Topic: Studiologic Acuna 88 or Studiologic SL-990 Pro

Has anyone tried the Studiologic Acuna 88 or Studiologic SL-990 Pro?
If so, what are they like?

I'm starting to get dead keys on my Studiologic VMK-188 Plus and my budget is low. I've always like the feel of this midi controller.

Last edited by DonSmith (02-07-2013 10:03)

Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 or Studiologic SL-990 Pro

I have Studiologic Acuna 88 , - good keys, but not perfect midi keyboard, there is some issues.

Shumas wrote:

I have Studiologic Acuna 88 , - good keys, but not perfect midi keyboard, there is some issues.

What where the issues? I'm in the UK and the price for the Studiologic Acuna 88 would be about £385 (GBP). I wouldn't expect it to be perfect in comparison to more expensive models. The manual on the Studiologic VMK-188 Plus was useless, but Its so well built it wasn't an issue. The Studiologic VMK-188 Plus retails at about £365 (GBP) I could just get another one, but I was just wondering how the market has progressed since I purchased it about five years ago.

If you click on this instrument 2.5 - 3 octave keys all, at the same time, this keyboard (Acuna 88) freezes and begins to be incorrect to play audio and midi commands. But I think almost no one does not play as well, so no need to worry for that. Another thing to me,- two keys a little bit mechanically emits some sort of acoustic sounds, but this defect in this instrument itself is easily repaired. As to a pianist,- keys mechanics of this instrument are  good & The instrument is made strongly and for more there is no any other flawlessly this instrument.

Thanks Shumas.

DonSmith wrote:

Has anyone tried the Studiologic Acuna 88 or Studiologic SL-990 Pro?
If so, what are they like?

I'm starting to get dead keys on my Studiologic VMK-188 Plus and my budget is low. I've always like the feel of this midi controller.

I've got the 990pro and like it well enough. The weighted feel is pretty nice, though I doubt it would be mistaken for a real acoustic keyboard. It's also semi-user serviceable if you need to replace the occasional key.

I use it as a straightforward keyboard - no keysplits/layers or anything, and it's good for that. It only accommodates a sustain pedal, so if you're needing more than that you might want to reconsider.

I like my acuna 88. You can use a half dammper pedal with pianoteq, which is great.

Pianoteq 5 Standard (D4, K2, Blüthner, YC5)

craigfowler wrote:

I've got the 990pro and like it well enough. The weighted feel is pretty nice, though I doubt it would be mistaken for a real acoustic keyboard. It's also semi-user serviceable if you need to replace the occasional key.

I use it as a straightforward keyboard - no keysplits/layers or anything, and it's good for that. It only accommodates a sustain pedal, so if you're needing more than that you might want to reconsider.

I tried to get into my Studiologic VMK-188 Plus, but couldn't see anyway how to get into the inner housing unit to access the keys. A shame, just for the sake of a few keys. It seemed like it would or even should have been an easy job. I've always used this as a very basic set up comparable to how you've describe the 990Pro.
Thanks

DonSmith wrote:
craigfowler wrote:

I tried to get into my Studiologic VMK-188 Plus, but couldn't see anyway how to get into the inner housing unit to access the keys. A shame, just for the sake of a few keys. It seemed like it would or even should have been an easy job. I've always used this as a very basic set up comparable to how you've describe the 990Pro.
Thanks

Don - on the off-chance it's helpful, here's a link to my figuring out how to get the housing open on the 990 - I couldn't figure it out at first either.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t22870/

For reasons I can't explain, all the photos are now missing from the thread, but ahh well! (Check Youtube, BTW - that's how I learned how to get into mine, I think)

On edit

Looks like I also posted about my experiences at

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-...ost3556656

And this has the pics still embedded which may just help you.

Last edited by craigfowler (07-07-2013 04:59)

DonSmith wrote:

Thanks

if i have well understood... it may help you
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/clavier-mait...s,p.2.html

PS: VMK188 Plus has better piano touch

imyself wrote:

if i have well understood... it may help you
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/clavier-mait...s,p.2.html

PS: VMK188 Plus has better piano touch

Thanks for the link. This is helpful, the pictures gives me something to go by, but my French is non-existent. I haven't had the chance to open the case again and I can't remember how much of the key contact area I could see, if any.

DonSmith wrote:

This is helpful, the pictures gives me something to go by, but my French is non-existent.

How can your French be non-existent if you don't have any? This is like saying you lost the money you didn't win in the lottery.

Tangled area, implication.

OK if you've spent half a year getting the sense of it right. Maybe.

ADDED: but surely, if you don't win the lottery and so can't afford the house, it makes plain sense not to buy the house first.

Last edited by custral (13-07-2013 20:19)

mabry wrote:
DonSmith wrote:

This is helpful, the pictures gives me something to go by, but my French is non-existent.

How can your French be non-existent if you don't have any? This is like saying you lost the money you didn't win in the lottery.

If I can't speak French, then it's non existing and so is the money.

Last edited by DonSmith (13-07-2013 22:59)

DonSmith wrote:

If I can't speak French, then it's non existing and so is the money.

Right, but you said "my French" which implies that you have or at least one time had some. If I could conjure up things by simply referring to them as mine then I would often say things like "my lottery winnings" but of course I would leave off the part about them being non-existent!

Last edited by mabry (15-07-2013 20:18)