Topic: Hugh Sung video performance

We hereby forward a message from pianist Hugh Sung:

Just thought you might enjoy sharing this video on your forum, as it was recorded using your wonderful software.

This is the gorgeous second movement from the Concerto in G major by French composer Maurice Ravel (1875-1937), normally performed with piano and a full orchestra. I love this movement so much I combined all the parts and made an arrangement for solo piano. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CxHFALN1mY

Re: Hugh Sung video performance

Awesome performance, awesome sound. I almost can't believe this is Pianoteq. Which model/preset is it? Any fancy magic postprocessing done to the sound?

wow ... thanks...

Indeed, splendid performance. Would be great to know which model was used.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Indeed, splendid performance. Would be great to know which model was used.

Wasn't it the D4? I could tell by octave 6 and 7.

It was about time to the talented Hugh Sung create a new pianoteq vídeo.   :-)
It sounds really like D4.

Hugh used a MIDI retrofit system, since he was using a real grand piano as MIDI controller.

The grand piano body, the action visible moving, all that give a reinforcement to our minds, leading us to see all good qualities of pianoteq.
It almost gave pianoteq more woodness...

If he was using a compact digital piano as MIDI controller, and not a real grand with retrofit system, it would suggest our minds to be or even made-up excuses for critics.  I risk to say that even a top sampled piano recording, if syncronized with a vídeo of hin playing a compact DP, would lead people to be critic.

Hêe hêe...  He should play pianoteq in this MIDI retrofit grand, and do not say it's pianoteq.  Many people would not notice the sound was generated by a software.

I would like to ask to anyone with U4 add-on and PNO-Scan (or similar retrofit system) on a upright, to do a similar thing.

User123123123 wrote:

Awesome performance, awesome sound. I almost can't believe this is Pianoteq. Which model/preset is it? Any fancy magic postprocessing done to the sound?

Last edited by Beto-Music (31-10-2013 02:14)

Hello Niclas,

Thank you for sharing this performance forwarded by Hugh Sung.  It is a very musical performance, especially when one realizes that he has transcribed the orchestral parts and worked them in to the overall performance.

If I were watching him perform this on YouTube, without disclosing that the sound was by way of Pianoteq, I would not have suspected that such a natural sound would be possible by modeling software.

Cheers,

Joe

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Hello Niclas,

Thank you for sharing this performance forwarded by Hugh Sung.  It is a very musical performance, especially when one realizes that he has transcribed the orchestral parts and worked them in to the overall performance.

If I were watching him perform this on YouTube, without disclosing that the sound was by way of Pianoteq, I would not have suspected that such a natural sound would be possible by modeling software.

Cheers,

Joe

Actually, none of the responses to the video on youtube seem to realize that it's not an acoustic piano sound. The power of suggestion...(or of real blind tests?)

In fact, one of the responses reads as follows:

"Beautifully arranged Hugh! Thank you for such a thoughtful gift. It sounds very special on your Cunningham Piano as well."

Pianoteq vindicated!

It also goes to show the importance of a really good and responsive keyboard. It coaxes something from Pianoteq that mediocre actions can't.

Last edited by Pianophile (31-10-2013 12:39)

Hugh Sung is responsive to e-mail questions, if anyone would like to just ask him he will almost certainly share details of the model, settings and any post processing used.

re the power of (visual) suggestion;
There was a recent radio article on piano contest judging.
A controlled study in which audiences were
a) Allowed to see only the video - without sound
b) Allowed to hear only the sound - no video

They were asked which performances they judged as most likely to have won the contests.

The video only group produced  very close matches to the official contest judges' decisions.
The sound only group produced results that were essentially random.

The conclusion was that piano contests are judged MORE on physical appearances than on the sound produced (MUSIC).

Well, performance art IS "PERFORMANCE" Art

Interesting to think in what system Hugh Sung made this vídeo...

What soundcard, what software to edit the vídeo and sound... (He apparently shoot with 3 câmeras simultaneously ).

Many people report that a good soundcard, a great speaker and quality reverbs make a lot of difference in pianoteq.
But I do not see people report so much difference, about sound details and naturality in a good system, when refers about sampled piano libraries.

Perhaps because people automatically  became overcritic when they know it's a modeled piano.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-11-2013 15:46)

It would probably have got even better reviews if the "physical" piano were a "Tier One" piano with the same "Sound"
"Tier One" is not a term I particularly LIKE.

Has anyone ASKED Hugh about the details yet ?
If so please post his reply if/when he responds.

BTW, this seems to have gone up on You tube nearly a year ago.

@Beto-Music:

you are right, that explanation makes sense. Now that you mention it, I remember some documentary on the TV where they made an experiment: They filmed people (close up of the head) saying "blah" very clearly pronounced. Then they replaced the audio with people saying "la", without the "b". When you saw the modified cut, your mind tricked you into actually hearing "blah" because the lip movements suggested it to your eyes.

User123123123 wrote:

They filmed people (close up of the head) saying "blah" very clearly pronounced. Then they replaced the audio with people saying "la", without the "b". When you saw the modified cut, your mind tricked you into actually hearing "blah" because the lip movements suggested it to your eyes.

Ah, yes...the McGurk effect. Here it is 'fa' vs. 'ba':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Fascinating!

So, if I want to get rave reviews from You tube viewers on "SOUND" (tone, timbre, whatever) it would seem I can use almost anything of appropriate shape and SIZE as long as I make up some authentic looking "Tier ONE" stickers for it ?

SIZE MATTERS, with a little photo-shopping I could probably create the illusion of a 12 ft concert grand in my living room.

As long as it is black with a mirror finish it will SOUND good on You tube.

Not that I can PLAY well enough to publish anything on You tube, but I could fake it with midi files.

Sorry for the off topic but I couldn't resist it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpwhA-LdOHo