Topic: A couple of new features to slightly enhance PTQ's usability

Just a couple of things I bump into constantly which irritate me a bit. May be I just don't know about some existing feature helping to handle them more conveniently?

1) Each time I want to save my current custom preset I'm asked to type in a full name of it. It offers me a default name based on the name of basic (factory) preset, but usually what I want to use is something like "My current K2 test working preset #3". Usually the preset with this name already exists and that's what I want - to overwrite it. But if I miss a single character in this long string, instead a new one will be created, and I'll need to go to preset manager and remove previous one manually, or after some time it will become too messy and it will be hard to guess which preset is the most recent one. It would be MUCH more convenient if in addition to asking you to type it in it also would provide a dropdown menu with names of all existing presets for this particular model.

2) This small midi-editor window is a really great feature for lazy ones who don't want to handle PTQ as plugin in some DAW. Still, just a couple of things would make it not great, but wonderful:
a) Making it detachable in a manner you can already detach Effects/EQ pane. And making it larger in this detached state. It's very hard to handle deletion/positioning inside of some very long piece of played music inside it..
b) "Remove before" and "Remove after" aren't enough, it absolutely needs some way to remove fragments of music between some two positions. Probably, some ability to select a fragment (in a standard way, by holding left mouse button and dragging mouse pointer over it), right click it and do just a new "Remove" command.

Please share your thoughts on both of these ideas.

Last edited by AlexS (25-09-2016 22:59)

Re: A couple of new features to slightly enhance PTQ's usability

I agree with number one completely – I have made so many different velocity curve presets, with names that differed just by a letter or a capitalization or some other small feature. Also, I have made velocity curve presets that have the same name, but are in different folders. So not only would it be nice to have a drop-down list, but one that includes at least this sub level folder in which the preset names rest in.

Number two would be nice for making demos, sending people small renditions of music, etc.

Of these two items, number one should be easier to do and would fix a lot of frustration.

- David

Re: A couple of new features to slightly enhance PTQ's usability

Yes I'd like to see 2a also. An expanded MIDI view section with a much larger display, and also some traversal buttons (for when you don't have a computer keyboard handy) to fine tune your position would help a lot. 2b would be welcome too.

I'm sure there are loads of use that use Pianoteq standalone and not in a DAW. I use it exclusively in standalone mode and save MIDI stuff all the time.