Topic: my fisrt contribution

Hello

Here's my fisrt contribution to the pianoteq forum : last spring I did a musical road trip with a friend, we've been across 7 European cities filming me playing an original piece of piano.The camera were fixed to the keyboard to keep the same angle to allow a smooth editing. I changed the live sound with  the pianoteq sound, much better and clean !
This took some time to match all the different parts and get a sonic unity. At the end of the video there's a link to watch the piece played live at  the church.
A three parts painting have been specially made by Ileana Surducan, a Romanian artist. This triptych stands for the «graphic score» and I wanted to experience that way of playing, to see if it makes me more creative.

Hope you'll enjoy it !

Erik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQYM9LPMbf0

Re: my fisrt contribution

Very interesting effect, Erik!  I particularly like the series of fast cuts that start around the 4:10 mark.  Well done.  It is a very imaginative presentation of a personal composition.

I'm interested to know how you maintained the sonic continuity -- is the soundtrack a single MIDI performance compiled from the actual keystrokes shown in being played in each video portion, and then recorded directly from Pianoteq?  Did you use a metronome to keep a similar pace in each performance?

Erik Fremont wrote:

Hello

Here's my fisrt contribution to the pianoteq forum : last spring I did a musical road trip with a friend, we've been across 7 European cities filming me playing an original piece of piano.The camera were fixed to the keyboard to keep the same angle to allow a smooth editing. I changed the live sound with  the pianoteq sound, much better and clean !
This took some time to match all the different parts and get a sonic unity. At the end of the video there's a link to watch the piece played live at  the church.
A three parts painting have been specially made by Ileana Surducan, a Romanian artist. This triptych stands for the «graphic score» and I wanted to experience that way of playing, to see if it makes me more creative.

Hope you'll enjoy it !

Erik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQYM9LPMbf0

Very beautifull ..... many thanks

Hi Dugg, thank you for the comment !

I actually proceed that way : I blend the best and the most accurate piano shot for the whole piece. It was only audio wave from the camera. Then I replayed each part on a pianoteq MIDI track and many times had to adjust the notes frame by frame. Next time I think I will record the MIDI out from my keyboard because it was a painstaking work :s

I didn't use a metronome because the piece require differents tempi and as I know the piece inside out I
could easily keep the right pace. I'm not fond of metronome while playing, I use it when I have to learn a very technical part.

Very nice work  on "Nearly November", it has a Joe Hisaishi vibe : )

@ paolopiano : thanks ! I had a great time visiting Genova, that was the first city where I played.

Last edited by Erik Fremont (09-10-2013 14:40)