Topic: Digital pianos of our dreams. What Pianoteq need to reach there????

What you think that needs to turn Pianoteq into The Digital Piano of Your Dreams?

For me, considering the quick improvements in short time, I would say a couple of months to refine sound even more, despite of already very good, and some changes.

Proposed changes:

-Add preset for emulate exitent real pianos like Steinway B, D, O, Bosendorfer, Fazioli.

- New slyder to controll atack (in modelled terms, how quick the damper cut the sound of strings).

-Sliders to some controls along keyboard range. Some sliders could be enhanced by allowing intensity adjust along keyrange, bass, middle, treble.

-More Dynamic sound, specially for Fortissimos. Trebble require more Fortissimo.

-Adjust of Real Dynamic along keyboard. Real Dynamic means not sound signal, but the powerfull of string reaction.

-5.1 output option.

-Special sound output to noise sounds. The noise sounds it's listened by pianist, but not by audience, since have not the same power of string sounds. A less powerfull speaker could be used to noise sounds. optional, of course.

-3Dsound emultion for headphones, like Roland's Grand Space, giving the senssation of sound coming from a point  ahed from the player.

-Microfone virtual position along soundboard. For who work in studio recording could be very usefull.

-Mp3 and wave Slow Down for sound signal. Like the software Slow Down, able to turn the music slower without change the frequency of music. The is made by repeating micro fraction of the sound signal.  it's usefull to take fast music by ears.

-Adjust of keyboard range for pianofortes presets, since many had limited range of keys, and some Pianoteq presets have large keyrangwe.

-Damper break point adjust. Pianos have not damper in the last keys, but the number of undamped keys vary from a brand to another. the adjust would allow to set how many last keys would have no damper.

If it's the case, adjust for sound signal or sound distribution on channels, to allow proper connect Pianoteq into sound system from grand Digital Pianos, which have Mini Grand Piano body with speakers ditributed inside and lid. 
      See example in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElfOzBbwoNI.  (This Kawai model it's far from be the best on the World.

It's a bit crazy think about  create all those proposed changes. But I want the opnion of you all about what is the best sugestion among all those.

Re: Digital pianos of our dreams. What Pianoteq need to reach there????

Hi Beto-music,
Your knowledge is huge in term of pianos... I wonder where you learned all that, and I still impressed how sensitive and accurate is your hearing for you to have noticed all that (lol)!
Maybe Pianoteq needs to become even more famous and the team will make it even more perfect with all the features you mentioned. I think it's only about time... For me it's also very nice to add some features beyond emulation too ^^ don't you think so?

I don't pretend to know all technical and theoretical details of what's really going on in the piano and I only have my hearing and I think Pianoteq is already super, except for a few small things in the sound:

So i base my 'knowledge' on the reaction of sliders in pianoteq and the difference it produces in sound when you alter them.

In the high notes range theres still some synthetic stuff that you hear because some very high overtones continue to resonate too long (it's as if they become a static waveform and die too late, making the timbre sound too metalic and I guess that natural high resonance from snares have to decay more quickly: right?

Also it would be cool to be able to choose a keyboard follow envelope for the hammer noises, because it seems that some of the octave 1 range keys have no natural string attack , or it's slightly too faint, could that be?

So could it be solved by creating an envelope that topples the volume level entirely across the keyboard from low to high, or from high to low.. or make it multi polaric, so you could : - like you can in the frequency window, - adjust the levels of the hammer action with as many poles as you desire...?

Is it also possible to choose to keep or remove that early reflection delay effect you hear if you set the reverbration slightly more to the wet position ? I guess this could be related to the OP's proposal for multiple mic positions... and the way they pick up the sound..

maybe you could use 'pickup' as a mic too, to eliminate the early reflection effect ??

What would be cool is an 'old snare' effect (to create further unusual pianos). I'm not entirely sure but Usually you can do that by shifting the fortmant of the overtones lower than the tone pitch itself, lets say if you could change the formant like 2 octaves without changing the pitch itself: you'll have the desired effect ... It might be suitable to create harp like sounds ?

that's it for now...

VegaNova wrote:

Hi Beto-music,
Your knowledge is huge in term of pianos... I wonder where you learned all that, and I still impressed how sensitive and accurate is your hearing for you to have noticed all that (lol)!
Maybe Pianoteq needs to become even more famous and the team will make it even more perfect with all the features you mentioned. I think it's only about time... For me it's also very nice to add some features beyond emulation too ^^ don't you think so?

I'm just a pianpo beginner.  Sometimes I got afraid of speak some foolish.
     I once sugested also try to think about like a piano manufaturer dreamer, and not only like about recreate real pianos:  "If you was a piano manufaturer, with the limitation of existent material and construction technics, and suddenly get powers of a God, what would you modificate on a piano?

Piano size adjust, to giant levels, already got something like that, but I can't notice much impressive diference. Perhaps I would need bether speaker (Monitors) in a appropriated environment to notice more.
     Also I imagine to add new pedal effects. Some pianofortes, inclusive Graf which have a version  Pianoteq, had 5 pedals.   Since most controller and digital pianos have 2 or 3 pedal, we could switch the function of each one on screen.
     What about vibrato effect option for pedals? Or volume adjust, like in guitars?

Maybe it's just my taste, but I need to say that Pianoteq it's really very good for classic music, while for pop... I would wait for changes.

What I mean is that a Steinway it's good to any style. Any music will sound well on a Steinway.

Check out this page with the Boogie Woogie Midi competition invitation I sugested:
http://www.boogiewoogiepiano.net/piano-...ition.html

Hear the mp3 created with the Boogie-Woogie-Meadley Midi.  I used Graf pianoforte with few alteration, cause all other pianos, even the Hoky tonk, didn't sound good for this style of music.

Any tuned upright piano would sounded good, nice, with this Boogie Woogie music. But Pianoteq classic models lost something with this music.

I can't describe in words what is it. Can anybody help?

Maybe what you think about is the dark sound of real Steinway pianos.
What I noticed is a lack of low-frequency harmonics in Pianoteq's sound compared to a Steinway D piano.
I hope I found the words to say what you think Beto...