Topic: Program to control all of PianoTeq w Mod wheel and program changes

Doubtless some people here already have a similar setup using a different program, but this is new to me:

This program does a simple but valuable thing: it lets you press each Program Change button on your midi keyboard to automatically reroute a knob or wheel on a midi keyboard to any midi CC's you predefine. In other words, if you have a midi keyboard with few midi cc knobs, you can use just your mod wheel to control all of the parameters in the vsti version of PianoTeq or any other vsti. It also supports bank changes. Once you set it up, pressing your first Program change button can set the mod wheel to control Unison width. Press your second Program change button, and the mod wheel can control Octave stretching. Press your third Program change button, and the mod wheel controls Direct sound duration, any partial, etc. When you run out of Program change buttons, press a Bank select button, and the Program change buttons reroute the mod wheel to new parameters. The mouse or touch pad are no longer needed. Arguably a step backwards into the world of button pressing, but you only have to press one button, and once you've typed a list of what does what and taped it below the buttons, you don't have to swivel back and forth to see what you're doing. (Some hosts, such as Cantabile, let you name programs, so when you press the Program change button, you see the name of the parameter that the mod wheel will control. Thus no worries about accidentally pressing the wrong button & changing the wrong parameter.) Not as good as having a keyboard with lots of cc knobs, but...

http://thepiz.org/xt/midi8CCRouter_PC.dll

It's donationware. The developer responds to requests. See the thread at KVR about his programs: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic...16ccrouter

At first glance, the program may be slightly confusing: it offers 8 pairs of sliders (midi in and midi out) for rerouting a midi cc. To reroute the mod wheel and be able to reroute it on the fly, you only need to set the first two sliders in the list for each program. So you move the uppermost slider to 1, and then the slider below it, the midi out slider, to whatever midi cc you have Unison width set to (cc 71 by default). Leave all the other slots empty and in your host, change to a new program. Then, again, set the first slot in the midi8ccRouter to 1 and the slider below it to the cc you want the mod wheel to control, etc, until you have as many program changes set up as you have Program change buttons. Then just press a Bank select button on your midi keyboard and continue until you've mapped cc1 to all of the parameters. Save the bank and program and it’s ready to go.   

In PianoTeq, be sure to disable Listen to Program Change messages in Options\Midi. That's the one real problem with using this program--you won't be able to press a Program change button to switch presets. Yes, it may seem at first that this arrangement is more complex than just using the mouse, but it's nice to be able to control everything from the midi keyboard. I've found that I'm remembering what buttons control what fairly fast. A small difficulty: not all of PianoTeq's parameters have default midi cc settings, so you must assign some, such as the Dynamics and the partial sliders, midi cc #'s in your host, and then use these numbers in Midicc8Router. Of course, you need to put this program before PianoTeq in your chain of vsti's.

Obviously, this program was created to do more complex things--since each program change can reroute 8 cc's, people with several cc knobs or pedals could reroute them all with a program change.   

I’m not the creator of this program. The coder has several other interesting midi programs at the bottom of this page: (Not all of these respond to program changes: several let you reroute a cc, but don't you reroute on the fly from the midi keyboard.)

http://www.thepiz.org/dl/?p=vst#midiKeyboard

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-06-2008 04:30)

Re: Program to control all of PianoTeq w Mod wheel and program changes

Hi Jake,

As you know I am in no need of MIDI manipulation tools since I sold my soul to Bidule :-)

But I went to the site by curiosity and I found "image" a VST plug-in that allows displaying graphic images from files. I was just about starting coding my own but no need anymore as this plugin works well so far.

So thanks a lot for the link, saves me several hours of work.

On top of that, I just learned that Cubase Studio 4 directly exports scores in various graphic formats, so that saves me a lot of manipulation as well.

All in all a great day thanks to you!!

I saw the graphic display program--what are you using it for? To display shortcuts or knob settings?

I use it to display "memory helpers". It depends on the song, could be lyrics, chords, memo or complete scores. Since it is a VST plugin, I integrated it in my rack setup in Bidule such that when I change song or song segment using a MIDI foot control, the correct image is displayed automatically along with everything else. I hope it is reliable as I am getting used to this very quickly...