Topic: More Infos on physical modelling especially Pianoteq

Hi!

i am currently writing on my dissertation about the simulation of acoustic pianos. naturally i have to write about pianoteq. Can someone tell me where i can get some background information on how pianoteq works?

Thanks,
Matthias

Re: More Infos on physical modelling especially Pianoteq

I found one article that mentions Pianoteq and discusses modelling techniques.  I do not know if Pianoteq uses the techniques discussed in the article or some other approach.  The article is:

Rauhala, J.   Lehtonen, H.-M.   Valimaki, V.   
Helsinki Univ. of Technol., Espoo
This paper appears in: Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE
Publication Date: March 2007
Volume: 24 , Issue: 2
On page(s): 12 - 20
Number of Pages: 12 - 20
ISSN: 1053-5888
INSPEC Accession Number:9340305
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/MSP.2007.323260
Date Published in Issue: 2007-03-05 09:05:36.0

Abstract
In this article, alternative approaches to digital keyboard instrument synthesis are looked into. Physics-based sound synthesis, which aims at generating natural-sounding musical instrument tones algorithmically without using a large sample database, is a promising approach. It would provide high-quality music synthesis to systems that cannot afford a large memory, such as mobile phones and portable electronic games. The realistic parametric synthesis of musical instrument sounds is still a challenge, but physical modeling techniques introduced during the last few decades can help to solve it. Recently, the first commercial products have been introduced, for example, by Pianoteq. Three keyboard instruments, the clavichord, the harpsichord, and the grand piano, are focused on here. The sound production principles and acoustics of these instruments are first discussed. Then, the previous parametric synthesis algorithms developed for these instruments are reviewed. The remaining part of this article concentrates on new signal processing methods for parametric synthesis of the piano

There is also online some preliminary work that Philippe Guillaume did using soundfonts in the past. This is how I became aware of the piano modelling possibilities to come.

I still use soundfonts occasionally for other instruments than the piano, even though there are memory limits to the sampling size and also that you need a Creative compatible soundcard (which I have).

Here is the site : http://www-gmm.insa-toulouse.fr/~guilla...icing.html

I even managed at the time to extract, by subtracting two wav file examples given on the site, the "harp effect" and add it with some slight tuning to the upper register of another piano soundfont using the Vienna soundfont editor.

Results were not comparable to pianoteq of course but interesting...

I guess the basis for physical piano modelling, other than knowledge of the actual instrument, is a strong background in mathematical signal processing along with familiarity with Matlab or other modelling tool.

I hope the author won't mind if I mention this site...

No problem Gilles, that was the beginning of the story!

Thanks a lot for the provided information. I will have a good look at them.
By the way - is there a physical modelling based competitor for Pianoteq at the moment?

Thanks for the help,
Matthias

matthias wrote:

By the way - is there a physical modelling based competitor for Pianoteq at the moment?
Matthias

There are the pianos and the RP-X piano extender module made by GEM. ( www.generalmusic.com) They claim to use physical modelling and patented algorithms. (DRAKE)
It should be possible to get the patent documentation.
(there is a short description in the appendix of the RP-X manual)

brgds,

Peter

peter wrote:
matthias wrote:

Matthias

There are the pianos and the RP-X piano extender module made by GEM. ( www.generalmusic.com) They claim to use physical modelling and patented algorithms. (DRAKE)
It should be possible to get the patent documentation.
(there is a short description in the appendix of the RP-X manual)

brgds,

Peter

Thanks very much...