Topic: iOS Version for iPad? Apparently someone thinks it's worth it ...

KORG does!:

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/softwar...odules.php

Last edited by merefield (15-11-2014 18:44)

Re: iOS Version for iPad? Apparently someone thinks it's worth it ...

Samples. Much, much, much,..., much easier cpu-wise than real modelling.

Gilles wrote:

Samples. Much, much, much,..., much easier cpu-wise than real modelling.

Certainly, acknowledged, but iPad, in its Air 2 form especially, is quite a powerful tablet now - triple core 1.5GHz with 2GB memory.

You only have to see what iPad can do shaping sounds with, for example, the amazing Turnado FX-processor to know it's a formidably powerful hardware product now, backed up with a stable efficient operating system. t a

Whatever your position on that, KORG's product represents competition:

If i want a portable piano for use with a controller keyboard, i can forego a laptop and take an iPad!

Last edited by merefield (15-11-2014 19:11)

Can somebody please explain why this "discussion" starts every 8 weeks? Apparently Modartt has analysed the the market and decided demand is not big enough for an iOS version at this point, end of story.

Apart from that, in another thread there was a lengthy discussion on why the apparent "power" of an iPad is not the same as "porting Pianoteq to it is effortless". And let's face it: even the most powerful tablets are still quite weak compared to PC hardware, especially when single-core performance counts, and while Pianoteq can and does use multiple cores, the work load is far from being split evenly between them. So the raw CPU power might just be sufficient. It just might. That's far from "it definitely is".

Porting from x86 to ARM would be a lot of work however, and for what: for a target audience that is most probably quite small. iOS users tend to think the world revolves around them, but this picture changes when you look at absolute numbers. In the end, Modartt might end up spending literally thousands of man-hours on that effort just to sell maybe a dozen iOS licences per year. And no, I am not exaggerating either number, this result is not only possible, but not even unlikely (at least if they charge the 'normal' price for an iOS Pianoteq).

Considering they would in fact have to sell many iOS licences or charge more for the iOS version than even for the PC version in order to make up for the additional effort and for the third(!) of the revenue that is taken by Apple, it is not really likely that an iOS version would be covering its own costs, let alone generate profits. And the occasional forum user every six to eight weeks exclaiming "but I want it" doesn't magically change the world.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Modartt decides to make an iOS version in the future and it is a huge success. I just wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by kalessin (15-11-2014 19:30)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

kalessin wrote:

Can somebody please explain why this "discussion" starts every 8 weeks?.

Sorry, perhaps I should have posted to prior thread, but my post was just to highlight the launch of an interesting competing product ... (I am a fully paid up happy user of Pianoteq on Mac btw)

A side note: Korg seems to have switched almost completely to iOS for all their software products. Judging from the other products, this piano sampler module will probably sell for 20-30 bucks. Two completely different business models, I'd say.

Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

merefield wrote:
kalessin wrote:

Can somebody please explain why this "discussion" starts every 8 weeks?.

Sorry, perhaps I should have posted to prior thread, but my post was just to highlight the launch of an interesting competing product ... (I am a fully paid up happy user of Pianoteq on Mac btw)

No need to apologize at all. Thanks for the reference. If it sounds as good as the previews promise, I will be a customer, since I really do need a decent sounding piano on my Ipad. (And feel compelled to add that I am a paying user for Pianoteq as well, from version 2 onwards, no less).

I myself have never heard of a decision by Modartt concerning Ios, or indeed by Korg as quoted, but others will know better.

Last edited by pz (16-11-2014 14:35)

I appreciate very much you posting this information. I'm always set-back when certain posters attempt to control others' thoughts.

I was under the impression that modleling was infact superiour to sampling in relation to the computer resourses.  The Ivory Grand sounds really good to me.  I know I would prefer a tablet to a PC. because a tablet should be able to be fitted to the music desk slot.  Moreover, a tablet has the potential to act as a music library, and a MIDI file player too.

One thing I didn't care for in the Korg sound samples are the strings.  To me they are very harsh, and not at all desirable.  I was very disappointed.

Last edited by GRB (16-11-2014 17:03)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

pz wrote:

I myself have never heard of a decision by Modartt concerning Ios

Nor have I.  I have to assume that the lack of an official position means they are still considering it and are working on one.  So it's likely just a matter of time.  I would be very surprised if they didn't have a working iOS prototype of Pianoteq in their labs as we speak.

The offical stance can be found in the FAQ:

Currently, we cannot tell when/if we will release a version for the iPad.

Translated from marketing speak this is the same as saying "we are currently not planning on releasing an iPad version anytime soon, so don't count on it". Of course Modartt doesn't say "we will never release an iOS version", as this would be counterproductive as it unnecessarily eliminates options.

Last edited by kalessin (17-11-2014 19:07)

kalessin wrote:

Translated from marketing speak this is the same as saying "we are currently not planning on releasing an iPad version anytime soon, so don't count on it". Of course Modartt doesn't say "we will never release an iOS version", as this would be counterproductive as it unnecessarily eliminates options.

Of course another possible translation of this message could be:

We're not commenting on unannounced products because there are laws that prohibit us from doing so.  But one is coming because we see plenty of interest for it.

dbudde wrote:
kalessin wrote:

We're not commenting on unannounced products because there are laws that prohibit us from doing so.  But one is coming because we see plenty of interest for it.

Inventing an hypothetical law won't make your wish come true...
The FAQ should probably be reworded "Currently, we don't know when/if we will release a version for the iPad."

You have to remember that english is not the primary language of the pianoteq team so sometimes the meaning  could be closer to the french equivalent. In french "nous ne pouvons dire" means "we don't know", not "we are forbidden to tell".

dbudde wrote:

To quote the great William: thy wish was father to that thought. And 4-6 people per years asking in the forums are not 'plenty of interest', at least not if you would have to probably invest along the lines of 1-5 person years into the product (i.e., a six-figure sum).

I know of absolutely no law prohititing a company from announcing a far-off product. In fact this is common business practice when a firm fears their customer base will go to the competition. There is even a term for products that are announced and never released: vapour-ware. In my very humble opinion, 'laws that prohibit us from doing so' are non-existent. The only reason for saying 'we cannot say if/when' about something while actually preparing to do it is when you want to keep the competition in the dark, but... what competition? All the other pure modelling solutions are hardware-based, all the other software solutions are hybrids.

Sample-based iPad solutions are not exactly new. Maybe the Korg thingy will be better than what exists right now. What better time for Modartt to yell 'we are developing a product as well, just wait'? This is what is usually done, at least. And if Modartt really wanted to hint that they are actually putting effort into a project, then this would sound rather different, I am pretty sure: this would be something along the lines of 'we are currently investigating the possibility of releasing a version for platform X in the near future'.

Last edited by kalessin (17-11-2014 21:36)

You do realize that the F in FAQ means frequently.  The only reason to put something in the FAQ is they are getting a lot of questions about it.  Otherwise, why bother.

kalessin wrote:

I know of absolutely no law prohititing a company from announcing a far-off product.

Announcing a product that does not exist to gain a competitive advantage is illegal via Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890.

Not saying people don't do this.  But it is illegal at least in the United States.

dbudde wrote:

Announcing a product that does not exist to gain a competitive advantage is illegal via Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890.

Not saying people don't do this.  But it is illegal at least in the United States.

Apart from me caring jack-- about some obscure and antique US antitrust law from almost 125 years ago (which I find hard to believe is applied today, at least without serious modifications) and apart from its general irrelevance since Modartt is a European company operating under European antitrust law... please do humour me: where exactly does the Sherman Act prohibit announcing a future product? I'd like a full-text quote with context, please.

If there is a provision against product announcements in this 'Sherman Act', it very probably deals with the scenario when a company makes a fraudulent announcement in order to gain an unfair advantage. Which is in fact illegal under almost any antitrust law, but which is a very serious accusation in need of proof, and which would at any rate be a far cry from what has been discussed here, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by kalessin (17-11-2014 22:44)

I don't care if you think it's relevant or not.  There are plenty of examples where this has been an issue. Companies that do business in the US need to heed these laws.  This is business 101. 

Some examples of recent activity can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Read the section on antitrust allegations.

Ok, but what about a TEGRA  version then?

Last edited by SteveKK (17-11-2014 23:15)

SteveKK wrote:

Ok, but what about a TEGRA  version then?

Hey, it's not mentioned in the FAQ.  Must not be that important.

dbudde wrote:

Companies that do business in the US need to heed these laws.  This is business 101.

But Modartt does not do business in the US. They have no subsidiaries in the States, at least to my knowledge. When you buy Pianoteq from them you explicitely accept that EU law is applicable, and the transaction is done in Euro. Yes I know of the bad habit of trying to sue everyone under US law, but you might find this a little bit difficult in this case. Apart from that, and I repeat: your precious US law does not say what you claim it says. See below.

dbudde wrote:

Read the section on antitrust allegations.

I did. And it underlines exactly my point. One has to actually prove that such an announcement has been made in bad faith. Good luck with that. Hence: announcing a product even before it 'exists' is not only a valid and usual business practice, it is also perfectly legal.

...few hardware or software developers have been found guilty of it. The section requires proof that the announcement is both provably false, and has actual or likely market impact.

Last edited by kalessin (18-11-2014 00:13)

The issue is not whether or not it can be proven.  But once you open yourself up to potential litigation, that can be expensive.  So why take that risk when all you need to do is not talk about unannounced products.  Which was my original point.  Enough said.

dbudde wrote:

The issue is not whether or not it can be proven.  But once you open yourself up to potential litigation, that can be expensive.

Two words: "frivolous lawsuit". Yes, it is tried now and again, but it is a risky gambit for the plaintiff. No court of law likes being abused.

dbudde wrote:

Enough said.

On that, we finally agree.

Last edited by kalessin (18-11-2014 00:13)

Gilles wrote:
dbudde wrote:
kalessin wrote:

Inventing an hypothetical law won't make your wish come true...
The FAQ should probably be reworded "Currently, we don't know when/if we will release a version for the iPad."

You have to remember that english is not the primary language of the pianoteq team so sometimes the meaning  could be closer to the french equivalent. In french "nous ne pouvons dire" means "we don't know", not "we are forbidden to tell".

I would translate it as " We aren't able to say"  Google translates "We don't know"  as  "Nous ne savons pas",  "Nous ne connaissons pas", ou "On ne sait pas".  I would agree with all of these.

Pour moi, je l'aime le son de Pianoteq

Last edited by GRB (18-11-2014 23:47)

Ok guys, isn't this enough about what Modartt said or meant to say? Time to move on...

Last edited by Ecaroh (18-11-2014 20:32)

kalessin wrote:

Can somebody please explain why this "discussion" starts every 8 weeks? Apparently Modartt has analysed the the market and decided demand is not big enough for an iOS version at this point, end of story.

Porting from x86 to ARM would be a lot of work however, and for what: for a target audience that is most probably quite small.

There is a contradiction in your attitude. You are questioning why there is so much demand for the iPad version (given that a forum is a fair sample of a larger statistical base of users), but stating that there isn't much demand. Which is it?

In my opinion, your viewpoint sounds like someone who does not personally desire nor understand something so therefore assumes a market doesn't exist for it, even though all pointers indicate that it does. Don't wallow in the status quo.

Let's just look at Kawai and their VPC 1. They were the first big manufacturer to enter this market. But people were saying for many many years, "when will someone make a keyboard controller with realistic piano action specifically for piano sample/modelling libraries?" Loads of people said there was no market for them, just as you are doing here. Kawai eventually releases such a keyboard with no other bell or whistles, purely for Virtual Piano instruments and it sells far far beyond their expectations such that it has been on back-order for 8 months. Said naysayers were wrong.

It is obvious to anyone with any foresight that iPad's or other tablets are the way to go as far as Pianoteq style piano instruments are concerned. Having a laptop specifically for pianoteq is a pricey pfaff. However, dedicating an iPad to the task is not unrealistic. Particularly since they are already used everyday by professional musicians to house and display their music manuscripts for their piano repertoire. iPads take up very little room, modestly priced and are basically wasted potential when all they are used for is distraction. They are capable tools and many software developers should take their head out of the sand and realise this. Oh and did I mention the user base for iOS is HUGE?

That is why people will continue to create threads asking when Modarrt will bring it out. That is why people such as myself will actually create a username for themselves solely to respond to posts questioning the size of the prospective market.

Last edited by Harpo (19-11-2014 05:57)

Harpo wrote:

modestly priced

Totally depends on the country you live in. It is definitely NOT "modestly priced" for Brazilians, or here in Croatia. Markup is over 30% compared to US prices.

So no, iPad running Pianoteq doesn't make sense for EVERYONE. I'd rather use a laptop and know I can utilize full polyphony and all features of the Pro version, instead of using a version with hampered features just because it had to be shoehorned to run on an ARM CPU.

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-11-2014 09:23)
Hard work and guts!

Regarding affordabilty, I would prefer an Android tablet version assuming the Android tablets are more or less equally capable with the Apple's.

Last edited by GRB (19-11-2014 14:38)

GRB wrote:

Regarding affordabilty, I would prefer an Android tablet version assuming the Android tablets are more or less equally capable with the Apple's.

In terms of power they are. But as far as I know latency is a problem, at least on a lot of Android devices. Due to the variety of drivers and hardware configurations, devices differ from one another quite noticeably. Linux is very capable of producing low-latency audio, but the last information I could gather on that matter was that a API is missing for apps to actually request exclusive, low-latency audio access.

Another problem is the USB-OTG capability: it is possible, Samsung integrate it in their higher-end devices, but noticeably Google themselves leave it out of the Nexus line. Effectively this means that it depends very much on the device whether (1) it will even work at all and (2) how big the latency will be, with the latter most probably ranging from 'annoying' to 'unusable'.

And let's face it, people wanting to produce real-time audio are not Google's target audience anyway, and the broad spectrum of different hardware choices is both the strength and the weakness of the platform. While Android has quite a large and growing market share in the tablet market (the iPad is slowly but quite constantly losing ground to the lower-cost competition), each and every Android tablet model's individual market share is negligible.

Edit: it seems Lollipop (5.0) will actually bring a lot of audio enhancements. Google seems to have finally listened. Android 5 will apparently offer low-latency audio, audio frequencies up to 96kHz and even support for external soundcards on OTG-enabled devices. This means that at least premium Android 5 tablets with a 'proper' USB port (e.g. the Samsung Galaxy series) could finally become a viable alternative.

Last edited by kalessin (19-11-2014 18:22)

It definitely would be more convenient if we could run high-end VSTs on tablets.  The latest mobile CPUs are creeping near the entry-level x86 desktop CPU performance (not counting Bay Trail) so we're getting close to the necessary processor power.  Might need another 2 years before there's enough of the latest tablets in end user hands.

I wouldn't like paying the extra 43% for Apple or Google to take their 30% cut for apps published through their stores -- but perhaps it would be worth it to reduce the clutter as I have an entire shelf sitting behind my DP for the speakers + laptop + 25" monitor.

Last edited by Mossy (20-11-2014 02:59)

Pianoteq needs to get onboard with an ipad version or they will lose us travelling musicians to this...

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/softwar...odules.php

For musicians on the move we want to reduce the weight of equipment we lug around so as to avoid exorbitant airline excess baggage charges.

Most of us carry an iPad around, but would rather leave the laptop at home to save weight.

Its all about portability for musicians on the move.

It all depends on how big of a chunk those travelling musicians are compared to the "regular" Pianoteq customers. I reckon they are a minority.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a big loss for Modartt.

Last edited by EvilDragon (28-11-2014 09:16)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It all depends on how big of a chunk those travelling musicians are compared to the "regular" Pianoteq customers. I reckon they are a minority.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a big loss for Modartt.

Hard to say what a so called Regular customer is.  I think they are the people who buy the Casio  pianos at Costco.  Pianoteq is already above their level and needs.  I'm of the belief that most people lugging around a keyboard would consider themselves "pro" in some way.  That is they have been or are being paid to perform.  I consider myself to have been a "pro."  I have a college degree in Music History, played piano professionally in Waikiki, had my performances featured on the local TV news numerous times, won jazz festival competitions in my early years.  I'm a voluntary Casio "artist."  I choose Casio because it's inexpensive, plays reasonably well, sounds okay, in spite of certain intervals being slightly out of tune.  But foremost is the fact that it is light weight and as a result easy to transport.  I don't care how good an instrument is, if it's heavy and difficult to transport, I don't want it.

Last edited by GRB (28-11-2014 23:25)

I use sometimes Pianoteq with my Windows 8 tablet (Acer Iconia 510). It works very well. Though 2-core 1.8Gzh CPU works at 50-70% while playing passages and long pedaling, I have very rare problems with CPU overloading. That's why I can understand Ipad users, who want to have PT on their tablets. It is very convenient: there is so much problems with transfering my big Samsung laptop, but tablet is small, light and works without power supply for a long time. I also had no problems with latency through usb-port.

GRB, in my opinion, Windows 8 is much better than Android and Ipad for professional purposes - you can use any software that supports Windows. It means almost everything (for example, Pianoteq)) Ipad and Android are more entertaining devices.

Last edited by Kridlatec (21-12-2014 13:09)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Kridlatec wrote:

GRB, in my opinion, Windows 8 is much better than Android and Ipad for professional purposes - you can use any software that supports Windows. It means almost everything (for example, Pianoteq)) Ipad and Android are more entertaining devices.

When I buy a new computer, I always remove any version of Windows and install Linux Mint.

I'd buy the app!
I keep checking every so often on their site. Who knows?
I have a feeling they are brewing something together. It is high time...

I bought the KORG app a while back for my IPAD air and then paid for the Synthony Ivory upgrade.
Very nice tone, but was very disappointed with the playability. The notes sounded kind of dead
and uneven. The sustain and the resonance just weren't there. Perhaps because the IPAD app has only 3 velocity layers?
Went back to Pianoteq and couldn't be happier. Pianoteq just works the best with my controller (a 15 year-old
Kawai MP9000). The velocity responses on the keys are getting slightly uneven (just like a real used piano)
and Pianoteq just is much more natural sounding with my kit.

Last edited by bebop603 (12-01-2016 15:40)
Pianoteq 5, Dell Studio 14 (core i3 2.26 ghz), M-Audio Uno midi connector, Echo Indigo Djx (expresscard), Little Dot MK V Headphone Amp, Senn 580 Headphones, Kawai MP9000 digital piano

I'm a very happy Pianoteq user and have been for sometime. Although i'd really like it adapted to the iPad or Android in the future, it works perfectly well on my touchscreen laptop which I've made a shelf for above my piano for easy access. I've tried using the Korg app on my mates iPad Air and have to agree, I wasn't that impressed overall, Pianoteq is far better and truer sounding. I've always been an Android user but like others have mentioned, you tend to see latency issues so I suppose I'd have to look at purchasing an iPad if an app did materialize. I've just bought a digital Roland V-Piano from an online auction in pretty much mint condition. It's improved my pianoteq experience tenfold so I'm just enjoying having a play and trying out new sounds. Looking forward to the next release and even more features but very happy with my current setup and want to thank Pianoteq for such a great product.

Fred.

OK so now iOS supports Audio Units:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/05/first-loo...-plug-ins/

as does at least Cubasis for iOS:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mo...start.html

!!!!!

Come on Modartt

Last edited by merefield (18-02-2016 18:34)

I assume Modartt hasn't come out with an iPad version yet because they don't have iOS programming expertise and they're worried about their business model (i.e. iOS apps in general sell for far less than Mac OS apps).

I'd love to see an iOS version of Pianoteq, and I think the time is right in the industry for them to do it, if Modartt can do the programming.

The reason I think the time is right is that recent iPads have (I believe) enough power to run the full Modartt Pianoteq software model.  Perhaps only the new iPad Pro does, but the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4 are pretty capable, and the iPad Air 3 (as well as the iPhones 6 and new 4" iPhone 5se) all should feature the A9 or A9X processor.  So, this year the recent iOS devices have taken and new iOS devices will continue to take large strides in advancing their processing power, and should have the capability to run Pianoteq 5.5 or 6.

Pianoteq's competition, on the other hand, the big sampled virtual pianos, require a huge amount of disk space or memory.  Only the top-end versions of the iPhones 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad Mini 4 have even 128GB of storage. Synthogy's American Concert D requires 50 GB of space (and requires the infuriating iLok). Best Service's Galaxy Vintage D seemingly requires much less but recommends 2GB RAM, which is also only on the newest and top-end iOS devices for now. So the storage requirements of the high-end sampled pianos make it difficult to use them on iOS devices, especially as their memory and storage also are used up by other software.

But, in a few years 128 GB of storage will drop down to the mid-tier iOS devices, or possibly even be the standard. 2GB of RAM or more is likely to be standard soon.  In that case there will be no reason that the latest and greatest sampled virtual pianos couldn't be played even from an iPhone.

So it seems to me that Modartt has a window of opportunity that will last this year and maybe another one or two after that, when their product can play well on iOS devices and their competitors can't.  If they jump in now, they can get a first-mover advantage and become established in the iOS software piano space.

As to price, I'd think Modartt would offer the Stage version and one instrument for $40-$50, with in-app purchases to add instruments and capabilities.  I'd like to see full Stage for that price, and Standard for $100 on iOS, but that would affect the market for their Mac OS/PC versions... Perhaps they could make it up by offering a discount on the Mac/PC version if you also owned the iOS version, prompting many users to buy both versions?

I really hope Modartt has seen this window of opportunity beginning to open for them and has planned something for us soon.  If not, I suspect lower-priced sampled pianos will enter the iOS market soon and they in turn will have first-mover advantage.

That's my analysis-- wish I knew how much iOS expertise Modartt had on board or could afford to acquire...

That's my analysis-- wish I knew how much iOS expertise Modartt had on board or could afford to acquire...

Well if they need an IOS programmer (which I doubt very much) they can contact me (see GrassGames.com).

tfort wrote:

[...] and I think the time is right in the industry for them to do it, if Modartt can do the programming.[...]

I perfectly agree! I have mentioned PTQ to several people who keep arguing that a Laptop is just too much of a hassle
for performances. They take the easy route and use the sounds on their keyboards.

Imho this is a major short-coming concerning sound, at least when a piano sound is needed, and personally I would add the laptop.
But sometimes even small obstacles can be decisive.

Offering an iOS version of that runs on an iPad (even only the Pro) may thus open the door to a much wider use of PTQ.

All this being my personal impression and opinion, of course.

That Pianoteq already runs on Linux, Apple and Windoze is SOME indication that it is pretty much platform independent, i.e. it doesn't depend much on the support from any particular O/S. 
The machine code is eventually the Intel/AMD instruction set, but that is largely irrelevant.

Twenty years ago, even THIRTY years ago it wasn't THAT HARD to cross compile for different platforms.
Tedious editing of make files ?
Sometimes, but it was certainly not a major re-write.
BTW it can be quite surprising how many latent bugs show themselves when you port to another platform, so it can help a LOT with QC

aandrmusic wrote:

That Pianoteq already runs on Linux, Apple and Windoze is SOME indication that it is pretty much platform independent, i.e. it doesn't depend much on the support from any particular O/S.

It sure DOES depend on OS support, or better said, Modartt depends heavily on the framework they use (JUCE) to support all the changes in various OS updates and so on. There's a lot of difference in how a GUI is constructed on Windows vs OSX - the framework needs to handle that with no fail. And it's no small feat to achieve that - which is why JUCE took years and years to develop by a ninja coder of sorts.

Last edited by EvilDragon (27-02-2016 17:52)
Hard work and guts!

the UI would have to be redone anyways - one cannot use a mouse-centered UI on a touch device like the iPad. I guess the sound generation is rather low level, so it might part quite well.
If they use AU format, they might even get away with a pretty minimal UI - not nice for the user .. but ...

On the other hand - it runs well on surface pros with windows 8.1 or 10 ... so, no need for a laptop anyways. Full support for audio interfaces, midi interfaces -  not really many touch friendly UIs - and Pianoteq itself works well with the pen and ok-ish with touch on the surface. And there you can use one activation of the already purchased license - if one has a spare activation.

(Of course, Windows is not MacOSX is not iOS ... I use all three of them heavily .... was every critical concerning Windows for 20 years and Mac user all the way ... so, I know that one can work with Windows 10 without getting viruses, or mental illness or whatever)

Just my thoughts

An interesting thread people!

I'm from a generation who remember when the most appalling synths and keyboards used to cost thousands so I cannot help grinning when people start bemoaning amazing products at 21st century prices :-)

My concerns with Pianoteq and iOS would be more to do with the latency/performance issue - a fantastic piano model and 12Ms latency seems like running a Porsche on square wheels.
But if Modartt can achieve low latency & a quality product with a cross grade/ dual license option then I don't see why it's not viable. Only they know how much effort would be involved in such a project (I'm just a piano player!).
I'd only point out they there are threads here with users asking how they can get a lightweight convenient laptop to use Pianoteq on their gigs. The best thing I've found so far is a Receptor, but these aren't cheap so maybe it's more cost effective to have an iPad & a (relatively) expensive App?
But now I think it through, you'd also need a decent audio/midi interface (I use the Focusrite iTrack which is excellent, so the costs add up whichever way you look at it.
(But it's all cheaper and lighter than a concert grand :-)

EvilDragon wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:

It sure DOES depend on OS support, or better said, Modartt depends heavily on the framework they use (JUCE) to support all the changes in various OS updates and so on. There's a lot of difference in how a GUI is constructed on Windows vs OSX - the framework needs to handle that with no fail. And it's no small feat to achieve that - which is why JUCE took years and years to develop by a ninja coder of sorts.

Sure, JUCE wonderfully takes care of a lot, which basically means that Pianoteq's programmers don't have to.
and BTW (according to wiki) it is supported on;

Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
    Mac OS X versions 10.5 and later
    iOS versions 3 and later
    Linux kernel series 2.6 and later
    Android using NDK-v5 and later

...and probably later versions of Windoze, e.g. 10.

Seems it should be reasonably simple to "get there from here".
Tedious perhaps, but reasonably simple.

but the CORE value of pianoteq is surely in the model (mathematics) not the GUI.

Last edited by aandrmusic (29-02-2016 03:34)

Where is the app Modartt? Come on... I'm waiting impatiently. It's high time

I would say forget it.  Until an iPad has the performance of a current i5 chip. Otherwise you will find its performance lacking and by comparison to pianoteq on a computer disappointing- FWIW my advice to modart is to keep up producing great synthesis of keyboard sounds on computers.

rAC wrote:

I would say forget it.  Until an iPad has the performance of a current i5 chip. Otherwise you will find its performance lacking and by comparison to pianoteq on a computer disappointing- FWIW my advice to modart is to keep up producing great synthesis of keyboard sounds on computers.

According to test the CPU in the iPad pro in single CPU benchmarks is up to or even tops the i5 in the Surface Pro 4. (which has a mobile dual-core i5 latest generation)
I use Pianoteq on a Surface Pro 3 with i5 which is slower than the i5 in the Pro 4.
Of course, how will the iPad perform under constant CPU load, I do not know. but the gap between mobile CPUs and Core-i is not that huge anymore, according to benchmarks.

Of course, from the developer side iPad can be is something different than Mac or Windows. and also pricing might get difficult ....

just my thoughts

best

Last edited by steff3 (10-06-2016 21:41)

I love my Pianoteq but it will likely stay desktop focused, the modeling break-through for iOS will likely be brought by an iOS-focused developer.

Remember AKAI gave way to Gigasampler which embraced PC
Gigasampler gave way to Kontakt which embraced plugin/in-process sequencing

iOS has its own innovators and progress is accelerating of late.