Topic: Give your opinion about favorite Pianotq preset.

I would like to hear everybody's opinion about the your favorite Pianoteq preset.
    Please give your comment.

Personally I prefer the Sebastien Erard model, since it have a beutiful sound and, in my opinion, closer to fully natural than any other pianoteq preset. The sound for me it's quite more natural in tone than Grand C2 models.

My only complain about the Sebastien Erard add-on right now is the lack of loud FF and FFF sounds for single notes strikes. For FF and FFF strike of three notes together we get a nice loudness, but not for single notes.
    Had anybody else noticed that too?

I'm sure futther versions of Pianoteq will solve this small problem, and get bether and bether.

Re: Give your opinion about favorite Pianotq preset.

I prefer the Sebastien Erard too. it has got a well balanced sound. though i have to use an extern eq to raise higher frequencies for more brilliance, espacially if i use it in a mix. i think that's a global problem of pianoteq. frequencies above 2000-3000 Hz could be louder.

even the c2 "bright" muffles a bit in my opinion. the only preset absolutely well balanced and brilliant is the "Blanchet".. and that's no piano
but i'm sure too, that further versions of pianoteq will get better. right now, if you think about sample pianos and the improvement pianoteq has done, it's unbelieveable it can even get better.. but it will i'm excited

I am delighted with the F.E. Blanchet harpsichord, it has given me much pleasure. It has been a particular delight to play the wonderful keyboard works of G.F. Handel, which aren't generally too difficult (at least in comparison to J.S. Bach's) and also they leave lots of opportunities for improvisation which is fun. I recommend the two Chaccones in G, HWV 425 & 442 - fantastic!.

One key to the remarkable success of the F.E.B. preset is its choice of temperament, i.e. Werckmeister III. I had little interest in temperament before now, but the marvellously pure consonances available are an unalloyed pleasure to the ear and deeply satisfying to play.

I now see why many musicians of that time were so reluctant to give up these tunings, and in fact I would even go so far as to say equal temperament is a poor second choice in much of the Baroque repertoire. Handel appears rarely to go beyond 2 or 3 sharps or flats, and so there is very rarely a problem. The key of Ab has some strangenesses in W-III, as does C-minor, but one gets to live with the occasional odd harmony.

My main preset is a modified Grand C1-Mellow, but that's pretty mainstream.

P.S. I would partially agree with miki about the high frequency components. Certainly after playing the F.E.B. for a bit and then switching back to a "normal" piano it sounds really dull, as if someone turned the treble tone control down!

The Sebastien Erard is my favorite, too. I absolutely love the tone. Once in a while, I use Graf pianoforte or the CP-80.

There's  a poll in this forum, started by the developers, that asks everyone to check their favorite preset and then comment. Commenting there, even though the additional instruments like the Erard are not listed, might let the developers more easily compile data about who's using what and why.

But I wonder--are we falling into a bad habit by choosing one preset, as though we're on an old rompler that only had one good piano?

More generally, I hope more people will try all of the presets for longer and experiment with editing them--I tried the M1-Rock once or twice long ago and neglected it for ages before returning to find good edits. (Largely by applying eq and other settings from other fxp's as a point of departure and then making other small changes.)

My favourite piano is the Erard - mellow, natural sounding, fits delightfully in my electro/pop music.

I also love the Yamaha CP-80, which I find to be wonderfully realistic - this is an instrument I know from many of my favourite records (Ultravox, Magazine, and, ahem, Buggles ;0) and it sounds great

The harpsichords sound brilliant to me too

Finally, the old Graf and Schantz pianofortes sound wonderful to me - very "Rentaghost"

Hmmm... I'm relatively new to pianoteq. One of the first things I did was to replace a sampler with piano samples in two existing songs by pianoteq - which isn't too easy because of the sampler's lack of details that misleads you to playing somewhat sloppily. So I had to tweak some notes and the sustain controller and also experiment a lot with different piano models and Pianoteq's parameters. Initially I didn't want to use the same piano for both songs as they had been different before... But finally and after wholeheartedly trying the Bechstein for one song it turned out to be the Erard for both songs but with quite different settings. I am convinced I will use others for new songs, but there obviously is a magic richness and variety in the Erard that makes it well-suited for different purposes.

That said, the overtone faders are really great if you find something unpleasant about a certain piano. Personally I found the eighth harmonic to be annoying with different piano models, so I reduced it. Also I generally like reducing the second harmonic as it gives a more chime-like sound. If you dislike a sound you can first pull the harmonics up one by one to find out which are the malfactors and then reduce them.
Honestly, I would never go back to sampler sounds, but like real instruments Pianoteq claims ones skills and engagement.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others