Topic: Midi Controllers

Is there any chance we might get midi controllers for the Spectrum Profile and the Dynamics slider?

I have all values for all the others entered in some of my midi files - these really enable tailoring the sound to a particular piece.

EDIT;  to eliminate any confusion, I'm referring to midi controllers embedded in a midi file and can be entered/changed in a midi sequencer program.

Re: Midi Controllers

Hi Glenn,

You can assign any midi controller to the spectrum sliders if you use the midi-learn feature (right clic, or ctrl+left click) on a slider

OK, that could be useful - but after I right click the dynamics slider, and click on the arrow, I get a message "use now the midi controller you intend to assign".  What does that mean?  How do I do this?

There's nothing in the manual on this.

It is waiting for you to move the slider/knob/etc on your midi keyboard that you want to assign to the selected parameter in pianoteq. If for any reason you cannot do that, I would recommend that you use parameters automation in your host instead of going throw midi controllers

julien wrote:

It is waiting for you to move the slider/knob/etc on your midi keyboard that you want to assign to the selected parameter in pianoteq.

If for any reason you cannot do that, I would recommend that you use parameters automation in your host instead of going throw midi controllers

My midi keyboard (digital piano) is not connected to the computer/Pianoteq as it's in another room.

I am using Pianoteq in stand alone version and don't have/use a host.  I have midi files that were recorded on the piano several years ago, and I am rendering them to wave on the computer with Pianoteq.

Most of the control over the sound (except Velocity and Equalizer) can be varied by inserting a midi command into the midi file with a sequencer.  Is it possible for you to add Dynamics control in the programming?

Hi Glenn,

As Julien was suggesting - since you are using a sequencer, and any modern sequencer hosts vst instruments, you can use the sequencer's ability to control vsti attributes (like pianoteq's harmonic spectrum) directly, without going through midi controllers. Then from the sequencer render an mp3 ...
Your sequencer's project file is the "source file"... quite frankly, in these days of vst hosting, and music notation, midi files are quite limited in what they can express...

As I see it Pianoteq standalone is for live playing - if you want to render mp3's, use a sequencer hosting Pianoteq. That would be the right tool for the job.

All the best,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

etalmor wrote:

Hi Glenn,

As Julien was suggesting - since you are using a sequencer, and any modern sequencer hosts vst instruments, you can use the sequencer's ability to control vsti attributes (like pianoteq's harmonic spectrum) directly, without going through midi controllers. Then from the sequencer render an mp3 ...
Your sequencer's project file is the "source file"... quite frankly, in these days of vst hosting, and music notation, midi files are quite limited in what they can express...

As I see it Pianoteq standalone is for live playing - if you want to render mp3's, use a sequencer hosting Pianoteq. That would be the right tool for the job.

All the best,
Eran

In the near future, I will use Pianoteq (hopefully for live playing), but for now and the future, I need to be able to render existing recorded midi files to wave.  My only other source of sound is an older Roland digital piano that doesn't come close to the sound produced by Pianoteq - if it did, I wouldn't be using Pianoteq.

One can enter midi controllers values in the midi sequencer to control Tuning, Voicing, Design, volume, and stereo width in Pianoteq, but when it comes to Dynamics, there is no midi controller for it.  There are 19 variables that can be controlled with midi controllers (including reverb ON/OFF) - but Dynamics isn't one of them.

When I hold the mouse over the Volume slider, the popup box reads:
Output level in decibels.  Value:  +5.5 dB (midi #07):  107).

I guess my question is "if all the other variables can be controlled with a midi controller number, why can't Dynamics?"

Glenn NK wrote:

I guess my question is "if all the other variables can be controlled with a midi controller number, why can't Dynamics?"

Try right clicking on the dynamics slider, then click the down arrow in the bottom right corner of the window that pops up to assign a control.