Topic: How many pedals?

Hi guys.
talking about MIDI KB only, and hoping my question is not too stupid.

how many pedals do you use and how many pedals does your KB support?

I just play classical music, and I would like to buy a new keyboard. How many pedals do I really need?????

Here's what I have found so far regarding some very popular models on the PT forum:

- Classical pianos, Clavinova and similar all have the 3 standard pedals.

- Numa Nero 2 pedals only , and even the Fatar support I contacted is not sure wheter it is possible to use a 3-pedal set

- Kawai VPC1 comes with a 3-pedal set

- CME UF80 2 pedals

- Yamaha CP5 2 + 1.

- Kawai MP10/MP6 2 pedals. (am I wrong?)

Re: How many pedals?

Regarding the "3rd" pedal (2nd pedal?) . .  Do not overlook that the "middle" pedal may be assigned for functions other than "Sostenuto":

•  transposing • changing a preset • swapping between Preset A and preset B  etc.

But in the pure classical sense,  the middle pedal has remained polished and quite unused.  I am not a classically trained pianist.  I cannot name a particular composition that requires the use of the "classical" function of the middle pedal.  I have a close friend who is the retired chair of a liberal arts college in Texas - he has a masters degree in piano performance and he told me once that he would have to do a little research on any compositions requiring the use of Sostenuto and get back to me.  (tongue in cheek).

A "real" concert grand . . . the ones costing thousands of Euros, Pounds and Dollars and Francs . . . will have what the most prestigious brochures refer to as a "Full Sostenuto".   Basically,  one would play a chord or note and immediately depress that Sostenuto pedal before letting go of the manually held note or chord.  That chord or note would continue to sustain as long as you hold the middle pedal.  kind of like memory . . . because other notes on the keyboard that did not get played do not sustain.  After all,  that is what the Sustain Pedal does.  So as the chord or note fades away,  you may play chords or notes or figures through that area that you had latched with the Sostenuto pedal.  Some notes will sustain and some notes will not . . kind of muddling up the new part you are playing.

It would probably be more useful if all of the newly played notes would play with or with out sustain depending upon whether you used the sustain pedal at this point.   Unfortunately,  there is not a way to FIX this "problem" on one of those real concert grand pianos costing thousands.  (tongue in cheek)  They would need a second set of strings and a second set of hammers etc.

This boring expose . . or the same words by countless others has caused the phrase:  "OH - NO ONE EVER USES THAT PEDAL ANYWAY"

I contend that FIXING this could become an optional feature in Pianoteq.  For once the "Full Sostenuto" could become the "most full"  or "fuller sostenuto"  or perhaps just "Super Sostenuto"

For a serious improv player . . such an enhanced Sostenuto feature is very useful.   Play and latch a chord and immediately be able to play a figure right through that same area of the keyboard independently . .?  It is more useful musically to be able to do this.

Finally, don't get spoiled . .  you would not be able to do this on a "real" piano.

Lanny

If you were OK by a no-live-performance limitation, you could get the effect you're after (at least as I make that out) by running two Pianoteq slaves and having #1 play the earlier (long-die-away) chord with ordinary Sostenuto, while #2 plays  the later (shorter-held) notes with ordinary Sustain, but maintained more briefly.

Might suffice, within that limitation.

traver02, one can simply buy  separated pedal, for example CME gpp-3, it works directly with laptop through usb, and doesn't depend on keys. In my opinion 2 pedals are enough for non-professional pianist, as una corda can be reprogrammed to sostenuto pedal.

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

LTECpiano wrote:

Regarding the "3rd" pedal (2nd pedal?) . . 

But in the pure classical sense,  the middle pedal has remained polished and quite unused.  I am not a classically trained pianist.  I cannot name a particular composition that requires the use of the "classical" function of the middle pedal. 

Lanny

Two classical compositions came immediately to mind, that require the use of the middle pedal:

Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor -- The opening octave notes, and in similar places A-G#-C# (capture the lowest C# octave with the middle pedal, while you play the next three chords whose top note are:  C#-E-D#). 

Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata, last movement -- Capture the C octave pedal point with the middle pedal, while you play the rolled E-G-C-E-G-C-E chord with the right hand, and simultaneously reach to G5 with the left hand, and play:  G-G---C-E-G-C-E.   Feel free to use your right foot to work the sustain pedal as you please, while holding down the sostenuto pedal with your left foot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Glad to learn that.  Also, I will pass that on to my friend in San Antonio.  The Sostenuto function at present certainly works for that.  The  "Super Sostenuto" - if you will - that I am suggesting would just be another choice in our pedal assignments.  I was quite spoiled by that option on my Kurzweil M5-32 console piano.  I can only imagine what you could do with it.

By the way,  I am still floored by the second U4 demo in the newly released Pianoteq Pro 4.  That is a an excellent demo . .  I have played that for several acquaintances and they are quite impressed.

Glad you are recovering from your mishap - I am a lefty here also.

Lanny

jcfelice88keys wrote:

Two classical compositions came immediately to mind, that require the use of the middle pedal:

Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor -- The opening octave notes, and in similar places A-G#-C# (capture the lowest C# octave with the middle pedal, while you play the next three chords whose top note are:  C#-E-D#). 

Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata, last movement -- Capture the C octave pedal point with the middle pedal, while you play the rolled E-G-C-E-G-C-E chord with the right hand, and simultaneously reach to G5 with the left hand, and play:  G-G---C-E-G-C-E.   Feel free to use your right foot to work the sustain pedal as you please, while holding down the sostenuto pedal with your left foot.

I wouldn't say they "require" the use of the middle pedal. Beethoven didn't have a middle pedal. It was invented a few decades after his death. Rachmaninoff could have used it but as far as I can tell from a historical recording of him playing his own Prelude that I have he did not use it for this work.

But I can agree with you if you mean: the middle pedal can be an interesting option when playing these works.

But there are probably some 20th/21st century compositions that require the middle pedal and where this has been indicated by the composer.

traver02 wrote:

Kawai MP10/MP6 2 pedals. (am I wrong?)

The MP10 supports triple pedal functionality by adding a switch pedal to the included F-20 pedal.
Similarly, the MP6 supports triple pedal functionality by adding the F-20 pedal to the included F-10H pedal.

Cheers,
James
x

My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

Kridlatec wrote:

traver02, one can simply buy  separated pedal, for example CME gpp-3, it works directly with laptop through usb, and doesn't depend on keys. In my opinion 2 pedals are enough for non-professional pianist, as una corda can be reprogrammed to sostenuto pedal.

The CME gpp-3 went out of production a while ago and had a fairly bad reputation, it was also a "switch", i.e. did not provide half pedaling.
Unless it has come back into production and has come back with BETTER QUALITY it remains a non option - even as 3 "switches".

tractor_music wrote:

The CME gpp-3 went out of production a while ago and had a fairly bad reputation, it was also a "switch", i.e. did not provide half pedaling.
Unless it has come back into production and has come back with BETTER QUALITY it remains a non option - even as 3 "switches".

I don't know about quality of gpp, but offical site and reviews say that: "- Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 are switch type, Pedal 3 is continuous type with half pedal function".
By and large we need progressive pedal only for sustain, and it's enough, i think

Last edited by Kridlatec (17-04-2013 19:58)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Kridlatec wrote:
tractor_music wrote:

I don't know about quality of gpp, but offical site and reviews say that: "- Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 are switch type, Pedal 3 is continuous type with half pedal function".
By and large we need progressive pedal only for sustain, and it's enough, i think

I have two and this is correct. The spotty reputation is well-earned but it is a nice unit, when and if it works.