Topic: Interesting Site for Sample Comparisons

I was quite serious about getting into sample libraries two years ago, and in the process, found this interesting site:

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

The tests of each sample and/or digital piano was created with a short midi file (which can be downloaded from the site) at:

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

At the time, I was really impressed with the sound from some of the better ones; Synthogy Ivory and EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos.

Tonight I visited the Purgatory Creek site again, and downloaded some mp3 files and compared them with the file generated by Pianoteq from the midi file noted above (pianotest.mid).  These are the ones I compared (I used my wave editor to load all seven files at once for easy comparison):

Ivory Bosendorfer
Yamaha Digital Piano Gran Touch
Bardstown Bosendorfer
EastWest QL Steinway
EastWest Bosendorfer
Native Instruments Akoustik Piano - Bechstein
pianotest1 with Pianoteq

Compared to the Pianoteq rendering, some were quite bad, and some like the Akoustik were actually wretched sounding.  The vaunted Ivory Bosendorfer doesn't stack up to Pianoteq.

Earlier today, I went back to some of the library sites and downloaded samples of some classical piano so I could compare them with the same pieces I generated with midi files and Pianoteq.  The selections I used were the Debussey's Arabesque and Claire de Lune, and Beethoven's Pathetique (2nd movement) and the Moonlight.

I was literally stunned at the difference between the sampled renditions and the Pianoteq ones.  The selections created with the libray samples were simply not of the quality of the ones I created with Pianoteq.

One thing the samples are notably poor at is sympathetic resonance.  I have a friend that re-builds and sells grand pianos (he normally has six or eight in at once).  I went there to test the various pianos for sympathetic resonance by holding down a silent note, and striking notes an octave and a fifth below.  I have adjusted the SR value in Pianoteq to +10dB (midi controller 17 = 90), which seems to mimic a typical grand quite well.

Re: Interesting Site for Sample Comparisons

I noticed that usually the persons who most recognize Pianoteq qualities, specially harmonic effects, are the ones used to play in real quality Grand pianos.

For other side, who are used to play with piano librtaries, or bad quality pianos, out tune, are not so positive about pianoteq.

The living feeling of pianoteq makes the difference to the library, depite the timbre yet to be improved. So who give value to the living harmonic feeling will give greater value to pianoteq.

But one thing it's kind funny.
Among thenpeople who complain about sound timbre, tone, they said about:

-Just middle range it's not right
-Just the trebble are not right
-Just the bass are not right

Seens like a conflit of occdent, orient, and middle west...

A piano salesman once said to me when I was trying out small grands to buy, "the more you play that piano, the more it becomes your piano".  And his implication was that when it became "my piano", I would buy it (he was right - I did buy it).

Which is obvious when one thinks about it - by playing one instrument over a period of time, a person adapts to its strengths and weaknesses, and learns to "play around" these strengths and weaknesses.

I think the same thing happens when one only listens to piano played with samples - the sound becomes normal to the ear/mind.

I'm convinced that if anyone does the same small test that I did and compared various samples used on well known songs (classical piano pieces are often posted on the sample websites) with the same songs rendered with Pianoteq, the striking weakness of the best samples will become very obvious.

My statement about one sample sounding "wretched" is not an exaggeration - compared to Pianoteq, it was not "listenable" at all.

I've been wondering how many Pianoteq users have done the test.

At:   http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

Download the midi file, and render it in Pianoteq to a wave file.

Then from the same site, download the mp3 files of the samples you wish to compare Pianoteq to.

The simplest method is to use a wave editor so that several files can be loaded at once to do a side by side comparison.

I'd be very interested to hear your results - if you can find one that is better than Pianoteq, please share your findings.

If anyone doesn't have a wave editor:

http://www.goldwave.com/

No cost to try it out and simple to use.

Hello All

I discovered Pianoteq after much frustration with the QuantumLeap pianos on a system I built recently for my brother.  Whilst I agree with most of the posts I've read on this forum regarding Pianoteq's sound not being quite "there" yet, and others which point out that a single sample keyed on Ivory or QLPianos will obviously sound more like a "real" piano (at least a recorded one) than any simulation, I would like to add my experiences with QLP as another facet for the discussion relating to playability and program quality of Pianoteq.

My background is that I have been a classical pianist for over 25 years, also a classical organist and sample-set producer for the now well-known Hauptwerk pipe organ simulator.  With this background and much experience of working with audio and 64-bit computers, I was simply not expecting the following issues with QLP:

1)  Polyphony.  This is a joke.  A 64-bit system with a very quick quad-core CPU, minimal services and 8GB of RAM, dual WD Velociraptor hard disks yet it cannot be played as a real piano; sustain pedal down, start a glissando and above middle C it is painfully obvious that notes are being cut dead.  Without increaasing latency to ridiculous levels there is no way to have the software load more than a couple of GB of samples.  It seems to be optimized for multi-tracking multiple instruments in a studio environment rather than for ultimate playability.

2)  Yamaha samples unusable due to horrendous hiss and quantization noise

3)  Bechstein samples incredibly uneven between velocity layers such that it feels like playing an ironing board, not a piano.  Impossible to play musically.

4) Traffic rumble on sustained notes.  It does not appear the product was put through much if any quality assurance.

5) Bottom C on the Bosendorfer plays bottom B when sustained samples are triggered.  Again, quality assurance?

When all these issues are brought together and compared with Pianoteq with its tiny footprint, minimal hardware requirements, "real" playability, responsiveness and customizable nature, I have to say that personally, any shortcomings in the fine details of the sound pale into insignificance.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas

Neil

Neil:

Thanks for the insightful comments - you've been listening carefully.

My experience is definitely not at your level (amateur piano player - note I don't call myself a pianist), but I have "played at" the piano starting lessons in 1946 from my music teacher mother - I've heard and played a few pianos!!

I have not played any piano samples, but have listened extensively to sample generated music on the websites.  Whenever possible, I've used the same or similar midi files on the web, and rendered them with both my Roland KR7, and Pianoteq.  Good grief, the overall result (not just the sound from a single note) is generally better from the KR7, and Pianoteq puts the KR7 to shame (although to its credit, the KR7 generates ALL velocity and pedal control values from zero to 127 in its midi files).

To me the most glaring weakness of samples is the lack of any realistic sympathetic resonance, followed closely by the inexplicable sudden change in velocities between consecutive notes (which is likely due to the limited number of velocity layers that is practical due to size).  Incidentally, to my ears (having compared a number of half and baby grands), the default setting of 63 for sympathetic resonance in PT is too low - I usually use 80 to 90 depending on the song.)

While holding down the sustain pedal, strike one of the lowest bass notes very hard, and gently touch any of the other strings - they are vibrating because they're physically connected to all the other strings through the vibrating bridge/soundboard.  The result will vary from piano to piano which is one reason why all pianos don't sound the same.  Samples cannot do this, and is why they sound "dead" - there is no sympathetic resonance, or it's created electronically and isn't realistic.

To reiterate previous comments, when I listened to the renderings on the Purgatory Creek website done with the samples, I laughed out loud at how pathetic they sounded - most of the digital pianos onboard sounds were more realistic.

My prediction is that in time, samples will join 8-track and cassette tapes.

PT is not perfect - the bass notes are usually where we criticize it - a comment from PT to the effect that "bass notes are more difficult to model because of the complex overtones" suggests that they know it and are working on the solution.  With the horsepower of a quad-core and ultra-fast storage, there may be a solution, but for those users that must by necessity use a laptop computer, more bass computations may not be an option.

Hello Glenn

I took the Purgatory smell test last night as you recommended and the result was that I finally bought a license for Pianoteq and then enjoyed my purchase until after 3am!

Actually, the listening test merely confirmed what I already had decided; of the QLP set, the Steinway is the most useful, the default C2 in PQ does not do the software justice at all, Akoustik is terrible and the right/wrong reverb settings can make or break a performance!

The old adage that the most important stop on an organ is the building holds true for other instruments in the digital realm.  It's very easily overdone, but some judicious reverb added to PQ "fills out" the sound very nicely indeed.

I remember someone commenting (maybe not here) that QLP was recorded with vocal mics.  Whilst I can't verify that right now, the Bosendorfer demo sounds like it was recorded in a coffin which may be Proximity Effect from using cardioid-pattern mics.  The romantic in me really doesn't want to believe that this is how a Bosendorfer 290 sounds in reality.

I played about with the Erard model last night and whilst I've only used midi files - to try to achieve some semblance of repeatability - I think I've managed to reproduce the best of "the rest", without the annoyances we've discussed.  Speaking of which, my brother called me last night and was talking about the QLP Bechstein which he describes as "all or nothing" in that on a velocity curve (Fatar Numa) suitable for every other piano including PQ, the Bechstein sound completely feeble until one hammers the hell out of it.  Personally I would say it has very little to recommend it at all.

I've not yet seen anyone comment on the results of using the (rather good) midi files provided on the demo page of NI's Akoustik with PQ.  I have done this and whilst the Rachmaninov piece sounded pretty good initially through Akoustik, after hearing the same through my tweaked Erard, I can't endure the NI version at all.

If anyone's interested I can upload my tweaked Erard.

Best

Neil

Would you please upload your tweaked Erard

Neil:

Recorded in a coffin - I got a laugh out of that - because most samples belong in one (coffin).

Thanks for the tip about the midi files on the Akoustik site.  It's good to have more than one midi version of the same piece.  I often go to the following site which often has several versions of one composition.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

I try to keep in mind that one's preference can be quite subjective, as can one's preference for a particular preset in Pianoteq.  I personally like the C2 Chamber with some of my own tweaks (the most deviant tweak would be increasing the sympathetic resonance to 80 or 90 from 63).

In regard to "most important stop", I suspect that variations in sound systems and rooms, combined with personal taste is why each of us prefer different presets and variations thereof.

Hello again

I've uploaded my tweaked Erard to the user files area (NeilEr7.fxp)  Please note it is optimized for headphone use (fairly bright Sennheisers) and the majority of midi files floating around sound best with the moderately-fast keyboard velocity profile.

Try it with the Debussy Arabesque midi file, or any from the NativeInstruments page.  Constructive criticism welcome.

With reference to the "issue" of laptop users and a hypothetical more complex bass string model I would point out that my main PC is a Pentium M (Pentium III) 1.86GHz single core machine without even hyperthreading and with the current model, the CPU usage has never exceeded 35% so I would have thought that any modern dual-core CPU would be able to cope with a significantly upgraded model. The only question is whether the data exists to improve the model; complex transient sounds are almost impossible to measure accurately and something which cannot be measured cannot be reproduced.

Happy New Year

Neil