Topic: Avantgrand N1 sound customization

I have a new N1 and while I liked the sound, after some modifications I now love it. Initially I liked the N2's fuller bass response but not the +3K price or it's upright appearance, so I bought the N1. Yamaha acknowledges in its N1 manual under trouble shooting that sharpness variances in pitch can occur in certain ranges of notes and is "normal" (ie. don't bother them about this). In A#4 thru F#5 I had a disturbing sharp increase in pitch along with a high resonance that I found very annoying. I corrected it by raising overall pitch level to 42.4; placing a black 1/2", 2ft by 4ft foamboard in front of the window behind the N1 at the tweeter level and installing an equalizer. I always liked the crisp sound of the N1 but personally I found the upper register to be a little too dominant over the lower. I resolved this with a 31 band graphic equalizer mounted on the back of the N1, connected to the piano by Aux In and Out on the left side of the piano (I got the ok from Yamaha tech support first). This allowed me to customize the sound of each piano key. I personally lean to a Fazioli sound, but you could just as easily produce a Steinway sound profile. I also added a Yamaha YST-SW150 subwoofer to "round out" the bass response.  The key here us to be subtle, just a slight boost sounds natural and gives a lot of presence. Also the 150 goes on automatically when I start playing and then turns itself off when I'm done. The subwoofer has some good adjustments for your individual room. I am interested in any other other sound customization anyone has done on the N1.

Last edited by sungerdds (16-06-2014 22:54)

Re: Avantgrand N1 sound customization

Hello,

hope you still use the N1 plus the equalizer. I´m having the same kind off ¨trouble¨ with my N1 and would like to experiment with this solution. 
My question is: what type/brand equalizer did you use? And how does this work with the volume adjusment with the N1?

thanks in advance. !