Topic: Too son to talk about Pianoteq 6?

If not, what do you want/expect from it.

The last one became my favorite already, since release I've had enough time to compare to VST and always end up using PTQ for differnt reasons.

Re: Too son to talk about Pianoteq 6?

What I expect:
The current pianos will receive a soundboard model upgrade with one new model added, probably a Yamaha CF-series or similar ersatz (YCFX).

What I want (in addition):
Come on, it should be known by now from my posts ; a proper simulation of a long piano, like the Rubenstein R-371, Klavins 370, Steinmayer 440 (Xinghai), or the Alexander Stadium Grand. To be clear, that means a new piano model, and not a simple fxp. I also want the range of said piano to be expanded to 105 notes, though it's not required for the Rubenstein.

I guess, we must wait for 5.5 at first) Presumably it would include engine upgrade and new piano model as it was before!

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Kridlatec wrote:

I guess, we must wait for 5.5 at first) Presumably it would include engine upgrade and new piano model as it was before!

I also thought the same but who knows for sure? I am creating wild speculations in my mind that the new harp instruments will probably yield to a new particular piano model (perhaps a Bosie or a CFX).... A new upright would also also be welcome IMHO (one less Y and more european should do) or a good model for a 2m piano (a Steinway B).  Regarding EPs we need more detailed models (particularly regarding key noises) and a better preamp section.
Am I missing anything? Lol!

Last edited by Chopin87 (10-01-2016 16:13)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Bösendorfer Imperial 290, Shigeru Kawai. That's all I really need.

Hard work and guts!

I'll be happy with any new classical grand piano, which is made as good, as Bluthner, and has different character. Also wait for upgrades of D4, as it is still far from real Steinway)
But the main expectation is refining and evolution of modeling engine (more complex attaca, more natural noises and timbre of fortissimo notes, a little bit smoother and content resonances, more complex air and environment modeling)

Last edited by Kridlatec (10-01-2016 19:07)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

+1

+1, the attack can be improved hopefully...

I'd love to see a proper prepared piano, with some different tweaking options. If not, I'll probably buy Pianoteq PRO and try to make one myself.

Also, I think the upright piano could need a little tweaking. It's very nice, but I think it could be made to sound even better.

Finally, it would be cool if they'd introduce a bowed piano feature, my god! Not unlikely, since there's already a mallet bounce.

Viola Organista.

EvilDragon wrote:

Bösendorfer Imperial 290, Shigeru Kawai. That's all I really need.

Gosh, I've checked the second one on youtube and now I want it to )) That's just THE piano sound I love. That would actually  could become a definitive selling point for me )

Different modeled instruments entirely -- Hammond B3 with a Leslie cabinet, brass/strings/woodwinds...

fubarable wrote:

Different modeled instruments entirely -- Hammond B3 with a Leslie cabinet...

You can get that with the "Vintage Organs" from Native Instruments.

OrganoPleno wrote:
fubarable wrote:

Different modeled instruments entirely -- Hammond B3 with a Leslie cabinet...

You can get that with the "Vintage Organs" from Native Instruments.

Are these modeled? Can the instrument set up be adjusted as flexibly and as powerfully as we can do with Pianoteq? Thanks!

If we need a music the theme would define pianoteq customers, I would choose:

(I can't get no) satisfaction.

The more they get, the more they want.

:-)

I think a Bosendorfer Imperial would be one of the last models they will create, until the sound get just supreme.

fubarable wrote:

Are these modeled? Can the instrument set up be adjusted as flexibly and as powerfully as we can do with Pianoteq? Thanks!

Given that the package is 1.4GB, it will be primarily sampled. However, afaik there is some modelling on top of the samples and you can adjust a lot of things. Sampling can work much better for organ sounds than for piano. That said, it's a shame that a relatively easy-to-reverse-engineer electro-mechanical instrument like a tonewheel organ should be sampled rather than modelled. It's a fairly inexpensive package though.

Last edited by SteveLy (27-03-2016 16:57)
3/2 = 5

Genuine soundware VB3 is a modelled tonewheel organ and quite a good one.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

A Baldwin 1.10 upright will be welcomed...

Imminent or already available ?

Wheat Williams wrote:

no major third-party software company has an interest in selling a virtually-modeled Hammond clone to compete with it. All the currently-developed professional-caliber software instruments that I'm aware of that provide Hammond sounds are all merely sample libraries.

Wrong. VB3 is not a sample library, and it's a commercial venture, too. VB3 version 2 (as used in Crumar Mojo hardware clonewheel) is also going to happen, hopefully some time this year.

Also there is AIR Music Tech DB-33 that is modelled (AFAIK), but it's not as good as VB3.

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-05-2016 16:34)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
Wheat Williams wrote:

no major third-party software company has an interest in selling a virtually-modeled Hammond clone to compete with it. All the currently-developed professional-caliber software instruments that I'm aware of that provide Hammond sounds are all merely sample libraries.

Wrong. VB3 is not a sample library, and it's a commercial venture, too. VB3 version 2 (as used in Crumar Mojo hardware clonewheel) is also going to happen, hopefully some time this year.

Also there is AIR Music Tech DB-33 that is modelled (AFAIK), but it's not as good as VB3.

Wheat SAID it was modeled, not sampled - what are you telling him he is "Wrong" about ?

The "currently developed professional caliber software instruments are merely sample libraries" part is wrong. Some of them are, some of them are not - those that I mentioned are still being developed, and are modelled, and professional too.

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-05-2016 20:04)
Hard work and guts!

I think the user interface could be improved.  For example some of the adjustment windows popping open to full screen. and perhaps the entire interface making better use of screen real estate.  I still would like to have a string section that is comparable to the latest flagship pianos, and which would add sensuous background support to the foreground pianos.

Last edited by GRB (18-05-2016 23:28)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

You can drag the EQ, effects and note edit windows out of Pianoteq's interface (and resize the note edit window, too)...

Hard work and guts!

Regarding the Hammond B3 tonewheel/drawbar organ--

I use the great SetBFree modeled tonewheel organ (which is free software), complete with wonderful Leslie cabinet simulation controlable by foot pedal or switch.

http://setbfree.org/gui_3d

It is a very realistic and beautiful Hammond B3 organ emulation, with two manuals (by default set to MIDI channels 1 and 2) and pedalboard (MIDI channel 3), three sets of drawbars and other controls for vibrato, percussion, etc. The organ is very configurable to respond to various MIDI messages, just as Pianoteq is.

Binary installable files of SetBFree for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are available, linked to from here--

https://github.com/pantherb/setBfree

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (20-05-2016 00:57)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Wheat Williams wrote:

The best computer-based virtual-modeled Hammond B3 organ clone (no samples), hands down, is the one that comes free with every Apple Macintosh, in the GarageBand app. It is also found in Apple MainStage and Apple Logic Pro.

And no sooner did I post that, than Arturia entered the market with a virtual Hammond clone of their own. Today, May 19, 2016.

Wow.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog...v/overview

https://www.arturia.com/images/products/b-3-v/sc02.png

Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

Indeed, but it has nothing on VB3, sound-wise...

Hard work and guts!

Ironically, a real B3 has two sets of drawbars per manual, plus two drawbars for the pedalboard, which is conspicuously absent on the Arturia product.

Cheers,

Joe

We all know that this website is primarily about "pianos".  However, I will throw in a comment about the Hammond B3 and the look/sound-alike versions that are out there that users speak of.  Actually they are all quite good . . . and they should be whether modeled or sampled.  Here is the one thing that nearly all playerz and techyz never get around to. 

1) On an actual B3 with tone-wheels - ever since the late 1930's, each DRAWBAR had its OWN contact wire - that is to say NINE output wires for each of the 2 sets of nine drawbars per manual.  These audio lines were routed through the keyboard switches before going to the preamp.

2) Why is this important? Because an audio closure (switch) in line with a line level signal will inherently impart a click or "pop". (surely you have plugged a guitar into an amp and heard a pop).

3) The interesting thing here is that depending upon the "speed" of the key closure - there will be a slightly different character to the pop.

4) In direct contrast to digitally generated "B3 type" products which have some sampled click,  an actual tonewheel B3 has NINE different clicks if all nine drawbars were to be pulled out and a key depressed.  In fact if one depresses a key slowly with all pulled out, one will hear each drawbar pitch come in at different times!  To make clicks even more random, the NINE contacts under each key will vary slightly from key to key.  Meaning that the tones from key to key will come on in a different order because the contact wires were not that perfect from one key to the next.  AND the clicks will be different too!  This gets more complicated as chords and runs are played.  I hope anyone reading this is beginning to get the idea about the click that is heard in the sound/look alike "B3s".  This pop/click subject is so minimized in typical discussions - yet it is very important.

5) In conclusion, Hammond/Suzuki makes quite a few different products utilizing sampling for the tonewheels and the key clicks.  Out of all of their models there is one AND ONLY ONE that has nine physical contacts / per key / per drawbar set / per manual and that is the one they call the "NEW B3".  PERIOD.  The tonewheel sounds are sampled but the keyboard and contact system is totally a la 1930's.

6)  Now, does anyone question why that NEW B3 model made by Hammond/Suzuki costs so much?!

Lanny

Last edited by LTECpiano (20-05-2016 19:34)

Addendum:

1) On an actual B3 with tone-wheels - ever since the late 1930's, each DRAWBAR had its OWN contact wire - that is to say NINE output wires for each of the 2 sets of nine drawbars per manual.  These audio lines were routed through the keyboard switches before going to the preamp.

There are actually nine wires PER drawbar for each of the 2 sets of nine drawbars per manual!

Lanny

VB3 models those 9 key contacts too - playing with different velocity will produce different sounding clicks/pops as they would close at a different rate depending on velocity. You can even adjust the max time needed for all 9 key contacts to close (from 1 to 39 ms).

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-05-2016 21:26)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

VB3 models those 9 key contacts too - playing with different velocity will produce different sounding clicks/pops as they would close at a different rate depending on velocity. You can even adjust the max time needed for all 9 key contacts to close (from 1 to 39 ms).

Velocity would provide for imparting a differential to the closure clicks for the stacked leaf contacts per key on that type of system.  However, to squeeze down and up slowly and hear the 9 drawbar pitches come in would require a proximity type of sensor such as QRS PnoScan, or Hall effect.

Either of these two would go a long way towards replicating B3 click transients.

Lanny

One of features that I most love about Pianoteq is the ability to record.   For players of jazz solo piano it would be nice if that recording feature could be leveraged to include a pre-recorded user defined baseline with authentic bass sounds to play along with.  Also .... as long as I am dreaming ... how about a set of canned drum beats and maybe some userdefined drum beats.    Now, we have something for jazz players.   Go for it !!!!

ddascher wrote:

One of features that I most love about Pianoteq is the ability to record.   For players of jazz solo piano it would be nice if that recording feature could be leveraged to include a pre-recorded user defined baseline with authentic bass sounds to play along with.  Also .... as long as I am dreaming ... how about a set of canned drum beats and maybe some userdefined drum beats.    Now, we have something for jazz players.   Go for it !!!!

Those are nice as dreams, but they might be better provided by other programs, providing the MIDI or audio files for one to play along with in synch. Although others might have better comments about this subject, there might be a consideration of feature bloat (and therefore complexity, and perhaps more demands upon performance (such as maintaining low latency or number of independent voices of polyphony)). I personally love Pianoteq's current feature set and focus on several closely related goals. I greatly appreciate the MIDI recording facility, the metronome, the Note Edit functionality, the configurable MIDI control, the wonderful instruments, etc.

My primary fear I suppose is feature bloat, especially when those features might increase complexity and computing demands, while not being as often used as most features. It seems that many software packages have traditionally suffered from feature bloat, until people wish for something simpler, more dedicated to a specific purpose or tightly-related group of purposes.

These are merely my own thoughts, for whatever value they may or may not possess.

If I were going to practice a jazz piano solo and improvisation. I might pre-record a MIDI or audio file for bass and percussion (or find such a file online) and then have that file or tracks played back by an audio player application or MIDI sequencer, while I played the MIDI keyboard through Pianoteq or using a hardware tone generator in synch with the prerecorded tracks or file(s). I could then import the piano solo I was satisfied with into an audio recorder application (I use Ardour in Linux), and import the bass and percussion tracks, and then synch them to each other (regarding time).

By the way, there are many audio files available as practice and backing tracks for specialized musicians: for example bass and percussion tracks for pianists or guitar players to practice or play with. bass and piano tracks (audio files) for drum players to practice with, etc; many "minus one" tracks (the "minus one" being the instrument you play or are learning). One such source on the Internet is PlayJazzNow.com--

http://playjazznow.com/

---

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (21-05-2016 02:53)
--

This has been discussed before, but I would really appreciate the ability to tweak parameters and adjust sliders and knobs by using the arrow buttons on my computer keyboard. Also, I would like to be able to enter the exact number of a parameter with the numbers on my computer keyboard. Given the complexity of Pianoteq, I would imagine that this functionality would be a piece of cake for the Modart engineers.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

Also, I would like to be able to enter the exact number of a parameter with the numbers on my computer keyboard. Given the complexity of Pianoteq, I would imagine that this functionality would be a piece of cake for the Modart engineers.

Right click on the slider and you can then enter a value with the keyboard

stamkorg wrote:

Right click on the slider and you can then enter a value with the keyboard

Thank you! I see that this also works for nodules on the equalizer. Super.

Still, it would be helpful to be able to nudge a slider or a nodule on an equalizer with the arrow buttons.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

Still, it would be helpful to be able to nudge a slider or a nodule on an equalizer with the arrow buttons.

You can do this (or rather, I can, using Pianoteq 5.6 in Linux). I click on a slider or node (such as in the velocity curve) and can nudge it horizontally or vertically (depending on slider direction) or in both directions (in the cases of nodes), using the up/down/left/right arrow buttons on my USB-connected keyboard, although in the Equalizer the nudging is limited to one arrow-key movement before the default keyboard shortcuts interpret the arrow keys left/right as moving forward or backward within the loaded MIDI file one step at a time. In the equalizer in the Effects section (the EQU3), the arrow keys do nudge the nodes up/down/right/left after clicking on one of the 3 nodes with the mouse.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (22-05-2016 17:56)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
beakybird wrote:

You can do this (or rather, I can, using Pianoteq 5.6 in Linux). I click on a slider or node (such as in the velocity curve) and can nudge it horizontally or vertically (depending on slider direction) or in both directions (in the cases of nodes), using the up/down/left/right arrow buttons on my USB-connected keyboard, although in the Equalizer the nudging is limited to one arrow-key movement before the default keyboard shortcuts interpret the arrow keys left/right as moving forward or backward within the loaded MIDI file one step at a time. In the equalizer in the Effects section (the EQU3), the arrow keys do nudge the nodes up/down/right/left after clicking on one of the 3 nodes with the mouse.

Wow, I couldn't do some of this stuff before. I see that I can adjust the nodules with the arrow buttons now in Equ3, but not in the main EQ. Larry

ATH-M50x headphones.

That would really be exciting to know what Modart are working on atm and when we'll be able to see it. Do they do some press-releases of upcoming upgrades, like teasers or something? I don't mean right before they deliver it, but some sort of appetizer issued midway.

Last edited by AlexS (11-06-2016 12:19)

AlexS wrote:

That would really be exciting to know what Modart are working on atm and when we'll be able to see it. Do they do some press-releases of upcoming upgrades, like teasers or something? I don't mean right before they deliver it, but some sort of appetizer issued midway.

I would doubt that they would do this. Imagine if they did just this, touting the newest features that will soon be part of the next release -- who would want to purchase the obviously deficient current release? No, I'll bet that they'll simply announce the product if and when it arrives.

fubarable wrote:
AlexS wrote:

I would doubt that they would do this. Imagine if they did just this, touting the newest features that will soon be part of the next release -- who would want to purchase the obviously deficient current release? No, I'll bet that they'll simply announce the product if and when it arrives.

Sorry, can't see your point. First, Pianoteq not that bad atm so that long wait would seem reasonable for a potential buyer. And obviously after the next release there will be a new one, then another one - it's a continuous process. What the point to wait just for the next one? Let's better wait for 10 years, then it will be finally completed ))

Second, Modart offers free upgrades within a year from the moment of purchase anyway, and I believe minor upgrades are always free. And even after that year, upgrade costs not that much - 20 euros.

Last edited by AlexS (11-06-2016 14:32)

AlexS wrote:

Sorry, can't see your point. First, Pianoteq not that bad atm so that long wait would seem reasonable for a potential buyer. And obviously after the next release there will be a new one, then another one - it's a continuous process. What the point to wait just for the next one? Let's better wait for 10 years, then it will be finally completed ))

Second, Modart offers free upgrades within a year from the moment of purchase anyway, and I believe minor upgrades are always free. And even after that year, upgrade costs not that much - 20 euros.

All good points, and I'm certainly no business or marketing expert, but I just know what I've seen. For example Apple is continuously in development of IPhone upgrades, but I don't recall them ever pre-announcing planned enhancements to newer models before release. Instead they hold a grand announcement at release time with the big reveal. It seems similar to cars, and with digital pianos. Just try squeezing information out of the Kawai or Roland reps who frequent the PianoWorld forums for any crumb of info on coming attractions and see what I mean.

beakybird wrote:

Wow, I couldn't do some of this stuff before. I see that I can adjust the nodules with the arrow buttons now in Equ3, but not in the main EQ. Larry

You can do it in the main EQ as well.

Hard work and guts!

I am happy to own NI B4 II since 10 years.
A new fact for version 6 is hyperthread ability.

Last edited by pauleamca (17-06-2016 00:22)

MODARTT,

This is your chance to record an actual 92 key Steinway, sure the brand's Petrof, but the sound's basically the same.

http://i.imgur.com/uW1aETx.jpg

http://www.danielphilippstotz.info/?page_id=2382

pauleamca wrote:

A new fact for version 6 is hyperthread ability.

Pianoteq is already programmed to benefit from multiple cores - be they regular or hyperthreaded.

Hard work and guts!

Sorry to ask, according to chronology,  I am so impatient for version 6. Any news, release date maybe ?

Last edited by slobajudge (27-06-2016 17:31)

Modartt would post something if they had something to share... Don't expect any other members of the forum to know anything regarding version 6 (even if they know something, they're under NDA as beta testers so they can't say anything)...

Hard work and guts!

I'm so happy with Pianoteq 5 that I don't care when version 6 appears. The Modartt developers put so much care into their advances, instruments and updates, that it inspires confidence that Pianoteq will continue to please and will become even better.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (27-06-2016 21:36)
--