Topic: Modartt please - real JAZZ PIANO ADD-ON

why Modartt team relases only pianos for classic music???
we need a real true jazz piano a Miles Davis and Coltrane favorites
grand m1 jazz is a not good for me
greetings

ps . WE NEED MORE ADDONS

Re: Modartt please - real JAZZ PIANO ADD-ON

Hi,
I use PTQ mainly for jazz myself. I think there has been a major shift towards the classical sound / voicing in jazz pianism the past 3 decades, driven by the likes of Bill Evans and Kieth Jarret. But besides the musical developement, there has also been a technological one. In other words, the jazz labels didn't put all that effort to record Herbie Hancock's Steinway in the 60's, as did the classical label to record Glenn Gould's.
So Herbie's warm mellow sound we hear in Miles'  recordings is a result of old recording technologies. I really love that sound - but it would be misleading to model a piano to sound that way. Herbie's piano never did - only on record. I think it would be more appropriate to have a VST post effect on top of  PTQ to model the microphones / analogue tape.
But this, i believe, is out of the scope of Mordatt's product.

regards,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

etalmor wrote:

So Herbie's warm mellow sound we hear in Miles'  recordings is a result of old recording technologies. I really love that sound - but it would be misleading to model a piano to sound that way. Herbie's piano never did - only on record.

Ditto.  There is also a tendency in the recording studio to eliminate some of the conflict and mud that might be generated by various jazz instrumentation in a complex mix, as in the different instruments stepping on each other.  Sometimes a mix needs less sympathetic resonance and some bass roll-off.  I really like Bob James' piano on the CD "Playin' Hooky", particularly the first cut.  Using MIDI sequencing gives you the opportunity to try out different Pianoteq settings during the mix process so as to keep clarity among all the instruments.  I'm always surprised at the number of folks I encounter who have been using MIDI for years to control instruments but never sequence, as if it is overly complex or inherently robs the performance of a live feel and makes it "computery".  But unless you quantize or overly sanitize your sequence, you'll have just as "human" a performance as direct recorded audio.

Last edited by Cellomangler (02-09-2008 23:20)
"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

The jazz piano sound has everything to do with microphone placement, as far as I have understood. So to get that sound, the best way would be if there was a possibility in Pianoteq to specify microphone placement in the plugin. To get an idea of the different sounds you can achieve by various mic positions, check out DPA's "Miking a grand piano" here:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/page.php?PID=1974
One of these examples is very much the jazz piano sound some are looking for (I think it's the one with one mic at the deep end, and the other somewhere near the bridge).
I just started playing around with the Pianoteq trial version, and will experiment with size, hammer sound, harmonics etc., to see if I can achieve something similar.

indiosbravos wrote:

why Modartt team relases only pianos for classic music???
we need a real true jazz piano a Miles Davis and Coltrane favorites
grand m1 jazz is a not good for me
greetings

ps . WE NEED MORE ADDONS

I have just uploaded an .fxp file of a yamaha p120

see what you think?

I'm with Repeat Chorus on this one.

I think jazz pianists generally record on well conditioned and tuned concert grands; in North America this would most often translate to a Steinway D, in Europe perhaps a German or Austrian concert grand.  (anyone that hasn't played a Bosendorfer should experience this before life's end).

Microphone placement has everything to do with the sound (for example, piano samples always refer to close mike, etc), and of course the reverb can be added in processing.

Take a look at this site for an idea how pianists are miked:

http://mixonline.com/recording/applicat...ing_piano/

I might suggest that the difference in sound might have originated in that classical music is/was performed in large halls with a lot of natural reverb (many having adjustable curtains to tailor the reverb to the genre), whereas jazz was performed in nightclubs with lower ceilings.

To get away from the "classical" sound, I turn the reverb off in PT, and use the reverb choices from my soundcard (which has 40 built-in preset reverbs and can be modified with eight sliders.)