Topic: Kawai VPC1 - Must have ?

It is my understanding that the Kawai VPC1 is now available for purchase.   There has been a lot of hoopla connected to this midi controller because of the presence of a user defined velocity curve within the instrument.   Also, with regard to the Pianoteq product, it has a built in Pianoteq velocity curve.

Frankly, I am puzzled by the significance this "built-in" velocity curve feature has been assigned.   I hope someone here can explain why this is of special significance.

To my way of thinking, I say ... So what ?    Even if it is the "correct" velocity curve for the Pianoteq product, the sound that eventually reaches my ears is affected by numerous other items (i.e. drivers, audio interface devices, mixers, amplifiers, speakers, listening environment, etc ...) so that that sound might still be unacceptable to us.

Also, I have never been one to carefully construct a velocity curve.  I usually just use the one provided and modify the volume a little.   If I do change the velocity curve it is a matter of only making it a little more concave to keep it softer on the low velocity end.

I just does not seem to warrant all the hoopla regarding this instrument.

I welcome any corrections to my thinking.

I would love to buy one but I cannot find a real reason to do so.   I have the Kawai ES7 and it seems to work just fine for the same thing the VPC would be used for ... Plus it has its own sound that is very nice.

Any thoughts on this ?

Re: Kawai VPC1 - Must have ?

I too have ES7 and am downright impressed by it. Major drawback's the repetition, which, despite its 3rd sensor (according to the notes), doesn't act as if one's there (or there reliably, a full letup being soon needed always). Maybe they got the intermediate positioning of sensor 3 wrong for practical purposes, or the convoluted-looking folded action simply doesn't suit 3. But looking at the package the piano makes overall, worth buying, worth keeping.

And the VPC-1 seems to be pitching the same external image. But no sounds. 65 pounds heavier. Same price. You'd hope that picture adds up to a better action : it's certainly more straightforward, easier to get what gives.

Turning to the software (this dratted country isn't going to import VPC-1, probably ever, so speculation's all I can offer), what actual use are velocity curves? Standard explanation's that actions can vary, so player needs a compensator (ES7's got equivalents to Pianoteq's plus provision for 2 others based on one's own playing) to help match acoustic keyboards he's used to. If you've got a mismatch there's a problem.

But another problem's if, say your left hand's weaker than your right (common even with proficient players, Pianoteq's velocity telltale picks it out well). In that case simply use a curve shaped more like PTQ's 'Moderately Slow' to compensate. And who is to say using a curve this way is wrong? Too, using 'Moderately Fast' in practice would muscle-up your left hand against Exam Day, on that stiff piano.

Thus providing VPC-1's editor doesn't get in your way when using your Pianoteq curve, only reason it's in the package at all is to suit latecomer-softwares to the VPC-1 Party,  which might not provide curves at all; just a bit of prudence Kawai throws in.

As for 'official curves', one wonders about those..... Perhaps they're called for, say, with Ivory, the sampling might better match one particular keyboard touch better than some general one.

I sure wish some owners would come out with reviews.

I have wanted to weigh in on this but have just been observing.  So now . .

I have a working model of the Kawai digital action and several others . . F.A.T.A.R., Roland,  Steinway,  Kawai acoustic . . plus many others from years past.  I have worked with people in this field for quite a long time.

In my opinion,  the Kawai and Roland action are absolutely ahead of them all and yet the two are not alike at all.

a)  the Kawai ( at least the one in the VPC ) is one of the finest on the market but the length of the key lip to the fulcrum (hinge at the middle) is actually shorter than:

b)  the Roland which has a folded action beneath the key . . the key itself is actually longer than the VPC !

c)  since the Kawai has its mechanism above the key . . then the case is going to have to rise up towards the back to enclose whatever is there.

d)  since the Roland has its mechanism beneath the key,  then the case could be relatively flat if Roland were to desire to make it as souch.

Both of these keyboards feel great - They are out in front of all the rest.  BUT . . . BUT . .

Casio has done something that no one company has done: 

1)  an articulated action that feels pretty doggone good
2)  has all 88-notes

3)  AND YET . . .  WALK AWAY UNDER ARM WEIGHT . . 22 POUNDS and starting at about $500 US

What's the model number of the Casio keyboard?

I've spend a couple of hours tonight trying to compare what's available out there at the moment.

I currently have a battered old Kurzweil Midiboard as my studio controller - but at 34 kg (!) it's hell to move across the room, let along gig with. And it's action is pretty stiff.... but it does Polyphonic Aftertouch!

The Kawai VPC1 is 29½ kg so a *little* lighter than my Midiboard
It doesn't have ANY aftertouch or even pictchbend or modwheel - but in a way I actually *like* the way it's only designed to be a grand piano controller and nothing else -
cos to be honest, a grand piano action is pretty inappropriate for playing Wurli or Clavinet (hah! those plastic keys or splurging away on a an evolving synthpad with PolyAT.

Thomann are currently selling the VPC1 for £1127.... that's cheaper than, for instance, the Studiologic Numa Nero, which is £1159... and the Nero doesn't send Note Off Velocity, and only has two pedal inputs, wheras the VPC1 comes with a triple pedal and progressive dampering. (The Numa is 3½kg lighter though)

The fabled Lachnit FLK Mk2 purports to have amazing action, plus mono aftertouch and it even sends MIDI Active Sensing. It's 4½kg lighter than the VPC1 ... the current price is £3530 though?!?

And none of these new boards do PolyAT like my old Midiboard...
the Infinite Response VAX77 does, but is approx £2570 and only 76 keys and not a piano type action...

... all in all, I'm confused  

I'm going to Musikmesse 2013 next month, I hope to try a few of these machines out!

LTECpiano wrote:

I have wanted to weigh in on this but have just been observing.  So now . .

Casio has done something that no one company has done: 

1)  an articulated action that feels pretty doggone good
2)  has all 88-notes

3)  AND YET . . .  WALK AWAY UNDER ARM WEIGHT . . 22 POUNDS and starting at about $500 US

I've been lurking about too but want to weigh in here -

Casio is not the only light weight 88 with weighted keys. I recently bought a Casio PX3 on close out but hated the piano sound and returned it for a Yamaha P105. It has a better piano sound and (IMO) better action.

The Yamaha, unfortunately, does not come up to the level of my Kawai EP3.

Both work fine with Pianoteq.

Robert Steinberg
MidiOpera.com

Numa Nero can be found on Ebay for € 880 plus shipping.

but It seems to be not very reliable.....I have read a lot of forums....

the FATAR guys are telling me that, at least for the italian market they had no items back for assistance in 2012!!!!

we are all in a similar boat.....which one is the "one"???

Numa Nero has 22,5 Kg, usb power (depends on the USB port of the PC), no note-off velocity, no tri-sensor (the new numaconcert has tri-sensor tecnology)

vpc1 has 29,5 kg, usb power, note-off, pianoteq native integration

both have a wooden kb

but vpc1 it costs a lot more......

I tried the Numa one at the Frankfurt Musikmesse,
it felt like total plastic crap! Sorry! Total rubbish. Stiff plastic action, just nasty. I have non-velocity-sensitive 80s analogue synths with better keyboard action than that!

I tried one too (Numa Nero), and it's definitely not as bad as feline1 says it is... Just shows how action is a very subjective thing.

In short - you gotta go and try it out for yourself before purchasing it.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-04-2013 09:22)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I tried one too (Numa Nero), and it's definitely not as bad as feline1 says it is... Just shows how action is a very subjective thing.

In short - you gotta go and try it out for yourself before purchasing it.

Well, indeed.
But I did try them, and that's what I thought

http://youtu.be/c3ikME3jpUw

At last, a controller that actually does feels like a grand!!!

Congrats sigasa!

Really great playing, lots of expressive control in those fingers.

Beautiful sound too!

James
x

My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

Envy. (Tho not for your weather!) Thanks for the demo, better than a verbal review. Oddly I was listening to one of your soundcloud samples just yesterday, drooling over the sound and wondering about the preset. It was named : Project Ressurected (yep, that spelling, from memory).

I say, James, do you think the Kawai Power Supply for the ES7 would drive the VPC-1?

I ask because, living in Australia where the stick-in-the-mud Kawai officials have declined to consider importation, fans are thrown onto their own devices when seeking to import from US, say.

One would have to take with it a Power Supply geared to the US, 110..120 volts, versus the Australian norm of 240 volts.

That's a problem, but I own the ES7 and might use its Power Supply (if it *would* serve the VPC-1), as a more convenient workpast for this mismatch than any other. (And which I'll have to look into otherwise.)

Last edited by custral (01-05-2013 04:05)

custral wrote:

I say, James, do you think the Kawai Power Supply for the ES7 would drive the VPC-1?

No, I don't believe so.  The VPC1 is a relatively low-power unit and ships with a smaller power adaptor than the ES7.  However, the adaptor is only required when using 'standard' MIDI cables.  When connecting to a Mac/PC via USB, the VPC1 will draw its power from the computer's USB bus.

As for availability of the VPC1 in Australia, I'm afraid that's beyond my control, however it's always possible that the chaps responsible will reconsider their stance.  The situation in Japan is a good example - there were originally no plans to market the VPC1 over here either, however lots of consumer and industry interest following NAMM and now Musikmesse, and the domestic sales division have had a change of heart.

Cheers,
James
x

Last edited by Cute James (01-05-2013 04:20)
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

Thank You for the USB tip, a super-convenient workpast. I could then await developments from Kawai Australia - thrum, thrum, thrum.....

And buy the PS when and if.

custral wrote:

Thank You for the USB tip, a super-convenient workpast. I could then await developments from Kawai Australia - thrum, thrum, thrum.....

And buy the PS when and if.

Custral, my VPC1 came with high quality USB cable with gold plated connectors! There have been no power issues using just this. It's the better option anyhow because USB is a faster interface than standard MIDI cables etc..

Hope this helps,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Cute James wrote:

Congrats sigasa!

Really great playing, lots of expressive control in those fingers.

Beautiful sound too!

James
x

Thank you James. I can simply concentrate in playing now!

The VPC1 outshines all my previous keyboards. Even the NUMA Nero's keyboard (which I liked VERY much) did not have anything like the feel/sound interaction/relationship that the RM3 Grand II in this baby has when played through PianoTEQ's custom curve, nothing like!

In a few more days I wish to right a more detailed review (it only arrived yesterday!). But initial impressions have me "over-the-moon" with my new grand piano(s)

I will receive my VPC1 tomorrow.

I will let you know.....

I think I bought the last available unit in Europe (after Sigasa of course). next availability is "end of may".

I bought a decent K&M stage too for home purposes only.

But I cannot compare with Sigasa "art of playing".....

traver02

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you enjoy your VPC1,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Well, I have some questions.

How is the dynamics limites for this VPC1 controller ?

I refer about the maximun velociy the sensor can detect.

And how it feel when used in a piano software that recorded or emulate even the most powerfull FFF strikes?

Beto-Music wrote:

Well, I have some questions.

How is the dynamics limites for this VPC1 controller ?

I refer about the maximun velociy the sensor can detect.

And how it feel when used in a piano software that recorded or emulate even the most powerfull FFF strikes?

Hi Beto-Music,

In short, the dynamics are phenomenal!
Kawai and PianoTEQ have done a terrific job of the touch curve. In fact, it's taken a lot of getting used to after playing on lesser quality boards. I have never heard anything like what I hear through PianoTEQ with the VPC1. I'll send another demo in an attempt to illustrate the dynamic range/response.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (01-05-2013 22:46)

traver02 wrote:

I will let you know.....

I think I bought the last available unit in Europe (after Sigasa of course). next availability is "end of may".

lol yeah I placed an order with Thomann slightly too late, and am now waiting on "end of may" for them to get more stock.

feline1 wrote:
traver02 wrote:

I will let you know.....

lol yeah I placed an order with Thomann slightly too late, and am now waiting on "end of may" for them to get more stock.

I don't want to take thomann (I order what I can there) a customer away for a day, but as I was curious how expensive the Kawai would be (1329.-, certainly worth the price, but....huiiiiiiiiiii^^) I found websites that have it available and seem to send worldwide, for example musicstore.de
At least you can write a mail to them, if you would not like to wait until "end of May". You could, but well, would you like to^^, cancel the Thomann order. And as they are great and good and rich, they would not even go bankrupt...(please sing "hark the angels come" now, will you)

Now I'll humbly go to my old clavinova - which in fact is lovely too.

I am a very loyal thomann customer, but in this case.....I had to remove the vpc1 from my wish list.
why wait 1 month? too late.

I bought from a german website for 1351 € but without shipping cost to italy. so price is acceptable.

I sold my Clavinova "before" buying the vpc1 to have an excuse for the change....and upgrade!

but, for my piano skill Clavinova or Casio Privia are an acceptable choice for at least one more year....

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/835/imageblcd.jpg/

Last edited by sigasa (04-05-2013 10:00)

http://youtu.be/asLVyfXL80c

Unboxing photos together with audio demo

Kindest Regards all,

Chris

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7130/imagedevi.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8624/imagekpim.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3443/imagebnnw.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9490/imagellm.jpg

Last edited by sigasa (05-05-2013 16:00)

What about Moddart create some velocity curves for the other Kawai wooden Keys models (CS9 CA93 CA95 etc...), to get a similar response to the VPC1 adjusted to pianoteq?

This could make pianoteq a bit more desirable for who already have such Kawai models.

Last edited by Beto-Music (05-05-2013 16:58)