Topic: Need help with damper pedals

Hi,

I am using Pianoteq on a PC, hooked up via a TC Electronic Konnekt 24D to a Roland A-80 MID controller keyboard. The damper pedal is a Roland DP-10, which I bought because it has half-damper support.

But I have a problem with the DP-10. It sends MIDI values 24 to 127. So I am getting a little bit of sustain even when the pedal is not depressed. Is this part of the design or is this a fault? I need to have the pedal send full range 0 to 127 for CC64.

I have already been in touch with Pianoteq support. Niclas has been very helpful and responsive, but is also stumped about the DP-10's behaviour. I have contacted Roland Asia-Pacific (because I live in Singapore) but have had no response so far.

I had previously tried the Yamaha FC3 but its polarity is reversed - sends MIDI 127 when the pedal is not depressed, and I can't figure out how to reverse the polarity.

Niclas has suggested using MIDI-OX to re-map the CC64 values but I want to satisfy myself that there is no other simple solution.

Re: Need help with damper pedals

I have successfully used MIDI-OX to remap 24-127 to 0-127, and then use Midi Yoke to connect the output of MIDI-OX to the input of Cantabile (the VST host for Pianoteq).

Unfortunately it is causing problems with Cubase, so isn't a permanent solution. I think the DP-10 is faulty, but am waiting for Roland to get back to me about my query.

I have solved the mystery problem with the DP-10.

I took apart the DP-10 and looked at the MIDI values generated by the potentiometer when I manually rotated it through its full range. The values ranged from 4 to 127, which was obviously better than what I was getting previously, i.e., 24 to 127.

This suggested that when the pedal is not depressed something is preventing it (and hence the potentiometer) from returning to the rest position at which its minimum MIDI value is output. It didn't take me long to notice that the felt pad against which the pedal rests was too thick. This felt pad is to prevent the pedal from contacting the pedal case when fully the pedal returns to the rest position. I will report the out-of-spec felt pad to Roland.

The solution then was simple -- I used the extended blade of a box cutter to slowly shave layers off the felt pad until it was thinner by about 50%. Goodbye MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke! I still don't get MIDI 0, but I guess the sustain at that level is practically unnoticeable.

Digitus wrote:

I had previously tried the Yamaha FC3 but its polarity is reversed - sends MIDI 127 when the pedal is not depressed, and I can't figure out how to reverse the polarity.

I have the FC3... you would have to swap the wires that connect to the tip and ring of the 3 conductor 1/4" phone jack.  You could do this without cutting the FC3 cable by buying a female 3 conductor phone plug and a male 3 conductor plug and simply wiring your own adapter that flips the wires.  If you are not adept with a soldering iron, you can just buy a female to male short cord and cut it and reconnect the wires by soldering or twisting and just tape it up nicely.  But now you've got me wondering if my Yamaha FC3 actually outputs the full travel of its potentiometer...  Sounds like Roland is skimping on the quality of their pots.  You could also replace the pot in the Roland with one of equal value but test it with an ohm meter first to make sure there is 0% resistance when it is fully closed and 100% resistance when it is fully open.  They should make expression pedals using the same electro-optical principle as my Morley guitar/keys volume pedal -no pots to go bad, just replace a small light bulb every 20 years !

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

It could very well be a quality issue with the pot not giving MIDI 0 at zero sweep. After all they did miss the problem with the felt pad that was too thick.

About reversing the polarity of the FC3, another way is to simply rewire the pot!

Digitus wrote:

About reversing the polarity of the FC3, another way is to simply rewire the pot!

Yeah... but that's a lot easier and cheaper than any of my solutions....  I'm still trying to develop an invention to screw in light bulbs.....!  ...I think I'll just crawl back behind my jazz box..........

If you are running PT inside a VST container, e.g. VSTHost, then you may be able use a VST MIDI plugin to invert and/or scale any channel signal values. Have a look at http://asseca.com/nicfit/ and the entry nF_CC_Scale_v2.

Wow! These are really neat plug-ins. Thanks for the link!

I was using MIDI-OX to re-map the CC64 values, and MIDI Yoke to route MIDI data between MIDI-OX and Pianoteq. But I was getting unacceptable latency problems when using the same with Cubase, so fixing the problem at the source was essential.

I still don't know where the latency problems are coming from. I suspect that the TC Electronic driver for the Konnekt 24D is *still* not right yet.

Reading this post has me worried, since I was about to buy the Yamaha FC3 pedal--was your problem with reversed polarity (so pedal-up sent pedal-down messages) caused by your Roland keyboard--Roland keyboards use a reverse polarity? So the FP3 would be fine with any keyboard other than a Roland? (I use an Ensoniq and an M-Audio.)

I don't know which party has the reversed polarity or even if there is a universally accepted way of wiring up the pedals. Perhaps other forum members might know? I guess the only way to check is to try the FC3 on keyboards NOT made by Yamaha or Roland.

Edit: Oh wait, you ARE using not-Yamaha and not-Roland keyboards. If you are buying from your local shop and not mail order perhaps your dealer can assist you in the testing, or else allow you to return the FC3 for a refund if it doesn't work. Or you could just find someone who can reverse the polarity by re-wiring the pedal's 1/4" jack.

I'm thinking of getting a half-damper for use with Pianoteq.  Does anyone know what the FC3's (or other half-dampers') potentiometer resistance values are?

I need to interface with an Ensoniq TS12 keyboard which has a CV volume style input that expects 512 ohms.  Worst-case I need to replace the pot, do the pedals use standard shaped/mounted ones like you get in electronics shops?

(EDIT: actually it expects 10kohms, see below)

Last edited by ReBased (19-07-2009 02:28)

ReBased wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a half-damper for use with Pianoteq.  Does anyone know what the FC3's (or other half-dampers') potentiometer resistance values are?

Actually I just read in another thread that the pedals only turn the pot around 30 degrees, so the important thing is the maximum resistance the pedal outputs, not the rating of the pot itself.  Is anybody able to measure theirs?

Last edited by ReBased (23-03-2009 20:29)

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm looking for a half-damper pedal, too, for my Ensoniq keyboard, and there are some other concerns.

Doesn't your Ensoniq have both a conventional sustain pedal jack and a CV pedal jack? I'm not sure what happens if you map a CV pedal to cc64 for sustain.

In any case, if your Ensoniq is like my Ensoniq KS-32, it needs a "normally open" sustain pedal. The Yamaha sustain pedals are "normally closed."

I hope you'll share any information you find.

Gosh I love Korg and Kurzweil synths, they have a global option of setting the polarity of connected pedals, so they don't discriminate the different makes of pedals! Roland and Yamaha can stick it

Hard work and guts!

Jake Johnson wrote:

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm looking for a half-damper pedal, too, for my Ensoniq keyboard, and there are some other concerns.

Good, we can compare notes.

Doesn't your Ensoniq have both a conventional sustain pedal jack and a CV pedal jack?

Yes, it actually has two convential pedal jacks, but each is stereo, so you can actually run up to 4 pedals + CV volume.

I'm not sure what happens if you map a CV pedal to cc64 for sustain.

Should be fine, it's all just MIDI (0-127 range).  But I can't see a way to assign volume messages to sustain in Pianoteq, I guess that's reserved for actual volume control.

On the TS10/12 you can also remap it as a MOD parameter (not sure yet if that outputs as a MIDI controller).

In any case, if your Ensoniq is like my Ensoniq KS-32, it needs a "normally open" sustain pedal. The Yamaha sustain pedals are "normally closed."

Right, both momentary pedals I have here (a piano and a plastic) are normally open, there's no setting to reverse on the keyboard, nor does it sense polarity when you turn it on.  But I don't mind resoldering it, getting the resistance right is trickier.

EvilDragon wrote:

Gosh I love Korg and Kurzweil synths, they have a global option of setting the polarity of connected pedals, so they don't discriminate the different makes of pedals! Roland and Yamaha can stick it

Add Ensoniq to that list .  They obviously all want you to buy their accessories.

On the TS10/12 you can also remap it as a MOD parameter (not sure yet if that outputs as a MIDI controller).

OK, set as VOL it's Controller 7 (which can be assigned, I was expecting it to be called 'Volume' inside PT), set as MOD it's Controller 4.

EDIT: and as you can set the value range in PT, you should be able to reverse the polarity that way, and you should also be able to compensate if the pedal's max resistance is too low for the keyboard, albeit with some loss of precision (but probably not enough to make any real difference).

So assuming you only want to control PT & the pedal's max resistance <= 512 ohms, the only thing that might require soldering is if the keyboard expects a different wire arrangement on the stereo jack.

Last edited by ReBased (23-03-2009 23:12)

Ah, yes--I switched the polarity on my current, basic pedal and reversed the settings in PianoTeq, and it worked fine, so I guess the Yamaha pedal could be made to work just fine. Though it wouldn't work with other programs that aren't as flexible...

Don't know about the impedance matching and the CV pedal issue.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (24-03-2009 17:01)

ReBased wrote:

Actually I just read in another thread that the pedals only turn the pot around 30 degrees, so the important thing is the maximum resistance the pedal outputs, not the rating of the pot itself.  Is anybody able to measure theirs?

I measured the FC3 as having a 10k pot, and I'm pretty sure it was giving almost full range. Can't check it as I'm away from home right now.

mooks wrote:

I measured the FC3 as having a 10k pot, and I'm pretty sure it was giving almost full range. Can't check it as I'm away from home right now.

My Yamaha KX8 won't accept my FC3 so I cut the jack plug off and soldered it into a MIDI encoder board which has 2 analog CC inputs.  It produced almost the entire midi level range straight away which was certainly not the case with organ-style expression pedals I've used the board with previously.

Rather than changing the pot if the range isn't large enough, you can use MIDI-OX to extrapolate the range.  I can provide details of how to do this if anyone is interested.

Best//Neil

mooks wrote:

Interesting, I think I also misread the TS12 CV jack specs:

"Pedal/CV Specs: 3-conductor (Tip= control voltage input, Ring=510
ohm resistor to +5 Volts, Sleeve= ground). 36 KOhm input impedance, DC coupled. Input
voltage range=0 to 3 volts DC. Scan rate=32mS (maximum recommended modulation input= 15
Hz). For use with an external control voltage, use a 2-conductor cable with the voltage on the tip and the sleeve grounded."

I don't think this tells us what resistance pot is required, but the ESQ1 uses a 10kohm linear pot according to this, so this is probably true of other Ensoniq boards, and compatible with the FC3 if mooks is right.  Can anybody confirm, or measure their Roland DP8 or 10?

Last edited by ReBased (24-03-2009 17:01)

NeilCraig wrote:

My Yamaha KX8 won't accept my FC3 so I cut the jack plug off and soldered it into a MIDI encoder board which has 2 analog CC inputs.

Interesting, what board did you use?

Rather than changing the pot if the range isn't large enough, you can use MIDI-OX to extrapolate the range.  I can provide details of how to do this if anyone is interested.

I've read that Midi-Ox can cause lag when used with eg. Cubase.  Have you experienced that?

Last edited by ReBased (24-03-2009 17:03)

Don't forget about the Pedal Controller box from Midi Solutions:
http://midisolutions.com/prodped.htm
You can often find them on sale at various music stores.  Rock solid.  Has parameters that you set via a simple computer program.  No batteries or soldering required.  (Aside to Webteq:  Wouldn't hurt to link to these products on the F.A.Q. page with the other pedal info - JMHO)

Cellomangler wrote:

Don't forget about the Pedal Controller box from Midi Solutions:

That's a nice solution, but way to expensive.  For example at Thomann it's £100/£110EU/~140USD.

ReBased wrote:

That's a nice solution, but way to expensive.  For example at Thomann it's £100/£110EU/~140USD.

$119.95 at Zzounds.  Not cheap, but what's the alternative ?  Sure -you can build your own if you know basic electronics and can solder.  JTBC, if we are talking about adding continuous damper control to a keyboard controller that lacks that feature, I don't know of a cheaper/better solution.  If you have another MIDI control interface you can hack into it and tap the contacts of one of the knobs or faders and solder them to a quarter inch female phone jack -I've done this successfully with an old J L Cooper Fadermaster.

Cellomangler wrote:

JTBC, if we are talking about adding continuous damper control to a keyboard controller that lacks that feature, I don't know of a cheaper/better solution.

Sure, but I was talking about interfacing to my existing keyboard's CV pedal input.  I'm also intrigued about the MIDI encoder board that was mentioned, that's bound to be cheaper (if you have the skills).

Makes you wonder why somebody doesn't build a good quality pedal with a MIDI interface built in (not counting the Chinese 3 pedal dealie which has been slated everywhere as being unreliable).  Can't be that expensive to do.

Last edited by ReBased (24-03-2009 23:59)

ReBased:

By the way, why do you want to use the cv pedal or the cv input? Why not just attach a normal continuous sustain pedal to the Ensoniq's sustain pedal jack? Pursuing the lusty thrill of experimentation with a solder iron?

Jake Johnson wrote:

Why not just attach a normal continuous sustain pedal to the Ensoniq's sustain pedal jack?

I imagine that the sustain pedal jack is not a continuous controller but rather a momentary switch.
So ReBased, you are looking for a new/used CVP-1 or a way to build a facsimile, verdad ?  You might try a Yahoo group or a dedicated website -I've seen one of each for the TS12.  Those folks are usually glad to help and surely someone would have a CVP-1 pedal they could spec out.

Jake Johnson wrote:

By the way, why do you want to use the cv pedal or the cv input? Why not just attach a normal continuous sustain pedal to the Ensoniq's sustain pedal jack? Pursuing the lusty thrill of experimentation with a solder iron?

Because it only has switched inputs for sustain (it calls them 'footswitch' inputs), so the CV input is my only (cheap) half-damper option.

They're pretty old keyboards (Ensoniq went out of business a while ago) but the TS12 I have does have nice weighted keys.

Last edited by ReBased (25-03-2009 11:05)

Cellomangler wrote:

So ReBased, you are looking for a new/used CVP-1 or a way to build a facsimile, verdad ?

No, I want to interface a half-damper pedal to the CV port (with mods if needed).

I was thinking that the name "foot switch" on the keyboard jack was just a name that corresponded with the name of the old pedals that were only switches: the switch is in the pedal, not the jack. (Otherwise, I'm more in the same boat than I realized.)

Anyone know--do older keyboards register and correctly use a continuous velocity pedal? Or could someone test one on an older keyboard?

Jake Johnson wrote:

I was thinking that the name "foot switch" on the keyboard jack was just a name that corresponded with the name of the old pedals that were only switches: the switch is in the pedal, not the jack. (Otherwise, I'm more in the same boat than I realized.)

The switch or pot is in the pedal, but the circuitry to sense the variable resistance from a potentiometer is in the keyboard.  I'm pretty sure your switch inputs are only switch-compatible.

Yikes. Does that mean that all older keyboards are unable to use a half damper pedal? Seems as though that would be information that we'd have run across often in various forums and in ads for the pedals.

We need someone to test this, just in case. Anyone here have an Ensoniq keyboard that he or she could hook up to their half-damper pedal?

Jake Johnson wrote:

Yikes. Does that mean that all older keyboards are unable to use a half damper pedal? Seems as though that would be information that we'd have run across often in various forums and in ads for the pedals.

I don't know when half-damper pedals were introduced, but they're really just repackaged 'expression' pedals, and those were the two pedal types traditionally supported on different jacks (switch & expression).

My TS12 allows you to assign the normal footswitches to different functions, but they're all switch types (sequencer start/stop, preset up down etc).  Hence the CV pedal input for continuous volume/mod control.

ReBased wrote:
Cellomangler wrote:

So ReBased, you are looking for a new/used CVP-1 or a way to build a facsimile, verdad ?

No, I want to interface a half-damper pedal to the CV port (with mods if needed).

That's kind of what I meant.  If you could find a used CVP-1 you could then easily retrofit a continuous damper style pedal to the simple wiring of the pedal.  You want the physical nature -the piano styling- of the continuous (or half) damper and not the expression pedal styling of a gas pedal without spring-back -sorry to be putting words in your mouth, but I'm trying to understand.  Albeit a bit cryptic, there's a technical description of the CVP-1 on page 20 this DP4 manual:
http://www.stanford.edu/~dattorro/DP4_manual.pdf
"We now return control to you..."

Jake Johnson wrote:

Apparently some of them will work as switched pedals on keyboards that don't support variable resistance.

Cellomangler wrote:

You want the physical nature -the piano styling- of the continuous (or half) damper and not the expression pedal styling of a gas pedal without spring-back

That's it.

Cellomangler wrote:

Albeit a bit cryptic, there's a technical description of the CVP-1 on page 20 this DP4 manual:

Thanks, but the link unfortunately again doesn't say what resistance the pot needs to be.

I've now bought an FC3 from abroad, but due to a shipping mixup it will take 4+ weeks to arrive!  But when I get it I'll post back with results.

Last edited by ReBased (02-04-2009 20:13)

Apologies for possibly hijacking the thread, but this page is the best I found when searching for information on connecting a half-damper pedal (continuous, variable, spring-loaded) to the expression input of a keyboard.

What happens when one connects a half-damping pedal to the expression input on a keyboard?  Doesn't that just work, perhaps with a bit of rewiring? 

Can this MIDI data then be used for the sustain pedal parameter in Pianoteq?

I must be missing something, but I'd like to know before I buy any kind of pedal.  I have a pretty basic master keyboard (Studiologic sl-880) with a continuous 'Volume' pedal input, which I'd like to use with a continuous damping pedal in Pianoteq.  It must be possible!

Thanks for any pointers (including to other threads/sites!)

doobya wrote:

Doesn't that just work, perhaps with a bit of rewiring?

It depends on whether the polarity & the maximum resistance of the pedal matches what your keyboard expects.  If not, you can invert the polarity and/or adjust the range inside Pianoteq.  Another option is to modify the incoming values using a utility call MIDI-OX.

Of course the Jack wiring will have to match too, I'm not sure if they are the same as expression pedals as I haven't got my half-damper yet (but I wouldn't be surprised if they are).

Can this MIDI data then be used for the sustain pedal parameter in Pianoteq?

Yes, you can set PT to use pretty much any MIDI controller for sustain (including volume).

Last edited by ReBased (07-04-2009 13:09)

ReBased wrote:

Of course the Jack wiring will have to match too, I'm not sure if they are the same as expression pedals as I haven't got my half-damper yet (but I wouldn't be surprised if they are).

That all sounds good!  Having to replace a pot with one of different capacity falls under the rewiring job in my book, so if that's all it takes, I'll do it.

Would be nice to hear from people who do have a half-damper pedal and have tried this experiment.  I'm surprised there seems to be so little info out there on this simple(?) trick...

Yes, you can set PT to use pretty much any MIDI controller for sustain (including volume).

Great!  Sounds like all I need is to get a half-damper to be 'read' via the expression input, perhaps with some range remapping e.g. via Midi OX, and I should be good to go.

Can anyone confirm this works?

Thanks!

OK, I finally got my Yamaha FC3 and the good news is that it works perfectly with my Ensoniq TS-12 expression pedal input!

The bad news is that the range is reversed, but this can be corrected in PT by reversing the sustain controller range (1.0 - 0.0), or more universally by resoldering the pot (something I may do).  Holding it depressed during keyboard switch-on didn't work (Ensoniq clearly wanted you to buy their pedals).

So, the jack wiring is expression-pedal compatible (at least for Ensoniq keyboards, though it's probably universal and only the pot resistance values & polarity change between pedals).

The pedal outputs 10kOhms across the tip and center ring (open:~0.8, closed: ~10.6) & maps to full 0-127 range.

The only downside is that I now have to learn to half-pedal .

Last edited by ReBased (05-05-2009 12:29)

ReBased wrote:

OK, I finally got my Yamaha FC3 and the good news is that it works perfectly with my Ensoniq TS-12 expression pedal input!

The bad news is that the range is reversed

Ah, wait a minute!

Sometimes people say that expression-type pedals can be polarity reversed by rewiring the jack - and that's usually countered with 'it won't work, but resoldering the pot will' (and that seems logical if you know some electronics).

But it turns out rewiring the jack would work on the FC3!  The resistance is reversed across the center and outer contacts:

ring->tip: 0-10k
ring->sleeve: 10k-0

(Jack connections)

Sweet.

Edit: So it looks like an expression/half-damper pedal is just the 3 terminals of a pot wired directly to the stereo jack.  It would be easy enough to DIY a polarity switch that just flips tip and sleeve.

Last edited by ReBased (05-05-2009 12:31)

So, has anybody else tried this yet (half-damper pedal into an expression jack)?  Worked great for me (see above).

Yup, I have a Roland DP-8 plugged into the expression jack on my CME UF8. Didn't have to mess with polarity, though I did have to tell PT to respond to CC#11.

The sustain jack on this keyboard does not support continuous pedals unfortunately, and programming the keyboard to send CC#64 breaks it... I use Linux, so I'll probably end up writing a little tool to convert it to CC#64 in software, so that non-reprogrammable soft synths can use it too.

One thing I noticed is that the graphic of the sustain pedal seems to have a limit to the speed it moves. I have no idea if this affects the internal operation though.

petern wrote:

One thing I noticed is that the graphic of the sustain pedal seems to have a limit to the speed it moves. I have no idea if this affects the internal operation though.

I don't think so, the graphics in music software is usually low priority (ie. rendered at low framerates) so that more CPU is left for the audio.  Also the pedal graphics most likely only have a few fixed positions they can draw, so again the visual representation isn't that accurate, but it won't affect the audio.

Last edited by ReBased (19-07-2009 23:01)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Anyone know--do older keyboards register and correctly use a continuous velocity pedal? Or could someone test one on an older keyboard?

OK, ok, so just a few years late on this.
I only just came across this thread, but can offer a tidbit for posterity.
The Yamaha KX88 (about as "older" as anything) has two foot SWITCH and two foot CONTROLLER inputs.
The sockets are all phono jacks, but the controller ones are designated "FC" for foot controller.
The switch ones are designated "FS" for foot switch.
The same designation is used in the product names of the pedals themselves.
Manual not handy, but as I recall all are assignable - as are the sliders, mod wheel, etc.

FWIW, etc.