Topic: Transitioning from Pianoteq to an Acoustic Grand

For the last 3 years, I've used Pianoteq almost exclusively. I have learned to play on this instrument, without any access to an acoustic piano (I lived in a remote location). However, I recently moved, and have been able to access several grand pianos at a local university. I have a few observations about this transition to an acoustic instrument that I would like to discuss. Perhaps more experienced players/teachers can share their insight?

First, I must state that I am entirely self-taught (can't afford lessons) and have been playing for three years (2-3 hours a day). I mainly focus on Bach, with occasional excursions into Mozart, Beethoven, Couperin, Shostakovich, and Scarlatti. I have a Kawai ES7 which I use with Pianoteq, mainly utilizing the Blüthner Model One preset (which sounds softer than the D4 on my tinnitus-afflicted ears).

The grands I have been able to play over the last few weeks include a Steinway, Howard, Kawai, Yamaha, and Maeari.

My first observation: I was shocked to hear how bass-heavy my playing suddenly became. On all of the pianos, my left hand suddenly overpowered the right—especially in Mozart sonatas where an Alberti bass accompanies the melody. With Pianoteq, things sound balanced, and I seem to bring out the melodic line decently. However, on all of the grand pianos, I struggled greatly to subdue the left hand. This was true for contrapuntal music as well, such as Bach's two-part inventions.

So, is this inequality between the left and right hands due to my keyboard, or to Pianoteq? Keep in mind that my left hand became overpowering on all of the pianos, but on some more than others (especially the Steinway).

My second observation is that real pianos are just a lot harder to play and sound good on, period. This is probably well understood, so I don't think it requires further elaboration. On my Kawai ES7 with Pianoteq, trills are manageable; on the real pianos (even the really nice Steinway), the keys were much harder to press down; not to mention that certain natural unevenness of the keys of a piano that's 60+ years old, compared to the mass-produced evenness of a digital. 

This left me quite disillusioned in terms of the progress I thought I had made. If this is just the fault of the keyboard (again, a Kawai ES7, which I thought was decent), are there some controllers that are "harder" to play on, and which would provide better preparation for the transition to a grand? How does the VPC-1, for example, compare in this regard?

Thank you for your feedback. (Responses in français, español, or по-русски are welcome.)

Matthew

Re: Transitioning from Pianoteq to an Acoustic Grand

Hi Matthew
I think you'll have to invest the best hardware that you could afford. One that has the best keyboard action that is comparable to a real grand. If you're lucky to have continual access to a real piano, that's even better.

Hi,

the ES-7 actually does have a quite decent piano action (the RH II). However, almost all digital pianos' actions suffer from a tendency to be on the 'light' side, i.e., an acoustic instrument will usually have a heavier action. I am more or less in your situation, and precisely for the reason of trying not to become too comfortable with a (even high-level) electronic piano action, I will start renting one of the studios at my local dealer's on an hourly basis. There I can play a Yamaha or even a C. Bechstein grand.

However, in 'real' instruments there are significant differences as well. A grand action is in general much better balanced and 'light' than e.g. an upright action. Different makes can differ significantly, and the maintenance state of the instrument matters a lot. Especially instruments at schools and universities often are not in the best of states, which might have increased the 'cultural shock' in your case. A good electronic piano action actually can be quite close to a grand action, albeit a perfectly-maintained or factory-new one.

Concerning the bass behaviour: a grand is quite powerful in the bass; in fact this is (historically speaking) one of the areas where modern grands differ the most from older instruments and from uprights. This is very evident even in Pianoteq: the U4 (upright) has a rather 'tinny' and inharmonic bass, the K2 (small-ish parlour grand) a bit more powerful, the D4 has a lot more powerful and harmonic bass and the Blüthner even more so. However, it depends greatly on your speakers how much of this is converted into actual sound. I employ rather large 8-inch studio monitors with 70W bass amplifiers, and those perform rather well. Actually, if I don't weaken the bass by a few decibels with the equalizer, the bass can drown the treble register quite easily.

All that said, I would recommend two things: (1) keep playing on those grands, at least occasionally. Also regularly switch between instruments in Pianoteq, and/or change equalizer settings. In other words: don't allow yourself to become too dependent on one particular instrument's characteristics. (2) find a teacher. Seriously. I had been self-taught for a year and then started working with a student of the local university. She is quite a brilliant young pianist and very nice, while mercilessly pointing out my mistakes at the same time. And it's really important to get 'external' feedback and advice.

About your controller: other keyboards than the ES-7's are a bit better, but those improvements are rather subtle. (The RH II really is by no means a bad piano action.) For example, controlled pianissimo play gets a bit easier with either the RM3 Grand or the Grand Feel action of the same manufacturer, and playing close to the instrument's casing (i.e., near the 'back' of the keys) is again a bit easier with the GF than with both RH II or RM3 (due to a longer pivot distance). However, that's not really your problem currently.

Last edited by kalessin (08-07-2014 10:25)
Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

kalessin wrote:

However, almost all digital pianos' actions suffer from a tendency to be on the 'light' side, i.e., an acoustic instrument will usually have a heavier action.

Hmm... not from my experience. Almost ALL digital piano actions I've tried felt way too heavy and sluggish compared to a decent piano action. Those without escapement make key repetitions almost impossible to play, since you can't trigger a new note until the key is almost fully returned, which is not the case on a piano, of course.

For example, I'm sorta used to the Fatar action on my Kurzweil PC3K8. But when I go back home to play on my upright, the keys feel like feathers in comparison and I fly on them like I could never do on the Kurzweil... Most other pianos I've tried in my life were similar - not hard to play on at all (at least when pressure needed to depress a key is concerned). The only thing I needed then to take into account is, since the action is lighter to play, controlling the velocity is also harder. Since my Kurzweil only has fixed velocity curves, and none of them are particularly happy solutions for my style of playing, I got used to compensating with more force to achieve those fffs. On an acoustic piano, I don't even have to bother half as much to achieve the same fff...

Last edited by EvilDragon (08-07-2014 09:40)
Hard work and guts!

Okay, I stand corrected. But I did not mean to say it's like that in all cases, just that when you consider the 'mean' values, the electronic pianos tend to be a bit lighter. And of course that's just my own biased experience, too. Although I did mention that it's also a function of maintenance. When I took some trial lessons with a local teacher, her well-maintained Yamaha grand e.g. did feel almost exactly like the MP6 I had at the time.

Pianoteq 6 Standard (Steinway D&B, Grotrian, Petrof, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Blüthner, K2, YC5, U4, Kremsegg 1&2, Karsten, Electric, Hohner)

matthew wrote:

My second observation is that real pianos are just a lot harder to play and sound good on, period. This is probably well understood, so I don't think it requires further elaboration. On my Kawai ES7 with Pianoteq, trills are manageable; on the real pianos (even the really nice Steinway), the keys were much harder to press down; not to mention that certain natural unevenness of the keys of a piano that's 60+ years old, compared to the mass-produced evenness of a digital. 

This left me quite disillusioned in terms of the progress I thought I had made. If this is just the fault of the keyboard (again, a Kawai ES7, which I thought was decent), are there some controllers that are "harder" to play on, and which would provide better preparation for the transition to a grand? How does the VPC-1, for example, compare in this regard?

Thank you for your feedback. (Responses in français, español, or по-русски are welcome.)

Matthew

Hi, Matthew, you write, that one can answer in russian, that is why, I hope, you'll understand me. If not, I can translate for you in english.

Добрый день, Мэтью! Я бы очень советовал Вам найти возможность и позаниматься с учителем, хотя бы пару месяцев или пол года. Попробую объяснить: проблема с трелями и извлечением приемлемого звука заключается не столько в клавиатуре, сколько, к сожалению, в Вашей руке.

Я учитель музыки и часто занимаюсь со взрослыми, которые хотят научиться играть на фортепиано. Первые пол года мы посвящаем постановке руки, и от этого никуда не деться. Все различие между реальным механизмом фортепиано и электронным в том, что для приведения реального механизма в действие необходим правильно распределенный вес руки, тогда как на цифровом рояле само нажатие (не важно как произведенное - с весом или без него) создает звук. Этот навык приобретается в самом начале обучения и ученик с поставленной рукой может уже спокойно играть и на цифровом и на акустическом инструменте.
Поэтому мой горячий совет Вам: найти педагога (желательно учителя из музыкальной школы) и попросить его поставить Вам руки.
Если Ваш механизм на Kawai ES7 слишком легкий, обзаведитесь клавиатурой потяжелее. Либо приобретите Пианино (upright). Некоторые здесь Вам посоветуют не играть на пианино, не слушайте. Пианино с тяжелым или средним механизмом - лучшее средство для постановки руки.

С наилучшими пожеланиями из России, учитель фортепиано, Kridlatec.

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Kridlatec wrote:
matthew wrote:

Matthew

Hi, Matthew, you write, that one can answer in russian, that is why, I hope, you'll understand me. If not, I can translate for you in english.

Добрый день, Мэтью! Я бы очень советовал Вам найти возможность и позаниматься с учителем, хотя бы пару месяцев или пол года. Попробую объяснить: проблема с трелями и извлечением приемлемого звука заключается не столько в клавиатуре, сколько, к сожалению, в Вашей руке.

Я учитель музыки и часто занимаюсь со взрослыми, которые хотят научиться играть на фортепиано. Первые пол года мы посвящаем постановке руки, и от этого никуда не деться. Все различие между реальным механизмом фортепиано и электронным в том, что для приведения реального механизма в действие необходим правильно распределенный вес руки, тогда как на цифровом рояле само нажатие (не важно как произведенное - с весом или без него) создает звук. Этот навык приобретается в самом начале обучения и ученик с поставленной рукой может уже спокойно играть и на цифровом и на акустическом инструменте.
Поэтому мой горячий совет Вам: найти педагога (желательно учителя из музыкальной школы) и попросить его поставить Вам руки.
Если Ваш механизм на Kawai ES7 слишком легкий, обзаведитесь клавиатурой потяжелее. Либо приобретите Пианино (upright). Некоторые здесь Вам посоветуют не играть на пианино, не слушайте. Пианино с тяжелым или средним механизмом - лучшее средство для постановки руки.

С наилучшими пожеланиями из России, учитель фортепиано, Kridlatec.

Google Translation:
Good afternoon, Matthew! I would strongly advise you to find a way to work out a teacher, at least a couple of months or half a year. Let me explain: The problem with trills and removing acceptable sound is not so much the keyboard much, unfortunately, in your hand.

I am a teacher of music and often practice with adults who want to learn to play the piano. The first half of the year we dedicate formulation hands, and this can not escape. All the difference between a real piano and electronic mechanism that the real mechanism to bring into effect the proper distribution of weight needed hand, while on the digital piano itself pressing (no matter how produced - with or without weights) creates sound. This skill is acquired at the beginning of training and hand delivered to the student can already play safely on a digital and an acoustic instrument.
So my advice to you is hot: a teacher (preferably a teacher of music school) and ask him to put your hands.
If your gear on Kawai ES7 too easy obzavedites keyboard harder. Or purchase Piano (upright). Some here will advise you not to play the piano, do not listen. Piano with severe or moderate mechanism - the best tool for making hands.

Is the real pianos bass just too Strong, or is also the speakers you used with pianoteq not adequate to the bass range?
I't's something to thing about.

Digital pianos are a lot easier for pedal use than real pianos.

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-07-2014 15:03)

Thank you for the helpful responses!

Здравствуйте Kridlatec, и спасибо за ваш ответ!

Да, я очень хорошо понимаю по-русски. Я жил в Москве в течение двух лет, когда я был студентом. Но так как вы говорите по-английски, я буду писать на этом языке, чтобы избежать перевода Google!

I am interested by this comment, especially:

"The main difference between the mechanism of a real piano and a digital is that, in order to bring the real mechanism into effect, the proper distribution of weight in the hand is necessary, while on the digital piano just the act of pressing itself (no matter how accomplished - with or without weight) creates sound."

(My slightly improved translation )

My impression was that, even on a real piano, all sound production is solely dependent on only the force with which the key is struck, no matter how it's struck. I recall that well-known quote in Geoffrey Payzant's book about Glenn Gould—something along the lines of whether Rubinstein presses the key with the tip of his finger or the tip of his umbrella, if struck with the same velocity, the sound produced will always be the same (forgive the quote from memory).

In any case, as Kalessin and Kridlatec have both suggested, I do need a teacher very badly. However, this is unfortunately a financial impossibility at present. Piano teachers in the US, especially good ones, charge very high rates, which excludes nearly everyone working subsistence-level jobs and making just enough to get by on a monthly basis. Even grad students in piano charge around $40/hour—not to mention the $100-125/hour charged by professors.

Regarding the speakers... I do not use any with Pianoteq. I practice almost exclusively with Sony MDR-7506 headphones, and occasionally with the built-in speakers in my keyboard, using the Kawai sounds. The bass does seem slightly weak in my headphones—perhaps that is part of the problem?

Thanks again for your kind responses.

Best,
Matthew

matthew wrote:

"The main difference between the mechanism of a real piano and a digital is that, in order to bring the real mechanism into effect, the proper distribution of weight in the hand is necessary, while on the digital piano just the act of pressing itself (no matter how accomplished - with or without weight) creates sound."

My impression was that, even on a real piano, all sound production is solely dependent on only the force with which the key is struck, no matter how it's struck. I recall that well-known quote in Geoffrey Payzant's book about Glenn Gould—something along the lines of whether Rubinstein presses the key with the tip of his finger or the tip of his umbrella, if struck with the same velocity, the sound produced will always be the same (forgive the quote from memory).

You are completely right, of course. This discussion always starts anew every now and then, and I seem to remember reading a similar comment with regard to digital pianos not too long ago. The topic at that time was that a digital piano supposedly could not reproduce differences in sound caused by the player's 'touch', which is essentially the same argument. If you take a look at the mechanism that strikes the string, that's simply impossible, however. Not just improbable, but "anything else would break the laws of physics"-impossible, I'm sorry.

The escapement mechanism ensures that the hammer is swinging freely in the moment it strikes the string. The only parameter left that can change the sound that is produced is the hammer's velocity. And before it escapes, it is connected to the key, i.e., the hammer's velocity is determined solely by the velocity of the key. Until the damper comes down, that's all there is to it. Even an acoustic piano is a machine. A beautifully complicated one, but still.

Last edited by kalessin (09-07-2014 10:29)

It's hard to have soul-shaking bass from headphones.

But before you go off the deep-end with expensive speakers, I'd give it a try w/ cheap 2.1 computer speakers first and see if the addition of a subwoofer makes a difference.

Sure, Sony 7506 are not "bass-heavy" at all. 7509 performs better in this range (maybe too much!)

Hi Matthew,

I would consider a well-developed left hand an asset rather than a liability. Much easier to balance it, than to have to bring it up. You just have to get used to playing grands, but the same would apply if you came from an upright.

Also, my advice would be to 'relish' the sound of the bass. After all, this is what makes a grand piano a grand piano. You would not build 500 kg, 3 meter long instruments just to have great treble. Mozart, had he had one, would have written considerably fewer Albertine basses, I bet. They are really much more suited to a fortepiano. On a decent grand all you can do is go Debussy on them.

I very much subscribe to your conclusion that digital pianos, PT included, are far more forgivinh, and less of a challenge to play, in fact a different instrument from acoustic grands. However, you will just have to adapt what you have learned so far to the world of real pianos. If you are playing Shostakovich after three years, that probably will not take you too long.

Hello Matthew,

Before despondency sets in for you, I have had a similar experience going from my upright Kemble acoustic piano to a 5 foot Bosendorfer mini grand. The Kemble has a feather like touch as Evil Dragon has observed, and the grand has a firmer, less sensitive touch and a wider dynamic range that is highly disconcerting. I've had to re-adjust my touch and the transformation is taking time. I've been researching the touch of a number of digital piano's and the only one I've found that resembles a full grand piano (a C3X Yamaha for comparison in my case) is the hybrid Yamaha Avant Grand N2. The trouble is its so expensive you might as well spend a bit extra on a silent acoustic. I've tried a range of Kawai's including the CA95, CS10 and MP11, the Roland LX15e and the Yamaha CLP 585. They all have a compromised feel one way of another as least in my opinion. The fact is that touch varies from acoustic upright to acoustic upright and from grand to grand. The best most of us can hope for is have regular access to a good acoustic grand in order to complement our digital practice.

Paul H

paulhuk wrote:

The fact is that touch varies from acoustic upright to acoustic upright and from grand to grand. The best most of us can hope for is have regular access to a good acoustic grand in order to complement our digital practice.

Not to mention the huge differences between uprights and grands, due to quite different actions. A grand action with double escapement (as is the standard today) feels and acts quite different from an upright action, especially when repetition behaviour is concerned (e.g. when playing very fast trills). To make a long story short: every piano is different, and differences between individual instruments can IMHO actually be greater than the mean differences between acoustic and high-quality electronic instruments nowadays.

It is quite interesting however, that you mention a Kemble upright actually having a significantly lighter touch than a Bösendorfer grand, albeit a baby grand. I would almost be tempted to suggest having that Bösendorfer's action calibrated.

Last edited by kalessin (09-07-2014 17:57)

Not to mention tuned!!! I recently played on this for an elderly retired piano teacher who is recommending me to a younger colleague. My father owns a Hupheld baby grand about 36 years old which has a really heavy touch. This thing is difficult to play softly without dropping notes. But I do agree grand actions are very different from uprights. All this makes generalisations about touch somewhat problematic and unreliable.

Paul H

Last edited by paulhuk (09-07-2014 23:48)

matthew wrote:

Thank you for the helpful responses!

Здравствуйте Kridlatec, и спасибо за ваш ответ!

Да, я очень хорошо понимаю по-русски. Я жил в Москве в течение двух лет, когда я был студентом. Но так как вы говорите по-английски, я буду писать на этом языке, чтобы избежать перевода Google!

Рад слышать, Вы действительно хорошо пишете по-русски. Да, действительно переводу от Google есть куда стремиться

matthew wrote:

I am interested by this comment, especially:

But than - why do you have problems while transitioning from digital instrument to acoustic? Haven't seen your playing, but I believe, this is not the problem of key's hardness: for pianist, who has built his arms (don't know how to say it in english - "постановка руки") there is no matter what keys to play - hard, light, moderate, digital, synth (with button-like keys), grand or upright. No matter, if your arms are "well-educated". Problems begin, when you pay little attention to the touch, and the right motion of an arm, and the weighted footing of the fingers (especially when playing digital keyboards with light or bad mechanics). And unfortunately, it's hard to build all this without teacher.

matthew wrote:

In any case, as Kalessin and Kridlatec have both suggested, I do need a teacher very badly. However, this is unfortunately a financial impossibility at present. Piano teachers in the US, especially good ones, charge very high rates, which excludes nearly everyone working subsistence-level jobs and making just enough to get by on a monthly basis. Even grad students in piano charge around $40/hour—not to mention the $100-125/hour charged by professors.

The prices are really high... In the city, where I live and work (it is big enough - 1,5 mln of population), teachers take 10-30$ (in Moscow prices are higher). And I know some old teachers from music schools, who take 5$/hour, though it is very scanty May be, you can find some educational videos on youtube.

It would be good, if you record on video how you play Grand piano (hands - from shoulder to fingers). Cause it's hard to advise without watching.

Last edited by Kridlatec (10-07-2014 10:00)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

. . . and a good one to watch is Valentina Lisitsa -

Lanny

I've been following this thread and want to just give a couple of thoughts:

1. The Sony headphones you are using are excellent, BUT most other sound systems and headphones have more bass to them. So, I recommend you use the EQ tool in PianoTeq to boost the low frequencies.

2. Every piano is different. People forget this when they debate digital vs. acoustic. Seriously, there are no two pianos alike. So... my advice is to practice on the best setup you can, and supplement by taking every possible opportunity to play other pianos. Sounds like you are doing this, and you must continue to do it! Whenever you play, use your ear and work hard to try to get the sound you would like out of the instrument! Adjust ALL THE TIME.

3. Since you have noticed a particular thing that seems to be an issue on every piano, then yes, make the adjustment I mentioned to PianoTeq. Beef up the bass, and then you can practice lightening up on the left hand. It's an issue for every pianist that has to be conquered at some point.

Rachel Jimenez
Classical pianist and teacher
http://fundamentalkeys.com

Thank you everyone for these helpful responses!

I was hoping that my somewhat unique situation—playing for three years on digitals before ever really touching a real piano—would provide some insight in terms of the real implications of learning to play using Pianoteq and midi controllers (or digital pianos in general).

I do feel that, as has been mentioned, the disadvantages are fewer for those who learn on an acoustic instrument and then go digital, than vise-versa. In that former case, it seems that touch, hand position, weight, etc, would already be well established, and consequently adaptable to various actions, including those of digital pianos, as Kridlatec has explained. Before this experience, I was a keen advocate of the controller/Pianoteq combo for beginners; now, however, I would be much more reluctant to recommend them as a starting point for new pianists.

Since moving, I have continued to play on the acoustic grands, making the 2-hour roundtrip commute after work to the university in order to play for a few hours. It's summer, all the practice rooms are empty, and I get to take my pick and the pianos and play my fill.

What I've realized is that it has become harder and harder for me to practice on the digital with Pianoteq. The other day I attempted to do my daily practice routine at home, but after this exposure to the real thing, I got frustrated at the thin, seemingly lifeless sounds coming from my headphones, and then even more frustrated by the weak inboard sounds coming from Kawai ES-7. So I hopped on the bus and headed back to the practice rooms.

Now, while using Pianoteq, I deliberately compensate, unconcerned with how I sound in my headphones (lacking bass, since I'm trying to subdue it), and solely concerned with how my playing will translate to the real grands. I will certainly try to adjust the EQ, as many users have mentioned. However, I already use a the default 'soft' EQ setting, which increases the bass somewhat and is easier on my ears (brighter settings aggravate my tinnitus).

Best regards to all, and happy playing!

Matthew

[Edit: I attempted to flip the videos and the sound became unsynchronized with the visual. I will have to reattempt this Youtube thing when I am a more experienced video-maker ]

Last edited by matthew (12-07-2014 17:57)

Hello Matthew,

Unless your keyboard is a special left-handed type, the video is left-right reversed...

I noticed that too.

But I liked his performance.

Gaston wrote:

Hello Matthew,

Unless your keyboard is a special left-handed type, the video is left-right reversed...

Beto-Music wrote:

I noticed that too.

But I liked his performance.

Me too, it's a pity that Matthew felt obliged to delete the video...