Topic: New member from UK

Hi Folks

I have just installed the trial version of Pianoteq and have sorted the latency problems that I had but have two more to discuss with you.

Single notes are fine until I play chords and then the distortion hit in. I have tried altering various settings without avail. I play a Yamaha DGX-620 into an Eltax amp and record on Sonar in audio, not midi.

Secondly, I can't record into Sonar while Pianoteq is live.

The distortion problem is the most important to resolve if I am going to purchase the full version.

many thanks

Re: New member from UK

Just making a few questions and guesses, here. (It may be a problem setting up the sound card.)

But first:
Do have a high setting in PianoTeq for either polyphony or the sample rate? (See the lower right corner of the interface.) Does reducing either or both of these get rid of the distortion?

If there's no problem there:

Can you describe for us what you mean by distortion--pops and clicks, or distortion in the sense of electric guitar distortion--fuzz, crackles, and\or high-pitched random noise?

Are you using an ASIO driver?

On the interface for your sound card, have you experimented with setting the clock to Internal or to default?

Since the distortion only starts when you play chords, it sounds as though memory or the load on your CPU is playing a role. Have you gone through the usual steps of optimizing your computer for sound--setting the resources for background instead of for programs, turning off the original sound device, etc?

Have you increased the latency still more, higher than you may want, just to determine if this removes the distortion?

What is your sound card? Does it work fine with every other VSTI that you load into Sonar? Do have the latest drivers for the soundcard?

Is Sonar set to use the same soundcard and drivers as PianoTeq? Could there be some kind of conflict there?

Any IRQ conflicts? Have you installed any new devices lately, like a big screen monitor or usb mouse, that could be competing for resources?

Are you using a USB hub? The advice I've read says to use as few USB devices as possible when playing music.

Are you turning off your wireless internet and unloading any programs that might be taking up memory--virus blockers, etc (which you won't need if you have your wireless internet connection shut off...)

Sorry for all of the questions, but if you check each of these potential problems, you'll probably find a solution.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (19-02-2008 00:26)

Hi Webster,

(and thanks Jake for the reply with suggestions)

Sound saturation (0 dB) starts when you play chords with more than approximately 4 notes at maximum velocity (127). Depending on the sound card, you can reach this saturation much earlier (there are cheap DAC which saturate from -18 dB). Reducing the volume in Pianoteq should solve the problem.

Regards,
Niclas

Hi
Many thanks to Jake and Niclas for the time taken out to amswer my queries.

Reducing the volume slider did the trick with the distortion so thanks for that. 

My soundcard is a Soundblaster Live 5.1 digital and I have reinstalled the drivers from the original CD. 

I am sure that there is conflict between the drivers used by Sonar and Pianoteq but I am hoping that I may have a solution. I am using the Asio driver.

I record in audio in Sonar with line in and line out to the Eltax amp., so what if I install Pianoteq to a laptop and use the USB midi link to the DGX620 and then use the existing line in to the PC to record in Sonar.   Would that work do you think?

I will also try again with wireless internet off - good thinking Jake!

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards

Ron

SB Live 5.1 not suports ASIO driver ... , For these things U need SB Audigy 2 ZS , card or SB X-fi series cards , or  AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 or more "specialized" cards for DAW's . Or U can download driver asio4all , install it for use with SB Live 5.1 ... , maybe it will helps .

(I only had the long list of questions and suggestions because I recently set up a Tascam US-144, so all of these things were on my mind.)

I hope you can get it working with ASIO4All or Direct Sound. If not, you may need to buy an external USB sound card. There's a recent thread with people making recommendations.

With Direct Sound U will have more latency . Better to use not external USB , but external FireWire sound card , because when I check some equipment with USB before  ( yamaha mixers with usb  , sound cards ... ) , all of them U can use only in live aplications , but not for recordings , it's hard to explain now in few words , but there is some artifacts , like floor noises , which always changes depends of sound characteristics , when playing , ... most when playing  pp - mf , softly . But if U need to use for live aplications and play rock or boogie woogie , - no problem U can use USB . Or before buy USB card , check on full level , soft sounds and listning , how many noise garbage really it have , most on soft sounds , like if U play pp-mf on piano or some sinus waves from synth.( swich off effects ). If U not hear anything noisy from this card , O.K. U can buy it . I'm worrying , because some cheap USB cards have not enough good D-A  converters . Everything depends of money... USB for home recording sometimes enough.

I would try TC electronic.