Topic: Deep bass Steinway B grand example posted today!

As I mentioned previously, the file I posted is an example of a Steinway grand with a very nice deep bass, one which I would like to have.  I emailed Starr Parodi - who owns the piano, and she answered my email, giving permission to use excerpts from the album to post on this website.  Her piano is a 1928 Steinway B grand used in many musicals made by MGM in the 30's and 40's.  The surprise to me, however, was that she also told me she had exchanged the lower bass hammers with bigger ones from a 9-foot Steinway D, in order to get a richer, deeper bass sound!

This begs the question:  Can Pianoteq use this idea (model different hammers on the lower end), to get a better bass sound?

Music is the fuel of my soul engine

Re: Deep bass Steinway B grand example posted today!

I forgot to mention one thing:  When Starr Parodi replied to me, she ended her email with this funny -

"I added the larger hammers to give my piano a good 'KICK IN THE BASS     :lol

Does it make the bass register with a heavy touch??

I'm sorry, I don't undeerstand the question.

I refer about the keys touch, if the change of hammers, to larger ones, make it with a feeling, a sensensation touch of heavy compared to the anterior smaller hammers.

dreamsmith wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't undeerstand the question.

I don't  know.  you'd have to ask Starr Parodi, since it's her piano.   I wish I had her piano, so I could answer your question, but I don't have about $70,000 or so to get one like it .

My guess is that upon playing a piano with heavier hammers in one section, it wouldn't be very noticable.  I would think it would feel the same as the other sections.  But I'll say this:  if it was more work to get a better-sounding bass, I'd gladly do that.