Topic: A 4-pedal solution for Pianoteq?

Is anyone using 4 pedals w/Pianoteq? .... Pianoteq "progressive sustain" and "una corda" require continuous values. Yes? And the Pianoteq "sostenuto" and "harmonic" pedals are simple on/off switches. Yes?

One solution: The Roland RPU-3 unit has, if I'm understanding correctly, 3 pedals all of which output continuous values. The Keith McMillen USB Softstep can pedals that can function as on/off switches. So two of the Roland pedals for continuous values and 2 of the Keith McMillen pedals for on/off values == 4 pedals ...

I'll be using this w/a Numa so far as I know I'll only be able to connect two of the three Roland pedals to the Numa. Then the KM Softstep will connect to Pianoteq through a USB port on my laptop.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't require two different pedal devices or a solution that might be simpler or better or different?

Re: A 4-pedal solution for Pianoteq?

pianissimo wrote:

Is anyone using 4 pedals w/Pianoteq? .... Pianoteq "progressive sustain" and "una corda" require continuous values. Yes? And the Pianoteq "sostenuto" and "harmonic" pedals are simple on/off switches. Yes?

One solution: The Roland RPU-3 unit has, if I'm understanding correctly, 3 pedals all of which output continuous values. The Keith McMillen USB Softstep can pedals that can function as on/off switches. So two of the Roland pedals for continuous values and 2 of the Keith McMillen pedals for on/off values == 4 pedals ...

I'll be using this w/a Numa so far as I know I'll only be able to connect two of the three Roland pedals to the Numa. Then the KM Softstep will connect to Pianoteq through a USB port on my laptop.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't require two different pedal devices or a solution that might be simpler or better or different?

I do Pianissimo!!! I use the TUSB unit of my PNOscan as a standalone unit in a Fatar triple pedal. I don't have the forth pedal setup, but the unit DOES support 4 pedals. Funny you should ask but I'm waiting on the cost of TUSB units (without the PNOscan keyboard strips) from the European rep. As soon as I hear from him, I'll let you know the total cost of such a system including the pedal hardware.

And yes, it supports all PianoTeq's options, i.e. continuous sustain, continuous una corda etc..

Kindest Regards,

Chris

chris - thanx. so what exactly is the 'tusb' interface when separated out from pianoscan? it is a 'thingy' that can accept continuous and on/off data?

also are you using the 3-pedal fatar pedal device? is it 3 continuous pedals or 3 on/off switches? or some combination of the two? i'm assuming it lets u plug 3 pedals into the nums's two inputs for that. yes?

(thanx fror all info!)

pianissimo wrote:

chris - thanx. so what exactly is the 'tusb' interface when separated out from pianoscan? it is a 'thingy' that can accept continuous and on/off data?

IT IS RECOGNIZED IN THE MIDI9 SOFTWARE AS A 'CONSOLE' RATHER THAN 'STRIP' WHEN SEPARATED FROM THE KEYBOARD OPTICAL SENSOR STRIP.

also are you using the 3-pedal fatar pedal device? is it 3 continuous pedals or 3 on/off switches? or some combination of the two? i'm assuming it lets u plug 3 pedals into the nums's two inputs for that. yes?

I USE THE FATAR TRIPLE PEDAL AS A STARTING POINT. I TAKE OUT THE ORIGINAL ELECTRONICS (ON/OFF SWITCHES) AND PUT IN PNOSCAN'S OPTICAL PEDAL SENSORS. THESE MONITOR ALL MOVEMENT OF THE PEDALS WITH GREAT ACCURACY AND THE MIDI9 SOFTWARE ALLOWS YOU TO TWEEK THEM TO YOUR LIKING.
I'VE STILL NOT HEARD AS TO COST, BUT WILL LET YOU KNOW AS SOON AS I HEAR.

(thanx fror all info!)

KINDEST REGARDS,

CHRIS

The cost of the TUSB unit + cables + soft and sustain sensors + power adaptor is €375 TRADE PRICE.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

JcJet wrote:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm#
How about those ones to plug in the remaining pedals?

Thanks very much for that suggestion. Have a Keith McMillen Softstep on order ... will use that + a Roland pedal unit.

the midisolutions pedal controller looks a little overpriced to me. 149 USD for a pedal controller that can just read one additional pedal? sounds ridiculous to me. I'm currently developing such a controller as an open source "spin off" of my piano sensor strip. It can manage up to 8 analog controls to be sent as midi control changes(So up to 8 progressive pedals). Depending on your ability to solder it should cost way below 50 €.

Last edited by sebion (24-08-2012 09:29)
DIY digital piano on salvaged piano action with homemade optical sensor bar: http://sebion.wordpress.com

I still don't have a solid 3 pedal solution.
A CME GPP-3 was on flea bay asking $99.99, I offered $20 with the intent of discarding all but the pedals and frame - or maybe rebuilding it with upgrades as each failure occurred.
He rejected my offer, supposedly it went for the full asking price a couple of days later.

Anyway, the more I think about this the more I "want" 4 pedals and it is the HARDWARE 4 pedals that I would like to find.
I don't think many wooden pianos were built with 4, I can think of only one upright(Crown), and trying to separate a 4 pedal hardware set or a lyre from a piano re-builder would take time, patience, pleading and money in quantities I don't have.
I suppose one COULD cobble up something with a left, right and two straight middles from piano parts, but it would need its own "box", which could house the electronics.

...just thinking out loud here, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

The MIDI Expression Quattro will convert four continuous pedals (or 8 switch pedals) to MIDI for $119US

http://www.midiexpression.com/

If you want to build something yourself, the Brain Jr from Livid might be an option.

http://lividinstruments.com/products/builder/

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I had looked at the midi expression quattro earlier and if/when I get a reasonable set of physical pedals to work with I will most likely go with that.

The lividinstruments Brain thing looks a bit like an arduino based board.
Not sure I want to  go through another learning curve with that 
I currently have a smoothieboard project that I have to come up to speed on and will likely transport that knowledge to my next (non musical) project.

So, for ME a lack of suitable physical pedals is the big obstacle right now

Last edited by aandrmusic (17-02-2015 14:01)

Anyone figure out how to use a 3 pedal set and "insert" an extra straight one to get a decent looking
bent left, straight, straight, bent right; set and build them into a box ?
I suspect there may be a market for a garage based business for these and decent 3 pedal units - MIDI out and/or phono plugs.

Various 3 pedal sets are here, but I don't know if they would sell singles;
http://www.vandaking.com/piano-pedals.html
The Box might be simple enough to build the hinges into  ...maybe, maybe not.

Last edited by aandrmusic (19-02-2015 04:43)

Screw 4 pedal solutions - we need EIGHT pedal solutions to have all the nice pedals Pianoteq offers available at the SAME TIME!

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Screw 4 pedal solutions - we need EIGHT pedal solutions to have all the nice pedals Pianoteq offers available at the SAME TIME!

or a FULL AGO pedal board, plus 3 or 4 swells - oh, make that a round dozen too.

Hmmm, there don't seem to be any 5 or 7 manual organs on PTQ - too simple, or what ?

Hammond B3 anyone ?  Just 13 pedals and a couple of 60 key keyboards for that.
Simple sounds, just additive sine waves - done and DONE.

Last edited by aandrmusic (21-02-2015 15:59)

I've got this old 13 pedal unit gathering dust in a closet...Anybody interested? (Just kidding of course )
http://www.synthony.com/vintage/mp1.html

If I should ever need 4 pedals, I would build it with this 4-analog-inputs-midicontroller ...

http://www.doepfer.de/we.htm

... and 4 single Roland DP-10 Pedals.

The whole unit has one MIDI-Output and the benefit of providing continuous controllers.

You might remember this:  http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...66#p936566

cheers