Topic: Mono vs Stereo

I would like to discuss some phenomenon. I definitely hear degradation in timbral quality of Pianoteq's piano sound, switching it from MONO (one speaker icon) to STEREO (both two speakers and headphones). Even if to make the narrowest grade of STEREO the sound remains featured with distinctive anti-phase coloure. It seems that the originators of Pianoteq Piano rather transform a mono sound to stereo by treating a mono model with a kind of "anti-phase technique". As a result there is a poor mono-to-stereo compatibility.

Re: Mono vs Stereo

I found the same issue , my only solution was adjusting the piano preset while mixing . I ended up with the preset thats in the file section (its called Ranger)

Re: Mono vs Stereo

Hi Igor and Ranger,
the current stereo sound is not issued from a mono sound changed to stereo, but consists in two sounds that are generated separately in the model. When changing the stereo width, each note keeps its own stereo characteristics (as we have two ears) but is placed differently in the soundscape. For example when the stereo width slider is pushed to the left, then all notes are located in the middle, but still remain stereo - thus it's different from a mono sound. It is like changing the width of the instrument, so that it can be adapted to a given mix.

Btw, we are currently doing some intensive research on the acoustic model that will improve the quality of the stereo image.