Topic: Playing live with PTQ

Since I learned about Pianoteq around November 2006 (and had to purchase it soon thereafter though I was a little broke then), it was clear to me that somehow this would be my future *live* instrument. Until then, I had used my old Yamaha P-80 which I did like at first, but then steadily grew unsatisfied with its relative harshness and rigidity. After all, it's samples, and when playing a lot you unconsciously get weary of the static repetitions.

Initially, I was concerned about computer crashes of course; over the first few months I always had a "lifeline" cable plugged into the audio out of the P-80 so I or the mixer could have switched in the (unlikely) event. But I never had any failure whatsoever, so nowadays I trust in my setup almost blindly. Actually, it's been a long time now since I last connected the "life line". I do have cables at hand, but I like to save the extra time it takes to connect anything but the computer.

The computer is a 1st generation MacBook (Intel Duo 2GHz) with 2GB of RAM. It is not quite enough computing power to run PTQ on 44k, but for the biggest part of what I play, 22k is enough. 44k gives you a bit more openness and brillinace, but for live, 22k is useable. I only have to avoid heavy bass tremoloes with sustain pedal. Everything else is fine.

Also, the built-in audio output of the MacBook does its job. I really hate the jerky mini jack, but if you're careful, it somehow works (be sure to carry enough of them cables -- I always have two), and the sound is OK. Latency too. I have mine set to 10ms, and that's quick enough for me.

One great benefit of PTQ is the true mono option. I often play in mono since stereo seldom makes sense live. Prior to PTQ, I was always unhappy with the "boxy" sound (due to phasing / comb filter issues) of the sample mono sum. With PTQ, I have a brilliant, open, stable, even and "liquid" sound, even in mono. Stereo is even nicer of course

I never had any stability / performance issues with PTQ -- NEVER! Kudos to the Modartt team for this great piece of software. It runs absolutely reliably, be it standalone or within the host (Logic 7 in my case). For the standalone version, the built-in EQ is a great option. I wish more plugins (let alone hardware instruments) had this basic, yet invaluable option.

As for EQing, I use a mid cut (around 400 Hz) and a boost at 8k. This makes for a transparent piano sound with a bit of silvery "twang" in louder notes. Sometimes it is necessary to cut mids a bit more, sometimes I can use a fuller sound, depending on the sound system, the venue and the musical situation.

My keyboard is still my tried-and-true Yamaha P-80 (7 ys without any failure now). Good, precise keyboard, a bit on the "stiff" side (as compared e.g. to the sloppy Fatar), but great dynamic control and rock solid build.

At some gigs, I only use one active speaker (investing in quality equipment here definitely pays), and I am self-sufficient, much like a drummer.

There have been situations where there was a real grand at the venue and we compared them when the mixer told me "your electronic piano comes across more upfront, balanced and full. Much easier to handle". Guess which piano was used then

I often have short gigs (say 4 songs) with little setup time when for comfort reasons, I'd rather plug the P-80 and play. I have done that once or twice, and compared to the absolutely musical response and dreamlike dynamics of PTQ, that was like going back to the technological stone age, and it was unbelievably hard to play musically! So I virtually always take the extra time to set up the computer because playing with PTQ is so much more what it's supposed to be.

The bottom line in my experience is that PTQ works very well in live situations. As said earlier, I had some minor technical concerns at first (without any reason as it turned out), and on the other hand it actually took me some time to adapt my playing to the far better response, but now I cannot imagine doing it without it.

One thing I forgot to mention is the MIDI interface. I either use a Midiman (or M-Audio) Midisport 2x2 or a Edirol PCR1-M1 which provides me with some knobs and a connector for an expression pedal (great for layered sounds with strings / pads). These devices just work flawlessly, like the rest of the system. The layering is done in Logic where I made a "masterkeyboard" setup using Logic's versatile enviroment options (controller routing / splits / cable switcher and the like). Today, I could do that a lot simpler with Mainstage of course but couldn't make up my mind yet to buy the upgrade.

The only thing I am still missing a bit in PTQ (and maybe future upgrades will bring some of that), live or studio, is the last bit of "twang" you can get out of a real piano (if it's regulated properly) when really pounding. No matter how hard you adjust PTQ's virtual "hammers" (and there is a limit to that since there is a point when it starts sounding too artificial), it is not quite as tangible or "bodily" as a real piano. That partly has to do with the absolute upper limit in MIDI resolution. 127 is 127, and nothing will ever exceed that number. In a real piano, there is an approximation to such a limit (you know it's enough when the string breaks ), but the actual "max" point is not really so clearly defined.

Whereas I'd say form my perspective the difference is not that big, and there is maybe 10 percent missing. And then looking at what you get (which is huge), I can live with that restriction. Question is, what are the options. If there is a Steinway in good condition, I'd certainly use it, and in most other situations, PTQ simply beats that cheap acoustic Kawai provided at the venue.

Conclusion: The overall rating for PTQ as a live instrument is excellent. I have never enjoyed playing with a digital substitute that much, and I am actually not really missing much using my setup. On the other hand, I am sometimes missing quite something when playing acoustic pianos. Be it dynamics, brilliance, fullness, evenness, sustain, bass fundament or simply proper tuning Let alone sound adjustment...

Many thanks again to all at Modartt for making this great piece of software -- to me it has been the major revelation in years!

Re: Playing live with PTQ

I couldn't say it better! Apart from the fact that I use a PC instead of a Mac, and an external soundcard for the quality of the sound (and the MIDI of course): either a cheapo ESI Quatafire, either a Presonus Firestudio. Both give me great results. I also tried to work with a MLan interface on my 01V96 but those Yamaha drivers sucks, they use nearly all the available CPU power (dual core, 2 GB RAM...) of my notebook, leaving me with unacceptable latency or reduced polyphony. My keyboards on stage: either an old Alesis QS8 (really fine!) either the Alesis Fusion (a little bit "light" but fine too). In the studio, a Kurzweil K2500, the best by far...

In the studio, PTQ runs on a Soundscape (SSL) system: SS32 + Mixpander. Works like charm :-)

Thank you Modartt !

Here's a product that is hopefully coming to the market soon:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?opt...&id=73

It's a dedicated VSTi instrument host rack-unit thing -
no need to take a laptop on stage - you could run pianoteq in it! I'd VERY interesting in this!

Thanks for posting! Seems this might be an alternative to the pricey Receptor. But then, it's only 1 GHz; wonder if that's fast enough for PTQ...? And how will the authorization process work?

quote: And how will the authorization process work?
Good question...