Topic: Request: 432Hz tuning - the magical Concert Pitch

Hi there,

I want to request a 432Hz setting in the Pianoteq software.

The instruments on which Mozart and Verdi composed their master works were tuned to a=432Hz / c = 256Hz.

The original Stradivarius violin was designed to be tuned to 432hz.

I have a perfect pitch and I listened a few months to the Chopin Etudes on a=432Hz. Now I don't want to go back to a=440Hz because on 432Hz the music sounds much more harmonic and less stressful.

So that's why I want to request a 432Hz setting in Pianoteq software.

Here a few links about this exiting subject:

Tuning to A-432, the Mozart A, for Health, Harmony and Happiness
http://grassapelli.com/A-432/index.html

A Revolution in Musical Tuning
Return to Verdi's Scientific Pitch
C=256 Hertz:
http://www.schillerinstitute.org/music/revolution.html

Bobby Lavigne - Project 432
http://www.myspace.com/bobbylavignesproject432

The Universe’s Authentic Vibration – 432hz
http://debrahowell.net/index.php?pr=432hz

Re: Request: 432Hz tuning - the magical Concert Pitch

What temperament would they have been using?

Yes, bring back the "earth tone" to our music!
I use it when ever I can. I read about it in the books of Joachim Ernst Berendt (Das Dritte Ohr/Die Welt ist Klang). Don't know if they are translated into english...

I save all my presets in both versions (440/432).
But I agree that it should be implemented into a fix tuning preset.

Hi azrael4, thank you for the info about Joachim Ernst Berendt.
How did you save your preset to 432?

Also, I just received an email from Pianoteq. The next version will allow you to tune the piano at any diapason, including 432!

Pianoteq can read Scala files and you can use Scala files to set diapson. Here's a good place to start learning about them:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/scl_format.html

and

http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/help.htm#mappings

Thank you Doug!

How did you save your preset to 432?

Hi Henrico!

I don't save a pianoteq-prestet because you know you can't.(only 435) But I work in Steinberg Nuendo and there I've made a song with a PT-preset tuned 435Hz and the rest I tune with a fix Pitchbend Value (I do it by using a VST Chromatic Tuner from WAVES whitch can be set to 432Hz). It's very "unconfortable" so it will be much better with the new option in PT itselfe.
I thank you bringing that up to the PT team!

greetings
heinke

I'm confused, I thought you can change the reference pitch in pianotech? (As I tend to play with other musicians in rock bands I would rarely change from A440 myself!)

Btw, lol at all those links about chakras and the "fudamental frequency of the universe" lol

I agree, let's ditch the Enlightenment and bring back witch burning! I'm sure we all agree witches burn better at 432Hz

Is Pianoteq going to have a chakra-stabilization API?

hahaha
ya - the cosmic balance was better suited with flames burning at 432 Hz...
come on witches.. come out come out wherever you are for our 432Hz barbecue!

But is 432 part of the Fibonacci sequence..?  Surely the golden ratio must considered !

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

feline1 wrote:

Btw, lol at all those links about chakras and the "fudamental frequency of the universe" lol

I agree, let's ditch the Enlightenment and bring back witch burning! I'm sure we all agree witches burn better at 432Hz

Is Pianoteq going to have a chakra-stabilization API?

Maybe you schould leaf the "esotheric" and try to understand the reasons to change ref.Pitch in music. Many composers did it for various purposes. ( also in Rock Musik)
So if you cant handle the "chakra thing" cancel it and try tuning while composing and tell me it doesn't do anything to your musik, or to your singer, or to the mood of the track. (ex.typo negative....) So if you ever meet a guitarist who uses different tunings you will be glad to have a wide range of tuning possibilities. So have fun experimenting with that and forget about some keywords that triggered something in you.

Heinke

I think we're having a bit of fun.... which is fun.  And I, too, appreciate the Joachim-Ernst Berendt info.  Already found some interesting things about him -his father was a protesting Protestant in Nazi Germany who died in a concentration camp.  Joachim died ironically after being hit by a car while walking to a book signing promoting his latest book on outdoor walking.  BTW, as a guitarist I use multiple tunings, but this is different from changing reference pitch.  Most guitarists who use alternate tunings are simply altering the note value of various strings from the "standard" method while still keeping with the A440 standard pitch reference.  That said, I'd probably alter the reference more if it didn't make overdubs and working with other musicians more problematic.  More power to experimentation, however.

lol yeah I am looking at pianoteq now and I see it's choice of 'diapson' is limited to a dozen or so values and 432Hz isn't one of them.

I am bewildered as to why you think singing with reference to a different "concert pitch" standard is going to make any difference to anything though! If I sing a bunch of songs in different pitches, I'll still end up singing all the same absolute frequencies, apart from the very lowest and very hightest notes I try... obviously, yes, I might struggle to reach that top tenor Bb if I tune up at A=440Hz ... but if I tune to A=432Hz, I'll conversely struggle to get my lowest note!

Clearly string tension will make a difference to the way stringed instruments sound,
but I don't think my moogs really mind

Hi Cellomangler!

Of course I wasn't talking about alternate tunings. I talk about string-players who can change tuning to their mood very easily in contrast to a piano player (real piano not PTQ:)). I played with many string-players who did and with musicians from other cultures (gnawa music etc.) it's getting even more complicated. So should we force them to use "our" "right" reference?

What is reference pitch nowadays? Is it 440,443 Hz or 446 Hz? Some classic orchestras are going to get there. So would you like to hear "Jupiter Symphony" in the "original" Pitch?

Does it make any difference? (that's for feline1) Would you say there is a difference between deep red and purple? Although deep red has the same proportion to blue than purple to "whatever" (calculate: f x 2n)   (432 Hz x 2 to the power of 40 = 475 Billionen Hz = yelloworange.).
Tonspektrum = ca. 20 bis 20.000 Hertz
colorspektrum = ca. 380 bis 789  THz

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licht

So if there is a difference between red and purple than there must be one between 432 and 440 and so on. This opens a universe of possibilities. So does the standard  440Hz open or close? On the one hand it makes it easy for us to communicate with many other musicians who use the same tuning (first of all for pianists) but on the other hand it reduces the "color".

After all that theory there is one reference: Your ears! My ears! feline1's ears....let's make some music!

Heinke

feline1 wrote:

but I don't think my moogs really mind

Hi Feline1!

Must be a new "moog" because the old moogs did mind. Sometimes every few minutes "LoL"

Hey Azrael, you're right, but we let ourselves be lead by 'standardized values' all the time... sure a 432 Hz reference might be nice to play sometimes (I guess... never heard it), but it will be hard to get other people to play in that same reference - or the other way around if you just join up for a jam session with a piano set to 432 Hz you'll have problems in a general situation...

Would be the same as deciding that the alfabet as we know it, would be nicer if we had letters inbetween the a and the b ... might be great - who knows how many variations we could come up with... but would it be practical???

The colours are also standardized when we want to print them... like the screen you're watching with a certain amount of colors....
Human kind has 'standardized' stuff throughout the ages... chakra and all may be great... but a whole lot of things are standardized, no one has to agree or has to go along on an individual basis, but as a whole you'd be pretty much alone when you did all that...

anyway ... everyone his own! and just have fun doing it... whatever it is...

I do all my compositions in either well or Werkmeister temperament, though I haven't messed with diapson. Why the 'funny' tunings? Because it sounds better to my ears. There is no downside. Even when I jam, I use well temperament because it *still* sounds better to my ears (I don't think guitars actually play in equal temperament, they fine tune with their fingers).

So why not use 432? No reason at all. Anybody else can tune to it if they want and if it sounds better to you, then the choice is simple.

absolutely true Doug - if you like something.. go for it..
about guitars - my main instrument is guitar and sure - you bend notes to whatever sounds good, but there's only so much that you can do... if you need to bend each note to get it to the same pitch as an other instrument then there is a structural problem and it would be better to retune all strings... that could use 432 as reference - why not ...
who knows - maybe everyone switches... you never know what the universe is in for

oh and just for the record...
my first impulse on this thread was looking in PT and thinking, ok... isn't that even in there??
then reading the subjects from the links and thinking that that 432Hz is getting 'pushed in to the sky' there, but yes I will definitely try it out when it is included in PT, because as any other I'm interested in music in general, so want to know how that sounds...
And I also have synths, including a old analog modular synth with drifting oscillators that would have a range from anywhere between 400 and 500 Hz as reference I think
I now mainly use digital- and soft synths.. made life a lot easier

cheers
Hans

Did you know it is illegal to play an instrument out of pitch in France...?
According to Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)
"The most vocal opponents of the upward tendency in pitch were singers, who complained that it was putting a strain on their voices. Largely due to their protests, the French government passed a law on February 16, 1859 which set the A above middle C at 435 Hz."
So I wonder if they fine tuned ya with le guillotine ?
(Actually... I think I'll make it a law in the jazz club I'm building that ya gotta be tuned to something....
...except on Bent Circuit Night or Cardboard Percussion Night.

And remember "tuning" in "Dark City" ?  (Great flick!)

feline1 wrote:

Indeed. One has to ask what the ancient Greeks and Egyptians used as tuning reference to get their instruments in tune with the universe. Especially when in Bali and Java they strive to make their instruments out of tune with each other - and with the instruments in the adjacent village.

However, irony apart, I recently did some voice work with a lady in your neck of the woods, involving voice production from different parts of the head and torso. That might read oddly - if you don't distinguish the voice from the physiological apparatus that makes sounds. It was a most enlightening (sic) experience, and I'm finding her exercises very useful for freeing up the voice. (Look, Ma, no capo! etc). She explained what she did in terms of "chakras" and my thought was "ho hum - an intellectual safety net for the risk-averse". But, to arrive at my point, it did occur to me that without some such conceptualization, a few people might be inclined to view what she does as witchcraft. Not that she is a witch - these days they seem only too keen to advertise the fact - but it leaves me with the choice between having a bad explanation and no explanation at all for why her exercises work.

Still, it's no big deal to detune my guitars to A=432, to see what happens. (Though 432.1 has a more edifying look about it I feel).

I note that this does not actually make C=256 whichever way (temperamentally) I look at it, but I have to admit I have not accounted for relativistic frame-dragging gravitational effects on frequency propagation.

azrael4 wrote:

Does it make any difference? (that's for feline1) Would you say there is a difference between deep red and purple? Although deep red has the same proportion to blue than purple to "whatever" (calculate: f x 2n)   (432 Hz x 2 to the power of 40 = 475 Billionen Hz = yelloworange.).
Tonspektrum = ca. 20 bis 20.000 Hertz
colorspektrum = ca. 380 bis 789  THz

So if there is a difference between red and purple than there must be one between 432 and 440 and so on. This opens a universe of possibilities.

lol You are just making me laugh here, sorry

"Frequency" is just the rate that something happens at.
Yes, different colours of light correspond to different frequencies of electromagnetic radiation (an oscillating electric/magnetic field).(Well, actually it is more complicated than that - out retinas have chromophore pigments which are most sensitive to "yellow" and "blue", and what our brains perceive as "colour" is due to it assessing the relative yellow/blueness of the retinal stimulus...)
But anyways, sound is not electromagnetic radiation, it is a mechanical vibration transmitted through the air (pressure wave).
You can measure the frequency of anything - the frequency of your heartbeat, the frequency of how often you go to the toilet...
Yes there is a "difference" between red and blue, between the notes A and B, between going to the toilet once a day and going to the toilet twice a day... that doesn't mean going to the toilet is the same as singing at a lower pitch - they are completely different things!

We could take another measurable quantity, length (height).
Mount Everest is a different height to the Matterhorn mountain, yes.  And WA Mozart was a different height to Pytor Tchaikovsky.  Does this mean the Mozart 'Requiem' should be performed by smaller musicians than the 'Pathetique' Symphony? Does it mean Tchaikovsky was really a mountain, because mountains also have height? Is the length of my nose mystically related to the distance between the Great Pyramid of Gizeh and the Sun?  Yes, I think I could be onto something here...

Perhaps Pianoteq could include a setting to take account of the height of the pianist and the length of their fingers.

well... looking at your photo... I think the angle of your nose is the same as the angle of that pyramid.... I haven't figured out what the ratio to 432 is yet..

feline1 wrote:

(Well, actually it is more complicated than that

You are right! I'm off....

of course I'm right - I know all the facts in the world!

feline1 wrote:

of course I'm right - I know all the facts in the world!

only the world knows all the facts in the world

our mission (if we choose to accept it) is to take an eensy weensy tiny subset of those facts and mold them into something we believe to be wisdom

I think

To all the sceptics, if you only want to invest your time in making funny remarks, that's okay, perhaps you can become a stand up comedian ;-)

But for those who enjoy listening to music instead, try this:

Just make two recordings of your own music. One at 432Hz and one at 440Hz. Listen every day to the 432Hz version for one week to get used to the new sound. Now compare it to the 440Hz recording. The result may surprise you.

Let me know!

Henrico: Could you post two mp3's in the Files section here to show us what you mean? I hate to sound lazy, but I may be a little lazy--I'd much rather be convinced by hearing your examples than by creating the new tuning, etc.

Thanks if you can. Looking forward to hearing what you're hearing.

henrico wrote:

Just make two recordings of your own music. One at 432Hz and one at 440Hz. Listen every day to the 432Hz version for one week to get used to the new sound. Now compare it to the 440Hz recording. The result may surprise you.

The 440Hz one will be a bit higher in pitch!

But that will not be a surprise... so I guess it must be something else...

here hang on a minute -
432Hz isn't even as much as a semitone flatter than A440!

feline1 wrote:

here hang on a minute -
432Hz isn't even as much as a semitone flatter than A440!

U HAVE A TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I play with guitarists and analogue synths and rickety old uprights with drooped tuning all the time, we're often not a concert pitch, I've yet to listen back to a rehearsal tape and find it resonating my chakras though.
Now behave or I may vent my spleen meridian in your direction........

henrico wrote:

I want to request a 432Hz setting in the Pianoteq software.

The instruments on which Mozart and Verdi composed their master works were tuned to a=432Hz

Oh God, please help us...no.

It was bad enough touring Europe some years back with all the pianos tuned to 444. In NY, they only tuned them up a step to 441. Nowadays, with most live acoustic piano sounds coming from modules like Pianoteq, do you really want to give piano players the option of using some God-forsaken pitch that nobody can ever be in tune with?

Those guys you mentioned are all dead. Have some mercy for those of us still on this side of the ground  :-)

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman wrote:

do you really want to give piano players the option

I like options! They let me choose-and the "save" 440 Hz is just one mousclick away!

Haha nice! I was just looking for the tibetan ceremonial scala which oh wauw sounds sooo good at 432Hz but all these scales are in Logic Pro which doesn't comunicate them to non-Logic intruments it seems, could this be made with pitch bend? Is pitch bend per note or global?

nutela wrote:

Is pitch bend per note or global?

Pitch bend is global, I believe. But Pianoteq also supports polyphonic aftertouch, which might work for you. (Sounds like a lot of work, though.)

I'm a little confused. I've scanned this post and maybe someone has made this point, forgive me if I've misunderstood this thread , but  I thought you could adjust the pitch anywhere from 220Hz up to 880 Hz via the Tuning Section/ Diapason/ choose 'Other', type the value 432Hz, press enter, then save your new piano. Maybe the ability to save the new pitch as a preset could be a feature request.