Topic: What's the status of Pianoteq's next upgrade?

This question is for Pianoteq:  What are plans for the next upgrade?  I am really looking forward to it, because not only has it been awhile (in my humble opinion), but it's also a very important event.  Why, because everyone who has used the latest Pianoteq product agrees it is very playable, and many feel it sounds wonderful, but..   But it could use a little more timbre, or sound quality. 

Now many won't agree, but the majority - again in my opinion, feel Pianoteq needs a little more realism in sound quality.  Wonderful product, the best virtual piano out there for playability and realism of the pedals, but still lacking.

I for one, am very anxious to see it come out.    So what about it Fogwall, are we almost there?  How close is Modartt to issueing the product that will stand the virtual piano industry on it's head?

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Re: What's the status of Pianoteq's next upgrade?

Let's give more time to Philippe. I'm sure he is working on it and will came with a fine upgrade for us.

I agree that the sound quality, the timbre itself, needs improvments. I personally prefer the higher naturalness of Erard piano add-on, and just use this piano while playing pianoteq.

For who checked out Pianoteq Site News, there are those new videos of Pianoteq, performed by Hugh Sung, and one even compares Pianoteq with a acoustic piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-k0_C_7Y8
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0O1pC6zDA  (Pianoteq x Acoustic Grand)

The reverberation distortion it's the major problem to judge the sound, and also youtube sound quality limitations.

dreamsmith wrote:

I for one, am very anxious to see it come out.    So what about it Fogwall, are we almost there?  How close is Modartt to issueing the product that will stand the virtual piano industry on it's head?

Hi Dreamsmith,
I understand your anxiety. Let me just say that we are still working very hard on the forthcoming version. Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter which is were we announce our product news.

Thank you for your reply, Nicolas.  But while I didn't expect an exact answer, I was hoping there might be an 'approximate' answer.  For example, 'within one year'; or  'at least 4 years more', or, 'any day now'.   To not give any answer is, I think, a little unreasonable.  Can't you at least give an approximation to, say, within 6 months?  I guess I would think if an answer that close is not available, then maybe it may not happen at all? I would assume this is being worked on?  And if that's the case, will it happen within my lifetime?

Nobody is trying to pin anyone down here, just trying to get a very rough approximation.  Is there one available?

Hi Dreamsmith,
We wish we could give you a good estimation but unfortunately that is difficult as the new version is not fully developed and tested. These things take time but let us just say that 6 months or sooner is not unrealistic. If you have any other questions, feel free contacting us directly.

Thank you sir, you have answered my question! 

I disagree with this thread. Pianoteq, as it stands at 2.3, sounds absolutely beautiful and is certainly NOT lacking in timbre to my ears. It sounds organic and alive as it responds to playing. I've read on other forums people saying Truepianos sounds better and more real and stuff. Most people don't know what they're talking about and have never actually played real grands - they think real pianos sound like the hyped workstation piano sound. Pianoteq is incredible. To anyone complaining about the overall tone of Pianoteq - use an EQ to shape it, if you want it brighter or boomier, and then get on with making beautiful music with the best piano instrument ever created!

You're right: most people don't know what they're talking about on this subject.  Now in my own defense, I was classically trained for 10 years, and have played professionally and otherwise for the last 50 years or so.  And I've played some wonderful pianos, including Fazolis and Steinways.  And I own a Yamaha C2 grand. 

While I respect everyone's opinion, yours seems a little extreme.  Pianoteq is excellent in many ways, but if you check what  highly-qualified professionals are saying, including Keyboard Magazine, and others.  Ivory is the best out there right now. It is not perfect, but the tone is wonderful.  Pianoteq has the potential to be the best, due to it's wonderful response to a pianists' touch.  But 'potential' here is the operative word.

In all seriousness, and no malice intended, let me ask you a very important question:  Have you had a hearing test recently?

just a comment I also in the biz 30 years , one thing has to be remember an acoustic piano is just that, and pianoteq is a simulator as well as ivory,etc.. they all belong to what ever music you feel comfortable in using the software, if you like the results thats all that counts, that being said we all hear sound differently, just as some like the colour blue, others like red. so just enjoy what you create , I own 95% of the piano software I prefer the Garritan Steinway for the Steinway Sound (still as software It can be improved)

this comment is for respect not to be taken as an attack

dreamsmith my hearing is better than ever. I own Ivory and it is inferior. It is a collection of disparately recorded piano notes which features hiss, quantisation noise, volume unevenness and (regardless of their 'acoustic faithfulness') sounds which in comparison to the synthesised sound of Pianoteq do not FEEL like a piano when played together. They do not sound as rich and wonderfully organic as Pianoteq does - simply because they do not have any affect on each other whatsoever. If you're demoing individual notes then yes Ivory will sound 'better' (i.e. more acoustically real) in that what you're hearing is an actual piano recorded, but for actual practical playing I would take Pianoteq everytime - it simply sounds 'together' and is actually an instrument instead of a collection of sampled notes. I would suggest your perception of what you're hearing has been tainted through others' opinions; either that or you simply don't understand the point of Pianoteq as a piano emulator, and the nature of synthesis emulation, and you're trying to listen for something that you simply won't find in a virtual instrument as paradigm shifting as Pianoteq.

P.S. I've seen another forum post of yours - if you want to make the bass notes in Pianoteq 'bigger'; as an alternative to EQ try using something like Waves Renaissance Bass as an insert - it can make the bottom end of the instrument absolutely thunderous.

Since Nicolas has rapped our knuckles - and rightfully so, I want to apologize for going too far with my post.  It was inappropriate.

But I still believe you went too far, as a lot of people do, in asserting your own opinions.  Someone once said, "Opinions are like a......s, everyone has one."  And I would add that many people don't seem to allow others to have their own.  Look, you're entitled to believe what you believe.  And you're also entitled to be wrong sometimes.  You have no right to be condescending to me and my opinions.  If I believe Pianoteq is a good piano that needs to be improved to be as good as some other products on the market, then you don't have the right to just outright say I'm wrong, and the piano I prefer is an INFERIOR PRODUCT! That was silly of you to say, and showed a lack of respect for me and for the product I mentioned.  It also showed a lack of maturity, and has made me suspect you're VERY young, and should learn to just be quiet and listen more.

You're just not that qualified to say that,  In fact, nobody is, come to think of it.  We all have the right to like what we want, without having to put up with juvenile comments from those who don't know better.

But I'm sorry I laughed at you (kinda sorta).    Have a good day.

I never even got to read your deleted post, but if it reads like that last one I doubt I've missed anything crucial. My age has nothing to do with this debate, you're the one trying to brag about having years of piano experience in a vain attempt to add credibility to your opinions. You shouldn't be making assumptions about my maturity or my experience. I absolutely DO have the right to challenge you and your opinion, this is a Pianoteq forum and I disagree very strongly with the misinformation you are purporting to be true - especially given you were badgering the developers for an update for their product when I feel the 'flaws' you identify are without merit. Your only defence was to point to your years of experience, 'professional' magazines' opinions, and then accuse me of having poor hearing; and I'm supposed to be the immature one here?!

Last edited by magicaplug (05-12-2008 15:47)

What might be more productive:

What are the strengths of the presets and the weaknesses?
(The Files area would be a good place to post recordings of specific samples and recordings of PianoTeq to critique.)

Or we could arrange a duel...Piano benches thrown from 20 paces?

I agree. Let's be productive about this and hear from Dreamsmith specific examples of where the sound is and isn't good enough in whichever preset(s) he's using. Intelligent critique of the tone with proper comparisons is needed; not wishy washy 'could use a little more timbre, or sound quality' or using other people's words (anyone can do that: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/a...oteq.htm).

This is not rocket science people!  Details are not necessary.  Music is very objective, and it either sounds good to you or not.  And some sound better than others to individuals listening.  we are all products of our life experiences and training, and yes - our hearing.

I sometimes play my keyboard piano 40+ hours per week; therefore I want to have the most pleasant sound I can to do that.  For several months, my choice was Pianoteq, because it was the best available.  I kept looking for new products though, in hopes I could find something that was better, and sounded like some of the real grands I had played.

For many years, sports teams (like the NY Yankees, or I'm sure certain European soccer teams), will dominate.  They are the best for their time.  Then suddenly one year, a new team arrives, and is the best.  That's what happened, in my humble opinion, to Pianoteq. The Synthogy Ivory arrived, and for $150, I was able to buy not only a better, more realistic sounding virtual piano, but one that was substantially less expensive! 

Pianoteq needs to improve their product, period.  And you know what? Pianoteq realizes that, and are in the process of doing exactly that. In the meantime, they do not need people acting like sheep, and idoolizing Pianoteq's virtues!  What Pianoteq needs (again, in my humble opinion , is objective comments to help them improve - because that's what they (and their customers) want.  We need to open our minds and ears and listen, and not just reac5t to our blind prejudices.  And if we do that, and still think Pianoteq is the best, well then sobeit. 

You can't tell someone what they like.  And everyone has a right to like what he wants.   NOBODY IS RIGHT OR WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO JUDGING SOMETHING LIKE MUSIC OR ART.  EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS THE MASTER OF HIS OWN PREFERENCES, AND HAS NO RIGHT TO DICTATE TO OTHERS WHAT THEY SHOULD LIKE.

I also need to add that my giving specific examples of music to prove my point is meaningless.  Why, because people like some on this forum, would not allow their blind prejudices to really listen to what I would post as examples.  They would simply turn off their objectivity, so why should I bother.

I know what is truth for me, and others know what is truth for them, and these truths are NOT the same.

Hey dreamsmith - when you talk about objectivity, try to keep your own objectivity going too... this might mean not talking about any product being 'better' than the other because someone else could have an other opinion...
And let's just try to leave it at that.. let's wait and see if the guys from Pianoteq can improve their product even further, in the same way sample libraries are improved with each new version..
Let's try to get back to what unites us all - the love of listening to and playing/making music.

cheers guys
Hans

Dreamsmith I'm almost done with this thread. You say: 'Pianoteq needs to improve their product, period.' and then you shout 'NOBODY IS RIGHT OR WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO JUDGING SOMETHING LIKE MUSIC OR ART'! Are you aware how much of a contradiction this is!? Subjectively: if Pianoteq do need to improve their product, I certainly hope they don't do so by listening to your current vague espousings about timbre. What needs to happen here is that you need to improve your attitude and post something worthwhile information wise, or alternatively you need to leave and use Ivory instead. Currently all you've achieved is to fill this thread with misinformation and waffle that says absolutely NOTHING about what is and isn't a good piano product. A pure synthesised emulation of a piano is not going to sound like a recorded acoustic piano, but it will sound like a fantastic piano instrument in its own right - this is the part I think you've failed to understand and why I feel the way you're currently comparing Ivory and Pianoteq is pointless. That to me IS fact; you're comparing apples to oranges! We live in a world where Ivory is always going to sound more like an acoustically recorded real piano...because it is one! I hope you will choose to participate properly in this discussion and discuss with reasoned argument how Pianoteq's makers could improve its sound/tone in a preset for you, instead of making sweeping statements on behalf of all of us, which do nothing but undermine the product's quality! Please either participate properly or not at all. Good day sir.

Last edited by magicaplug (08-12-2008 17:41)

I just hope they use my ad campaign idea for the next version:
http://www.questionthesanity.com/got_pianoteq.jpg

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Does anybody here noticed that the Sebastien Erard have a quite more natural tone, timbre, than the Grand C2 models??

Or am I the only who noticed that???

As always, it's a matter of perception, but I do tend to use it a lot more to try and recreate known piano's. I do like it more than the C2 myself....

cheers
Hans

So do I - as well as the Bechstein model.

OK, I feel the need to chime in.  I actually agree with both sides of this argument... er, I mean DISCUSSION!  One cannot dispute the playability of Pianoteq.  I downloaded the trial and this is the first time that my controller (I use a $1200 Roland FP4 as a controller!) has felt like it was giving me back exactly what I was giving it.  It's revolutionary to say the least.  BUT I can't get a deep, round sound of it at all.  Everything I dial in sounds very thin and metallic... almost like a musicbox?!!!

Having said that, I am an Ivory Steinway user and, perhaps to my detrement, I can't let go of the tone of those samples.  FWIW, I also have the Garritan Steinway... in its binder on my shelf!  That library just doesn't sound right to me.

If only we could dial the tone of the Ivory Steinway into Pianoteq!!  Would anyone happen to have an FXP file that they feel approximates the soft, round, warmness of a Steinway D that they would be willing to share?  I've tried tinkering around for a while but I can't seem to get close.  All of the sounds I come up with sound, as stated earlier, very "ting-y".

Thanks!
Curt

Try reducing the piano size, maybe all the way to the far left, and work from there: the unisons, the Direct sound, and the soundboard are all going to help. Remember that too much soundboard impedance tends to thin out the sound.

Also, the most natural sounding piano preset is the Erard, which, as far as I know, is not included in the demo.

wow, without doubt, this is a very horrible forum to say anything that suggests "Pianoteq isn't perfect".

If Pianoteq was already perfect, this forum would not even exist ans Philipe would not be working in the next version and improving the quality.

Pianoteq it's a revolution, but still have fine upgrades and improvements to reach and please us. We are wainting for it and trying to contribute with sugestions.

I'm sure Philippe will make a nice surprise for us.

kensuguro wrote:

wow, without doubt, this is a very horrible forum to say anything that suggests "Pianoteq isn't perfect".

Beto-Music: That was exactly what I was trying to say in a different way; thank you!  Makes sense to me.  I for one, will be very glad when this product is equivalent in quality (mainly realistic tone) with the best there is. 

And I don't understand why some people seem to take these things personally, and feel as if Pianoteq is being insulted.  Quite the contrary; many of us just want a really good product to be the best out there!

If you think something is perfect then how can it improve?  And would you recognize it if it did?

I would suggest that we should not feel Pianoteq is perfect, and continue to encourage Philippe and his cohorts to keep working.

I just thought the thread was lame and you sounded like a moron begging for a date for a new version of something that to me sounds great enough already. Your critique of the product just read really poorly and it frustrated me, don't take it personally. I don't see why you even need to know when an update is coming, just enjoy what you have and when a new version comes out try that and see what you think then. I don't think your 'encouragement' to the developers will make a - of difference. If you know so much about what makes a good piano plugin sound, you go make one. Be grateful for what you've got. Exactly.

Hi Magicplug,

Perhaps dreamsmith could have been more gentle asking for about for the next version. But the fact is that people are eager for that version - because they are very excited about the potential of this product. Pianoteq is great - I love it. The technology is so exciting, that like many other people of this forum I am starting to believe that the day where I could carry my favorite piano sound in a laptop is not very far.
It is already probably the most playable piano emulation out there. But regardless of where the competition stands - it still doesn't sound like a Stienway D. Let's not go that far - it isn't "even" as rich and powerful as my humble upright yamaha U1. The recordings we hear all includes steinways and bosendorfers. But most of us can't affort $100k+ pianos. Still we dream about having the sound of the recordings we love. So in that sense - i couldn't say pianoteq has no room for improvement.

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

A valuable, if somewhat rickety, thread, peppered (or is that "salted") with a very one-sided tedium for the most part.  Having said that (and wishing to alleviate any sense of that quality which, after all, is "just my opinion") I would like to humbly suggest a couple of clarifying points.

Appraisal of art is by no means an entirely subjective exercise.  To suggest this would be to make a mockery of the concept of professional standards, for one.  It is not the conductor's opinion (I play violin in a professional orchestra) when he urges a slightly higher pitch from the second clarinet (a very frequent occurence) or demands tighter ensemble from the contrabass section.  You get the idea.  Timbral considerations?  Yes, there is a 'bar' above which valid preference can exert itself.  "If it's bleeding, it's not 'well done'."

The subject can be rather quickly resolved along the following lines:

The various sampling pianos to which I have been exposed, though more or less playable one to the other, are unable to provide the integrated 'plasticity' of response that Pianteq so seductively demonstrates (and which future versions can be expected to substantially increase).  In this, the modelled instrument is arguably, and objectively, superior. That, as far as these things can mean anything at all, is a statement not properly characterised as an 'opinion', but as factual observation.

On the other hand, as things stand, if I am generating a track of exposed piano material, I will very likely opt for a sampled instrument solution.  Yes, it is a cruder experience in the performance, but many of the (perceived) essential qualities are present in the finished product as a result.  Some of the sample libraries provide particularly nice mid-bass note recordings from the Steinway D, for instance, an example of something specific that currently eludes the timbral capabilities of this excellent modelling software.

I would add that we in The Queensland Orchestra are thoroughly spoiled through the visionary program of piano maintenance instigated by our Artistic Manager, Richard Wenn, who recently engaged the services of British legend Peter Salisbury to completely rebuild our two Steinway D grands — both of which now conform to the highest of international expectations.  Peter (after installing completely new actions) voiced and regulated the two instruments to fundamentally different end objectives; the one, a deeper keystroke and enormous, fruity 'Brahmsian' tonal character; the other a more delicate, finessed result ideal for Chopin or Mozart.  Both superb instruments — but chalk and cheese.

My friend and student (far more wealthy than his teacher, I might add!), hoping to enhance the attractiveness of his new and expansive residence for chamber music etc., went perhaps slightly overboard in travelling to the States to acquire the Bösendorfer 290 Imperial formerly owned by Victor Borge.  This, naturally, is a totally extraordinary instrument, and together with the previously described Steinways provides a most unusual access to these legendary makes.  We will, I expect, continue to approach the goal of successfully emulating live experiences such as these exquisite instruments make possible, for a good many years to come.

P.S. I would think anyone possessed of the 'valid opinion' that either of these distinguished makes of piano is 'rubbish' could expect to be shouted down as deluded or deranged.  In that 'spirit', let's try for the necessary and reasonable balance between scientifically defensible propositions and personal preference.

Well, it's a recurring theme here I think.  Too many times have critical opinions / remarks have been dismissed and often attacked by other users, that frankly it almost sounds as if there is no way to get the point across. (I'm not just going to be critical, but also point out what we can learn from this, so put your weapons down for a sec)

Pianoteq's audio output is still off.  It's very audible, and I guess it's not really worth the trouble of getting all scientific about it.  Sure, different pianos sound different, in different rooms, mic configurations, etc..  there are variables.  But just like how humans can tell resemblance between family members, there are certain traits you look for, and unfortunately, it hasn't cleared the minimal set.  That is why there are so many supporters who truely believe in the potential of pianoteq, but still will not use it in production.  While pianoteq's sound generation mechanism is by far the most advanced of all the soft pianos of today, its sound output is far from being the most superior.

But, I think pianoteq points out a very important issue that is mostly ignored in sample based pianos, which is playability.  Many times, sample based pianos will result in more realistic results.  If you wanted a realistic middle C at velocity 64, trigger the sample and you will get the actual recorded note.  You can't get more real than that.  But when you play the sample lib as an instrument, the disconnect is so bad, that regardless of how good the end result may sound, the whole system becomes ineffective as an instrument. (or a medium of expression, in a general sense)

This is exactly where pianoteq excels at, and is what I think draws so many of its users.  It certainly draws me. (though I don't use it)  The connect between input from keys, to the output is much greater than sample libs.  And to some, that connection is very well worth the loss of realism in the result.  Now before you all attack me for the use of the word "realism", I want to say that the true innovation of pianoteq is exactly this.  It told the world that there was more to player-instrument connection.  That to some, the experience of playing the instrument is equally (if not even more) important that just getting quality output.  It's a big shift, and an important one.

I have been following pianoteq from day one, playing demo after demo, trying to pinpoint what wasn't working.  I have posted several times here, and many other forums, each time being politely suggested to tweak some more, or perhaps record my best efforts, and point out what isn't right with it.  And I actually have attempted this many times.  And each time, I cannot come up with anything that remotely is worth posting... perhaps only getting 4-5 consecutive notes to sound good.  (and usually it becomes a credibility issue.  I studied audio dsp programming)  Obvious problem being that a set of parameters usually only work for specific zones, and finetuning for a specific zone usually throws off all the other zones.

I really do wish I had the time to write a detailed critique, and a list of things to improve.  (although I'm no specialist in piano physical modeling, but again, I do have heavy technical background in DSP)  But frankly, it takes too much time.  And that's with the mentality of a "betatest"...  I can't imagine using it in production if every tweak took that long.  So that's a big obstacle for me.

Pianoteq is a great product, no doubt about it.  I really wish with all my heart that pianoteq will become the world's best softpiano.  But it's just not there, and each time a critical opinion gets bashed down, it's one step further.  I'm sure the dev team is working away at the next update / version.  It just seems to me that the userbase shooting down criticism is more than called for.

For me, the main thing to buy Pianoteq, was its potential. Being able to modify its sound to my own needs, while having a product that can (and hopefully will) be improved further, was more important to me than the sound itself at that point.
When comparing sounds 'out of the box' I couldn't say Pianoteq was the best, but for instance the full velocity range instead of sample-switching in a couple of steps over the velocity range seemed a better option to me.
On that part I wonder what sample libraries will benefit from keyboards with much more velocity steps....
Anyway.. I think being critical is the best way to get a better product. Why would developers care to improve if they think their product is brilliant and simply the best???

cheers
Hans

creart wrote:

When comparing sounds 'out of the box' I couldn't say Pianoteq was the best, but for instance the full velocity range instead of sample-switching in a couple of steps over the velocity range seemed a better option to me.
On that part I wonder what sample libraries will benefit from keyboards with much more velocity steps....
cheers
Hans

When I compared sounds, I did several things;

1.  Downloaded demos songs produced by the sample manufacturer and posted on his website.  I would assume that they've put forth their best effort to make their product look good.  I concentrated on classical piano because midi files for these are easy to find, and often are available in several versions.

2.  Obtained the same songs (the midi files) and rendered them in Pianoteq to wave files.

3.  Using a wave editor, I loaded a number of songs, and compared them carefully by switching from song to song.

Invariably, the results were the same:

1.  Some notes of the sample created files went "boonk".  That's about as accurate as I can describe it verbally.  Note that the "boonk" sound was in the bass, where samples might theoretically be better because they are actual recordings, and bass notes are much more difficult for render than high notes (this applies to PT).

2.  In general the songs rendered with samples had little or no sustain.  This is interesting because they claim to have used concert grand pianos which have wonderful sustain.

3.  In general the songs rendered with samples displayed little if any Sympathetic Resonance, something all acoustic pianos have, and in the case of a concert grand, the SR is wonderful and rich.

4.  Even the supposedly best sample (Ivory) did not have the clarity that the PT rendered piece did.  By clarity I mean that individual notes can be heard in a chord or complex passage.  The sample based songs are seldom as clear.

Now to address your comment in regard to multiple velocities.  Pianoteq already does this; each note is generated with the velocity associated with the note.

The best samples (as far as I know) have three velocity layers.  As we know, the harmonic output of an acoustic piano varies with velocity (harsher at high velocities, mellower at lower velocities).  In order to accurately duplicate this tonal range, a sample library would need many more levels of velocity sampling.  Keep in mind that midi has 128 levels for every parameter including velocity.

Sample libraries already are huge - I don't know how many velocity levels would suffice, but in theory they should have 128 levels.  Perhaps only 100 would suffice, but if they are gigantic with 3 levels, please don't try to find a computer that could handle 100 levels.  Perhaps Big Blue, the chess champion, could do it, but it's currently beyond my budget capabilities.

I've posted this site before, but it's certainly worth listening to:

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

When I downloaded the midi file for this "musical selection" and rendered it in Pianoteq, mine sounded better than the one for Pianoteq on the site.  I'm wondering if it was done with an older version of Pianoteq.

In summary, when I compared the sounds "out of the box", I literally laughed out loud at some of the sample based sounds, the rest were just bad.

If you have found a better sound, please let me know what created it.

Glenn

well, here we go again.  You just gotta realize pianoteq just doesn't sound that good yet.  People here are so hard headed it's almost funny.  It's like a pianoteq religion.

Which is fine.  I'm a fan boy too.  I like pianoteq, and am a big fan of the technology.  It's just that if the user forum becomes a place where any sort of criticism is shot down..  were else would people bring up these issues?  Regardless of the sort of values enforced here, pianoteq still has a lot of issues, and they should be taken as fact.  You can't deny them forever...  I mean, the developers can if they choose to, but not the users.

But who am I to say right?  It is what it is.  If all you're supposed to do is rave and defend pianoteq here, then I guess there's no way to change that.

I absolutely agree with and second kensuguro and creart in their observations, which I think are essentially the same truths I was attempting to articulate.  Having a (perfectly reasonable) issue with the way in which criticism is voiced, or its coherence, is of course another matter entirely.

I had meant to add that I long for the sort of 'randomness' in key to key characteristics preserved in the fully chromatic-sampled instruments, and which I understand may be made available in a future 'Pro' version of Pianoteq.  That will, I expect, be a minor revelation for this user.

Helpful criticism is good! 

Cheers,

Stephen

Dear Glenn NK,

A valuable and stimulating post.  I have found some of the same disappointments with sustain characteristics and, of course, sympathetic resonances in otherwise fine-sounding samplesets.  Probably my biggest surprise was with NI's Akoustik Piano library.  But it does have a useful upright.

A technical point: for a long time now, the bigger libraries have sported more than 3 velocity layers (switching or, more, usually cross-fading bewtween layers).  6-8 is typical, occasionally you will see 10 or even 12.  There are at least two Sampletekk instruments that have 16 (pedal up AND pedal down!)  Yes, this makes for massive hard drive usage.

I was always infuriated with those crime shows on TV where the parents are defending their child's innocence 'at any cost', not the brightest ultimate choice and of course morally bankrupt when knowledge of wrongdoing is present; the protective instinct needs to be tempered with higher considerations.  So it is here.  The greatest value of the forum (apart from its undeniable value as a social and creative vehicle) is to establish consensus on performance issues.  No one ever sits at an actual piano and says "it's not real enough"; such a thought would be an absurdity.  But there can be any number of other things to react to, both positive and negative.  Some of Pianoteq's behaviour is startlingly — and seductively — 'real', while other areas generate that 'hmm' reaction many have honestly reported (and I am sure are all too evident to the clever modelling artists at the company).  Overall, wonderful progress in a program of engineering I believe we all wholeheartedly support, and do hope will realise a potential which would have it truly conquer these various frontiers of resistance.

stephenphillips wrote:

I had meant to add that I long for the sort of 'randomness' in key to key characteristics preserved in the fully chromatic-sampled instruments, and which I understand may be made available in a future 'Pro' version of Pianoteq.  That will, I expect, be a minor revelation for this user.

Helpful criticism is good! 

Cheers,

Stephen

This is a good point - I rendered a friend's midi file for him because he wasn't at all happy with the Giga results.

His comments:

1.  Silky smooth in the upper registers.

2.  Bass doesn't have enough "edge" to the sound when played hard.   I won't disagree, because it doesn't - it's too smooth.

3.  His most interesting comment is just what you've pointed out (he is an excellent pianist AND a piano technician that rebuilds pianos); he said:  "It's almost too perfect from note to note - real pianos aren't that way - the copper wound strings in particular can have large tonal variations".

I wouldn't disagree with this third comment, but I replied to him, "if you were designing and building a piano and could control absolutely everything, would you purposely put in some notes that were a bit off?"  He laughed and said "no".

I stand corrected on the number of layers in the larger sample libraries.  Ten or twelve layers?  they must weigh a few kilos.

Should I be holding my breath for someone to direct me to a better sound that comes out of my computer?  PM me; I won't be offended.

well if it's just the sound, then there's QL pianos, galaxy II, and garritan steinway..  Of course, not perfect, but at least you're guaranteed a certain amount of realism out of the box.  Frankly, I think the realism is much farther than pianoteq. (except the velocity part of course)

Although pianoteq is a physically modeled piano, it doesn't mean it is 100% physically correct.  A more complete model is much more computationally intensive, and so I'm assuming pianoteq uses a much, much more simplified model.

Hopefully the model will get updated in future versions...  It just doesn't make any sense to me, how you guys can be all praising and defending output from an approximated physical model, saying it's superior compared to an actual recording.  Just by the way pianoteq is built, that's not one of its strengths.  If you just so happened to like the output from a simplified model?  Good for you.

It's probably the biggest reason holding people back from making pianoteq their main piano.  It's the resulting sound.  But again, these things will probably all change with updates so perhaps it's a little pointless to be poking at it.

Hey Glenn
I meant to say (and thought I did) that the Pianoteq's full velocity range is a lot better than the velocity switching of sample libraries.
Don't get me wrong - I love Pianoteq - I do miss some things in the sound at this moment (although I'm still in the process of better understanding it's editing possibilities and fine tuning my sounds) but I expect it to only get better... hoping my computer will keep up with what's needed though.
But using a sample library with up to 20 layers perhaps is going to give your hardware a hard time too....

And apart of this all... what is perfect? If someone would consider some type of Steinway to be perfect, put a couple of them together and see what differences are between them all... it might show that 'perfect' can be pretty relative.

I am not that much of a 'purist' myself - I want a sound that I like and one I can use in my recordings and live play and is flexible... so to me Pianoteq fulfilled that needs.

cheers
Hans

I'm one of the potential buyers who haven't yet bought Pianoteq.

I'd love to have the realistic feel that Pianoteq users describe, with the response/playability much better than what's achieved by the sampled pianos I've played.  But when I listen to the demos, I think they don't sound enough like they're played on a real piano.

I've played some (VI) synthesiser sounds and (physically modelled) electric piano sounds that respond wonderfully to touch - more like I expect from a piano, and not like I've had from sampled pianos - so I can appreciate that Pianoteq could offer a similar playing experience.  But, enjoyable though they are to play, those instruments don't, of course, sound like a piano.  Unfortunately, I don't think Pianoteq really does either, yet.

---

I'm sorry to drop in un-invited only to say something critical.  But IMHO, those posters here who find no fault with Pianoteq's sound aren't listening critically enough.  Perhaps the playing experience is so good that it overwhelms the perception of the sound(?) - ie in the way that you can still enjoy good music when its played on a hi-fi system that doesn't fully do the music justice.

Pianoteq was/is worth the purchase cost to me.  Compact & heavily tweakable with great sympatheticness.... Extremely realistic compared to a professionally miked grand or sample library -no.  But there's caveats with both.  Choose and/or combine your flavors.  Modeling the wood interacting with the floor with the aging and imperfect wires with the train going by.....  a little too tough as a perfect and variable computer model.  That's why I've mentioned many times that I think the answer is more in the use of post processing to create rumble, bark in high velocity low registers, sub harmonic frequencies emanating from the wood... reverberating FM synthesized metallic high tings for the sound you get from a hard release on the highest notes in a reverberant room....  maybe mic modeling technology.  My guess is that the pianoteqnicians are working a bit in this area, because I fear a purists computer model would dim the lights on half the planet and I'd rather the mental resources were put into the search for dark matter.

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

In my academic experience as an analyst and an engineer, my instructors used to say "all models are wrong, but some are useful."  I think that saying applies to Pianoteq as well as any other software modelled instrument.  I agree that any individual note played in Pianoteq does not sound 100% like a real piano and lacks something, which I am not sure how to identify (others in this post seem better able to articulate that better than I can).  However, I love the playability and the resonance capabilities of Pianoteq (which is also been noted in many posts).  The instrument feels alive when I play it.  This is why I use the product - because it acts much like a real piano.  I have not experimented enough with other sampled pianos to know if they do this all that well, but my impression is they have shortcomings in this area.  Other people have other things they look for in a software model and I don't see anything wrong with identifying those things.  It is a first step in making an existing model better.

So, I believe Pianoteq is wrong as a model, but I think it is useful, so I use it a lot . . . I also look forward to any improvements that Modart makes to help make the Pianoteq model less wrong.  I believe they have the potential to make the model better.  I note that no model will ever be perfect.  I think this forum is constructive in that it provides the developers alternate view points and ideas.  That makes it easier, in my opinion, to improve a good product, making it more useful than it is now.  So, I think it should be O.K. to constructively critisize the model.  It is also useful to point out what is right about a model, since the developers will than know what users think is important and not accidently program out what users like.  It is hard to say what is right and wrong about a musical instrument through the imperfect method of language since writing about sound seems kind of like trying to smell something you see or taste something you hear.  However, writing is what we have, so it will have to suffice.

mwinthrop wrote:

In my academic experience as an analyst and an engineer, my instructors used to say "all models are wrong, but some are useful."  I think that saying applies to Pianoteq as well as any other software modelled instrument.  I agree that any individual note played in Pianoteq does not sound 100% like a real piano and lacks something, which I am not sure how to identify (others in this post seem better able to articulate that better than I can).  However, I love the playability and the resonance capabilities of Pianoteq (which is also been noted in many posts).  The instrument feels alive when I play it.  This is why I use the product - because it acts much like a real piano.  I have not experimented enough with other sampled pianos to know if they do this all that well, but my impression is they have shortcomings in this area.  Other people have other things they look for in a software model and I don't see anything wrong with identifying those things.  It is a first step in making an existing model better.

So, I believe Pianoteq is wrong as a model, but I think it is useful, so I use it a lot . . . I also look forward to any improvements that Modart makes to help make the Pianoteq model less wrong.  I believe they have the potential to make the model better.  I note that no model will ever be perfect.  I think this forum is constructive in that it provides the developers alternate view points and ideas.  That makes it easier, in my opinion, to improve a good product, making it more useful than it is now.  So, I think it should be O.K. to constructively critisize the model.  It is also useful to point out what is right about a model, since the developers will than know what users think is important and not accidently program out what users like.  It is hard to say what is right and wrong about a musical instrument through the imperfect method of language since writing about sound seems kind of like trying to smell something you see or taste something you hear.  However, writing is what we have, so it will have to suffice.

As an engineer also, I tend to agree with your comment about models being "wrong", although perhaps "not quite correct" may be closer.  Having said that, a model is never completely accurate (in structural we often model for testing but realize that scaling isn't always perfect).

I happen to firmly believe that the present model is a compromise, and that's why it could be better than it is.

Why compromise, one might ask, and what would the compromise be?

I'll guess - the mathematician/technician/developer knows what's missing - the criticism has been "thinness" or lacking something that doesn't quite emulate a piano.

I find the treble smooth (a friend says it's 'silky smooth'), but still not quite full enough.

Many on the forum have identified the bass (as has my pianist friend) as being weak.  I won't disagree.

So why hasn't MOdartt fixed it?

As an engineer, I long ago realized that every design is a compromise - whether it's conflicting requirements, or the limitation of available resources that can be thrown at a project.

So why can't Pianoteq be better?  Because not all of us have or can afford the computer that could handle the computations that are required to more accurately emulate the bass of a concert grand piano.

It was said for years that a computer would never reach the ability of a grand master at the game of chess, and for the longest time I watched as Spassky and others beat the computer.

Then a few years ago, the computer programmers "got even" - they knew how to program the software, but the computers available couldn't handle the computations - and their break came with "Big Blue" which has (to my knowledge) beaten the world's best chess masters.

Back to P/T; it's been known for quite a few years that when at least twelve or so partials plus the fundamental are included in a generated piano tone, it is difficult to distinguish from an acoustic tone.  Bass tones are the most complex and require more computations than high notes.

I suspect that if Pianteq was programmed for "Big Blue", the sound would shock us.

It might even be possible to have two versions of Pianoteq - one that will run on a laptop and generate "acceptable" sounds, and a more complex one that can generate the sounds far more realistically for rendering a recorded midi file to a wave file.

I wouldn't mind if Pianoteq took longer to render a midi file to a wave, if it produced a much better sound.

Well, maybe Modartt could program Pianoteq to have an 'offline' high quality mode for rendering the final piece while keeping a mode as good as possible (checking the current machine's capabilities) to play live.
When I record tracks in LogicPro I would still like to have enough of the Piano sound to work, interact and record with, before bouncing it to the final piece....
In Logic you can 'freeze' a plugin track to a rendered track to free up sources - that's where the use of the high quality offline mode would come in.

cheers
Hans

Glenn NK wrote:

It might even be possible to have two versions of Pianoteq - one that will run on a laptop and generate "acceptable" sounds, and a more complex one that can generate the sounds far more realistically for rendering a recorded midi file to a wave file.

I wouldn't mind if Pianoteq took longer to render a midi file to a wave, if it produced a much better sound.

I would also prefer that!

I have been waiting since the 80ties to play a piano-type INSTRUMENT on a modern keyboard. And that's what pianoteq is for me an instrument for playing with a piano-type sound.(and for the first reactive computer model really good sounding!) I'm absolutely shure that it will be getting better as long computer power is rising-and also will never reach the "real thing". And it's not important! 24 pictures/sec is not the real thing.96Khz is not the real thing. Maybe we will reach a point where the simulation is making us happy for a while. And when we get used to it, we have learned more about it and we will find another weakness in it. That's why we are here. expand the universe of experience. So this is how we can help the modart team to increase their product. No guarantee that we will ever be satisfied.
Every comment is a point of view. Sometimes it is hard to keep al the emotions out of the discussion.  I would also like to have a model which sounds similar good to a real Bösendorfer/Steinway/... I would dance a real long and happy dance if it would cost only 425€ and maby I would buy 3 licences and 5 computers with all the money I've saved, not buying a Steinway concert grand.
Actually I don't have the money for a Steinway at all. I can't buy 3 Licences and 5 copmuters. I can sit down to my pianoteq and express all my feelings and I know it's all I can ever do with each typ of instrument.
AND i totally agree with all of the comments about the lack of sound when I've played a copmplete mist.(although when I 've played a real Piano)

My conclusion: There is a lack of sound and I love to play that wonderfull instrument.

New version?-download

Previous posters suggest PTQ has problems in the bass register, but I am quite happy with my personal configuration there. The area for improvement I see is in the treble area, where I find the sound "glassy" or "too-digital"; I'd say this is connected with bandwidth/sampling rates. I'd be tempted to say the 44.1Khz is totally inadequate for this purpose, but on the other hand I have heard CD's with lovely treble piano sound and they have no greater bandwidth.

Also of course, we have to consider the full end-to-end audio chain and it's possible that such HF problems are not in PTQ at all but in the follow-on audio devices. In a previous system I had a EMU 0404 PCI card which has amazing specs (192Khz!) but the HF problem was still there.

With my current E8600 dual core CPU is not a problem. So, any tips on optimising treble sounds?

polllymorphic wrote:

Previous posters suggest PTQ has problems in the bass register, but I am quite happy with my personal configuration there. The area for improvement I see is in the treble area, where I find the sound "glassy" or "too-digital"; I'd say this is connected with bandwidth/sampling rates. I'd be tempted to say the 44.1Khz is totally inadequate for this purpose, but on the other hand I have heard CD's with lovely treble piano sound and they have no greater bandwidth.

Also of course, we have to consider the full end-to-end audio chain and it's possible that such HF problems are not in PTQ at all but in the follow-on audio devices. In a previous system I had a EMU 0404 PCI card which has amazing specs (192Khz!) but the HF problem was still there.

With my current E8600 dual core CPU is not a problem. So, any tips on optimising treble sounds?

I've been quite happy with the "stock" C2 Chamber sound, but I do two things; I increase the Piano Size to 4.81 metres (about 15'-9"), and increase Sympathetic Resonance to +5dB (controller 17 = 80), or even a bit higher.  But I like Sympathetic Resonance (and really big pianos!!!).

With my limited exposure to maybe six or eight concert grands, the first thing I've always noticed is that the bass is proportionally stronger in a concert grand than the bass in say a six or seven foot grand.  The high treble strings in a concert grand aren't much longer than those of a six foot, but the bass strings sure are, and I can hear it.  In fact, it takes me quite a while to adapt to the stronger bass of the nine footer.

This is my reasoning for increasing the Piano Size (maybe I'm imagining it's different).

I also turn the Pianoteq reverb off and add it later in processing with my EMU 1820M (if I want it - but often I like the sound without any reverb at all).

This may help demonstrate how much we differ in taste from individual to individual.

There seems to be an unhealthy attitude here that anyone who thinks Pianoteq IS good enough at the moment is wrong and a fanboy. Also, I guess on the other hand there also seems to be the attitude that anyone who thinks Pianoteq ISN'T good enough is wrong! Listen people, it's a tool like anything else. If some people can make it work and are satisified with the results, then that's all that matters. Personally I come down in the 'IS good enough' camp. Yeah it doesn't sound like a Steinway D recorded onto tape but I doubt we'll see a wholly modelled plugin that can do that for a looong time. Just because it doesn't sound like that, doesn't mean it can't be the most convincing, clear, tweakable and playable virtual piano tool available on the market - that's certainly how I see it and I've tried them all!