Topic: pnoteq eq

anyone noticed the eq honk around 3.5 on all the pnos . had to use a severe cut with the waves eq and it's still there . it's the only let down .

Re: pnoteq eq

Have you tried to listen it MONO (not narrowest grade of STEREO - both two speakers and headphones, - but one speaker icon)? Is that colouration still remained?

Edited: See below. This odd sound came from having widened the Stereo width a little on the Bechstein preset and having made some slight eq changes. At other settings, the E is fine.)

(I sometimes hear a bit of an oddness on the 2nd E above middle C, and cutting at around 3.5 seems to help, but I'm not sure that's the same thing that you're hearing.)

Do you hear this on some notes more than others?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (12-08-2008 00:50)

I know the name of that “oddness”. It seemed to be an anti-phase coloration, as to my ear. The simplest way to check it up is just to switch Pianoteq from STEREO (both two speakers and headphones icon) to MONO (one speaker icon), comparing results at mono setting of your monitor system. All notes of all ranges became to sound timbraly right (let’s say quite right, or, at least, much better). But you’re losing stereo!

Hm...I just noticed that the sound I was hearing, a slightly out-of-tune, or too loud, partial on the aforementioned E, goes away if, while keeping a stereo sound, I either widen or narrow the Stereo field and keep the EQ relatively flat. Apparently, the fxp I was using (based on the Bechtein preet) was set to 1.4 or so. Setting things to the default of 1.0 eliminated this sound.

Helps to detune the unisons a little, too.

i'll try the mono thing and this is only happening in a small range above middle cabove middle c .

Do try just slightly compressing or expanding the Stereo width (instead of choosing between stereo and mono). Combined with slightly more detuning of the Unisons, you may find the sound that you want.

Keep us posted on what you find. In the Files section, you might post mp3's of the notes you're having trouble with. That way, we could all be sure that we were speaking of the same thing.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Do try just slightly compressing or expanding the Stereo width (instead of choosing between stereo and mono).

No! The stereo model, according to GUILLAUME explanations, “consists of two sounds that are generated separately in the model. When changing the stereo width, each note keeps its own stereo characteristics (as we have two ears) but is placed differently in the soundscape. For example when the stereo width slider is pushed to the left, then all notes are located in the middle, but still remain stereo - thus it's different from a mono sound. It is like changing the width of the instrument…”

It means that that colouration is present at any stereowidth slider position – except at the MONO setting.

BEDLAMWARD, you’re right that it’s more obviously noticed mainly in the mid-hi register.

I understand the difference between mono and collapsing the field. I was only saying that collapsing the field, in the case I mentioned earlier, worked for me, and would be worth trying.

It also helps to lower the 7th partial slider.

Regardless, I'd like to hear an mp3 or two of the notes with the problematic sound. I know I've heard an off note at times with some settings on some presets, but I'm not sure we're hearing, and thus talking about, the same thing.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (18-08-2008 01:18)