Topic: Korg DS-1H half-damper pedal, free (US only)

Hello all-- I just ordered a Korg DS-1H sustain (damper) pedal that sends a range of electrical data (like a continuous controller such as an expression or volume pedal) rather than merely an on/off switch (it is translated into 0 through 127 MIDI values rather than just 0 and 127). It therefore allows for half-damper effects in Pianoteq.

However, this pedal does not work with my keyboard (a StudioLogic SL88 Grand). So I am offering it free to any Pianoteq Forum member who--

* Lives in the United States (to minimize my shipping cost)
* Uses a Korg brand keyboard that can utilize the Korg DS-1H pedal and register its half-damper capability
* Has been a member of the PT Forum for more than 1 month (to avoid people who register just to get the free pedal)

It is brand new, just received, in perfect shape, free to someone who satisfies the above criteria.

Please send a message to my email address, link listed at left under the profile/avatar section of this discussion post.

Best wishes,
Steve

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (06-05-2016 04:33)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Re: Korg DS-1H half-damper pedal, free (US only)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Hello all-- I just ordered a Korg DS-1H sustain (damper) pedal that sends a range of electrical data (like a continuous controller such as an expression or volume pedal) rather than merely an on/off switch (it is translated into 0 through 127 MIDI values rather than just 0 and 127). It therefore allows for half-damper effects in Pianoteq.

However, this pedal does not work with my keyboard (a StudioLogic SL88 Grand). So I am offering it free to any Pianoteq Forum member who--

* Lives in the United States (to minimize my shipping cost)
* Uses a Korg brand keyboard that can utilize the Korg DS-1H pedal and register its half-damper capability
* Has been a member of the PT Forum for more than 1 month (to avoid people who register just to get the free pedal)

It is brand new, just received, in perfect shape, free to someone who satisfies the above criteria.

Please send a message to my email address, link listed at left under the profile/avatar section of this discussion post.

Best wishes,
Steve

---

You can use your pedal with Audiofront MIDI Expressions interface: http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php. It works seamlessly with Pianoteq.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

You can use your pedal with Audiofront MIDI Expressions interface: http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php. It works seamlessly with Pianoteq.

Thank you. I'll check the Audiofront MIDI Expressions interface.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (08-05-2016 19:43)
--

I use the basic Audiofront MIDI Expression interface and it's quite versatile. I'm surprised though that with all the flexibility the SL88 + Pianoteq offer, they cannot accommodate the Korg pedal. Did you try watching the MIDI window in Pianoteq for MIDI data coming in as you depress the pedal? (Options -> MIDI)

Might be just a matter of assigning the correct Controller to the Sustain Pedal action and maybe manually setting the range. For example, my Yamaha FC3 pedal hooked up to the SL Numa Nero defaults to Controller 7 and the mapping is back to front so I assign that controller to "Sustain Pedal" and set the range to {min,max} = {1.00, 0} instead of the usual {0, 1.00}. But the pedal could also have an unconventional resistance range. In that case check Audiofront website; if no clear info on your pedal, ask them.

Last edited by SteveLy (06-05-2016 19:53)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

I'm surprised though that with all the flexibility the SL88 + Pianoteq offer, they cannot accommodate the Korg pedal. Did you try watching the MIDI window in Pianoteq for MIDI data coming in as you depress the pedal? (Options -> MIDI)

Yes, I did observe the MIDI data incoming to Pianoteq as I pressed the Korg DS-1H half-damper pedal, and it was rather odd. Unlike other continuous pedals, including both expression or volume type pedals and other sustain-type pedals that produce a 1-127 range of MIDI data (when the electrical signal is processed and translated by the keyboard or MIDI device), the Korg I'm guessing must not be a simple potentiometer, but perhaps a more elaborate or different type of electronics inside. The MIDI data was variable, but was very, very slow (it required about 30 seconds or more for the various increasing or decreasing MIDI values to be relayed to Pianoteq from the StudioLogic SL88 Grand MIDI keyboard), and seemed to have a lot of repetition of or rapid alternation between some of the values, as though the MIDI transfer bandwidth were clogged with excessive data.

SteveLy wrote:

Might be just a matter of assigning the correct Controller to the Sustain Pedal action and maybe manually setting the range. For example, my Yamaha FC3 pedal hooked up to the SL Numa Nero defaults to Controller 7 and the mapping is back to front so I assign that controller to "Sustain Pedal" and set the range to {min,max} = {1.00, 0} instead of the usual {0, 1.00}.

Yes. I also have a Yamaha FC3 half-damper (continuous) foot pedal that I configured the same way, setting the range in Pianoteq from 1 (minimum (no) sustain at maximum MIDI value) to 0 (maximum sustain (no damper) at minimum MIDI value) since the pedal normally sends a maximum signal when it is is not depressed, and its minimum signal (0) when it is depressed as far as the pedal travels downward. The Korg pedal by contrast (like some others) issues a 0 when not depressed and 127 when depressed, with a range between.

My Yamaha FC3 pedal worked great, although in reverse (always sustaining the notes UNTIL I depressed the pedal), until I configured Pianoteq by reversing the minimum and maximum terminal numbers as you mentioned, so I decided to open up the FC3 and read about wiring (or rather, rewiring) a potentiometer on the Internet to see if I could figure out how to resolder the 3 wires inside the FC3 to reverse the "polarity," so that the FC3 would send the least electrical signal when at its top and the maximum when depressed.

Believe it or not, despite an overwhelming amount of confusing information on the Internet about rewiring potentiometers for various purposes and to various plugs (in this case, a 1/4 inch TRS tip-ring-sleeve plug), I made a deductive guess (and imagined I might have a 1 in 5 chance of being correct) and desoldered, exchanged the places of, and resoldered the two outside wires of the three terminals of the potentiometer, guessing that the middle terminal was the "wiper" (the variable connection as it moved over the resistive element inside the potentiometer in a clockwise or counterclockwise motion). I made a correct guess, and the FC3 now works fine with the keyboard and Pianoteq, registering 0 when not depressed and 127 when fully depressed, with a range between.

The potentiometer inside the FC3 had 3 wires: black on one side (wired on the other end to the TRS plug sleeve), white on the middle terminal (wired to the TRS ring) and red on the third terminal (wired to the TRS tip). I changed the places of the black and red wires (each outside wire from one outside terminal to the other), resoldered them, and the pedal now works in the same way I _thought_ the Korg pedal would work, but doesn't.

So I'm happy with my rewired Yamaha FC3 continuous-data half-damper sustain pedal, and the free offer of the Korg pedal is now open again under the terms in the first post of this discussion.

Thanks for your comments, Steve.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (06-05-2016 21:09)
--

Sounds like a very unusual pedal indeed. Probably too weird for the Audiofront interface as well.

3/2 = 5

Stephen_Doonan -

I sent you an email via the forum about your pedal.

Thanks,
Tom