Topic: USB Soundcard with Pianoteq?

I have been using an Echo Indigo IO PCMCIA/Cardbus sound card for some time and despite the best efforts of Echo support I can only conclude that the documented compatibility issues around the ENE Cardbus controller on my laptop cannot be resolved. This causes frequent crashes of the card and/or the laptop which is a pity because the sound quality (when working) is really good. I may well also have a fault with either the card or the Cardbus slot because the slightest physical contact also causes similar problems. I suppose ordering up a replacement might prove something but that’s a risk.

So, it’s time to find an alternative card and given the above, I have been contemplating switching to a USB solution. However, a PT user on another forum advises that this is NOT a good solution, especially using with Pianoteq.

Does anyone here use such a device with PT and have any comments or recommendations?
Thanks, Paul

Re: USB Soundcard with Pianoteq?

i have used the Audigy ZS2 notebook soundcard  successfully with pianoteq. this is a PCMCIA card. it even supports a 64bit operating system and is 24bit/96. it is just as good as the one you have and comes with great software. i have just given it to my step son but if he doesn't want it i will let you know. all the best, sigasa.

I have used a TASCAM US-144 USB audio device with Pianoteq. It works fine, with very low latency.

I've been testing  2 USB cards (M Audio & Alesis) and 4 Firewire cards (Alesis, ESI, Presonus & Yamaha MLan, they ALL work fine with Pianoteq on 2 different laptops...

I control Pianoteq from a Novation X-Station, which is both a controller and USB audio interface. It works just fine and latency is not an issue.

I'm using the TASCAM US-144 USB audio box, too, and getting good results.

Many thanks for these responses (and reassurances).

Taking the TASCAM US-144 USB as an example, can I presume that I would be able to bypass/remove my current Midi Sport 2x2 MIDI interface (between piano and PC)? It looks like the TASCAM does this conversion as well as being a sound card.

The reason I ask is that the TASCAM US-144 manual (on their website) states:

"Some USB devices access the USB bus frequently. To avoid dropouts and clicks
in the audio signal, we strongly recommend that you do not connect other USB devices to the USB bus used by the US-144. USB keyboards and mice are exceptions
to this, and will probably not cause problems".

Presumably this is why some people have concerns.

Another question: with my PCMCIA card it isn't possible to record (to a sequencer or similar) directly from browser-generated audio without a loopback cable. Is this an issue with the TASCAM or other USB devices?

Thanks again. Time to start shopping!
Paul

If the Midi Sport 2x2 MIDI interface is a USB to midi interface that you use the same way as a normal midi interface, the answer is that you just leave it plugged in, running it from the midi out port on your keyboard to a USB port on your computer.

You then plug in the Tascam US-144 to another USB port on your computer and plug your headphones or monitors into it. In other words, the Tascam US-144 is only connected to the computer. You don't connect it to the keyboard at all. The midi-to-USB cable is a separate thing connected to a separate USB port on the computer.  All it does is send the midi data in. If it works now, it will keep working once you plug the Tascam into your computer. When you install the Tascam drivers, they tell your computer to bypass the default soundcard and output the sound to the Tascam device. (Imagine the sequence: the keyboard sends the midi data to your VSTI, and then the VSTI outputs the sound to the external soundcard, the Tascam, to which your headphones are attached.)

This arrangement was confusing to me, at first, since I had an internal pci M-Audio 24/96 card in my old computer that required me to plug both my midi cables and my headphones into it. So the natural assumption was that I needed to plug the keyboard into the Tascam and then the Tascam into the computer. No need for that. Just leave the keyboard plugged into one USB port on the computer and plug the Tascam into another USB port on the computer.

The reason that some of these outboard sound cards seem confusing is that they have their own midi in and out receptacles.  Thus it seems logical that you connect your midi keyboard to them. Yes, you could connect an old-fashioned midi cable to the Tascam and then run another cable from the Tascam to your computer, but then you'd still need a midi to USB cable to make that last connection to a USB port on the computer. So it's easier to just plug the keyboard directly into your computer and plug the Tascam, or whatever USB soundcard you choose, into your computer, too.

(When I bought the Tascam, the salesguy told me that I would need to use the midi in and out receptacles only if I wanted to send midi sequences from the computer to the keyboard, if I had a rompler keyboard with its own sounds. They also let you use the USB soundcard with older, pre-USB computers. I suspect that other people will find them useful for more complex set-ups that involve midi-through and several keyboards.)

Not sure how this turned into such a long post. Just leave your midi to USB cable plugged in, connect the external USB soundcard to another USB port on the computer, and plug your monitors\headphones into the USB soundcard.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (04-03-2008 01:53)

Thanks Jake for the comprehensive answer. That make perfect sense.

So to my last question :  how does the USB box behave with PC-generated audio, e.g. browsers and Windows media player or even PT itself? Does it allow direct audio recording from these, say, to a sequencer or any MP3 recorder? My Echo PCMCIA does not without using a loop cable between i/p and o/p. The (terrible) onboard card does allow this though.

Well, I can record PianoTeq and other vsti sounds without any loopback, but after reading your question, I'm not sure how, exactly. I'm getting a little confused, now.

In Windows, I have the Tascam set as the recording and playback sound engine, so with the Tascam just hooked up to the computer via a single USB cable, everything is recorded and played back through it.

But I'm not sure how: Since the Tascam US-144 is connected to the computer by a USB cable, the vsti would have to be outputting sounds through the USB cable to the Tascam  so I can hear them, and at the same time sending them back to the computer's hard drive, recording them. Or is the sound loaded into RAM from the Tascam, so the hard drive is taking it from there while I also hear myself play?

In any case, it works.

Thanks Jake and others: I won Tascam on ebay yesterday so I look forward to trying all this for myself. If it doesn't crash all over the place like my Echo/Cardbus did, it will be bliss! I can concentrate on music 100% instead of messing around with reboots, etc. I'll report back soon on my experience.

(You did get the US-144? Be sure to download the latest drivers and interface from the Tascam site. I don't think they're on the CD that comes with the unit. Be sure to follow the installation steps carefully, too: they're a little idiosyncratic, requiring you to unplug the unit at one point and then plug it back in.)

Well I have taken delivery of the Tascam US-144 and here are my first impressions. It’s an impressive if somewhat bulky piece of kit but installation was easy using the drivers and latest firmware from Tascam's web site. The fact that it’s USB powered is great.

Connecting up to use Pianoteq was also problem-free except that at Normal latency setting I was getting occasional audio clicks so, as recommended in the manual, I changed to the High Latency setting which seems to work well. Sound quality to my ears sounds as good as anything I’ve heard (through headphones at least).

I did mention previously about the ability to record PC- generated audio (browser, BBC iPlayer) directly to a sequencer. As with my previous card I found that this was not possible so again I have to resort to a loop cable, i.e. from the phono o/p sockets to the twin ¼” mono line-in jacks. This also seems to work OK.

Best of all I seem to have been liberated from all the issues previously mentioned with my PCMCIA card, no PC crashes as yet! 

Thanks for the recommendation. Back to the music!

I have been using Tascam's FireOne audio interface the last year (Firewire connection to PC, rather than USB), and have found it to be rock-solid as regards stability. I keep visiting their website for possible driver updates - but there have never been any!

I worried about the bulk at first, but now I like it: having the big knobs on top of the unit means I can put it on the keyboard and see all of the controls easily. It also feels solid, as though I could drop it and not have to worry. Not an experiment I want to try.

About the loop-back situation: What sequencer are you using?

Jake Johnson wrote:

About the loop-back situation: What sequencer are you using?

I am using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 but this is not a sequancer specific issue; I get the same results using Audacity.

Still very happy with the Tascam. No issues using with PT and I can use any number of  other applications whilst simultanously listening to audio without any interuptions.

In terms of the loopback questions, it's not a problem with the host, it's a "problem" at the OS level. If you need to capture a signal that's running through your computer in a different application into your sequencer, you need to have a sort of "virtual patchbay." There *are* a few audio interfaces that do this--I use a Metric Halo, myself, but MOTU also makes devices that will do this, as do others (the Metric Halo sounds incredible, though!). The other option is to use a program like Jack OSX, which is for Mac OS X. It will allow you to take a signal from anywhere in your computer and route it anywhere else.

Of course, if this is in regards to a file already on your hard drive, it's simpler to just import the audio into your sequencer of choice. But I assume that's not all you're trying to do.

M1 Mac Mini | Metric Halo ULN-8 | Pianoteq 7.4.2

Thanks for the reply but I don't think I'll be paying out for anything further. I am quite happy to use the loopback lead from line-out to line-in. It does work perfectly OK.

I have found one issue that I haven't seen before and is presumably attributable to the Tascam. In Cakewalk sequencer, when playing back a MIDI track through any DXi synth including Pianoteq, at whichever point I start playback the pitch level varies crazily for several seconds before settling down to play correctly. Exporting the same song to Wave or MP3 works and plays OK.

As another forum contributor has said, cakewalk is sending an instruction to Tascam to play a note, so its up to the Tascam to actually produce the right pitch but there aren't too many parameters to change.

Has anybody seen/heard this before and have any explanations please?

just as a point of clarification:  something like the JackOSX mentioned above is absolutely free to download and use.  If you can't get it working with that, then it's probably a hardware issue.  But there's a good chance that all you need is something in software that can give you the options you need to get a particular source talking to a particular sink (patch bay).

And as a disclaimer, all this advanced computer audio stuff is completely new to me and I am often very confused and overwhelmed by the sheer options, variables and parameters (let alone what they all mean and how they interact...).

Just as a techie recommend using Firewire external sound card, USB cards are bit cheaper however USB has weak performance when transmitting constant rate streams and higher latency for communication. So if you care about really low latency and high resolution FW card may be better solution.

I've heard good opinion about MOTU UltraLite FW interface. I have high desire to get it, however it is 549$ on Amazon.com while over 1000$ here in EU/Poland, so waiting for an occasion to visit US.

My life is... Image Reconstruction, Electronics, Synthesizers...

I'm using M-Audio fast track pro. Excellent performance with very low latency (5 ms). For my level of playing it is low enough.

in all honesty, isn't 5ms latency low enough for most anyone's level of playing?  i mean, what is the latency/response time of a round-trip signal between the tips of the fingers and the brain (and ears)?  surely there are a few milliseconds in there where we can't notice anything happening faster than that...

Is it normal that Pianoteq stand alone version crashes everytime I change ASIO driver settings in preferences?

If using under FLStudio, there's no problem, but stand alone version crashes almost everytime I change buffer size.

The obvious answer would seem to be 'no' but where are you making these changes. I presume you are using a USB device but not the Tascam US-144 discussed in this thread because there are no such settings on there.

Contrary to other sound card types, i.e. PCMCIA/Cardbus,  I have never had crash problems with the Tascam in standalone. In fact that device causes more problems when used with Sonar Home Studio 2004 in DXi synth mode where I get unstable pitch results on playback.

I've never had a crash when changing driver preferences. (Using the Tascam us-144, here.)

What soundcard\audio interface are you using?

Just guessing, based on my experience with other programs and drivers, but have you tried:

1. Updating all of the drivers.
2. Deleting old versions of the drivers.
3. Making sure that the new drivers are active? Assuming that you're using Windows, going into the Control Panel, double-clicking on Sounds and Audio devices, clicking on Audio, and setting the driver that you want to use in both the Sound playback and Sound recording fields. (It's wise to do this if you've upgraded a driver, even for the same soundcard\device. If the drivers show up as the defaults, change them to something else, and then click OK. Then go back into the same panel and change them to the correct drivers again. I know...)

Using Alesis IO|2.

Latest drivers yes.

Not tried re-installing drivers because they are working fine with all the other applications. Never had any kind of problems... Strange.

Have to do some more testing.

Hi All

there are two subjects i want to remark about - and hear the opinions of the good people of this forum :-) :

1) 5ms

is not negligible at all when it comes to playing in a band. Last night I took pianoteq to band practice because i thought of using it for our first performance. It is jazz, and just like any other genre - timing is critical.
I use pianoteq alot while performing. But for this band's rehearsals i used to use only my Roland FP-3's internal piano preset, because I was l lazy to log around my laptop.
The band is starting to sound really tight - but as i was using my laptop - i had severe timing problems due to the 5ms latency. I really feel it and it's hard to keep a tight groove. Other pianists who have tried my setup have felt it as well.
So - I decided not to use pianoteq for this band. Which is a shame because I really love pianoteq.

So this is not a "complaint" about pianoteq. It is about using vst instruments for live band playing.
Does anyone share these thoughts with me, have any suggestions? going below 5ms i start hearing clicks. (my laptop processor is a 1.8ghz dual core amd).

2) should i really use an external sound card?

All the product advertisements talk about low latency (as low as 5ms) again 5ms is not enough for me, and i think that the bottleneck in pianoteq's case is the processor.
With ASIO4ALL i get 5ms from my internal sound card.

The other thing is about sound. I understand that an external sound card may be better for recording, especially the 24/96 cards. Although I do get nice results when i use my internal sound card's line in with a simple mixer (that has mic preamps). But for playback - why should i get significantly better sound from an external sound card? when i play an mp3 from my computer through a PA system it sounds fine - I don't think its worse than a portable cd player.
I did once try an m-audio external sound card with pianoteq, and i don't think i heard any noticable differences ...

I talked about the upsides that people usually refer to in external sound cards, and i am yet to be convinced.
Regarding the down sides for live performance:
1) it is something extra to worry about - carry around, hook up, place, setup, and care for
2) it is an extra layer of hardware that could go wrong, have buggy software, etc ...

what am i missing ?

happy new year
-- Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

There is something that has been bothering me with the "latency" issue.

I was having trouble getting rid of the clicks when playing Pianoteq live through my digital piano.  On the ProductionForums, it was suggested that I increase my latency to 20 ms.  I had always thought that one had to have 5 ms or less latency or the delay would be objectionable.

Sound travels at approximately 1126 fps in dry air (343 metres per second).  So in one millisecond (1.00 ms), sound travels 1.126 feet or .34 metres.

If I was playing on a stage 32.8 feet wide (10 metres) with one other musician on the opposite side of the stage from me, then his sound would take 32.8 ft divided by 1.126 ft/second = 29 milliseconds (10/.343) to reach me.

29 milliseconds?  That's way more than 5 milliseconds, so I guess we wouldn't be able to play together would we?  But this happens all the time with groups on a large stage, so what's going on?

And how do large school bands marching down the street that often stretch out over a length of 50 or 100 feet ever play together?

We might want to explore this further.

To solve my problem, I set the latency on my sound card (using ASIO) to 20 ms, and couldn't "feel" the difference between 20 ms and 5 ms.

The reason that sports events (like the Olympics) use electronic timing as opposed to humans with a stopwatch, is because humans can't be relied upon to operate a stopwatch accurately enough.  When the swimmer hits the "end" the signal is sent at the speed of light (which is a bit faster than sound).  If humans timed an extremely close race, we would likely give the gold medal to the second place finisher.

Note to Etalmor - my processor is a dual core AMD, and at 10 ms latency I get clicks, but not at 20 ms.

Glenn

EDIT (11 Jan 09):  Clarification of the above is in order.

The click problem isn't likely my soundcard as it's an EMU 1820M.  Before I first attempted to use Pianoteq live (through the keyboard), I dutifully read the manual, and mistakenly thought that I had to use Pianoteq as a
VSTi.

I downloaded VSTHost, set everything up, and it worked but the latency was horrible and simply unworkable.

By accident I discovered it worked when VSTHost wasn't loaded and working; then I tried ASIO with my soundcard, and discovered that even with the latency set at 20 ms, I couldn't discern the time delay between hitting a key and hearing the sound.

I've tried the latency at 50 ms, but this IS noticeable.

Last edited by Glenn NK (11-01-2009 18:45)