Topic: Powered Monitors

Does anyone here have any thoughts regarding powered studio monitors/speakers for getting a good sound out from Pianoteq?

In the new house I'm building, my keyboard will be too far from my computer to use it's amplification system. So I'd like to find a good sounding set of powered monitors to mount near my keyboard.

I'll be running Pianoteq on a Microsoft Surface Pro.

P.S.(I should probably mention that I'm looking to spend $300-$400)

Last edited by Analyst (07-10-2016 23:25)

Re: Powered Monitors

I use a Surface Pro 4 into  a Steinberg UR22 mkII as preamp and MIDI decoder.   The Steinberg feeds two Emotiva Stealth 8 powered monitor speakers,  as well as as two Emotiva AirMotive 4 speakers.

I am very happy.

- David

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4625

Analyst,  check this out above...

Though,  I just saw your budget,  which mine exceeds.   With skipping the Steinberg,  judicious use of ASIO4ALL,  a USB audio or the earphone jack,  and two less expensive speakers,  you could do quite well.

- David

dklein wrote:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4625

Analyst,  check this out above...

Though,  I just saw your budget,  which mine exceeds.   With skipping the Steinberg,  judicious use of ASIO4ALL,  a USB audio or the earphone jack,  and two less expensive speakers,  you could do quite well.

I use a presonus audiobox on my main computer, which I could move over to the surface...

Whatever you decide on I would recommend getting monitors that will take a balanced input lead (assuming your can output a balanced signal from your interface). That way you will not have to worry about length of the wads so much, nor the lines picking up interference

In relation to powered monitors yeah i use them with Pianoteq. I've used them for a while and am changing them (for different powered monitors) again this wknd.  I don't perform on stage/publicly but do have the keyboard around the house and don't want a amp/speaker combo setup if i can avoid it. For me its just simpler and the quality of them I've found is great. Check for hissing though or other back ground noise on less good ones. I've actually go 2 setups with the other one being a traditional upright piano hollowed out of its 100+ yr old insides with 2 powered monitor inside it with a modern keyboard in the old piano.

Anyway I love powered monitors and won't go back to amp setups probably. Im also running pianoteq 5 on a silent fanless Shuttle pc with no probs and great cpu handling, i out the audio to a (cheap) Numark Stereo iO USB Soundcard to up the quality a bit, I avoid using a desk pc or even a laptop by using a VNC app on my phone to edit on  pianoteq's graphic interface  or whater. Most of the time i'm just powering up my little shuttle pc ( no keyboard/montior) and my default piano sound is loaded in a really short boot time. I have  enthusiasm for simplifying most things around me (proably my age) so no amp and  no visible pc are points in my plus column - throw in good portability too and for me my setup is as good as it can be.

I meant to say also the little voume wheel on my outboard soundcard is great too -  otherwise I'd be turning the monitors up and down (not poss in my trad' piano setup) or consulting the pianoteq interface.

cheers. Sean

Last edited by seanjackson (25-10-2016 22:44)