Topic: Getting a sound closer to this recorded sound?

NOTE: I'm getting close to this sound using the M1 Rock piano. I've posted an fxp that tries to replicate the sound:

Rock for solo playing.fxp

The sound in this live video is not perfect and it has the usual video low-sampling rate, so it obviously seems a little worse in quality than a PianoTeq preset, but it does present a Yamaha sound I'm wanting more and more, though I'm not sure what its physical source is. Warning to the classical people here--this is a video recording of Sarah McClachlan playing and singing "Angel" solo:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BDkcJ-62uuY

The sound I'm speaking of is the combination of a lot of presence when each note is struck and the long decay of chords, without much reverb, from what I can hear.

I'm not sure what causes the fullness of the notes and the sweet decay after the attack. But for the longer decay--Am I just hearing more of the remanent sound, largely because of the mic set-up? Does the brighter sound of a Yamaha come in part from it having a louder or longer remanent sound in ratio to the direct sound or soundboard reflections?

Or is a lot of compression used for live concerts like this, so that it's hard to tell how the piano actually sounded?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (11-04-2008 15:07)

Re: Getting a sound closer to this recorded sound?

TONS of compression for sure ! :-) But very nice anyway.