Topic: Feature request: Q factor modulated by velocity

[Already answered, I found out by reviewing an earlier post.]

I may be mishearing, but it seems as though the rate at which the high frequencies are cut remains the same, regardless of the velocity at which I strike a key. So if I slide the Q factor slider all the way to the right, and hit a note soft or very hard, the high freqs seem to die at about the same rate of speed.

Wouldn't high frequencies generated with more force take longer to die down--not because the force would overcome the resistance of the wood, but just because they would be bouncing around in the piano longer? The amplitude slope would be less steep, in other words. Might this at least be an option to turn on or off: Modulate Q-factor with velocity.

Or is the intention that since the Q applies strictly to the soundboard, only the effect on the soundboard is considered? If so, is another element responsible for sustaining these sounds within the piano needed--not the resonance of the strings, the soundboard, or the global resonance, but instead the rate at which the vibrations inside the cabinet die down? Not convolution--I understand the problems with cpu use there.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-02-2008 16:12)

Re: Feature request: Q factor modulated by velocity

Yes!  I second this.  Besides the velocity modulation, it needs to be modulated by tracking too (key #).  Configurable curve might be good in this area too.

Re: Feature request: Q factor modulated by velocity

Actually, looking back over a post I made several months ago, I see that this question has already been answered--the Q is just for the soundboard impedance, so force has no effect. Sorry for asking twice.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-02-2008 16:11)