Topic: Buzzing sound throught speakers

I could use some help with a little but annoying problem: I connected my Roland F140R via USB to Pianoteq on my computer. I connected my computer via a Behringer UCA222 soundcard to the IN-jack of the Roland. I haven't got the budget for a decent set of monitors right now so this seemed a nice solution for now.
Unfortunately I hear a soft but irritating buzzing sound through my speakers. When I disconnect either the USB of the Behringer--piano connection  the buzzing stops. When I plug in my headset to the soundcard I hear a perfect sound. So it must be the signal from the soundcard to the piano that gets distorted somehow, or my Roland. Connecting a different soundsource to the speakers of the piano gives a good sound as wel, no buzzing.

Any ideas how I can solve this?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jo (28-08-2016 18:59)

Re: Buzzing sound throught speakers

Bad ground on one of the the devices?  Are all three-wire or all two wire to power?

A potential easy fix is to take the iron-core shields that you see on power cords to TVs and computer monitors and put one on each power cord - depending upon the frequency of your buzz, this "RF choke" may diminish it.

fyi:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(electronics)

- David

Thanks David!

Replacing the cable with a chocked one did the trick! Simple and cheap...

Cool.  Thanks for reporting back.

- David

Jo wrote:

Thanks David!

Replacing the cable with a chocked one did the trick! Simple and cheap...

Did you replace the USB cable or the audio cable? Did you put a choke on your power cable?

Are you happy with the Pianoteq sound Going through the speakers on the F-140R?

I plan on using the same set-up.

I replaced the audio cable with a choked one. I don't see the point in choking a USB cable, because it transports a digital signal. And the power cable of the F140R is already choked, if I'm not mistaken.

This eliminated the hum in the speakers almost completely. When you put your head under the piano however, close to the speakers, there's still a very soft hum audible. I assume the amp in the piano doesn't play well with my DAC because the sound in my headset is impeccable. And the volume of the hum doesn't change when I change the volume. It doesn't bother me much because I didn't expect much anyway from the 2 speakers. I was going to replace them with a pair of decent monitors anyway...

So, brooster, it all depends on your expecatations. Value for money, this is a very decent setup, doing what it's supposed to do. I practise this way for now, NP. But the soft soft hum doesn't really fit in... The keyboard action of the F140R is very good. Pianoteq is brilliant. My Behringer UCA 222 is dirt cheap but delivers a perfect quality. And my Audiotechnica headset sounds great. For this setup the 2 little speakers of the F140R do their best but fall a bit short. I'd say OK for piano practise but start saving for a set of monitors.

Hope this helps!
cheers,
Jo