Topic: old pianos / new pianos

Hello Modartt Team,
as some users already did ask about new piano add ons, I want to ask for more background information. Somewhere I read about the project of modelling old pianos so you can play them in museums on digital-instruments.
My question is: Are you sponsored by any museum? So you may have to finish these works and That's why you have no time for modern pianos? Or would a physically modelled new piano cost you much more than you would earn with your software? Are there any license problems?

It's quite sad to see the potential of this software for musicians, studio owners, hardware pianos and so on. Maybe you should start a poll for One jazz-piano, One rock-piano and One pop-piano. You would have at least one piano for every style. Sure it won't be perfect for everyone. But you could refer to the point that there was a poll and i'm sure it would catch a lot more users.

Another thought was about financial things. You could limit the pianos of one registered pianoteq-version. With One version at the price of 299$ you can download 6 different add-ons (with 3 modern pianos there would be 12 to chose). If you want more, you have to pay 30-50$ per piano or something like this. I suppose everyone would agree to this possibility. Right Pianoteq Users?

Tell me what you think.
Miki

Re: old pianos / new pianos

miki you have right - we need MORE pianos
real jazz, pop, rock and wulitzer pianos
and maybe Steinway addon
now i'm wait for Pianoteq 3

ps. bechstein addon is very not realistic - honky tonky piano
erard is a lot better

miki wrote:

Another thought was about financial things. You could limit the pianos of one registered pianoteq-version. With One version at the price of 299$ you can download 6 different add-ons (with 3 modern pianos there would be 12 to chose). If you want more, you have to pay 30-50$ per piano or something like this. I suppose everyone would agree to this possibility. Right Pianoteq Users?
Tell me what you think.
Miki

Wrong, in my humble opinion.  I like the way Pianoteq is handled now, with the add-ons being free.  As was discussed in another recent thread, I believe that the differences in these variants that are referred to as "jazz piano", "rock piano" or "pop piano" are simply modified versions of a good acoustic piano, with EQ alterations and other settings that can easily be accomplished with the parameters already in place.  I'd rather the Pianoteqnicians concentrate on making the most realistic acoustic grand piano possible and then let the users tweak it for their own purposes.  I always thought that jazz/rock/pop pianos were simply synth/sampler preset names, not actual physical instruments.  Let's not detract the programmers from working on the holy grail -because as close as they are, they're not there yet and may never be- but it's a worthy endeavor and worth the price of admission to participate.

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

hm interesting point... but... I believe to realize what you mentioned, pianoteq may need money. research costs a lot and I don't know if the programmers of pianoteq are rich or anything
I just thought they could get this money on their own without investors by making the software more useful to different kinds of users, even those who don't like to work with eq's and other controllers. it sounds kind of commercial, but in case they use this money for their research to built the "Perfect Modelled Piano" I can't see any problem.

indiosbravos wrote:

miki you have right - we need MORE pianos
real jazz, pop, rock and wulitzer pianos
and maybe Steinway addon
now i'm wait for Pianoteq 3

You didn't understand me. I don't want Pianoteq to program more and more and more pianos. Only the most important ones. The poll should decide if steinway is one of them

miki wrote:

hm interesting point... but... I believe to realize what you mentioned, pianoteq may need money. research costs a lot and I don't know if the programmers of pianoteq are rich or anything I just thought they could get this money on their own without investors by making the software more useful to different kinds of users, even those who don't like to work with eq's and other controllers. it sounds kind of commercial, but in case they use this money for their research to built the "Perfect Modelled Piano" I can't see any problem.

Ahhh... but imagine if Pianoteq could win over most of the crowd that is currently hooked on sampled pianos -I think any money issues would be solved ! (though not mine)  I don't think we're going to get financial disclosure from these guys, but I have a feeling that time is more an obstacle than money.  IOW, they simply don't have the time to invest in too many alternate models.  Better to have one great, highly tweakable, realistic grand than a bunch of mediocre ones.  I've got mediocrity coming out the ying yang.  And in terms of tweaking, you don't need an external EQ or other controllers.  Try editing the presets as so many have done with all the custom FXP's that have been posted.  You're liable to come up with what you're looking for -though I still haven't been able to mimic the Grand preset on my TX81Z module .

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

I'm working in a couple of pianos but before I download the file I have to be happy with it ,the first is then Steinway D but still waiting for my friend to finish his tour so I can have access to have his piano ,and the next will be the Yamaha

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's nice to have feedback while working hard. We do have collaboration with museums but we have no special constraint to produce copies of historical instruments. So don't worry, we are free to decide on what to work, and this forum is our guideline!

guillaume wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's nice to have feedback while working hard. We do have collaboration with museums but we have no special constraint to produce copies of historical instruments. So don't worry, we are free to decide on what to work, and this forum is our guideline!

i have question for you guillaume....
is any chance of steinway addon for Pianoteq?
a lot people from this forum want this piano model
Steinway D from Hamburg
and maybe old steinway from 1920

indiosbravos wrote:

i have question for you guillaume....
is any chance of steinway addon for Pianoteq?
a lot people from this forum want this piano model
Steinway D from Hamburg
and maybe old steinway from 1920

We have received that questions many times... For now we cannot tell if or when that will be, but as I told previously, this forum is our guideline. Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter which is where we announce forthcoming products and updates.

Remember VHS vs. Betamax, HD DVD vs. Blu-ray, Apple iPod vs. everything else? If Pianoteq invest in creating the worlds best grand pianos Steinway, Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Malmsjö, Yamaha, etc.  It would simply become the world’s greatest piano software. The competition would just die the death. Pianoteq already can compete with the best of them and has many other features that are better.

Retailing at around £200 (sterling) this gives great scope for any buyer to consider his/her options.

I think you should just follow Nike’s motto and ‘Just Do It’ go for the jugular and rule the world.

I think there are steps to transpose before Moddart be able to do a greate Steinway Add-On.
   A Steinway Add-On would became target of all kind of critics for any defect or problem with the tone for any key.

So I think that if they plan to realise a Steinway Add-On, they would do just after futher improvements on Pianoteq algorithms. If that's real among their plans...

Just my humble opinion anyway...

In the mean time I would like to have a soft warm tone, like from a very good 1920grand piano model as a Add-On   :-)