Topic: Keyboards - Authenticity vs. Playability

Ok, this is a speculated theoretical thread, but I'm just curious. I read a lot about the keyboard controllers being "as a real" piano keyboards. But what about being much better than real? Wooden keys? I dont care. Graded weight - not so sure it is good, it is essential for a piano hammers but not sure so good for a MIDI controller. If I could design my own controller I'd test the extreme length of the keys towards the pivot point, thats first of all. Say 50 cm. or more, why not? All that release technologies - I don't know, need to be tested. Several velocity sensors - yes, sounds good. And I'd like to have mechanically user adjustable parameters such as weight, deep, and as many as possible others, unified by, say, one knob per function.

Re: Keyboards - Authenticity vs. Playability

The main reason in my opinion why wooden keys are better is their relative weight. Yes, heavier keys mean more control in piano play. Also plastic keys tend to be a bit more rigid. Wooden keys just feel 'better'. That said, manufacturers already strive to build the most precise electronic piano actions they can.

In the special case of a piano controller there is another aspect, however: I frankly don't care that 'realism' is of no importance to you... for me and most others it is, and that's the reason the available controllers aim for it. Realism in an electronic keyboard means that I have less to worry about when switching to/from an acoustic instrument, as 'acoustic' is still the norm and ideal (and will hopefully stay that way for quite some time yet).

Last edited by kalessin (07-11-2014 15:34)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

"Yes, heavier keys mean more control in piano play"

It is very questionable statement. Heavy keys on a real piano is not just "lets make them heavy" - it is the essential nature of the mechanic with lots of compromises involved. What is less questionable is that heavy keys = muscle energy unnecessary waste, so the perfect controller keyboard should have very light keys. It's in no way spoil the control of the "sensors"; while in real piano, well, it just can't be extremely light by it's nature, electricity from the outlet does not involved, only muscle energy. Lover octaves are harder to control than trebles btw.

"Realism in an electronic keyboard means that I have less to worry about when switching to/from an acoustic instrument, as 'acoustic' is still the norm and ideal (and will hopefully stay that way for quite some time yet)."

Totally agree before the word "ideal". Nothing in the world is ideal, it is just a balance of compromises. Realism for switching between real and electronic - yes, reasonable. But realism just for realism... No, thank you. Music and the performance is the main goal, the most direct, natural and economic (ergonomic) ways to achieve is the most interesting, for me at least.

"That said, manufacturers already strive to build the most precise electronic piano actions they can."

Not so sure, I'd better say manufacturers strive to make as much money as possible, thats is the main reason in most cases.

Last edited by AKM (07-11-2014 17:27)

I have the same concerns.  Mimicking piano actions is a good start but not the end of the story in terms of optimizing playability for new instruments.  In particular, I don't see that graded weights are really justified.   Do I need to feel gradations of weight within a single octave?  I think not; we assume that the weights under the span of the hand are very similar; graded weights don't help me at that scale. Do I need to feel different playing a pattern in one register than another -- in particular, more for the left hand than the right?  I really see no musical reason for that either.  If anything, it is a favor for the left hand for its keys to be as light as the rest of the keyboard.

@smulloni

Exactly. But, as I said my dream keyboard should be easy user adjustable for all that stuff including graded weight.

Last edited by AKM (07-11-2014 18:08)

Andrei,

You surely missed Kallesin's point about moving from acoustic to digital and back?   Digital has dynamic range but no digital has a "practical" key velocity range of an acoustic piano.

You said that you would prefer a digital action to be very light.   Surely the lighter the action the smaller will be the "key velocity range"?   In addition you saw no merit in graded key "weight".  Are you saying that just  increasing the relative volume of bass notes is sufficient?   Graded weight allows players whether acoustic or digital to anticipate the volume of the next note they will play. 

When I talk about key weight and graded weight I'm meaning real weight not software adjustment by menu or by knob as with the Lachnit 22

Ian

Last edited by Beemer (07-11-2014 18:33)

smulloni wrote:

I have the same concerns.  Mimicking piano actions is a good start but not the end of the story in terms of optimizing playability for new instruments. 

I completely agree:  It seems to me that it's the equivalent of looking for bird excrement in a cuckoo clock!

Cheers,

Joe

Beemer wrote:

Andrei, You surely missed Kallesin's point about moving from acoustic to digital and back?

+1. Acoustic piano is the reference, standard for piano sound, and so long as acoustic piano exists and are used in practice there is a problem for players of easy switching between acoustic and digital pianos. This is why digital pianos want mimicry acoustic ones, including its non-ideality (like different weight of keys).

Last edited by Ross (07-11-2014 19:17)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Personally, I find key weight to be essential for good technique... I can play much faster, with more control and generally better on a real piano keyboard than on a light plastic keyboard.

Beemer,

"You surely missed Kallesin's point about moving from acoustic to digital and back?"

No, i did not. If you reread my answer I said that it is a very reasonable statement, though I'd like to not to be limited by it.

"Surely the lighter the action the smaller will be the "key velocity range"?"

Sure not, how it depends from the lightness - hardness? Sensors just measure the time between two points (velocity).

"In addition you saw no merit in graded key "weight".  Are you saying that just  increasing the relative volume of bass notes is sufficient?   Graded weight allows players whether acoustic or digital to anticipate the volume of the next note they will play"

I'd prefer actually not "anticipate" but rather control it by myself, so the even keyboard is a good way to go.

Actually I do my best to show some argumentation, though, as I mentioned, I'd like to be able to control this settings (ideally). I don't insist on all my statements, but just showing the possible direction - not towards emulation but beyond it.

robsogge wrote:

Personally, I find key weight to be essential for good technique... I can play much faster, with more control and generally better on a real piano keyboard than on a light plastic keyboard.

No, you can't control light plastic keyboard not because it lightness. The main reason is construction problems - the pivot point on a plastic controllers is right at the end of the keys. No way to be able to control such keys, for even velocity values you need to strike several times harder at deeper regions of the keys. For 'control' the inner length of the keys is essential. But with the same length light keys are easier to control (static inertia resistance for example). Just check it on your acoustic piano, which keys are easier to control, base or trebles?

Last edited by AKM (07-11-2014 19:36)

AKM wrote:
robsogge wrote:

No, you can't control light plastic keyboard not because it lightness. The main reason is construction problems - the pivot point on a plastic controllers right at the end of the keys. No way to be able to control such keys, for even velocity values you need to strike several times harder at deeper regions of the keys. For 'control' the inner length of the keys is essential. But with the same length light keys are easier to control (static inertia resistance for example). Just check it on your acoustic piano, which keys are easier to control, base or trebles?

believe me, I have better control with weighted keys...   they sort of counterbalance the action of fingers. And I like to have some resistance from the instrument, something to work against...

No, I don't believe, because you just have no chance to check. There is no such keyboard on the market (with long an light keys).

Again, just check, play a rapid quiet passage with your right hand on a trebles and then on a bass octave. You insist you have the better control playing in the bass range?!

Last edited by AKM (07-11-2014 19:48)

ah ok then we're talking about nothing, at least nothing that's in existence at the moment. I have nothing to say at this point... but I still can't see why you're imposing your point of view to others.

The modeling software itself has been left out of this discussion. Wouldn't it seem odd to put such painstaking work into a program designed to accurately create virtual models of historical or contemporary pianos, and then make no demands on the physical side of things?

The alternative has been well explored—synthesizers. With them, we create synthetic sounds with no direct link to tradition. I doubt few synthesizer players care much for weighted or graded piano action, and for a good reason—they are operating within an entirely different sphere. Also, people who just want Pianoteq in order to add interesting sounds to recordings might not need an authentic piano feel, since their aim isn't practice or the joy of playing itself, but rather the recording. Or someone who just wants to play the Pianoteq clavichord. In that case, a cheap semi-weighted M-Audio controller would probably be better than a VPC-1.

Pianoteq operates within the realm of piano tradition. It would seem odd to me that a player, whose aim is not recording but the act of making music itself, would make such stringent demands of the realism of the sounds of the Pianoteq D4, for example, which has been so thoroughly developed to sound and respond like a real Steinway, and yet no demands of the physical controller in terms of realism.

If we do away with trying to recreate the real feel of an acoustic piano in the controller, why don't we do away with the aural realm of piano tradition as well, and just play synthesizers?

Last edited by matthew (07-11-2014 21:27)

Ok, do you personally want to have a keyboard that allows you to play the passages better and faster than F. Liszt could play, to be able to put all your attention in expression and musicality playing beautiful classical music on a beautifully modelled software making an piece of art instead of fighting against freakin crazy unnecessary heavy action and inconsistent weight and, sorry, again, pivot point physics (this seems to me the main important aspect)? Or you are a masochist sacrificing for the sake of 'realism'?

Last edited by AKM (07-11-2014 21:36)

Yes, well, the only conceivable way I would play any better of faster than Liszt would be if someone gave me not a keyboard with very light keys of uniform weight, but rather a magic keyboard.

I suppose the only compelling reason left is what has already been mentioned: to maintain consistency among instruments. I personally hope to someday take lessons on and own an acoustic piano. I also enjoy playing on pianos around town and at the local university's practice rooms. It order to keep the transition as smooth as possible, I'll stick with the full-weighted keys and gradated action. If I had no hope of playing an acoustic piano in the future, or no desire to play one, I would be all for your idea.

There's certainly nothing stopping anyone for pursuing her or his own wishes and playing on whatever keyboard, for whatever reason!

Ok ;)

Last edited by AKM (08-11-2014 07:12)

Just to ad variety to our conversation:

http://music.stackexchange.com/question...ve-playing

Ian

Beemer wrote:

Just to ad variety to our conversation:

http://music.stackexchange.com/question...ve-playing

Ian

Interesting read, thanks

I must say that I need the heavier keys... I haven't tried a light, long key, for understandable reason, but I have a Yamaha CLP-150 (some years now..) with weighted, plastic keys. And when I have practice a lot I feel like the keys are quite ok. But when I have failed to practice for a while I always think the keys are to light. It's like I need the heavy keys to keep my fingers in controll, specially when I haven't practice as I should...

berghs.kedjan wrote:

I must say that I need the heavier keys... I haven't tried a light, long key, for understandable reason, but I have a Yamaha CLP-150 (some years now..) with weighted, plastic keys. And when I have practice a lot I feel like the keys are quite ok. But when I have failed to practice for a while I always think the keys are to light. It's like I need the heavy keys to keep my fingers in controll, specially when I haven't practice as I should...

Yes, sure. Same me. Just got a Casio PX-150 which I find to be extremely dumb on action but I actually glad because after it I feel like a bauss on some grands around which I was kind of afraid previously. Thats why I say that a magical dream controller keyboard should be adjustable by user.

If you are pianist you want heavy graded weight and wooden keys, if you are not pianist you don't understand why it's important... it's all what you have to understand.

Lylo wrote:

If you are pianist you want heavy graded weight and wooden keys, if you are not pianist you don't understand why it's important... it's all what you have to understand.

On a side note, Kawai has just updated the RH keyboard: now it's RH-III, e.g. in the CN-25 and CN-35. And guess what the main difference is between RH-II and RH-III: from what I hear, it's mainly heavier keys. If lighter really were better, this would mean that the new version is worse than the predecessor. Which it isn't, from what I hear, on the contrary. People actually playing the piano (and not a synthesizer) for more than a few years know how hugely important the inertia of the keys is, and this (apart from key length) is still one of the main differences between brands and between electronic and acoustic instruments, with a clear trend towards heavier and more realistic actions.

Last edited by kalessin (08-11-2014 17:52)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

Not all acoustic grands have the same action or feel.  On most grands the key length is the same as the balance rail is straight.  On better pianos, the balance rail is off-set, and the keys are proportionally longer in the bass section.  Weight is added to the front of the keys to adjust the balance.   Key height has a lot to do with how a piano feels as well as the dip of the key.  Raising the the height of the black keys just a small amount can make the action seem much heavier.  Of course how well the piano is lubricated makes a difference in regards to the smoothness of the action.  All of the friction points must move freely and easily.  The jacks must be properly adjusted along with the hammer height,  drop, and back check.  Most keyboards on electronic pianos have very little or no adjustment.  My Yamaha KX-88 had the pivot at the very back, a fishing weight at the front and a small leaf spring that provided the resistance.  Velocity settings where sketchy at best as I could never get a full 128 MIDI velocity out of it no matter how hard I played it.  Interestingly the Casio PX-150 has an actual gravity action with no springs.     I have ideas on how it could be improved, but Casio doesn't write back when you make suggestions.  Personally I think optical sensors would be better, but I'm not sure.  It's possible that they might be too temperamental.  In my opinion pianos with somewhat softer hammers are easier to control than ones with hard bright hammers which are usually the result of being voiced too hard.  To really make comments on a piano's action, it's best if you understand how they really work, but in the end is a psycho-accoustic experience where a lot of the feed back comes from the ear, not the fingers.  What is paramount is the ability to control the sound levels easily.  That's the essence of music.

Last edited by GRB (09-11-2014 23:24)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

. . .  Thats why I say that a magical dream controller keyboard should be adjustable by user. . . .

I got interested in that a while ago.  Googling:

. . .    haptic piano keyboard

will get you some information.  It's not impossible, but it's not easy, and it won't be cheap.

No, there isn't one on the market, yet.

.       Charles

kalessin wrote:

On a side note, Kawai has just updated the RH keyboard: now it's RH-III, e.g. in the CN-25 and CN-35. And guess what the main difference is between RH-II and RH-III: from what I hear, it's mainly heavier keys.

This is not correct.

The main difference between RHII and RHIII is the inclusion of counter-weights (at the front of the black and white keys) on the latest version.  I explained this improvement on the PianoWorld forum a few months ago, but will repost the information here for reference:

RHIII is an evolution of RHII (which was an evolution of RH).  The action mechanism remains largely unchanged, and the keys/key pivot are the same length.

One of the main improvements with RHIII is the addition of counterweights embedded towards the front of each key, visible inside the transparent black and white keys in this photo:

http://i57.tinypic.com/wwiza0.png

These counter-weights help to lighten the touch of the keyboard during pianissimo passages, but they also contribute to a feeling of greater 'substance' when playing with force.  Kawai's wooden-key actions have long since featured counterweights towards the front of the keys, but this is the first time counterweights have been employed in a plastic key action.

One reason Kawai's wooden key actions feel so satisfying to play is because the key itself is solid, whereas plastic keys are hollow.  We obviously can't produce solid plastic keys, however the added counterweights seem to improve that satisfying 'meatiness' of the action, to the point where it's approaching that of solid wooden keys.

Another improvement you may be able to see in the picture above is the presence of black 'shims' covering the lower guides at the front of the keys.  These help to further minimise keyboard action noise and key stability.  Generally speaking, the original RH action was already pretty quiet, and this aspect was improved with RHII, and now once again with RHIII.

An on the topic of wooden keys, I believe the KawaiMP.com website provides sufficient information about the merits of using this material for the keys of a keyboard instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Last edited by Cute James (10-11-2014 01:35)
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

Cute James wrote:

The main difference between RHII and RHIII is the inclusion of counter-weights (at the front of the black and white keys) on the latest version.

So, the keys are not heavier, they just have more weight?

You are actually describing exactly what I meant: I was talking about heavier keys, meaning keys with more mass, not a heavier 'touch'. The additional weights do two things: they actually lighten the touch in pianissimo play while increasing the keys' inertia at the same time, which is what you refer to as 'greater substance' in fortissimo.

What keys with more mass therefore do is increase the dynamics range I can play in a controlled way, and this is one very good additional reason for wooden keys apart from the different mechanical properties like rigidity.

Last edited by kalessin (10-11-2014 08:50)

I'm interested in a light weight keyboard.  While the feel of the Kawai is very good, I believe their keyboards weigh about 60 lbs as compared to 25 lbs for the Casio PX-150.  I would favor an improved Casio.  Interestingly one of the suggestions to improve the Casio would be to had a rubber noise dampening bushing at the front which apparently Kawai has done.  Also Casio should add a wider tail at the back of the metal bar (hammer) so the weight would be better distributed on the felt strip at the back which I think will be very prone to compress as it is now.  Also I favor an all plastic mechanism, as wood warps, and termites eat it.  Living in Hawaii, that is a great concern.  I have an older Chickering grand that has keys that have actually twisted over time.  Of course plastic can be come brittle over time and fracture. The Kawai key system has a silicone nipple that gives the illusion of the jack release.  It rubs against  the key bed in some way to create the illusion.  I wonder how long this will last before the nipples wear out.

For me, authenticity and playability are not at odds with each other...if anything, authenticity improves playability. It's much easier for me to play and play accurately if I'm using a weighted keyboard.

Authenticity is, however, at odds with two very important constraints: portability and affordability.

Then again, you CAN get a new Williams Allegro weighted 88-key hammer-action keyboard for just $249. I'm sure it's not the highest quality product in the world, but hey, it's 88 hammer-action keys for $249.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Williams/Al...7619015002

The weight isn't terrible either...just under 30 lbs.

GRB wrote:

The Kawai key system has a silicone nipple that gives the illusion of the jack release.  It rubs against  the key bed in some way to create the illusion.  I wonder how long this will last before the nipples wear out.

After playing with my nipples for a couple of weeks, I ripped them out. I didn't like the way they felt after a while and now that they are gone, I do feel more liberated when I play. Sigasa did something similar with his nipples but I think he just pushed his out of the way.

mabry wrote:
GRB wrote:

The Kawai key system has a silicone nipple that gives the illusion of the jack release.  It rubs against  the key bed in some way to create the illusion.  I wonder how long this will last before the nipples wear out.

After playing with my nipples for a couple of weeks, I ripped them out. I didn't like the way they felt after a while and now that they are gone, I do feel more liberated when I play. Sigasa did something similar with his nipples but I think he just pushed his out of the way.

In general, I like to play with nipples, but not my own (:

The Casio hybrid pianos (GP500 flagship, and GP300 in Satin Black) use longer wooden keys (Bechstein) and no (No) escapement simulation. This allows for faster repeated notes than on a concert grand (apparently).

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Do you know if the mechanics and especially the fulcrum length are exactly the same in GP500 and GP300?

AKM wrote:

Do you know if the mechanics and especially the fulcrum length are exactly the same in GP500 and GP300?

Same action exactly according to Casio specs and advertising. If you're mainly going to run Pianoteq, might be better looking at the cheaper of the two - the GP300 - which is £1000 cheaper than the GP500.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

So anybody actually tried them personally? How are they by personal experience? Overall they seems to be this days the king of the hill DPs from what I can explore about them.

sigasa wrote:
AKM wrote:

Same action exactly according to Casio specs and advertising. If you're mainly going to run Pianoteq, might be better looking at the cheaper of the two - the GP300 - which is £1000 cheaper than the GP500.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

P.s. I intend to review the Casio hybrids as soon as they arrive at my local music store early this month (I'm informed). I have been permitted to hook it/them up with my laptop for the purpose of assessing performance with Pianoteq. I'll post the review on this forum as soon as it's completed.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Cool, looking forward it, very interesting.

Last edited by AKM (01-11-2015 15:36)

AKM wrote:

So anybody actually tried them personally? How are they by personal experience? Overall they seems to be this days the king of the hill DPs from what I can explore about them.

They are indeed getting rave reviews. The proprietor at my local music store says he was blown away by the hybrids!

Chris