Topic: Uploaded an upright fxp attempt...

GarysUpright.fxp - C'mon... tell me what you don't like about it, so I won't use it for a recording until it's tweaked to nirvana....

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Re: Uploaded an upright fxp attempt...

It seems good to me, but why is piano size set to the maximum? This should reduce inharmonicity, but upright pianos, because of short strings, often have a lot of inharmonicity. Also, have you tried to increase global resonance as Guillaume suggested, to emulate an upright?

Anyway, one of the most promising fxps I have downloaded so far

...but I think that maybe recurring mainly to clever reverberation settings to achieve that undamped, upright sound full of resonance is not the best choice. In this way one is forced to stick with your reverberation settings.

Another thing that came onto my mind: on most upright pianos the soft pedal only reduces the loudness without softening the sound, by just moving the hammers nearer to the strings.

s12a wrote:

...on most upright pianos the soft pedal only reduces the loudness without softening the sound, by just moving the hammers nearer to the strings.

So -this must have been addressed before- Pianoteq does do true una corda ?  If so, this feature is not promoted in the features section of the website.  I tend to disagree though. From the viewpoint of my little acoustic upright, it sure seems that the softpedal does both.  The hammers are moved closer to the strings so there is less travel and time for them to gather speed.  The sound is definitely softer, and less loud.  I would think with a grand -and it's been awhile since I've sat behind one- that una corda would also produce a "thinner" sound.  I'm sure you're right about the reverb.  I wasn't using headphones -I was really selfishly designing it for the speakers -including subwoofer- and the room I was in.  I'd consider miking my speaker cabinets or using a pair of overheads for recording.  You do get a bit more wood and cantankerousness...

I'm not sure if it does a true "una corda" but it should, since multiple strings are included in the physics model (I've also read that unlike real grand pianos, the built-in Pianoteq grands M1, C1 and C2 have two strings even for bass notes).

Yes, I actually meant that generally in an upright piano the soft pedal does soften then sound (as in "decreases loudness") but doesn't make it any thinner like a true "una corda" pedal because it brings only the hammers closer to the strings and doesn't move them sideways.

Anyway, I think presets should be first optimized for headphones first. With speakers the settings may be greatly affected by room acoustics and sound system setup.

s12a wrote:

...I think presets should be first optimized for headphones first. With speakers the settings may be greatly affected by room acoustics and sound system setup.

I can't argue with that.  My good phones are buried in the back of a storage unit until I'm fully moved...  (drag)  But, that said, I think I got lucky, because I did do a small recording (using Pianoteq's sequencer and output) and brought it to a different space and played it on some smaller speakers and I still liked the sound.  You really need to hear an fxp creation through a few systems to really find out if it's a keeper.  It's all subjective, like, I really dig Tord Gustavsen but some of my friends think he's boring.... Thanks for the feedback and... if you tweak if further to your liking, upload it.

Could you try this attempt of mine to recreate the sound of an upright piano?
I tried not to fiddle with the equalizer and the reverberation settings (same as Erard, just with the lid closed).
[deleted]

By the way, after some testing I can say that Pianoteq does a true "una corda". Using the soft pedal with the Erard in the bass keys only changes loudness, while on upper keys the timbre too, since the real Erard, as every real grand piano, has only one string for each key in the bass registers.

Last edited by s12a (18-07-2008 20:41)

s12a wrote:

Could you try this attempt of mine to recreate the sound of an upright piano? Upright_s12a.fxp

To my ears, Upright_s12a.fxp sounds thin in the midsection; kinda nasal, or like a child's toy piano.  I was actually going for the opposite direction -fattening up the mid, which is why it will be great when Pianoteq lets you apply parameters like detuning to graded ranges of the keyboard.  Might be our reference speakers - and headphones are speakers, let's not forget.  Liked your wishlist ideas.

What about this slight modification?
[deleted]

Last edited by s12a (18-07-2008 20:40)

I remade the fxp from scratch, now it attempts to imitate closely my Anelli-Cremona acoustic upright piano:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploaded/...remona.fxp