Topic: trouble registering as a VSTi plug-in

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before (I searched and couldn't find the answer) I just installed Pianoteq 2.2.  I want to use it as a plug-in in SONAR PE6.  It doesn't recognize it yet.  I think I have to use the plug-in manager to point SONAR in the right direction to find it.  I've pointed it to the Pianoteq folder in the Program Files on my C drive,  but it still doesn't see it.  Is the information that SONAR needs to see in a different folder?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Re: trouble registering as a VSTi plug-in

I don't know Sonar, but most sequencer packages follow the same procedures. It needs to find the file PianoTeq22.dll, which will be wherever you chose to place it during the installation. This file is not the same file that opens the standalone version of PianoTeq, and it is usually not stored in the PianoTeq folder. Often the default location is C:\Program File\Steinberg\VSTPlugins or something along these lines. If you have other vst plugins, the PianoTeq.dll file will probably be in the same place. If you don't, or if it isn't, you can always just search for the file.

To set your sequencer program to find the file, start Sonar and find the command that opens the preferences or options. Often, it's Files\Preferences, or Tools\Preferences or Options or Settings. One of the tabs or pages there will give you the chance to set the place where it looks for vst instrument dll files such as PianoTeq. If the PianoTeq22.dll file is not in the same folder as your other VSTI's, you may want to move it so they are all in the same folder. That way, Sonar will always find all of the files automatically. (On the other hand, some sequencers let you set multiple locations for the vst dll's, so you may be able to do that.)

All of this can seem confusing the first time you set it up, but you'll later wonder why. Just remember that the program file for the standalone version is different from the program file for the VSTI. Once you understand this, calling up a VSTI is no different from opening any file in any program. The only difference is that in your sequencer you'll be opening up two things--the VSTI and the file you want to record into.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (14-05-2008 08:30)

Thanks again,  but search as I may,  there is no Pianoteq .dll file installed anywhere that I can find. In my VST plugins folder in sonar it's not there.  When I installed Pianoteq, I unchecked the RTAS plugin because I don't use pro-tools. I can't find it anywhere.  Any suggestion?

Charlie

Writing a quick response to your message, I at first said to look for the PianoTeq.dll file. Later I edited my message--the most recent file that I know to look for is the PianoTeq22.dll file.

Everyone: is there a more recent version, with a slightly different name, that he might have?

Hi Jake.  Thanks for your help.  I un-installed PT and upon re0instlling it noticed that the plugs ins were going to be installed in a old Steinberg folder on my computer.  That's where the first files went!  I thought I had uninstalled all of the Steinberg folders when I stopped using CUBASE VST years ago!  Apparently I missed one.

All is well with my VST plug ins.  Thanks again,

Charlie