Topic: damper pedal off "crunch" harmonics

Hello all,

I need help getting a particular sound:

When I play on my ancient upright, I can for example
1) press and hold the damper pedal
2) play a FF bass fifth
3) play a dissonant arpeggio on top of that into the high registers of the piano
4) let it all ring
5) steadily let up on the damper pedal

The result will be this really satisfying "crunch" sound that results, I believe, from partial dampening of the bass strings, which mutes the original notes and creates/emphasizes higher-order harmonics on the bass strings.  It's a really nice sound that I wish I could get via Pianoteq.

I think some of this has to do with damper efficiency, because I can for example play the bass fifth (no damper pedal), release it and harmonics will still ring through on the bass strings.  There is never a "clean" cut off of sound and although some might attribute it to "sloppy acoustic piano design" I also think it adds to the liveness of the instrument.

Is this possible to achieve via the parameters in Pianoteq?

Re: damper pedal off "crunch" harmonics

I suspect you can (though I must say that how a piano responds to lifting the damper pedal varies) but you'll need a continuously variable damper pedal. That is, not just an on-off switch.

hmm, that's a good point.  I do have and use a continuously variable pedal.  however, when i let off the pedal -- no matter how slowly -- the strings just start sounding muted.  i don't hear any extra harmonics on the bass strings.

people who also play guitar might know what i'm talking about -- you can very lightly mute the bass strings near the nut and pick them and you'll get a bunch of harmonics depending on little adjustments to the position of the mute on the string.

Do you have a (software sequencer) means of looking at the actual events in the midi file generated by your keyboard?

I've looked at a few midi files generated by various keyboards - some will generate two values for Pedal Control (zero and 127), some three values (zero, 64 and 127) and others will generate values from zero to 127.  This shoud be midi controller number 64.

If your keyboard doesn't generate the full 128 values (zero to 127), then it won't replicate the "crunch".

Regarding key off velocity - this could be manually checked by entering the events manually with a mouse in any modern sequencer. No need for midi keyboard here.

I entered the notes - with respective release velocities: 1, 64, 127.

It seems the only effect that this has on pianoteq is the volume of the key release. I don't hear any evidence for modeling damping velocity of the strings... they seem to be damped at the same speed regardless of the key release velocity.

Even of Mordatt choose to model this in some future version, I don't see too many (affordable) keyboards out there that can produce such midi events.

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

GlennNK -- are you saying specifically that you are able to get the harmonic "crunch" sound?

I will check again when I have time if my pedal can produce the entire range or if it jumps between a few discrete values.  If Pianoteq models the damper harmonics, then that's the only reason I can think of for their absence.

As for velocity modeling, I can't see how that would effect the sound too much.  In my experience, and to my ear, it's simply the damper pedal position that has the most obvious effect, and the "velocity effect" is just how quickly Pianoteq would cycle through the various damper pedal stages.  On my acoustic, I haven't really heard much qualitative difference between the various stages depending on damper pedal velocity.  But do be honest, I haven't deliberately listened for that, either...

Ethanay:

I haven't attempted to produce the "crunch" you described, but I agree with you that it isn't related to key velocity, but to damper pedal position and rate of application (how fast the pedal is applied or removed).

With my Roland KR7, I can strike a chord (staccato) with the pedal down, completely release the pedal and immediately re-apply it.  The notes will sound - although diminished in volume - much the way an acoustic piano would.  And this effect is more pronounced in the bass notes (as in an acoustic piano).

The aforementioned Rolands are not keyboards, but digital pianos (albeit with many other sounds built in).

When I look at the Event List of one of my recordings, I often see eight or ten consecutive Pedal Controls that vary with the position that my foot was in.  The Roland piano generates all values from zero to 127, so in effect it models the speed and position of the damper pedal (more values are generated if the pedal is applied/removed more slowly).

It seems to me that in order to have damping velocity of the strings, continuously generated pedal contol positions are required.  Values of zero, 64, and 127 might approximate velocity damping, but values of zero and 127 would in effect just be an ON/OFF switch (which wouldn't model the gradual action of a damper pedal any more than an ON/OFF switch will act as a dimmer switch on electric lights).  I believe that Doug pointed this out.

I've looked at literally hundreds of piano midi files from the internet, and don't recall seeing any that had values other than zero, 64 and 127, and most only have values of zero and 127 (even the midi files from the Classical Archives use 0/127).

etalmor wrote:

Regarding key off velocity - this could be manually checked by entering the events manually with a mouse in any modern sequencer. No need for midi keyboard here.

I entered the notes - with respective release velocities: 1, 64, 127.

The effect is subtle, but you should hear a difference between key release 1 and 64.

The problem with key release velocities is that they cannot always be trusted. 64 is the value that should be considered as the "normal" release velocity. That is the typical value returned by disklavier pianos, and many others. Values above 64, which would be "faster that normal" are just ignored by pianoteq -- you can find many midi files where the release velocity is constant and equal to 127. You cannot trust your vst/au host either as some of them just wipe the release velocity and replace it with a constant value.

So basically, release velocities of 0 and 64..127 are treated the same by pianoteq (0 being interpreted as "no release velocity specified")

I'm a bit confused.

In his original post, Ethanay refers to the damper pedal, which when let off slowly (after striking a combination of notes with the dampers up), creates a unique sound on his acoustic piano.  What he describes seems to be only affected by the damper pedal (midi controller number 64, which incidentally can have values from zero to 127).

My confusion arises as to how "key off velocity" will affect notes that have been struck and released, but are sustained by the dampers being up.  Can someone enlighten me?

A related question of mine is "does Pianoteq recognize and respond to all 128 steps of pedal control if the keyboard generates them (midi controller 64)"?

Hi Glenn, sorry if my off-topic post confused you, I was just replying to etalmor about how pianoteq handles Note-off velocity, which is not the initial subject. You are right, when the dampers are up, the note-off release velocity does not affect the sound.

Yes pianoteq does handle all 128 steps of pedal control.

julien wrote:

Hi Glenn, sorry if my off-topic post confused you, I was just replying to etalmor about how pianoteq handles Note-off velocity, which is not the initial subject. You are right, when the dampers are up, the note-off release velocity does not affect the sound.

Yes pianoteq does handle all 128 steps of pedal control.

Julien:

Thanks for the clarification; I'm relieved to hear that PTQ will handle the subtle steps of Pedal Control (damper control).  I have already given up on EMU's Emulator X as it will not - in fact when used to render a midi file, EX makes my piano midi files sound very choppy so it is quite useless (it doesn't know which of the 128 Pedal Control values is ON and which is OFF).

Now some "rambling":  Do the piano sample systems recognize the 128 steps of Pedal Control?  It seems impractical that they could have a sample for every Velocity value, and thus must interpolate from a finite and reasonable number of loudness levels to keep the size down and be workable without a supercomputer.  (I realize that 128 steps IS finite, but to achieve this level of nuance would require far bigger sample libraries than they presently have and they are already huge).  This seems to me why the concept of Pianoteq will win over the sample based systems - even if Pianoteq is tripled in size to achieve more control over the bass notes to produce a "bigger" bass, it will be far more efficient and effective than sample based technology.

Oh!
I am one of those lucky people who have controller keyboards that DO produce reliable(ish) Note Off Velocity values
(a Kurzweil MIDIboard, and a CME UF7)
and so I think it would be nice if Pianoteq could respond properly to them!

It would be good to have a configuration setting in Pianoteq that let you enable full Note Off Velocity response if you have it.

Glenn NK wrote:

Do the piano sample systems recognize the 128 steps of Pedal Control?  It seems impractical that they could have a sample for every Velocity value, and thus must interpolate from a finite and reasonable number of loudness levels to keep the size down and be workable without a supercomputer.  (I realize that 128 steps IS finite, but to achieve this level of nuance would require far bigger sample libraries than they presently have and they are already huge).  This seems to me why the concept of Pianoteq will win over the sample based systems - even if Pianoteq is tripled in size to achieve more control over the bass notes to produce a "bigger" bass, it will be far more efficient and effective than sample based technology.

Sampled instruments utilize, for the most part, a typical subtractive synthesis architecture where an oscillator (or sample) is fed to an amplifier and a filter which are both controlled with envelopes or other waveforms.  The multiple velocity values are usually programmed to effect the amplifier and filter sections and may do so for the entire range of 0 to 127.  There may be 3 or more samples per note and these are cross-faded between each other at various velocity levels.  They are also effected by the amplifier and filter at each velocity level.  So there can be subtle differences at each velocity level even on sampled pianos, but the base oscillator -or sample- only changes a few times per note.  Virtual instruments based upon sample playback are not inherently sterile -in fact they can behave very organically- but they cannot compete with a modeling paradigm that regenerates at each note velocity a unique "modeled oscillator".  Then combine that with true sympathetic resonance based on real-world physics, and you have Pianoteq.  UIAM...

Last edited by Cellomangler (21-10-2008 21:49)
"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Glenn NK:

If you want a stronger bass, using a split in Cantabile or Cantabile Lite is the way to go. Cantabile Lite is free, and working with splits is easy. You can set it up in literally under a minute. Here are two links, the first to the download page for Cantabile Lite, the second to a Cantabile Lite preset with four splits already created. In Cantabile Lite, just click on File\Open to open this Cantabile file. The splits will be recognized automatically. You can then change out the PianoTeq presets in any of the splits and adjust the bass however you want without changing the other notes, and then use Save as. 

Cantabile Lite download:

http://www.toptensoftware.com/cantabile/download.php

Cantabile preset with four splits:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p....cantabile