Topic: Good controller for travel?

I am thinking about accepting a job that will have me working abroad in two different cities for a year. My only hesitation is... my piano!

Since I'll be flying around a lot, taking cabs, etc, does anyone have any suggestions for a portable, lightweight controller for use with Pianoteq? It doesn't need to have speakers, nor does it even need to have 88 keys. About 90% of what I play is Baroque or Classical stuff that doesn't use those distant keys anyway. All it needs is full weighted action.

I found this, which looks tempting, but still somewhat heavy: http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-64/

Is there anything else like this on the market, which is affordable, would fit in a reasonably sized ATA flight case, and serve as a good travel solution for use with Pianoteq?

Thanks for any ideas!

Matthew

Last edited by matthew (04-11-2014 06:07)

Re: Good controller for travel?

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RD-64/ it's kind of unique taking into account your requirements. For this one you don't even need Pianoteq to play it.

But if you insist in using Pianoteq, maybe this would be interesting http://www.thomann.de/ro/fatar_vmk176_plus.htm

Last edited by DorinD (04-11-2014 10:39)

How about this:

http://tinyurl.com/patk4ao

Ian

VAX is cool, but too expensive and discontinued.

Hard work and guts!

That folding keyboard is amazing! Too bad there's nothing else like that on the market (and with one less zero on its price tag). It's times like this that I wish I had taken up the violin…

Matthew,

One more try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4-hisiZYhg

and

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...53#p935453

Ian

Last edited by Beemer (06-11-2014 10:17)

I have one of those "roll-up" keyboards (a 61 keys model). Cheap but 100% UNnusable. VERY bad.

Luc Henrion wrote:

I have one of those "roll-up" keyboards (a 61 keys model). Cheap but 100% UNnusable. VERY bad.

which one?  The top video or bottom?

Ian

the "USB.Brando" video. Look how the guy is "playing", it says a lot... very , very carefully !!!

matthew wrote:

That folding keyboard is amazing! Too bad there's nothing else like that on the market (and with one less zero on its price tag). It's times like this that I wish I had taken up the violin…

I suggested to Casio that they create a folding version of their PX-150.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

I am searching too for a small 4-octave-keyboard with weighted keys. Just to practice for the fingers when I am on travel. Unfortunately there is no manufacteur for this gap, the request for this is not economically.
But I found this:
http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansi...-go/2.html
(written in German)
This guy selfmade a 49-key keyboard from a studiologic numa nano. He simply cutted the keyboard with a saw. He didnt have much knowledge or handcraft abilities. I consider to do this. The NUMA NANO is at 700€.
He did use the upper 49 keys. Problem No.1 was: the deepest C-key of the so gained Keyboard didnt work, he found out the upper 48 keys belong to a block and the silent C-key belong to the (now unused) block of 40 lower keys. With trial-and-error-method he found the connection which cable he had to connect with this.
Problem No. 2 was to have ability to transpose. This he solved with programming some of the 64 free preset-places with different transposings. This is the short value of the story for those who dont speak German.
He writes he has used this keyboard for many gigs with satisfaction. The Keyboard is now 6.5 kg.
Please excuse my bad Englisch! Flieger.

I have a Vax77 keyboard.

I travel overseas a lot with work and bought it because of its folding ability.
Its a great keyboard, though was too expensive (due to its low production numbers and superb build). It was also rather heavy due to its construction on a metal chassis. Also its action was different and not nearly as pleasing as a real piano...even in its ultra heavy option.

However the concept of a folding piano is brilliant.

Can't understand why the mainstream manufacturers don't make one.

The biggest gripe of piano players who want to take a keyboard with them is its length. A full size keyboard won't fit on the back seat of a small car and is always a pain to fly with.

A folding keyboard on the other hand is half the length and can fit in a suitcase without looking conspicuous.

My ideal keyboard for travel would be like the VAX77 i.e 77 keys, weigh around 10 to 12kg, fold in half, come with a bullet proof travel case which weighs less than 6kg and which has some extra space for some clothing...for when travelling) cost less than U.S $1500, have a full weighted action and perhaps one decent authentic acoustic onboard piano sound (for times when I don't use pianoteq...or for when the computer crashes in the middle of a gig!)

Am I the only person who wants all this...or do the mainstrem keyboard manufacturers just not get it??

Would sell it to plenty of piano players who spend their life travelling.

Nothing better than having a piano with you when sitting wide awake in hotel rooms in far flung places at 3am in the morning due jet lag.....but nothing worse than having to lug a full size keyboard around airports.

Some of my most productive practice is when I am on the road.

The Roland RD64 posted above just isn't compact enough. And why extend its length with the controllers to the left of the keyboard...makes no sense if you are trying to make it super portable. Also 64 keys is just not quite enough for serious playing. Folding keyboards solve this issue..... 76 keys in the length of 38!

Come on Yamaha and Roland and Kawaii...build me one!

Last edited by tassie (28-11-2014 04:59)

There is a huge market for such a keyboard. If you search the net, you'll find dozens of posts by people who are just as frustrated as we are that there is no decent portable digital piano solution. It gets to the point where, as Flieger wrote, people start sawing perfectly good keyboards apart to make them smaller! I read two posts by people who took Yahama digitals to electrical engineers for similar modifications. Unfortunately, that's just way too expensive for most people.

Roland missed the mark with the RD-64, in my opinion. For people who never fly, fine—it works. But it can't work for air travel, even if they advertise it for such.

A digital piano suitable for air travel must:

1. Weigh less than around 25 lbs. This is because you need to keep the total weight, with an ATA flight case (which usually weigh around 25 lbs themselves) under 50 lbs (23 kg), in order to avoid overweight baggage fees (usually $100 per item). The Roland with a hard case comes in at over 50 lbs.

2. Next, it needs to fit in a case of which the sum of all the sides (h+w+l) must be under 62" (158 cm). This is to avoid the excessive size fee (usually $200 per item). The smallest case that fits the Roland is well over 62" linear inches.

I spent a week trying to find a fully weighted keyboard that met these criteria, before giving up completely. If you decide to fly with say, an RD-64, you would be looking at:

$300 flight case
$100 overweight fee x2 (roundtrip): $200
$200 oversize fee x2 (roundtrip): $400

So that's potentially a total of $900, including the case, just to take your piano on one trip!

I was going to be stationed in Hong Kong, but I've been moved to Moscow. And I'm not taking any keyboard with me. I am hoping to find a weighted controller to use with Pianoteq when I get there, for less than the fees would have costed me otherwise. That's long term though; there's still no solution for shorter trips.

How can I share pictures of my new Keyboard with you?
Did finish today my downsized Numa Nano with 41 keys.
It works! I´m happy!

This may not be practical for everyone, but:

Since "Craigslist" offers a simple way to do local buy-and-sell transactions:

. . . When you get to your destination, buy a new, or used, Casio PX-150;

. . . Play it as long as you're in that city;

. . . When you leave, use "craigslist" to sell it as a used PX-150.

In the US, the difference between "new" and "used" price should be around $150- $200.

So for a short trip, it's expensive.  But for a long one -- months, or a year -- it's cheaper than renting a digital piano.

From a Canadian source (   long-mcquade.com  ), the cost of renting a digital piano ranges from  $50/month (Roland RD-64 or Yamaha P105) to $99/month ( Roland RD-800 or FP-80).

https://www.long-mcquade.com/imgs/dec14...0rates.pdf

.      Charles

I had exactly the same problem.

playing same music  ....Classical and Baroque

I used for some months a Casio Privia PX-150

the keys are too light for my taste.

But I have to admit that for 11 KG .....the Casio keyboard is very good.

I switched to this one , a very very serious keyboard, the base of many Keyboard manufacturers worldwide.

- model VMK188plus from Studiologic. http://www.studiologic-music.com/vmk-188-plus.html

it's heavy ...21Kg....but you will not be disappointed

regards
luca

GRB wrote:

I suggested to Casio that they create a folding version of their PX-150.

Great suggestion. I'd also like a 76-key version (either folding or non-folding) but with the lowest note being A, just like that now defunct VAX77.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (11-01-2015 22:56)

Just as an update, I completely gave up on the idea of a travel keyboard and just purchased a digital upon arrival in Russia. I found a lightly used Yamaha P-35 at a shop for roughly $300. It's not quite like my Kawai ES7, but by no means bad, either. I have enjoyed playing on it, and I'll donate it to a local school when I leave next year. $300 would have hardly covered the overweight/oversize fees, were I to try to take my own keyboard.

Hello Matthew,

I have a adult piano student who is an IT programmer living in Illinois, but who commutes regularly to California. He actually keeps a spare Yamaha P140 (I believe) in his California office, and once there, carts it to his hotel in his rented car.   This has worked for my student, who has been a regular airline passenger for over two years.

I don't know whether your situation would allow you to stow a separate keyboard in the second city location without having to drag it with you on long commutes between cities.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Joe