more round and warm and natural with this tuning, IMHO,
it makes the already astounding Grotrian even more pleasant and "human" (at least to my ears).

Re: Astounding warm & round sounding tuning scale from Bernhard Stopper

I tried to load the file, and got the error message "invalid key map size at line 3"??  What did I do wrong? 

Bill

This tuning is pleasing ... thanks for the example! I'm testing out the tuning right now. In the performance, the spirit of Glenn Gould lives on.

billd wrote:

I tried to load the file, and got the error message "invalid key map size at line 3"??  What did I do wrong? 

Bill

Did you drag and drop just the stopper.sci file onto the pianoteq GUI/interface/picture?

Thank you honjr, that worked.

Bill

billd wrote:

Thank you honjr, that worked.

Bill

How do you think it sounds?

Thank you, Arkanda, for mentioning the Bernard Stopper piano tuning system. I had never heard of it, but now wish to seek out more information about it. I loaded it into Pianoteq (in the Tuning section > Scale > "Load tuning from file..." and choosing the stopper.scl file from the unzipped (extracted) Scala scale archive) and it sounds very nice, pleasant even with fairly complex chords.

The new Pianoteq Grotrian Concert Royal grand piano sounds wonderful with the standard equal temperament, but also sounds very nice with the Stopper tuning.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Well honjr I think it does have a very mellow sound.  I'll have to play with it a little longer to see if I think it might be a little to mellow.

Bill

billd wrote:

Well honjr I think it does have a very mellow sound.  I'll have to play with it a little longer to see if I think it might be a little to mellow.

Bill

Thanks Bill

honjr

Here is some more interesting information about the Stopper Temperament (in English):

http://www.piano-stopper.de/dl/PTG2008_...rament.pdf

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thank you, Arkanda, for mentioning the Bernard Stopper piano tuning system. I had never heard of it, but now wish to seek out more information about it. I loaded it into Pianoteq (in the Tuning section > Scale > "Load tuning from file..." and choosing the stopper.scl file from the unzipped (extracted) Scala scale archive) and it sounds very nice, pleasant even with fairly complex chords.

The new Pianoteq Grotrian Concert Royal grand piano sounds wonderful with the standard equal temperament, but also sounds very nice with the Stopper tuning.

Hi Steve

just queried billd for his take on Stopper. Did you find any striking differences between this and ET (NOT the ExtraTerrestrial)?? My hearing is probably shot...

honjr

Arkanda wrote:

Here is some more interesting information about the Stopper Temperament (in English):

http://www.piano-stopper.de/dl/PTG2008_...rament.pdf

Nice writeup, Arkanda -

I too caught interest in the phrase:

"...the recent discovery of the inherent beat symmetries
that only occur when the duodecimes are in tune,
eliminating beats and therefore producing improved clarity
and resonance, as with pure tuned intervals."

I think if audible, this tuning would reduce ear fatigue, especially in the upper register. As billd mentioned earlier, it could also make the sound too sweet for some. Nonetheless, I am going to check for a reduction in beats since I've found certain beats - even some of them coming from playing "consonant" intervals - to be annoying from time to time. Improved clarity and resonance would only be a plus. Very interesting!!

honjr

Arkanda I loaded your scala file by dropping into the interface. Al worked well but after that I went to a rehearsal and my piano was not on 440 Hz. I just went to the zip file you provided and dropped a different scala tuning that didn't had this issue. Did you noticed this at all?
I'm in Pianoteq Stage so I think I can't use the same tuning function that's in the stage version and choose the temperament, so could you point me to a scala file that has the standard well tempered scale tunning?

Thanks,
              Carlos

Last edited by Ciel Rose (07-11-2016 12:24)

Ciel Rose wrote:

Arkanda I loaded your scala file by dropping into the interface. Al worked well but after that I went to a rehearsal and my piano was not on 440 Hz. I just went to the zip file you provided and dropped a different scala tuning that didn't had this issue. Did you noticed this at all?

Just tested it and I have no differences at all, when using the stopper.scl file, my A is still at 440Hz, same as with the standard equal tuning

What pitch are you measuring? (Or hearing ???)

The difference in the Stopper temperament should be at the most close to 1 cent, if ever, compared to the equal temperament

Regards
Mathias

Enjoy Stopper, but find it a bit out of tune (or, it conflicts with my tuning bias) for certain intervals. Try playing e.g. a B major scale descending from uppermost B over a repeated F#2 (convention: the second lowest F# on 88 key piano).

honjr wrote:

Enjoy Stopper, but find it a bit out of tune (or, it conflicts with my tuning bias) for certain intervals. Try playing e.g. a B major scale descending from uppermost B over a repeated F#2 (convention: the second lowest F# on 88 key piano).

Piano technician Wilfried Meister writes on his page

"Die Nichtlinearität des Klangspektrums von Musikinstrumenten (Inharmonizität) erfordert zusätzlich eine Korrektur des theoretischen Faktors.
Die Tunic Stimmsoftware erledigt diese Korrektur automatisch und mit einer vom menschlichen Gehör kaum zu erreichenden Präzision."

In English:

"The non-linearity of the sound spectrum of musical instruments (inharmonicity) additionally requires a correction of the theoretical factor.
The Tunic OnlyPure software performs this correction automatically and with a precision that can hardly be achieved by human hearing."

Since Pianoteq reproduces also the inharmonicity of pianos the same statement will apply to the usage in Pianoteq, too.
And obviously the necessary corrections should be somewhat bit different between various PTQ instruments.

Unfortunately, to buy the Stopper "TUNIC OnlyPure" software for EUR 690,- , intended for professional piano tuners, might be a little overkill for use with Pianoteq.
Until we find another way to measure and determine the necessary adjustments, we are just left to our ears, I'm afraid.

BTW, I wonder, the necessity of (small) corrections might also apply to other tuning systems as well?

PS:
Maybe it helps a bit to increase the string length (since this will reduce inharmonicities)

Arkanda wrote:
honjr wrote:

Piano technician Wilfried Meister writes on his page

"Die Nichtlinearität des Klangspektrums von Musikinstrumenten (Inharmonizität) erfordert zusätzlich eine Korrektur des theoretischen Faktors.
Die Tunic Stimmsoftware erledigt diese Korrektur automatisch und mit einer vom menschlichen Gehör kaum zu erreichenden Präzision."

In English:

"The non-linearity of the sound spectrum of musical instruments (inharmonicity) additionally requires a correction of the theoretical factor.
The Tunic OnlyPure software performs this correction automatically and with a precision that can hardly be achieved by human hearing."

Since Pianoteq reproduces also the inharmonicity of pianos the same statement will apply to the usage in Pianoteq, too.
And obviously the necessary corrections should be somewhat bit different between various PTQ instruments.

Unfortunately, to buy the Stopper "TUNIC OnlyPure" software for EUR 690,- , intended for professional piano tuners, might be a little overkill for use with Pianoteq.
Until we find another way to measure and determine the necessary adjustments, we are just left to our ears, I'm afraid.

BTW, I wonder, the necessity of (small) corrections might also apply to other tuning systems as well?

PS:
Maybe it helps a bit to increase the string length (since this will reduce inharmonicities)

I'm no expert on tuning but certainly tuning errors can become cumulative over larger frequency ranges without a correction scheme. You can rarely exactly solve nonlinear partial differential equations (former physicist here), so most solutions are approximations that hold reasonably well only over a limited frequency range. I can use the Stopper file - it's still pretty darn good!!

I had noticed, intriguingly, that Stopper's impacts on Steinway B and Grotrian do not seem to be the same. If you have not tried it out on Steinway B, it might be worthwhile. I thought its impact on B was actually more pronounced than on Grotrian, but I'd have to go back and check to see if my impressions were roughly accurate.

Thank you honjr for the suggestion to try the Stopper tuning scala file with the Pianoteq Steinway Model B. I like it, and am becoming fond of the Stopper tuning in general, for both the Grotrian and the Model B.

--

honjr wrote:

I'm no expert on tuning but certainly tuning errors can become cumulative over larger frequency ranges without a correction scheme. You can rarely exactly solve nonlinear partial differential equations (former physicist here), so most solutions are approximations that hold reasonably well only over a limited frequency range. I can use the Stopper file - it's still pretty darn good!!

I had noticed, intriguingly, that Stopper's impacts on Steinway B and Grotrian do not seem to be the same. If you have not tried it out on Steinway B, it might be worthwhile. I thought its impact on B was actually more pronounced than on Grotrian, but I'd have to go back and check to see if my impressions were roughly accurate.

Regarding this issue I read today a sentence in the manual, which I have overlooked so far, in chapter 4.2 "temperament" is written:

"A unique feature of Pianoteq is that tuning does not follow a pre-computed frequency table (except for the flat temperament),
but takes into account the inharmonicity of the strings, in the same way a piano tuner does with acoustic pianos.
Hence, the consonance of the notes is improved and the chords have a fuller and richer sound."

I guess this corrections are only possible with the built-in temperaments, it seems unlikely to me that it also works with any other temperament loaded from a Scala file.
If this is the case, it might a feature request? To include this stopper tuning in future PTQ versions and to have to corrections described also with this, IMHO, fabulous tuning alternative.

Mathias

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Thank you honjr for the suggestion to try the Stopper tuning scala file with the Pianoteq Steinway Model B. I like it, and am becoming fond of the Stopper tuning in general, for both the Grotrian and the Model B.

Me too Stephen

Arkanda wrote:
honjr wrote:

Regarding this issue I read today a sentence in the manual, which I have overlooked so far, in chapter 4.2 "temperament" is written:

"A unique feature of Pianoteq is that tuning does not follow a pre-computed frequency table (except for the flat temperament),
but takes into account the inharmonicity of the strings, in the same way a piano tuner does with acoustic pianos.
Hence, the consonance of the notes is improved and the chords have a fuller and richer sound."

I guess this corrections are only possible with the built-in temperaments, it seems unlikely to me that it also works with any other temperament loaded from a Scala file.
If this is the case, it might a feature request? To include this stopper tuning in future PTQ versions and to have to corrections described also with this, IMHO, fabulous tuning alternative.

Mathias

I'd support it as a feature request (as long as there are no legal issues)

Arkanda wrote:

As I mentioned in another discussion thread monhs ago, I'm guessing this passage of the manual refers to the practice common and often customary among piano tuners of so-called "stretch tuning," used to compensate for the slightly sharp harmonic frequencies of the low-bass copper wound strings, as a chromatic scale is played downward toward the lowest bass notes, and the progressively slightly flat decay of the highly tensioned treble strings of a piano as a chromatic scale is played from left to right toward the highest piano notes, in order to make both extremes of the piano range sound more in tune. This is because the harmonic frequencies of the copper-wound bass strings tend to be a little sharp, but sound both louder and clearer to the human ear, while the high-treble strings tend to be pulled a little flat by their high tension as soon as they are struck by the hammer.

I'm betting that Bernard Stopper takes this stretch tuning into account when he tunes a piano, and that it can be accommodated or specified in a Scala tuning file, if the person creating the file chooses to take this criterion into consideration and adjust the frequencies specified for each note of the scale in the Scala file.

Pianoteq has its own stretch tuning feature and slider ("Octave Stretching") when using a standard temperament (such as the A 440 diapason equal temperament), with which the amount of stretch tuning can be altered to suit one's taste, although I'm not sure if this feature is enabled or disabled when microtuning mode is specified in the tuning section of Pianoteq (the button just to the right of the diapason setting) and a scala tuning file is loaded.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (11-11-2016 09:53)
--

honjr wrote:

OK, I just filed a feature request to Modartt.

Maybe someone else likes to express his support here.....
:-)

Arkanda wrote:
Ciel Rose wrote:

Just tested it and I have no differences at all, when using the stopper.scl file, my A is still at 440Hz, same as with the standard equal tuning

What pitch are you measuring? (Or hearing ???)

The difference in the Stopper temperament should be at the most close to 1 cent, if ever, compared to the equal temperament

Regards
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Sorry for a late response, I've been swamped with work.
I imported the scala file straight into Pianoteq Stage and all seemed well. When I got to the rehearsal we measured the D4 note and found it was slighty below the 440hz tuning. I haven't duplicated the process because this version of Pianoteq doesn't show the "tuning" window.
Maybe something went wrong when I imported the file.

Best Regards,
                      Carlos Sério

Arkanda wrote:
honjr wrote:

OK, I just filed a feature request to Modartt.

Maybe someone else likes to express his support here.....

If Moddart thinks it would be worth pursuing, maybe Bernhard Stopper would give a copy of his software to Moddart for their use, for free in exchange for the publicity

Ciel Rose wrote:

I imported the scala file straight into Pianoteq Stage and all seemed well. When I got to the rehearsal we measured the D4 note and found it was slighty below the 440hz tuning. I haven't duplicated the process because this version of Pianoteq doesn't show the "tuning" window.
Maybe something went wrong when I imported the file.

I don't think there can go something wrong, once the scala tuning file is successfully loaded.
When I measure my A4 with the "chromatia tuner" software I get 439 Hz, but for both the Stopper temperament as well as for the standard equal one.
I think, as long as we do not use a real good and professional tuning meter, the results aren't too exact, there's always some margin of error with cheap consumer versions.

honjr wrote:

If Moddart thinks it would be worth pursuing, maybe Bernhard Stopper would give a copy of his software to Moddart for their use, for free in exchange for the publicity

Sound like a failry good deal - hope, both will agree....