Topic: OS considerations

Hi all,

I just bought a copy of Pianoteq even though I don't run Windows or Mac and I'm curious about the mix of operating systems represented by forum members/Pianoteq users.

If "Other," please specify (sorry I only know those three).  Also feel free to elaborate as to why

Followup question:

If Pianoteq were available for an OS other than what you currently use, would you switch?  Why?

I'll go first:  Linux, despite the fact that it's not technically written for Linux.  I believe strongly in the CopyLeft movement, and it has put out some amazing work.  Linux can be infinitely more stable than Windows and offers the user much more control of parameters and ability to understand what is going on "under the hood."   Not that there aren't headaches or bugs...it's main drawback I think is hardware manufacturers who refuse to release and trust hardware specs to developers willing to write Linux drivers.  For instance, Echo's support and cooperation with the FFADO effort (in addition to a high quality product) is the main reason why I decided to go with the Audiofire2 instead of other options.  In contrast, MOTU has been less than helpful, and even though some of its products are supported, I would not like to reward their attitude.
----------------------------
PS I am planning on getting a dual-boot setup working for my music stuff (Ubuntu/64Studio).  Would anyone be interested in me posting my efforts about getting Pianoteq set up with a new installation of 64Studio (64-bit version) on a

Dell XPS m1330
Core 2 Duo 1.5ghz
2gb RAM
Echo Audiofire2
Yamaha CP33

Re: OS considerations

I'm a mac user here; I switched after several years of using linux.  Don't take this the wrong way, but I've used (and administrated) almost every flavor and distro on the market, and I've come to the conclusion that apple just happens to have the best BSD disto out there.   When I was younger, I had the time and energy to muck around with the system; rebuild my own kernels, tweak and rebuild software, etc.... now, I'd rather make music and get my work done, so my time is too valuable to waste trying to figure out why some random guy's code won't compile on my system, or why module XXX won't communicate with my brand new device YYY, or why my laptop would never wake up out of sleep mode without some problems.

Also, as a professional developer, I must say that the GPL and CopyLeft movement are highly overrated, and at worst, counterproductive.  I don't say this because I make a living from writing software; I really believe that OSS software is generally of sub-par quality because it suffers from poor planning, organization, and distribution.  The few successful examples of OSS projects out there (firefox, apache, bind, etc.) are those who have a paid lead developer planning the stuff out.  Furthermore, it causes people to put a lot of energy behind the political philosophy rather than concentrating on making good, working software.  Most of the strongest OSS supporters are really mediocre programmers (if at all) and don't even use the source code -- they just like the idea that it's there if they need it (hint: they never will).

There is a place for OSS and linux, and it's the server market where this stuff really does matter, but the only reason that it survives there is because sysadmins are getting paid to tweak around these systems all day long.  But 98% of normal computer users just want to get their work done.  The other 2% use linux.  Sorry; but that's the way I see it after using it for 10+ years.

Mac user here too, have played around (professionaly) with both Windows and Linux too, but being a graphic/3D designer and website programmer my preference has been and still is with Mac.
For my music I have started using midi-software in the days of the Commodore64 with Steinberg Pro 16 and after an AtariST with Notator I went to a Mac using Logic (being the descendant of Notator)  of which I'm now using the LogicProStudio 8 version....

cheers
Hans

oh, no offense taken -- I created this thread exactly to stimulate this kind of discussion.   I originally switched from Windows Vista b/c I was tired of it doing things w/o me being able to see what it was (the last was a random switch in permissions that locked me out of my hard drive!).

I think there should be a distinction between 1) OSS and 2) unpaid development.  They aren't the same thing.  Also, 2) can be further divided into 2a) professional developer doing something for free as a side-project and 2b) amateur developer.

So 1 and 2 above can overlap, but they don't need to.  For example, once I get 64studio up and running, and find that I am using programs like Ardour, I will gladly pay to support the development, or pay for tech support.  I would much prefer to pay for OSS than to pay for CSS, which I find fundamentally immoral, frustrating and less productive from a social standpoint.  But optimal OSS usage requires a different political-economic model for our society and different mindsets in the people.

I agree that mac has a great setup going (I was strongly considering getting one before this laptop was given to me as a graduation present), but I also think that is due to their ability to exercise control over, and therefore optimize, hardware and software compatibility so everything fits together in a neatly integrated manner.  Linux doesn't enjoy that same type of compatibility.  But as I mentioned in my original post, is largely due to politics rather than any inherent flaw in Linux.  And because it is political, it requires a little bit of (political, as well as software) struggle to make the playing field fair.

So, if Mac switched to an OSS business model then I would gladly flock to it.  But I will try never to support a business model such as mac and microsoft as long as their MO is the desire for secretive top-down control rather than create a framework facilitating bottom-up development with no secrets (Mac is better at hiding it under very slick hardware/software interfaces, and itself owes a dept to open-source capital for its development and advancement).

So for me it is OSS + supportive hardware (e.g., Dell, Intel, Echo audio, etc).  It is part of the same the continual struggle against sexism, patriarchy, racism and classism, etc etc -- IMHO there is something larger at stake than my "individual productivity" and am I willing to sacrifice some of my personal "productivity time" to contribute to a larger social cause.

All this and yes, Linux runs very well on my computer and there is no sacrifice in productivity vs Microsoft at least when I am writing research papers and doing work with raw data, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail etc etc.

Lastly, I find Linux much more willing to be compatible w/Mac and Windows based formats than Mac and Windows are w/Linux/OSS formats (vorbis, flac, etc).  Gets back to politics:  OSS is a "liability" and will compromise security.

So for me it is OSS + supportive hardware (e.g., Dell, Intel, Echo audio, etc).  It is part of the same the continual struggle against sexism, patriarchy, racism and classism, etc etc -- IMHO there is something larger at stake than my "individual productivity" and am I willing to sacrifice some of my personal "productivity time" to contribute to a larger social cause.

Wow, you're really going to compare closed-source software to actual social injustices where people are hurt, jailed, or killed for these beliefs?

Your argument here isn't just absurd; it's a total disservice to people in parts of the world who are actually fighting and have suffered to make a real difference.  With a sense of such self-importance, it's no wonder that linux isn't taken seriously is the OS market.

All this and yes, Linux runs very well on my computer and there is no sacrifice in productivity vs Microsoft at least when I am writing research papers and doing work with raw data, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail etc etc.

Great.  Let me know how you like using Ardour once you figure out it can't sequence MIDI data.

Lastly, I find Linux much more willing to be compatible w/Mac and Windows based formats than Mac and Windows are w/Linux/OSS formats (vorbis, flac, etc).  Gets back to politics:  OSS is a "liability" and will compromise security.

Yes, the revolution is truly here, and it has arrived in the form of a Pro Tools v2.0 knockoff.

As long as "freedom" is the most important thing to you when using a computer, you'll be stuck with crappy software.  I fully support your right to use it, and that's the beauty of an open market.

What do you think about pianoteq being closed source?  You obviously bought a license for it anyways.  I guess there weren't any "open" alternatives out there?

ouch.  you are kind of bitter and touchy about this subject, and yet ask people "not to take offense" from what you say?

I have just one thing to respond to:  your "smug self-importance" accusation.  The foundation of your assertion is completely specious.  I was not "comparing" anything -- I was placing something in the context of something larger.  Furthermore, you assume that the totality of my activism is in supporting OSS, which is baseless, but convenient for your ad-hominen attack.

I'm not saying that I'm NOT a smug, self-important elitist (etc etc, anything else you want to throw in there?) a-hole -- I may very well be.  We all have flaws.  I'm just saying it's a broad logical jump to conclude that from what I wrote and it necessitates a lot of assumptions on your part which ironically expose elitist aspects of your worldview.  If you really don't like to be wrong, then in the future maybe you should refrain from the argumentational fallacies and actually address the issues.

I'm not going to bother to address the rest of your screed.  I started this thread out of curiosity, not to prove anything.  Do you see the distinction between talking about what you like/don't like about your setup vs trying desperately to convince someone they are going about it all in the wrong way?

All I wanted to know is what OSes people use and why.  I've said my part.  For the rest of this thread, I am going to abstain from further comments except perhaps to ask questions about people's setups if/as they post them.

Hans --

The first computer in my family was an Amiga 2000 w/a noisy, noisy ribbon printer    But I was a wee lad and more interested in the games than the serious midi/audio applications.  oh, the good ol' days...

I remember always seeing Macs at professional recording and graphic design studios when I was younger.  it was like they had cornered the market.  I've heard various reasons for why:  superior exclusive "professional" software packages, stability, CPU performance for audio/graphical applications.   Any of these sound familiar/ring true for you?

ethanay wrote:

ouch.  you are kind of bitter and touchy about this subject, and yet ask people "not to take offense" from what you say?

It wasn't until you compared the struggle of open-source software to racism, sexism, and classism that I set about to offend.   I'm sorry, but that statement really tipped me off.  Politics and software should remain separate... this is a point that we will just have to agree to disagree on.

I wouldn't consider myself "bitter" about linux (and I still use it, actually); I just think it has no place in the audio world.

I'm fine differences in opinion with your second statement above.  I expect as much with a thread like this.  However, I also think you are confusing "open source" and "free."  They don't always overlap.  I would be more enthusiastic to purchase Pianoteq were it open-source.  However, the viability of OSS + free depends largely on a different, more compatible political-economic or even cultural context.

Which brings us to your first opinion, I do think it's insane to pretend that anything (especially something as central to modern industrial culture as software) exists or even could exist in a political vacuum.  Again, I never compared anything, despite your continual insistence that I did.  Here is the original statement:

"It is part of the same the continual struggle against sexism, patriarchy, racism and classism, etc etc -- IMHO there is something larger at stake than my "individual productivity" and am I willing to sacrifice some of my personal "productivity time" to contribute to a larger social cause." [though I'll note here that Ubuntu runs on my parent's desktop way better than Windows ever did...]

no comparison there.

If I were to actually rank the various issues in importance...well, I wouldn't do that because it's a pointless pissing contest that only results in "divide and conquer" benefiting the status quo.  I simply think that everyone should devote as much time as we can on as many of the issues as we can, whenever or however we can.  Of course, keeping in mind that they are all inter-related and important in their own way.  For example, I've spend way more of my life working on sexism and environmental and ecological justice issues (than OSS), but that doesn't mean that I should snub my nose at people who have devoted substantial portions of their life to OSS, because it's still an important part of a larger transformative effort.  Also, people who are well versed in different aspects of the movement always have something to teach and something to learn from others...getting ourselves to recognize that fact is the hard part (egos, competition for scarce resources, etc).

<ahem> but back on topic... Operating system preferences (both real and ideal), anyone??

Hey Ethanay

For Graphics at a certain time Mac was the logical step because almost all Printhouses worked with QuarkXpress - And the great graphics programs like Photoshop were developed on and for Mac.
Those differences have faded a lot - printhouses now output straight from pdf mostly so they don't care where it comes from anymore and most major software-packages are developed multi-platform...
I prefer the look and feel of the Apple system software over Windows - also the way how it's organized - disliking the whole 'registry-bit' from Windows..
But actually it's the software that finally makes me decide for a system...
I got my Atari 1040 because there was some 3D software available that I liked and it had Steinberg Pro24 and Notator midi-software....

After having used Notator on Atari for quite some time - that package moved to Apple (and also Windows for some time) and was later renamed to Logic.
In the meantime it has been bought by Apple and now only developed for Apple..
I love that program so stick with it.... and thus with Apple :-)

For developing my php-websites I have to check it out on several different systems, so using Parallels on Mac I emulate Windows or Ubuntu Linux - they all have their own strengths....
With all fading difference between different OS'es I thought the 'flame wars' had faded too

cheers
Hans

I've only played with the demo version of pianoteq and don't yet have a way to connect my dp to my computer.  However, I felt like I'd place my vote for Linux since that's what I've run it under so far (well, running under WINE in linux, but still the main OS I use is linux).  It would sure be great to run it without WINE though.

Hi Hans,

i understand about once you spend so much time "learning a system that works" (for you) then it seems pointless to transition.  but i never actually feel like i was "learning Windows" -- only that I was always trying to cope with it.  i hate the $#@! registry (from much bad experience) and it would always get messy and slow.  Windows has hardware/software compatibility, though.  on the other hand, i feel like i am learning a lot about GNU/Linux and how it works, and it has been far more consistent and stable.  i don't like "unsolvable mysteries"

mac seems to be a completely different approach: tightly integrated hardware/software combinations.  i've never really used it, though, so i don't know how "open" and learnable it is, but it seems like mac has a very strict and restrictive legal philosophy, too

to be honest, i run a minimal heavily customized gnome desktop on both 64studio 2.1 and Ubuntu 8.04 that looks a lot like a mac environment, only better (i have to admit, for the most part mac does design very well, but there are some things i find extremely annoying)

if you run ubuntu, check out avant-window-navigator and gnome-do if you haven't already, they are amazing!

hi, Sawtooth,

i just got 64studio 2.1 (32-bit version, i know, it's confusing) setup this last weekend, and have pianoteq 2.2 running on it VERY WELL.  i can run the standalone app with wineasio routing audio through jack, or the vst through dssi-vst that handles both audio and midi routing.  yes, it would be nice to have a native linux version, but it runs well enough that i bought the full version.

check out the linux setup threads on this forum and please let me know if you have any setup questions and i will try to help, or check out the ubuntu forums for a pianoteq/linux thread i have been using to learn about low-latency audio while setting up pianoteq (thorgal has been very helpful   it has all been a crash course for me, but i am very happy with the results

does your dp have a usb out? or is it midi cable only? fwiw, my dp has usb and it is automatically recognized and configured by linux/wine for use with notation/sequencer, etc programs.  i haven't tried a midi connection yet because i don't have my firewire card set up yet.

HI Ethanay

It's not so much a matter of it being pointless after 'learning a system that works' - it has also to do with available software (and the amount of money invested)
All audio- , 3D and graphics software I'm running right now (which altogether have cost me loads of money) run on Apple so it would be pointless and a bad company decision to switch to Linux or Windows.

That said, for web-comparison I will keep running the 3 systems next to each other to check if my webdesigns and php-programs are running cross-platform...

But for work and hobbies I'll remain with all software that I have running on Mac..

cheers
Hans

yes, perhaps "pointless" was a bad choice in your case.  instead: "costly" "painful" "time-consuming" etc etc.  If people have a setup that truly works for them, then that's great and no reason to switch (hence "pointless").  For me, it just wasn't working and I was tired of dealing with that type of crap.  In OSS realm there is certainly other crap to deal with (e.g., egos), but tends to be more honest...and open

for me, the transition was possible due to luck:  I had just received this laptop as a graduation gift, and so had to transfer all my personal files to the new computer anyway from my parent's old computer.  the laptop happened to have hardware that has good linux compatibility (i did not choose it, so again, luck).  plus, Vista to me was like a new O/S compared to XP, so either way I would be learning a new system.  Also, I've had some time to "decompress" after graduation and spend learning strange new software. 

Lastly, in addition to my political beliefs, as well as Vista being an unnecessary resource hog compared to my current setup (64studio + Ubuntu dual boot), Vista kept doing crap that MS O/S software has done all along since Win95:  even without any tweaking, parameters and settings get changed "under the hood" and it is more difficult to get "under the hood" to regain control of my own system.  Too many programs do things without my permission, don't allow me to fully uninstall (AT&T!!), etc etc.  So much spyware and malicious (but completely legal??!!) commercial code...the dishonesty and deceit is maddening.  The system gets sluggish and needs a restart every so often, or it just crashes.  After a while the registry gets messed up just from installing/uninstalling normal software.  Funny what people accept when they don't know there are better options...

The last straw was Vista changing permissions (without my permission) and locking me out of my own hard drive.  Luckily, I had my old files backed up still on an external drive and could wipe the system.  Chose Ubuntu (vs PCLinuxOS) as a relatively "new-person friendly" transition and haven't looked back much, especially with Ubuntu 8.04.

So much of it is a chicken and egg problem:  compatibility often lacks because so few use it because compatibility lacks.  But with support from Intel, and Dell (Ubuntu pre-installed and configured), etc it is becoming much more accessible. Ultimately, I think a lot of it is Windows/Mac OS comes pre-installed on almost all systems, and people almost never change from that default.

hello there!
After having followed up ethanay in his setting up 64studio, I thought I would pass by in here, just checking out what was going on since he got pianoteq up and running. I must say, this thread started full blast

So I voted Linux because I use linux. Now, as to why ? ... mmm ... why not ?
Seriously, for me, there's no such thing as an OS is better than another one, etc. This is all very subjective at the end, unless you are a strong developer of different OS'es at the same time and can see the weaknesses and strong points in those.

For me, Linux has been a natural choice because I grew up with unix systems due to my work activities (physics research, software dev for very specific contexts and tasks). When I was younger, I never had any computer at home and I touched a computer for the 1st time at the age of 19 (a box running VAX-VMS ...). Needless to say, I hated those things I got my first personal computer at the age of 26, my physics institution offered a laptop to give me more independance in my work. Because the sys admin of the institute was into linux, I got it with linux installed (this was not the 1st time I used linux though but I am talking about MY pc here). I was not very pleased about having a PC, I thought it was more a waste of time to have a computer at home ... until I discovered that you could record and manage your own music with it in a rather practical manner. This discovery CHANGED my view and I decided that one day I would build an efficient home studio revolving around a PC. I did not consider windows or MAC because :
1- I don't know these systems
2- they are too expensive to me, simple home user, and I am not into cracked softwares.
I respect their industry, even though I disagree in many ways with certain of their policies or business practices. However, if they are that successful, it is because there is a market for this kind of industry. Maybe some ppl would say that they go for MS or MAC because of some extremely strong marketing, even brain-washing, etc. Maybe so ... but I don't feel really concerned by that. There's always been immensily successful actors in whatever domain, but as long as they don't shadow the whole spectrum of possibilities, I can cope with that no problem

I am used to spend time tweaking my systems (I have linux servers at home), even fixing bugs at times, or trying different things, even though they come from "random guys" (to paraphrase someone above). I think at the end, it is the satisfaction you derive from your activities that count, be they music production, software dev or anything else like political activism. If they lead you to a certain enlightment about yourself and your environment, and make ppl feel better by feedback, I don't think linux or windows or osx matter in the absolute.

That's also the reason why I bought Pianoteq or Addictive Drums (drum VSTi) and run them on my linux system. I don't care that they were written for windows or mac. They just sound great and they work flawlessly in my studio. If that had not been possible, I would have found out some other alternatives and convinced myself that it is THE solution for my work, just as I did with these two VSTi's.

Most of all, what I like about linux is the community. I spend about 1/4 of my work time in sending feedback that can be useful to someone facing issues that I faced myself. Of course, other OS'ses have their community and so on, but I find the linux community sympathetic as more often that not, you have very enthusiastic people that will to discover what kind of tool they ended up with in their hands and linux certainly helps in this discovery (even though it can be painful at times ... don't you think ethanay ? )

thorgal wrote:

hello there!
After having followed up ethanay in his setting up 64studio, I thought I would pass by in here, just checking out what was going on since he got pianoteq up and running.

<snip>

you have very enthusiastic people that will to discover what kind of tool they ended up with in their hands and linux certainly helps in this discovery (even though it can be painful at times ... don't you think ethanay ? )

haha, yes, it can be very painful.  i can't deny this...but the italian in me reacts very dramatically to little issues, too   Sprinting up a long, steep hill is also painful and perhaps for the same reason, it feels good to be at the top.

but even in the few short months I have used linux (ok, it is starting to approach a year now), I love how transparent it is and how stable and high performance it is...once it is set up.  And setting it up is becoming easier with distros like 64studio and Ubuntu, and increasing hardware support.  I have no complaints with the software available, and it serves my needs well.  I think systems like Ubuntu are to the point of being ok for the casual/general user (word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail, db, internet, media/entertainment), and many institutions are picking up on this.  But again, it is often a "chicken and the egg" problem to overcome.

In the end, I would prefer more balanced competition, which is where I think the industry is headed as long as the controls and monopolies can be broken

Vista 64-bit

i am hoping that PianoTeq will soon be converted to 64-Bit!!!!!!

I voted 'Other' in the poll, as I've never heard of 'MaxOS'. - There was no option for 'Mac OS X' which is what I actually use.

I voted 'other' because I run Pianoteq on Receptor.

While the Receptor is running Red Hat Linux, it is actuallly running Pianoteq in a Wine shell (more or less) so it's sort of a hybrid OS.

I guess I could have just selected Linux, but I had to be different :-)

JR