Topic: LACHNIT FLK Keyboard

I just received the Modartt email newsletter, and I see that we Pianoteq users now get a 5% discount on LACHNIT FLK Keyboards.  I've been contemplating a keyboard upgrade for some time, so this intrigues me.  However, there is very little information available about these keyboards and the website is in German (not a language which I speak).  Has anyone had any experience with Lachnit?  I don't imagine that there's anywhere in the US I could try one, but if there is I'd love to hear about it.

Re: LACHNIT FLK Keyboard

If you look at the top of the page there is a US flag you can click to get the webpage in English.

Clicking the US/UK flag takes you to a VERY incomplete version of the site. Apparently, these people don't really want any English speaking customers.

indeed, it is mostly in German.

You can use Google Translate to get a reasonable feel for what it's all saying though.

It looks very intriguing - I too am on the looking for a new MIDI master keyboard for piano... 
It's not cheap though! But if it really is a proper grand piano action that sounds very appealing.

There's a fair rundown on this page -

Musicplayer Forum

- including prices. Elsewhere (though how current the page was who knows), it seems this is a startup company receiving funding from a Vienna quango set up to do such funding. Seems also mass production is the intention, when marketing more widely will come about.

Last edited by custral (13-12-2012 22:30)

custral wrote:

There's a fair rundown on this page -

Musicplayer Forum

- including prices. Elsewhere (though how current the page was who knows), it seems this is a startup company receiving funding from a Vienna quango set up to do such funding. Seems also mass production is the intention, when marketing more widely will come about.

Farther down in the MusicPlayer post referenced by custral. one MP forumite noticed
that  Lachnit is selling off Fatar key-contact boards (in German).

Apparently,(on edit-according to forumite AlCoda) Lachnit is stripping the  contact boards off the Fatar actions and installing
a light sensor assembly  (PNOscan??) to tha Fatar action.

'Kind-of what our friend Sigasa was doing a while back.
Very interesting!
rhombic

Last edited by rhombic (14-12-2012 00:08)

Incidentally, that light-sensor style of MIDI key Note On / Note Off velocity sensing goes back to some of the very first MIDI keyboard (Sequential Circuits Prophet T8 et al)

rhombic wrote:

Apparently,(on edit-according to forumite AlCoda) Lachnit is stripping the  contact boards off the Fatar actions and installing
a light sensor assembly  (PNOscan??) to tha Fatar action.

'Kind-of what our friend Sigasa was doing a while back.
Very interesting!
rhombic

Yes I can confirm, according to the images on one of the Lachnit sites/pages, the action is indeed a Fatar action, and yes, it's the TP40WOOD! I think I'd recognise that action from any angle - probably in my sleep!

Kindest Regards,

Sigasa

Great detective work finding the TP40WOOD!  As I recall, sigasa, you had great success installing the PNOscan on the Fatar action.  For any interested readers, you can see the very detailed thread here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=2043
Any thoughts on your setup after a year?

Based on the Google-translated page, it looks like the Lachnit doesn't support aftertouch, which is now a useful feature thanks to the Clavichord add-on.  I guess you can't have everything.

I have read the German parts of the Web site. They report in one place (poorly labeled) that they plan on releasing new models in 2013, including an 88-key version with aftertouch, and a 97-key version (apparently for Bösendorfer fans). Is this a first? I've never heard of a 97-key MIDI controller before.

The 88-key model that they have for sale now comes in two versions: one with a "standard" piano action, and another one which they claim is "regulated to the classic Viennese action" which I interpret to mean that they are trying to emulate the key feel of a Bösendorfer! But they don't mention the Bösendorfer brand name anywhere, probably because they have no legal right to do so.

By the way, the limited English pages on the Web site are written poorly. It sounds like they took some of their German pages and ran them through Google Translate to get English. The results are awkward and certainly not idiomatically correct.

Last edited by Wheat Williams (15-12-2012 04:33)
Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave • Apple MacBook Pro (2017), no Touch Bar • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 core • 8GB RAM

One important feature about machines like this is the WEIGHT - I think it says 24kg? That's heavy enough to make taking it to gigs a pain-in-the-ass, although not impossible (My Hohner Clavinet weighs something similar).

The Studiologic Acuna88 is 16kg, which is much more appealing:
really, it all depends on what the keyboard action is like!

For the price they're charging, I'm expecting it's amazing!

feline1 wrote:

One important feature about machines like this is the WEIGHT - I think it says 24kg? That's heavy enough to make taking it to gigs a pain-in-the-ass, although not impossible (My Hohner Clavinet weighs something similar).

The Studiologic Acuna88 is 16kg, which is much more appealing:
really, it all depends on what the keyboard action is like!

For the price they're charging, I'm expecting it's amazing!

Yes feline1, one could do a lot, lot worse than an Acuna88 ! Great control of dynamics and a vastly improved velocity response consistency as the Fatar website claims of the TP100L/R the Acuna utilises.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

hi!
I just bought a FLK Masterkeyboard. (Studio version for 3490€)

I live in Vienna and i am a Jazz-pianist. the guy who builds them did work for 10 years at Bösendorfer and has a lot of experience. It's a fatar action, but Fritz takes it completely apart and builds in every key seperatley. the keys are wodden and he polishes them to get the grand touch feeling. I like the fact that my keyboard was built totally by handwork
Personally, I never played on a keyboard, that came so close to a real grand piano. that's the reason I bought it. I can't afford a grand piano, so I need something similar to practice on - and i've tried a lot before, like the V-piano. I will also use the flk to play tequnically more challenging gigs - all the funk, pop, ect. gigs i am playing with my Nord electro 3 HP.

I hope I could get enough information

At last, an actual review from someone who actually owns one!

I guess the question is: OK, it feels great to play. But does it feel *€3000* better to play than an Acuna 88?

are you serious?? ^^<

you can't compare a 500€ to a 3400€ stagepiano.
the point is, as a pianist, you want to have a keyboard that comes as close as possible to a real piano. for me, it's the flk. I never played on a keyboard with this high quality. the great thing is that the cover is made of steel, the keys are  completely wooden - every piece is well selected.
so, yes. for me feels *€3000* better than every 500€ keyboard.

the only compareable piano is the V-piano (or maybe this kawai digital piano). i nearly bought it but it still costs 5000€ or so. i decided to take the flk - cheaper, better action and better materials. my nord electro 3 hp is completely made of plastic^^ now the difference feels so huge.....

lol yes I *am* being completely serious.

Many of the other MIDI master keyboards on the market have wooden keys, "weighted hammer action" etc, a better MIDI spec and also (very importantly for gigging) weigh about 10kg less than the FLK, so as a potential buyer I definately wonder if the FLK action is genuinely better by €3000's worth!

I will try and have a go on one myself at the Frankfurt Musikmesse in April, but until then I have to reply on other people's opinions. Thanks for sharing yours

You're welcome

yes, test it and then post your impression in this thread please!

liebe grüße

put it this way: if the FLK can polyphonic aftertouch, I'd already have bought one